PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Films: Brady 21st All Time Best Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always held the belief that most people living in Connecticut were Giants fans. But, then again, I've lived in Florida for a long time now.

Mostly Giants fans living in Fairfield and New Haven Counties. Litchfield and Hartford counties are the land of in-between, and the rest seems to be Patriot country.

My family, mostly from New Haven and Hartford counties, has Giants fans, Patriots fans, Yankees, Red Sox, Knicks, Celtics, Rangers, Bruins, UConn, UMass, etc. No Jets fans though. :D

Where's Michael Bishop ranked on the list? :D

OK, any of you guys that are yankee fans, I'm sorry but I don't have any respect for you.

Hater!!!!!!

how can you say that when the Yankers played a class guy like Horace Clarke?

To see that there are seven quarterbacks ranked higher than 12 strikes me as insane. Brady is in the Montana category right now, has been since 07, and with another ring there will be no disputing his greatness. Hell, if Tyree didn't have stick'um on his helmet and Harrison wasn't doing adds for AARP he would already be regarded as the GOAT. Cool to see Jeter introduce him, too. I don't get the vitriol for him from Sox fans. While I was raised a Sox fan, I soon came to realize that baseball is about as gay as a sport can get, and simply respected winners. Jeter and Brady are pretty good comparisons when it comes to playoff ball and winning.

Agreed with the Jeter thing, I could really care less about baseball. It could have been Kermit the Frog introducing him, and I wouldn't care.

Personally, I have Brady ranked around 15-20 with only one QB ahead of him. I have no qualms with him being ranked 21st (There have been a hell of a lot of AMAZING players, Like Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, etc) , just that there's so many QBs ahead of him irks me.

These lists always glorify the old timers and always underrate the current players.

I'd agree that Brady belongs above Favre and Marino. After that, there's at least room for argument. By the time he retires he'll be in the top 10-15 talk.

The only QB I could understand being higher than #12 would be Montana.

Marino, lovely passing arm and lots of records, but his playoff record is terrible. Would you really pick him to lead your team before #12

Favre? Seriously. Pressure panic pick 6. Holds pretty much every record but then if anybody else on the list had played till they were 41 they would be record breakers too. Anybody picks him on their team before #12 needs to pick a new sport.

Elway- Is it possible he's higher simply because of the drive?

To see that there are seven quarterbacks ranked higher than 12 strikes me as insane. Brady is in the Montana category right now, has been since 07, and with another ring there will be no disputing his greatness. Hell, if Tyree didn't have stick'um on his helmet and Harrison wasn't doing adds for AARP he would already be regarded as the GOAT. Cool to see Jeter introduce him, too. I don't get the vitriol for him from Sox fans. While I was raised a Sox fan, I soon came to realize that baseball is about as gay as a sport can get, and simply respected winners. Jeter and Brady are pretty good comparisons when it comes to playoff ball and winning.

Am I allowed to hate Jeter just because he gave Jessica Alba herpes? :(

Does anyone have a head to head stat comparison between Brady and Manning?

Does anyone have a head to head stat comparison between Brady and Manning?

Yea, It's 3-1. End of Story.

Oh yea, and theres only like 2 guys (QB's) that have more rings than Brady.

Joe Montana Tom Brady Peyton Manning
Playoff Record:
16-7 14-4 9-8
Playoff TD-INT:
45-21 28-15 27-18
Super Bowl Record:
4-0 3-1 1-1
Super Bowl TD-INT:
11-0 7-1 2-1
Super Bowl Passer Rating:
127.8 99.88 81.80
Super Bowl MVP’s:
3 2 1

THE 'TALENT' ISSUE
Indianapolis might have a better shot at winning a Super Bowl should it put more emphasis on defense. But the organization has made a strategic decision to sacrifice defense in an effort to surround Manning with the greatest talent possible and to sell tickets to a fan base that desires high-scoring games. In fact, according to salary-cap gurus such as Peter King of Sports Illustrated, no team in the NFL has a greater imbalance between the money spent on offense and the money spent on defense. This imbalance was only furthered in recent years, as Manning was signed to a preposterous $98 million deal and wide receiver Marvin Harrison inked a $67 million contract extension. In the salary-cap era, every dollar given to one player on offense is one dollar taken out of the pocket of a player on defense.

It’s a strategy that seems to have Manning’s full support. In fact, in the 2001 draft, Manning lobbied the team to select wide receiver Reggie Wayne of Miami in the first round despite the fact that the Indy offense already featured a future Hall of Fame receiving talent in Harrison and despite the fact that the porous Indy defense surrendered 20.4 PPG in 2000. (The Indy offense averaged 26.8 PPG in 2000.)

Manning, himself a No. 1 draft pick, was surrounded by top-pick talent in 2004 at

* wide receiver (Wayne, Harrison)
* tight end (Dallas Clark)
* running back (Edgerrin James) and
* offensive tackle (Tarik Glenn).

That’s six of 11 offensive starters who are No. 1 draft picks. At least one, Harrison, is a lock for the Hall of Fame. James is a potential Hall of Famer. Manning had the luxury his first year in the league of handing the ball to future Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk, one of the most prolific offensive players in NFL history. Manning has also enjoyed the luxury of offensive Pro Bowlers ever year that he’s been in the league: Faulk (1998); James (1999, 2000, 2004); and Harrison (1999-2004).

In other words, the Colts have purposely built a team that gives its quarterback a chance to pad the stat book.

Brady has built his prolific career with a much different set of tools. Consider that he’s New England’s only offensive player to be named to the Pro Bowl since 2001 (New England running back Corey Dillon appeared in the 2004 Pro Bowl, but only as an injury replacement). Brady’s top receiver has been Troy Brown, an NFL journeyman who was drafted in the 8th round (198th pick) out of Marshall. Meanwhile, consider the pedigree of the players on the receiving end of Brady’s six Super Bowl touchdown passes:

* Deion Branch (a second-round draft pick from Louisville)
* David Givens (a seventh-round pick from Notre Dame)
* David Patten (an undrafted free agent from Western Carolina) and
* Mike Vrabel (a journeyman NFL linebacker).

New England’s offensive line in 2004 featured a second-round draft pick (Matt Light), two fifth rounders (Dan Koppen and Russ Hochstein), a seventh-round pick (Brandon Gorin) and three undrafted free agents (Stephen Neal, Joe Andruzzi and Tom Ashworth). In 2005, New England’s offensive line will finally future a first-round draft pick, guard Logan Mankins, who’s likely to fill the starting spot left by Andruzzi.

Most successful quarterbacks, meanwhile, depend upon a punishing ground game to open up the passing lanes for them. But

* the 2001 Patriots won the Super Bowl with the league’s 13th ranked ground attack.

* the 2003 Patriots had the 27th ranked ground attack, the lowest ranked rushing attack of any Super Bowl champion.

* the 2003 Patriots averaged just 3.4 yards per rushing attempt. Among all Super Bowl champions, only the 1970 Colts (3.3 yards per carry) had a more ineffective ground game.

Last edited:
I am not a Pats fan, but I have Brady 4

I would put Unitas, Montana, and Elway ahead of Manning and Brady

I think Peyton and Brady are a push, so the SuperBowls trump everything else.

Brady should be 4.

Farve and Marino come after those 5, and pretty far after as I look at it.

I think there is a big gap after 5

both Brady and Manning could move up should they finish their careers strong (another SB or 2, big regular seasons, etc).

I am not a Pats fan, but I have Brady 4

I would put Unitas, Montana, and Elway ahead of Manning and Brady

I think Peyton and Brady are a push, so the SuperBowls trump everything else.

Brady should be 4.

Farve and Marino come after those 5, and pretty far after as I look at it.

I think there is a big gap after 5

both Brady and Manning could move up should they finish their careers strong (another SB or 2, big regular seasons, etc).

Really? 4th Best?

NFL records
Highest total passing touchdowns in a regular season: 50 (2007)
Highest total passing touchdowns in a season: 56 (2007)
Highest total passing touchdowns in a single quarter: 5 (2009)
Highest completion percentage in a single game: 92.9% (2007)
Largest touchdown to interception difference: +42 (2007)
Most consecutive wins in post season: 10 (2001, 2003, 2004)
Tied for most completions in a Super Bowl: 32 (XXXVIII)
Most career Super Bowl completions: 100 (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLII)
Most games with three or more touchdown passes in a regular season: 12 (2007)
Most touchdown passes in a month: 20 (October 2007)
Only quarterback to start and win 3 Super Bowls before his 28th birthday.
Most career overtime wins without a defeat: 7-0
Most consecutive completions to start a career without an interception: 162
Only quarterback to have 3+ passing touchdowns in 10 straight games.
Fastest quarterback to reach 100 regular season wins as a starter (131 starts).
Career bests
Highest single-game quarterback rating: 158.3 (at Miami, October 21, 2007) Perfect Rating
Highest single-season quarterback rating: 117.2 (2007) 2nd highest all-time
Highest single-game completion percentage: 92.9% (vs. Jacksonville, January 12, 2008) NFL Record
Highest total passing touchdowns in a game: 6 (at Miami, October 21, 2007 and vs. Tennessee, October 18, 2009)
Highest total passing touchdowns in a quarter: 5 (vs. Tennessee, October 18, 2009) NFL Record
Highest total passing touchdowns in a regular season: 50 (2007) NFL Record
Highest total passing yards in a game: 410 (vs. Kansas City, 2002)
Highest total passing yards in a season: 4,806 (2007)
Lowest interception total, season (minimum 2 starts): 8 (2007)
Largest touchdown to interception difference: +42 (2007) NFL Record
21-game win streak statistics (including post-season)
690 passes attempted
412 passes completed
4,953 passing yards
34 passing touchdowns
13 passes intercepted
20.29 passing attempts per touchdown
53.07 passing attempts per interception
59.71 completion rate
90.3 passer rating
Career
101–31 (regular season), 115–35 (career) as a starter
8–1 (career) in overtime games
30–6 (career) vs. NFC teams
30 game-winning drives after a Patriots' fourth-quarter tie or deficit[58]
Post-season records and statistics
NFL record for most consecutive wins in post season: 10 (broke record of Green Bay's Bart Starr).
Most consecutive post season wins (college and professional combined): 12
3 Super Bowl victories
2 Super Bowl MVP awards
Most completions in a Super Bowl (32 in Super Bowl XXXVIII)
Most career Super Bowl completions (100 in four games)
Highest completion percentage in a single game, minimum 20 attempts (26 of 28, 92.9%, against Jacksonville in 2007 AFC Divisional round)[

In 2004 and 2007, Brady was named "Sportsman of the Year" by The Sporting News.[2] He was also named the 2007 NFL MVP, as well as 2007 Male Athlete of the Year by the Associated Press, the first time an NFL player has been honored since Joe Montana won in 1990.[3]

Last edited:
Joe Montana Tom Brady Peyton Manning
Super Bowl TD-INT:
11-0 7-1 1-1

Not to be picky, but Manning has two Super Bowl TDs. One to Garcon in SB 44 and one to Wayne in SB 41.

Not to be picky, but Manning has two Super Bowl TDs. One to Garcon in SB 44 and one to Wayne in SB 41.

Yea, and not to be picky but Brady beat the Greatest Show on Turf and Peyton beat Da Bears..... :eek:

I don't remember Brady ever throwing a pick in a superbowl.

NFL Videos: Top 100: Tom Brady

can't believe jeter presents him in the video. :eek:

also can't believe brett favre and unitas are ranked higher.

People ignore Favre's interceptions and poor postseason results like nothing I've ever seen, but that's the way it is. No way I would rather have Favre than Brady.

That said, 21st in the history of the NFL is not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes