PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name your favorite "I'm glad I was wrong" Pats moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Pete Carroll is going to work out well here. Hell, Georger Seifert recommended him!"

"Ugh, Bill Belichick. Guess we'll suck for another few years."

"This Brady kid looks decent. Maybe Belichick is leaving him as the starter to showcase him for an offseason trade."

I've never been wrong so unfortunately I cannot contribute.

No way he takes a CB here...

...and "Jeez, why the hell is he taking that Rutgers kid when Kyle Wilson is still on the board!?"

"David Terrell's still on the board, why's he taking Seymour? He's too tall for a DT and not quick enough for a DE."

"Wilfork will never make it down to us. We better give up a ton to go up to get him."

...and of course after the Mo Lewis/Drew Bledsoe hit. "Ah crap, we're screwed."

Last edited:
Biggest.
I'm at Pats-Jets game 2 of 2001. We'd just lost to a lousy Bengals team the game before. In a close game, the Pats sack VT and recover his fumble deep in Jets territory. But wait! Refs rule no fumble, an incomplete pass and Jets ball. I turn to my buddy and say "The NY lovin' refs are makin stuff up here" Welcome to the Tuck Rule. To be fair we in the stands got no explanation on why the obvious "fumble" we saw with our own eyes close up, wasn't.

Same game, Bledsoe injured. Obvious to all he wasn't gonna play for a week or more. Pats lose the game going 0-2 to start the season. Walking out of the stands I say to my friend, "This season's over already. I've had it with ripping my heart out for this team." And me not a Bledsoe butt boy anymore. Fortunately, once my emotions cooled down I remembered how good and how much better than Bledsoe Brady had looked in my several visits to training camp in Smithfield, but that cooling down took several days. I HATE losing to the Jets.

Last edited:
I've been wrong about this team so many times I can't even count that high.

There are three that stick out.

May, 2004-"Corey Dillon is a wife-beating, washed-up drunk who's loser attitude will hamstring this offense and Brady's development into an elite passer and as true leader of this team."

Feb, 1997-"This team will won't come close to another Super Bowl with Bob Kraft chasing a coaching legend like Bill Parcells out the door. Great coaches won't want to come here because we have a meddlesome owner who doesn't know his place."

January 20th, 2002 (sec. 221, covered with snow after Woodson strip-sacked Brady)- "It's over."

My god. :p

Last edited:
:confused:

Im not sure you really understood the question (no offense).

Lol....I was happy I was wrong because it made me tougher as a fan.

I probably should have picked a more logical one but that's a memory that always sticks with me, so I used it.

I've only obsessively followed the team since after the 2009 season (although I've been a fan since just about 2004--not a bandwagoner, just young). The only real "glad to be wrong" moment I've had was when they picked McCourty.

- Super Bowl 36: before the game I'll admit my thoughts were mainly "I hope the Pats don't get blown out" due to a combination of memories of Super Bowl 20 and the way Rams had been crushing most of their opponents that year. Rather than expecting the Pats to win I was just hoping they wouldn't be embarrassed.

- After game 2 of the 2001 season I figured the Pats were going to go about 3-11. I just saw what was in my opinion a mish-mash of guys on the downside of their careers (Bryan Cox, Antowain Smith) and JAGs, mixed in with players that weren't living up to their draft status (Terry Glenn, Willie McGinest, Kevin Faulk, Adrian Klemm, Andy Katzenmoyer). At that point in time my opinion was that the most talented players that might be able to carry the team were either injured (Bledsoe), suspended (Glenn), or under achieving (McGinest). Obviously I was glad I was wrong on how the season would turn out.

- For the reasons outlined above I was already wondering if the Patriots would make a change in mid-season, after the season was over, or give Belichick one more year. I was actually thinking 'why postpone the inevitable' and that Kraft should start planning and researching who his next HC would be now rather than waiting till later. Very glad I was wrong on that too.

- I was also second guessing the logic of trading draft picks for Belichick at that point as well.

- At some point in the 2002 season - it may have been when they lost four in a row - I was sure the team was just a one-hit-wonder, a fluke where everything went right one year. In my mind I reached the conclusion that that group was not going to win any more championships, but at least I had the memory of that one Super Bowl victory to fall back on.

A good number of mine have already been covered but I am proud to say I knew the tuck rule before that hit and knew that would be overturned. My latest collossal blunder was trying to read the tea leaves in the trade downs last year....I really thought BB was after Tebow and was horribly wrong(as most of us were) about McCourty. I was late getting on the Brady bandwagon too, especially after Bledsoe helped win that Pittsburgh playoff game. And I would say the next biggest happy to be wrong moment was in 04(I think)where the colts had first and goal as the clock wound down.....and Willy came up with a HUGE play.....

....and Willy came up with a HUGE play.....

That's one of the few non-SB plays that I remember exactly where I was, what I was wearing, and what I was eating. Amazing play.

I am shocked no one said this one yet

Sept. 2008.....Brady on IR?:eek:.....Just great,Cassel sucked in preseason and now he is going to be starting QB?

BB should have brought in Simms or Rattay or Garcia

With Cassel we will be 8-8 or worse :bricks:

"Belichoke! Bill Belichoke is the new coach of this team, and we gave up picks to get him! What the hell are we thinking" I think was close to my exact quote when I heard the BB trade with the NYJ. Except add F-Bombs wherever you want.

Bashing the Devin McCourty pick...nuff said!!!
Most of us would be willing to admit that the team would be worse off if we were running things. We've all had those moments of thinking a decision that was made was horrible. We've also been surprised by how things turned out for the team at times. I'd like to know of your favorite times that you were happy to be wrong.

For me, I won't include any draft decisions. I've always been willing to give each pick a chance, even if they passed on someone I've really wanted, so I can't say I was ever completely wrong for not liking a pick. Here are my top 5:

5. I can't remember which year it was but I had given up on Kevin Faulk. He seemed to fumble at the worst possible times and I was done with him.

4. I always thought Tedy Bruschi was our best player that would never make a pro bowl. With the other MLBs in the AFC, I figured he would never get in. I was stoked to see him finally get his shot.

3. The Snow Bowl. We weren't getting the ball back during the review, then once we did, there's no way Vinatieri is making that kick, in those conditions, especially after they showed the stat that he was like 1 for his last 7 from that far out.

2. We just made the final cutdowns to go into the 2000 season. With Bledsoe, John Friesz and Bishop already here, why were we wasting a roster spot for a 4th string QB that would never play a snap?

1. Week 2 of the 2001 season was over. We were 0-2 and it was announced that Bledsoe would miss significant time. Well, we are going to suck, here's hoping we suck all the way and get the top pick!

It's great to be wrong.

I am never wrong with the Patriots but I am guilty of over-reacting to Ron Brace's first season.

I was also raving about Terrace Wheatley's footspeed based on his Combine workout tape (however I was the first to note his fragile bones).

But I have had other genuine full-blown gaffs such as Larry Fitzgerald. Years ago it was tough to judge players based on the 15 seconds of highlights that ESPN would play on draft day. I watched the Larry Fitzgerald college highlights (all 15 seconds or whatever) and saw that he was covered like a blanket on a long TD grab. I assumed that Fitz was just another big slow WR that the draftnics seem to love so much. Wrong! Whoever was covering him on that play must have been pretty special. Woodson? And he turned out to be a great character guy; the ideal Patriot alas.

I am shocked no one said this one yet

Sept. 2008.....Brady on IR?:eek:.....Just great,Cassel sucked in preseason and now he is going to be starting QB?

BB should have brought in Simms or Rattay or Garcia

With Cassel we will be 8-8 or worse :bricks:

Ah good one! I forgot that one; yea I think that everyone and I mean everyone was fooled by that.

Ah good one! I forgot that one; yea I think that everyone and I mean everyone was fooled by that.

Reluctantly, I'll agree. Although I argued strongly against the herd that wanted Cassel cut in August (foolishly because it was obvious he was running specified practice plays that BB wanted run in pre-season), when Tom went down at first I thought we'd finish at .500 with Matt instead of Tom at QB. A remarkable feat by that team.

Ive never been wrong since I'm a koolaid chugging, dont question anything homer. So I have that going for me.. which is nice ;)

I am never wrong with the Patriots but I am guilty of over-reacting to Ron Brace's first season.

I was also raving about Terrace Wheatley's footspeed based on his Combine workout tape (however I was the first to note his fragile bones).

But I have had other genuine full-blown gaffs such as Larry Fitzgerald. Years ago it was tough to judge players based on the 15 seconds of highlights that ESPN would play on draft day. I watched the Larry Fitzgerald college highlights (all 15 seconds or whatever) and saw that he was covered like a blanket on a long TD grab. I assumed that Fitz was just another big slow WR that the draftnics seem to love so much. Wrong! Whoever was covering him on that play must have been pretty special. Woodson? And he turned out to be a great character guy; the ideal Patriot alas.

So why are you glad you were wrong about all these things?

He made Lonnie Paxton give us an INTENTIONAL SAFETY!?! Why don't you just hand the ball off to Denver and head for the exits!

Greatest call I ever made from the bar I'm banned from.

"Pete Carroll is going to work out well here. Hell, Georger Seifert recommended him!"

"Ugh, Bill Belichick. Guess we'll suck for another few years."

"This Brady kid looks decent. Maybe Belichick is leaving him as the starter to showcase him for an offseason trade."

Yeah - I think you have the best 3 right there

If anyone thought these they go right to the front of the line.

I've been wrong about a lot of things but those three were not any of them.

On Carroll had had strong misgivings about having a "player friendly coach" after Parcells. Ultimately it became clear that the players didn't respect him either.

I thought Belichick was the perfect choice especially after Carroll and had no problems giving up a 1st round pick for him - though I never truly imagined he'd spark a Dynasty with Brady at the helm.

On Brady, by the SD game in 2001 I knew we were onto something good, and that Belichick wasn't about to go with the "starters don't lose their jobs because of injury" theory of coaching.

But I'm VERY glad you were wrong!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case