PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Grandpa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB_Helmet

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I’ve never started a thread on here before for some reason (never needed to) but I felt this was a good way to break out.

My Grandpa is 101 years old. He was born on February 29th so he only gets a real birthday every 4 years :). I’ll be flying back to the East Coast later this month for his birthday party which will be a big production.

Grandpa has a PhD in Chemistry from Wisconsin. He had a great career as a chemical engineer. He discovered some critical properties of how DNA behaves in solution more than 70 years ago. In WWII he developed de-icing agents for fighter plane windshields. He has numerous patents including one for carboxymethyl cellulose which is widely used in the food industry and has developed advanced nanotechnology synthesis protocols for producing carbon filaments (that have huge potential for the future). At various points of his life he has spent time with Amelia Earhart, Martin Luther King, and Linus Pauling

Grandpa is still wicked sharp; he does free consulting for the company he used to work for and loves to launch into complicated ad hoc chemistry lessons on things like the relative merits of different conductive metals in batteries, similar to how Belichick will go off on the history of a particular Special Teams formation. He has a martini every day at 5pm, a tradition that has spread through the rest of the family.

Here’s an article about him in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few years back from when he hit the young age of 96:

Happy 96th to a science standout - Philly

Why am I posting a thread about Grandpa, you may ask? Well, he’s also a HUGE Eagles fan. He has watched every Eagles game that has been played at least since I was born (37 years ago). My first football memories are watching the Eagles with him when I would come visit (usually having just been kicked off the TV from playing video games). He isn’t very mobile anymore but he still hauls himself down to the basement to watch them once a week in the Fall. When they’re not playing he reads everything he can about them. I lived in Philly for a while and I can tell you that all the caricatures of Eagles fans being absolutely insane are almost all true, and sometimes worse. Grandpa isn’t *quite* that bad, but even though he is rational in all other aspects of his life, he is incredibly passionate about his football team. He is as happy as we’ve seen him in a while about their run to the Super Bowl.

Grandpa doesn’t like the Patriots very much after we beat the Eagles in 2004. I think he is a bit flabbergasted that one branch of his family tree grew up in Maine and are maniacal Pats fans, including his new Great Granddaughter who was born three days before we raised banner #5.

I’m very happy for Grandpa that the Eagles have done so well and hope that he gets a chance to see the Eagles win the Super Bowl. Maybe it will happen next year. Sorry Grandpa!

Sounds like a great guy who has lived an incredible life. I’m almost ashamed to say that I hope his football rooting spirit is broken, come Sunday night.

As long as he's still alive Monday morning, I'll be happy. I'd hate to add Grandpa to the list of things that died before their time due to the Patriots, like the dynasties of the Rams and Seahawks.

I still remember when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004.
It was very touching to see how families honored elderly Sox fans after the victory both in this world and on the other side.
I hope grandpa enjoys the day ...

God Bless him for all he's done for himself, his family, and his country. I'm happy to see that he's still active. Staying active has been shown, time & again, to increase longevity and keep the mind sharp. My own father passed away last year at the youthful age of 98, and it was his activity and especially his reading and socializing that I am convinced kept him around for so long. He wasn't a football fan, but he did like basketball, especially the Utah Jazz.

I hope he has a fun and entertaining weekend, and isn't too upset when the Patriots win another title. ;)

Wait, is he a carbon nanotubes guy? I may have met him.

I’ve never started a thread on here before for some reason (never needed to) but I felt this was a good way to break out.

My Grandpa is 101 years old. He was born on February 29th so he only gets a real birthday every 4 years :). I’ll be flying back to the East Coast later this month for his birthday party which will be a big production.

Grandpa has a PhD in Chemistry from Wisconsin. He had a great career as a chemical engineer. He discovered some critical properties of how DNA behaves in solution more than 70 years ago. In WWII he developed de-icing agents for fighter plane windshields. He has numerous patents including one for carboxymethyl cellulose which is widely used in the food industry and has developed advanced nanotechnology synthesis protocols for producing carbon filaments (that have huge potential for the future). At various points of his life he has spent time with Amelia Earhart, Martin Luther King, and Linus Pauling

Grandpa is still wicked sharp; he does free consulting for the company he used to work for and loves to launch into complicated ad hoc chemistry lessons on things like the relative merits of different conductive metals in batteries, similar to how Belichick will go off on the history of a particular Special Teams formation. He has a martini every day at 5pm, a tradition that has spread through the rest of the family.

Here’s an article about him in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few years back from when he hit the young age of 96:

Happy 96th to a science standout - Philly

Why am I posting a thread about Grandpa, you may ask? Well, he’s also a HUGE Eagles fan. He has watched every Eagles game that has been played at least since I was born (37 years ago). My first football memories are watching the Eagles with him when I would come visit (usually having just been kicked off the TV from playing video games). He isn’t very mobile anymore but he still hauls himself down to the basement to watch them once a week in the Fall. When they’re not playing he reads everything he can about them. I lived in Philly for a while and I can tell you that all the caricatures of Eagles fans being absolutely insane are almost all true, and sometimes worse. Grandpa isn’t *quite* that bad, but even though he is rational in all other aspects of his life, he is incredibly passionate about his football team. He is as happy as we’ve seen him in a while about their run to the Super Bowl.

Grandpa doesn’t like the Patriots very much after we beat the Eagles in 2004. I think he is a bit flabbergasted that one branch of his family tree grew up in Maine and are maniacal Pats fans, including his new Great Granddaughter who was born three days before we raised banner #5.

I’m very happy for Grandpa that the Eagles have done so well and hope that he gets a chance to see the Eagles win the Super Bowl. Maybe it will happen next year. Sorry Grandpa!

Nice post. He sounds like one helluva guy.
But I don't want his Eagles to EVER win a SB.
I want the Patriots to win at least the next 5 straight.
Sorry Grandpa!

Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. I too had an amazingly brilliant and strong grandfather and no relationship I've ever had has been more important than that. He's the man I want to be.

That being said I hope your grandfather is not very happy Sunday night but wakes up happy Monday and has many more years of bliss ahead of him. A 5 AM martini might do the trick.

Nice post. He sounds like one helluva guy.
But I don't want his Eagles to EVER win a SB.
I want the Patriots to win at least the next 5 straight.
Sorry Grandpa!

Agreed! But if it had been Eagles - Jags I would have been rooting heavily for the Eagles.

Whenever we watch the Eagles during the regular season and something bad happens, we automatically say "Sorry Grandpa!" There'll be more than a few of those on Sunday.

The other joke we have is that during the Superbowl halftime shows he is always incredulous about what passes for music these days. That includes the Rolling Stones edition!

Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. I too had an amazingly brilliant and strong grandfather and no relationship I've ever had has been more important than that. He's the man I want to be.

That being said I hope your grandfather is not very happy Sunday night but wakes up happy Monday and has many more years of bliss ahead of him. A 5 AM martini might do the trick.

Ya gotta have a good relationship with your grandpa if possible, especially those who lived through a World War or two and the Depression. They have experienced some mind-bending moments in this country's history, and probably have a lot to say if we listen closely. I hope to return the favor one day to my grandchildren, who will ask me what it was like to see the greatest quarterback of all time win nine Super Bowls.

Ya gotta have a good relationship with your grandpa if possible, especially those who lived through a World War or two and the Depression. They have experienced some mind-bending moments in this country's history, and probably have a lot to say if we listen closely. I hope to return the favor one day to my grandchildren, who will ask me what it was like to see the greatest quarterback of all time win nine Super Bowls.

Hell, just living to 101 is an astounding feat by itself. Not even to mention all the really cool things he's done.

Win or lose the Eagles have a team that will strongly contend in the NFC for a few years ...

Tell your grandfather we send him our best, and will toast him with a drink of our own during the Super Bowl. Tell him that, as an Eagles fan, he's got to be used to disappointment by now and that we have no intention of changing that for him in any way on Sunday.

Tell your grandfather we send him our best, and will toast him with a drink of our own during the Super Bowl. Tell him that, as an Eagles fan, he's got to be used to disappointment by now and that we have no intention of changing that for him in any way on Sunday.

He could have been following the Eagles since they began in 1933, when we was 25. Amazing. He also could have seen their back to back titles 65 years ago in 1948-49. That was when he was pushing 40. Yeow.

But this is the NYFL so it's sorry gramps, wait'll next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back