PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name your favorite "I'm glad I was wrong" Pats moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Most of us would be willing to admit that the team would be worse off if we were running things. We've all had those moments of thinking a decision that was made was horrible. We've also been surprised by how things turned out for the team at times. I'd like to know of your favorite times that you were happy to be wrong.

For me, I won't include any draft decisions. I've always been willing to give each pick a chance, even if they passed on someone I've really wanted, so I can't say I was ever completely wrong for not liking a pick. Here are my top 5:

5. I can't remember which year it was but I had given up on Kevin Faulk. He seemed to fumble at the worst possible times and I was done with him.

4. I always thought Tedy Bruschi was our best player that would never make a pro bowl. With the other MLBs in the AFC, I figured he would never get in. I was stoked to see him finally get his shot.

3. The Snow Bowl. We weren't getting the ball back during the review, then once we did, there's no way Vinatieri is making that kick, in those conditions, especially after they showed the stat that he was like 1 for his last 7 from that far out.

2. We just made the final cutdowns to go into the 2000 season. With Bledsoe, John Friesz and Bishop already here, why were we wasting a roster spot for a 4th string QB that would never play a snap?

1. Week 2 of the 2001 season was over. We were 0-2 and it was announced that Bledsoe would miss significant time. Well, we are going to suck, here's hoping we suck all the way and get the top pick!

It's great to be wrong.

The tuck rule play. When I first saw it, I turned the TV off and went downstairs to do some work. Nice comeback, but it has come up a bit short. I'm lucky I put a different TV on and heard it was being reviewed.

Last edited:
SB 36 I thought the Pats were collapsing at the end of the game. The Rams had finally woke up and were cutting us up like butter. I had seen this scenario dozens of times over the years.

Last edited:
Wow. did you actually think that on #2? I think most people (including myself) never gave it a thought.

OK, just as long as you don't tell anyone.:cool:

1. Thought that the Patriots would get killed in SB 36 (always prayed for the miracle). Didn't want us to lose our third and be on the path of the Buffalo Bills or the Vikings.

2. Was pissed when they drafted Kevin Faulk.

3. Thought that BB would be an epic fail as a HC.

However to make up for that, I did have the Patriots taking TFB in the 5th round of the 2000 draft.

My favorite "glad I was wrong" Pats moment actually involves the NY Toe-lover-ettes...

I thought at first Mark "Poquito" Sanchez was actually a grown man with a fully developed emotional sense of himself and others...boy, was I ever WRONG...

Narcississtic,an emotional dwarf, sexually ambiguous,incredibly needy, vacuously arrogant and obviously decades away from reaching any semblance of adulthood...he fooled me completely.

I've posted this before...

While walking out of my cousin's house after the 01 home finale vs Miami, which clinched the playoff birth, I said, "Brady is a good qb but he's not getting us to any super bowl."

Umm, yeah. Glad I was wrong about that.

Thought that the Patriots would get killed in SB 36 (always prayed for the miracle). Didn't want us to lose our third and be on the path of the Buffalo Bills or the Vikings.

That's exactly what I was thinking in the week leading up to the AFCCG that year. On the one hand, I didn't want to see us break our streak of being undefeated in the conference game (2-0 up to that point, didn't lose one until the debacle in Indy), but I thought if we made it to the SB, no way we were going to beat the Rams, and 0-3 was getting too close to Bills/Vikes territory.

Once we won in Pittsburgh, however, from that point on I was confident we would beat the Rams. (Relatively confident, anyway.)

As for my other "wrong" moments:

1) I got anxious in early 2000 when Tuna was being a dink about letting Belichick leave NYJ to take the NE job. I was afraid that the longer we went without an HC, the harder it would get for whomever it was to start the rebuilding process. In fact I actually wanted Kraft to quit screwing around with waiting for Belichick to become available and go with his second choice... whom I believe was Dom Capers. :eek: Likewise, I still thought at the time that BB was Parcells' "disciple" and would turn out to be as much of a jackhole as Parcells, so I didn't want him to come back to NE anyway.

2) Not only did I want Bledsoe to get his job back during the '01 season, I was angry that BB named Brady the starter for the SB. During the game I even hoped that Brady would get pulled in favor of Bledsoe. (In fairness, IIRC Tom wasn't as good with the long ball that first season.) Here in WI there are actually some dopes who are still mad about the whole Favre debacle and have decided not to root for the Packers until both Rodgers and GM Ted Thompson are gone, so at least I'm not the only one who's been stupid in a situation like this. ;)

3) After the humiliating 31-0 loss in Buffalo to open the '03 season, I actually believed Tom Jackson when he declared that the Pats players "hated their coach." At the time I still thought all those people telling me not to listen to BSPN were just homers (and fans of a lot of different teams were saying it, not just Pats fans!) So I thought, "Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I guess we'll just turn out to be like the Ravens or the Rams, win one Super Bowl and that's it." Hours later, however, the Pats destroyed the Eagles and I thought, "This sure doesn't look like a team that hates their coach..."

4) When I heard we had traded for Randy Moss during the '07 draft weekend, I thought it was a waste of a draft pick, and he would mainly sit on the bench and maybe see some time in multi-WR sets. Then in that opener against the Jets he looked un-freakin'-believable. Granted the next few seasons left a little to be desired, but boy that first season was a wild ride.

Belichick cutting Lawyer Milloy was a landmark move in my book as far as Belichick's tenure here, and I'm sure I speak for many in classifying it as an "I glad I was wrong" Pats moment.

WTF was Belichick thinking????!!!!!

Just letting go of a co-captain, not even getting anything for him via trade, letting him go to a division rival to play along side our own former QB? And this guy Rodney Harrison? I mean he used to be good but he's all washed up now - can we really expect him to be as good as Milloy? Can he step up to the plate?

Yeah.

That Super Bowl season cemented Belichick as an uber-Coach in my book right then and there - which is part of the reason I never once questioned his move on Randy Moss this season.

My absolute favorite didn't even involve players or coaches, per se. I thought for sure that Orthwein was going to move the team.

I'm very, very glad that I got that one wrong.

Last edited:
No way he takes a CB here...

Gave up on Willie McGinest during/right after the Pete Carroll era.. thought he was just a flash in the pan. :bricks:

Definitely Superbowl XXXVI.

I knew my Patriots: periods of mediocrity (and worse) punctuated by exhilarating runs towards glory that would, inevitably, end in disaster and humiliation. Oh yes, I'm so glad I was wrong ... :D

I hate to say it but i didn't think they could beat the Colts in the 04 playoffs with the secondary they had.

I second the "Kevin Faulk, serial fumbler" mention. I wasn't sure he was reliable enough to be part of the team's long term plans. Glad to be proven wrong about that.

As for something more recent, I was hoping the team would find a way to draft Vernon Gholston.

how bout im glad i was wrong the 2001 season was over after bledsoe went down. that has to be #1 for everyone

Many or most of mine have been covered, so I'll add one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Hiring Bill Belichick. I liked him as a DC in New England, and with the Giants, but I thought he was going to quit early on, or at the first hint of drama in Foxboro.

My first season following the Pats, meaning watching every game instead bugging my dad during games every 2-3 weeks. I was 7, we started 4-0 and I remember claiming that we were unstoppable to which my dad told me not get ahead of myself....well he was right.

I was young and really didn't know much about football yet....and I soon found out that 8-8 means your season is over, I was devastated but that season made me more appreciative of success.

Btw, it was the '99 season.

My first season following the Pats, meaning watching every game instead bugging my dad during games every 2-3 weeks. I was 7, we started 4-0 and I remember claiming that we were unstoppable to which my dad told me not get ahead of myself....well he was right.

I was young and really didn't know much about football yet....and I soon found out that 8-8 means your season is over, I was devastated but that season made me more appreciative of success.

Btw, it was the '99 season.

:confused:

Im not sure you really understood the question (no offense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back