PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Grandpa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never started a thread on here before for some reason (never needed to) but I felt this was a good way to break out.

My Grandpa is 101 years old. He was born on February 29th so he only gets a real birthday every 4 years :). I’ll be flying back to the East Coast later this month for his birthday party which will be a big production.

Grandpa has a PhD in Chemistry from Wisconsin. He had a great career as a chemical engineer. He discovered some critical properties of how DNA behaves in solution more than 70 years ago. In WWII he developed de-icing agents for fighter plane windshields. He has numerous patents including one for carboxymethyl cellulose which is widely used in the food industry and has developed advanced nanotechnology synthesis protocols for producing carbon filaments (that have huge potential for the future). At various points of his life he has spent time with Amelia Earhart, Martin Luther King, and Linus Pauling

Grandpa is still wicked sharp; he does free consulting for the company he used to work for and loves to launch into complicated ad hoc chemistry lessons on things like the relative merits of different conductive metals in batteries, similar to how Belichick will go off on the history of a particular Special Teams formation. He has a martini every day at 5pm, a tradition that has spread through the rest of the family.

Here’s an article about him in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few years back from when he hit the young age of 96:

Happy 96th to a science standout - Philly

Why am I posting a thread about Grandpa, you may ask? Well, he’s also a HUGE Eagles fan. He has watched every Eagles game that has been played at least since I was born (37 years ago). My first football memories are watching the Eagles with him when I would come visit (usually having just been kicked off the TV from playing video games). He isn’t very mobile anymore but he still hauls himself down to the basement to watch them once a week in the Fall. When they’re not playing he reads everything he can about them. I lived in Philly for a while and I can tell you that all the caricatures of Eagles fans being absolutely insane are almost all true, and sometimes worse. Grandpa isn’t *quite* that bad, but even though he is rational in all other aspects of his life, he is incredibly passionate about his football team. He is as happy as we’ve seen him in a while about their run to the Super Bowl.

Grandpa doesn’t like the Patriots very much after we beat the Eagles in 2004. I think he is a bit flabbergasted that one branch of his family tree grew up in Maine and are maniacal Pats fans, including his new Great Granddaughter who was born three days before we raised banner #5.

I’m very happy for Grandpa that the Eagles have done so well and hope that he gets a chance to see the Eagles win the Super Bowl. Maybe it will happen next year. Sorry Grandpa!

What a remarkable man. I hope he stays around long enough for Brady and Belichick to retire so that his team has a better chance.......a lot of people hoping to do that these days. If the Eagles win I'll be happy for him. Fk mazz though.

I’ve never started a thread on here before for some reason (never needed to) but I felt this was a good way to break out.

My Grandpa is 101 years old. He was born on February 29th so he only gets a real birthday every 4 years :). I’ll be flying back to the East Coast later this month for his birthday party which will be a big production.

Grandpa has a PhD in Chemistry from Wisconsin. He had a great career as a chemical engineer. He discovered some critical properties of how DNA behaves in solution more than 70 years ago. In WWII he developed de-icing agents for fighter plane windshields. He has numerous patents including one for carboxymethyl cellulose which is widely used in the food industry and has developed advanced nanotechnology synthesis protocols for producing carbon filaments (that have huge potential for the future). At various points of his life he has spent time with Amelia Earhart, Martin Luther King, and Linus Pauling

Grandpa is still wicked sharp; he does free consulting for the company he used to work for and loves to launch into complicated ad hoc chemistry lessons on things like the relative merits of different conductive metals in batteries, similar to how Belichick will go off on the history of a particular Special Teams formation. He has a martini every day at 5pm, a tradition that has spread through the rest of the family.

Here’s an article about him in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few years back from when he hit the young age of 96:

Why am I posting a thread about Grandpa, you may ask? Well, he’s also a HUGE Eagles fan. He has watched every Eagles game that has been played at least since I was born (37 years ago). My first football memories are watching the Eagles with him when I would come visit (usually having just been kicked off the TV from playing video games). He isn’t very mobile anymore but he still hauls himself down to the basement to watch them once a week in the Fall. When they’re not playing he reads everything he can about them. I lived in Philly for a while and I can tell you that all the caricatures of Eagles fans being absolutely insane are almost all true, and sometimes worse. Grandpa isn’t *quite* that bad, but even though he is rational in all other aspects of his life, he is incredibly passionate about his football team. He is as happy as we’ve seen him in a while about their run to the Super Bowl.

Grandpa doesn’t like the Patriots very much after we beat the Eagles in 2004. I think he is a bit flabbergasted that one branch of his family tree grew up in Maine and are maniacal Pats fans, including his new Great Granddaughter who was born three days before we raised banner #5.

I’m very happy for Grandpa that the Eagles have done so well and hope that he gets a chance to see the Eagles win the Super Bowl. Maybe it will happen next year. Sorry Grandpa!

National treasure. I would truly enjoy an afternoon of drinks and stories with him. Wish him well for me, but not enough that the Eagles win!

Win or lose the Eagles have a team that will strongly contend in the NFC for a few years ...

Giants have talent and will draft a QB. Cowboys are a threat if they can that coach. Packers get A.R back, Lions will have a potential great coach in Matty P, Atlanta , Carolina, and New Orleans are damm good.

Point is this: when you get to a SB, you've gotta seize the moment. Carolina two years ago is a perfect example. Everything bounced their way, until they played their absolute worst at the worst possible time. There's no guarantees in this league.

As for the story, it's touching. My cousin is a die hard Eagles fan...little too much. He missed mid terms in 04 due to depression from the Eagles SB loss.

Giants have talent and will draft a QB. Cowboys are a threat if they can that coach. Packers get A.R back, Lions will have a potential great coach in Matty P, Atlanta , Carolina, and New Orleans are damm good.

Point is this: when you get to a SB, you've gotta seize the moment. Carolina two years ago is a perfect example. Everything bounced their way, until they played their absolute worst at the worst possible time. There's no guarantees in this league.
Where do the giants have takent? They could be the least talented team in the league not named the browns.

You had to ruin a nice story and make me hate the old dude by telling me he is rooting against the patriots.
Family is great and all but there are 2 kinda of people in this world, those that root for the pats and those that root against them.

Odell, new QB, JPP, and Collins.
New QBs lol.
Odell is a head case who wants to be the highest paid player in the nfl.
JPP is horribly overrated.
The length of your list proves my point.

He's a single malt fan as well, after dinner sometimes. Martini has to be Beefeater's gin, otherwise you don't make it past 100.

Yup, more details in the article in the OP.[/QUOTE
He's a single malt fan as well, after dinner sometimes. Martini has to be Beefeater's gin, otherwise you don't make it past 100.

Yup, more details in the article in the OP.

Yup, more details in the article in the OP.

Make sure your Grandpa sees this thread. He will be very proud of you.

As a PhD chemist, he can at least explain the stupidity of the deflategate nonsense to the Eagles fans who are embracing all of the "cheaters" fairy tales this week.

I'd love to meet your grandpa.

You had to ruin a nice story and make me hate the old dude by telling me he is rooting against the patriots.
Family is great and all but there are 2 kinda of people in this world, those that root for the pats and those that root against them.

Yeah it was a gamble on my part, starting a thread about about someone who wants us to lose on Sunday! I was I just felt it was a story that had to be told.

But I've read enough of your posts over the past couple years to guess that you guys would probably get along despite your differences in NFL rooting interests.

Yeah it was a gamble on my part, starting a thread about about someone who wants us to lose on Sunday! I was I just felt it was a story that had to be told.

But I've read enough of your posts over the past couple years to guess that you guys would probably get along despite your differences in NFL rooting interests.
Dude i was totally joking.

Make sure your Grandpa sees this thread. He will be very proud of you.

Thanks Ken. I might pass it along. He doesn't really like being the center of attention though. He was pretty annoyed that we got the main newspaper in Philadelphia to write an article abut him (but we all loved it).

After we saw that 100 year old lady Millie at the Vikings game against the Saints, we were pretty sure that if we wanted to, we could tell the Eagles about Grandpa and get him tickets and festivities at the NFC championship. But he probably would have refused to go (which is good because I don't want him shaking Goodell's hand or anything horrible like that).

Dude i was totally joking.

Yeah I was operating under that assumption :D Although I was prepared for some rando dislike on the OP, probably from Chris Stevenson.

Yeah I was operating under that assumption :D Although I was prepared for some rando dislike on the OP, probably from Chris Stevenson.
It was a quality post.

As a PhD chemist, he can at least explain the stupidity of the deflategate nonsense to the Eagles fans who are embracing all of the "cheaters" fairy tales this week.

I'd love to meet your grandpa.

Well we had an argument about that. He brought up Deflategate almost immediately when I went to visit him and I was like 'surely a PhD chemist would be familiar with the Ideal Gas Law.' Guess what he countered with...that leather shrinks when it's doused in cold water, which decreases the volume of the system, which would compensate for the loss of temperature and keep the pressure constant! This board has probably spent millions of words on Deflategate and I bet nobody ever brought that up.

So that led to determining the volume of a football and how much it would have to decrease to lead to a conclusive outside influence on intentionally deflating the ball. Needless to say, his argument fell flat, and he admitted it (I don't think he had thought too much about it to begin with which tells you something about how 'normal' people perceive the situation).

It was a really interesting discussion, my wife videotaped it without my knowledge, mostly because she was amused about how adamant I was about the whole thing (I'm not nearly about to upload that video here though)

Here's hoping your grandpa has a glorious birthday and a very sad Feb. 4. ;)

Amazing man.

Hope he sees the Iggles win a SB someday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results