PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss: "I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
if moss is gone, now we need to worry about 2 WRs.

2?

With Welker out for awhile who else is there than Randy Moss?

I think the Pats have a shot at having the worst WR corps in the league

Re: Moss:"I don't think they going to extend my contract here"

FWIW, the Pats have outright stated, according to some, that they're tightening the purse strings in preparation for the lockout. For all that we know, that might be what Moss was referring to.

I don't see why some fans are upset with what Randy had to say. He went out of his way to be respectful to the Patriots organization and the way they do things. He was appreciative of what the organization has done for him and sounds like he wants to play in New England in 2010.

I am not sure how many people remember this, but Randy Moss had a better offer from the Philadelphia Eagles and chose to re-sign with the Patriots instead. Starting with Moss's first offseason with the Patriots, who have they re-signed? They allowed Samuel, Gay, and Stallworth to leave that year. His second offseason they allowed Gaffney, Evans, Paxton and Izzo to go while trading Vrabel and Seymour. The only player, off the top of my head, that I can think of that was re-signed was James Sanders (not couting signing RFA's or extensions to the Mark Levoir's of the world). I am not saying many of these decisions were mistakes, just that Randy has not seen a lot of Patriots get 2nd contracts with the organization. Also keep in mind that Vince Wilfork is one of his best friends on the team and Vince has probably been underpaid for 2 years considering his rookie deal was for 6 years.

The bottom line is there was absolutely no benefit to Moss saying (several times) that the Pats don't pay their players. So why say it?

And BTW, I love Moss and a year from now I'll be the first one saying (re-)sign the beast. I just want him to shut his yapper.

I expect the Pats to do exactly what Moss said. They are not going to pay a 34 year old WR a lot of money, and why should they? Someone will likely overpay for him. Randy doesn't strike me as the guy who will take a discount to stay with the Pats. I think he wants to cash in while he still has the chance.

This is why I loved the Seymour deal. With that Raiders pick we will be in prime position to pickup our next "Randy Moss" for Brady with AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, and Michael Floyd all expected to be coming out in 2011. Personally, my two favorites are Green and Baldwin at the moment.

I'd like to see us add a WR this year via the draft this year, like Arrelious Been, to take over as the #2. Let Moss play out his final year as the #1, slide Edelman into Welker's slot role, and have Tate as the 4th WR. Hopefully get Welker back around mid-season. That would optimal for 2010 IMO. Then in 2011, you draft one of those Fab Four WRs, like AJ Green, in the first round. You let Moss walk and for instance you have Green, Benn, Welker, Edelman, Tate. That's a very deep, very solid, and pretty youthful WR corps for Brady to work with.

Last edited:
How the hell can anyone defend these comments?

First AD and now this.

This is just something you don't say, it's stupid. I didn't hear Jason Bay saying this with the Red Sox last year, despite being in the same situation.

Last edited:
I don't think Moss crossed any lines. He's close though.

It's OK to publicly say "The other party doesn't seem likely to offer enough to get a deal done." He went a little further than that.

I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee and there are 130 posts on a thread that started at 9pm on a Saturday night. LOL. I love this board....:rocker:

Gotta think that Randy's agent approached the Pats and wanted to talk extension and they said that they'd hold off (or maybe the Pats low-balled him on an extension?). So Randy is bent out of shape. Kinda wish he kept quiet b/c I do respect his play and what hes done to rehabilitate his image but whats done is done. No going back now....

Others have said it and I agree. I do think it's pretty disingenuous to say that your employer doesn't pay but were the ones why gave you a 3 yr $27m contract that HE agreed to. He claims he had Philly on the phone offering more money but chose to stay for LESS.

If all this is true and if BB has so much as a whiff of Randy not committing himself to the team this off-season, hes gone.

Last edited:
I guess people are taking issue with the "they don't pay" part because I'd say everyone agrees and has known for a long time that they won't extend his contract.

"They don't pay" is a popular perception of the organization. Whether we like it or not, its out there and has been for a long, long time - it goes back to Lawyer Milloy. It hasn't stopped them from being successful. They also never make it a priority to refute the perception so it can't be much of a concern in the front offices in Foxboro.

Like many public perceptions, it is neither 100% true or 100% false. The Pats are always near the top end of the league in the $ they pay out but they do shy away from paying from breaking the bank for any one guy. They pay through the mid and lower level roster but the big names get the press - Milloy, Law, Branch, Seymour, Wilfork, etc. If you are an elite player (like Moss) you can get more $ from other teams. In those cases, they don't pay like other teams pay. Kraft himself said at media day before the Eagles Super Bowl he couldn't envision paying Brady the same type of deal as Vick/Manning.

The Pats have no reason to change their philosophy. It works. If Tom Brady came out this week and said he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL (and I am not saying he will) that would be the only reason to maybe rethink the philosophy. I am not sure the Pats would make that deal.

Last edited:
We will always have that one special season, but with both Brady and Moss in contract years would be nice to see them go out to prove something each, and then make the choice on pats... Randy you want to stay , prove you are still that guy...

Moss said nothing about money that the media hasn't said, the fan base hasn't said, this message board hasn't said and ex-players haven't said. Hell, one of the defenses to the Seymour trade that people here were saying in defense of the move was that the team wasn't going to pay both Seymour and Wilfork the big coin.

The difference is that Moss is actually ON the team still. The media, fan base, and message board have no bearing in this argument. They aren't a part of the team and can feel free to speculate. Moss' comment carries much more weight than those already off the team (who were looked at as being "sour" more than anything). If Moss was already off the team, the **** would hit the fan in this forum. The only reason that people are standing up for him is because he is still going to wear a Pats uniform next season.

That was bizarre. How can he say "the Patriots don't pay" over and over again?

"You know the Patriots don't really pay, so when I got my second contract from them that was a blessing in disguise" may be the strangest quote by a Patriot I've ever read.

Do you suppose that "blessing in disguise" part was not what he really meant? It just doesn't make sense to me since it usually means a good thing that you don't recognize at first.

Of course they're not going to extend you Randy. Why would they???
You play big in small games (that's where you get your numbers) and you play small in big games.
You have to be coddled and babied and our QB has morphed into an INT machine trying to force the ball to you.
The beauty of your situation Randy is that with this upcoming season you're no doubt going to dog like you always do but you can't "$$afford$$" to dog it too much or you'll lose mucho doggy bones in your next NFL contract.
Dog is gonna have to hunt this upcomin' season!! ;)

Do you suppose that "blessing in disguise" part was not what he really meant? It just doesn't make sense to me since it usually means a good thing that you don't recognize at first.

Could be. That expression really doesn't seem to apply to this case as far as I can tell.

And BTW, I love Moss and a year from now I'll be the first one saying (re-)sign the beast. I just want him to shut his yapper.

A year from now, Moss will probably balk at our contact offer and say the same thing and the entire fanbase (this time) will jump on him for it. I mean, could you imagine if Moss was a former player and said this? It would almost be like Willie McGinest said that the Pats don't pay their players.

Last edited:
The difference is that Moss is actually ON the team still. The media, fan base, and message board have no bearing in this argument. They aren't a part of the team and can feel free to speculate. Moss' comment carries much more weight than those already off the team (who were looked at as being "sour" more than anything). If Moss was already off the team, the **** would hit the fan in this forum. The only reason that people are standing up for him is because he is still going to wear a Pats uniform next season.

Its a fact they don't pay "bonus money" which directly comes from the owners pocket. They play the game of spending to the cap every year very well, which is not true by the way. Every team is given 129 mil and that's how you build your team, but to get or retain the best players that's where the owner comes in. My biggest beef with the Pats is the sort of a mean spirit attitude that permeates with BB and that organization to the players when it comes to contracts. I think your going to see very soon this will not be a destination for players in the future unless your drafted by them. The attitude will change quickly around here and on this board once the Jets take the division and kick our ass twice next year. Does anyone think the Pats are going to spend more than 100 mil this year? They will pocket the 29 mil just like a lot of these owners are going to do. In the lockout year and there will be a lock out do the teams still get the 129 mil to build there teams and if they do why would you as a business man want a season that year if you could pocket the cash and walk away with 129 mil in your pocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes