PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Needs Analysis: Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been touting Mack for a while. If we could get another late first rounder from somewhere, I'd grab him in a heartbeat.

He'd need to be able to move to guard. And even then I'm hesitant to spend a 1st round pick on a guard. IF he is as good as touted he might be worth a look in the 2nd round, but that's where I want to take a safety. There's going to be lots of interesting choices for BB to make, that's for sure.

Been reading that Mack has played some RG this year and was switching between C and G during the drills the other day. He weighed in at 6'4" - 312 the other day, and his frame looks ideal for both positions. He could be a superb long term replacement for Neal.

VC, who would you take in the first then, if you wouldn't take a Safety?

I'm high on Moore, real high, but he's not going to last to us. I liked Chung for the second round but by all accounts he's had a poor week so far. And he's a second rounder at best.

Been reading that Mack has played some RG this year and was switching between C and G during the drills the other day. He weighed in at 6'4" - 312 the other day, and his frame looks ideal for both positions. He could be a superb long term replacement for Neal.
I like Mack, though the folks covering the Senior Bowl and making a big deal out of his ability to handle B.J. Raji seem to forget that California played a 3-4 defense this past season - Mack had a lot of practice dealing with that kind of load being up in his grill all the time.

I'm not high on drafting an OL before Day Two, but I do have an interest in getting a mid-round player who will upgrade that reserve interior OL slot's athleticism and has the other tools to develop into a long term starter...which may mean the Pats are looking for someone like Unger who was able to move inside from LT - Unger himself would be sweet, but I can't see using a Day One to get him unless he's a significantly higher value than any other option at that point in the draft. Mack, Woods, Urbik, Caldwell are all looking like decent candidates to consider.

I'm high on Moore, real high, but he's not going to last to us. I liked Chung for the second round but by all accounts he's had a poor week so far. And he's a second rounder at best.
Moore's stock is sliding for teams who were considering him as a S. It's too bad he's not getting work as a LB this week because that might have boosted him for the Tampa-2 defenses.

Chung is looking like a second rounder, but he's holding his value nicely as they have him battle WR. I think Delmas has worked his way solidly into the second and Rashad Johnson may also be headed there when the Senior Bowl is over.

From following the Senior Bowl, it appears clear that no safety this year carries a first round grade. Moore's stock has been falling a lot, he might even drop out of round 2. Delmas and Chung have both looked more impressive.

That being said, I'm not sure yet if Moore's bad showing at the SB indicates that he's not nfl caliber, or if it's just an isolated case of poor performance. I've been pretty high on Moore up until this point, so I'd temper my judgment on that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News