Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW :

Jason McIntyre ‏@jasonrmcintyre12 mins
More intriguing QB: Ryan Mallett of Pats or anyone in 2014 draft? Lots of NFL rumblings that Mallett gets dealt on draft weekend.

So much speculation over a potential 4th round pick trading hands.

Would be nice if we could get another 2nd/3rd round pick for him. Although, I won't get my hopes up until it happens.

If I am a QB needy team, I would much rather send a 3rd round draft pick for a guy who was pretty highly regarded coming out and has 3 years experience in a complex pro offense than a guy leaving college with questionable traits. To put it another way, why reach for Bortles/Tom Savage/McCarron/Manziel/ in the first/second when you can get a guy for a 2nd or 3rd round pick with more experience.

I would trade Mallet for a Day 2 pick in a blink of an eye. I don't see him being anywhere close to what some people in the fanbase do. I think we are drafting a QB nevertheless, so that's one more point. I don't think, however, that an offer of that level will be at play

1) I think we get another QB and end up with at least three for this coming season. The purpose being to inculcate this new QB with our offense system and philosophy. Should he demonstrate competency and enough talent, Mallet becomes trade bait before his contract expires, or simply free to sign elsewhere as that will give us a compensatory pick. He will not be cut, as that gives us the least return upon investment.

2) No way in hell are we trading or cutting Mallet this year and going with an unknown QB as a backup. Should something happen to Brady, we are not going to put the franchise on the shoulders of an unknown or someone who hasn't had enough time to show that he grasps the philosophy of our concept offense.

FWIW :

Jason McIntyre ‏@jasonrmcintyre12 mins
More intriguing QB: Ryan Mallett of Pats or anyone in 2014 draft? Lots of NFL rumblings that Mallett gets dealt on draft weekend.
I do not think there is any franchise QBs in this draft class, and next year’s draft is led by Winston who has off field concerns, that comes on the heels of a terrible 2013 class of QBs. Given that I think there is a possibility that a team opts to use their first round pick on a player Clowney, Mack, Barr, Watkins, Donald, etc. who has a chance to be truly elite at his position and then target a QB later in the draft via trade.

Houston could purpose Mallett and #62 to in exchange #33 overall, that would give the Patriots essentially the points value of the 51st overall pick in the draft and the Texans would maintain a draft pick in all rounds.

1) I think we get another QB and end up with at least three for this coming season. The purpose being to inculcate this new QB with our offense system and philosophy. Should he demonstrate competency and enough talent, Mallet becomes trade bait before his contract expires, or simply free to sign elsewhere as that will give us a compensatory pick. He will not be cut, as that gives us the least return upon investment.

2) No way in hell are we trading or cutting Mallet this year and going with an unknown QB as a backup. Should something happen to Brady, we are not going to put the franchise on the shoulders of an unknown or someone who hasn't had enough time to show that he grasps the philosophy of our concept offense.

This is most likely the scenario. The only other I can see is Cleveland trading its second for Mallet--that makes good sense to me, since I would trust Mallet over any available QB at that pick. The Browns could then use their first round picks to shore up other areas of weakness.

If this were to happen, then the Pats wd have to sign one free agent QB, and draft another to compete with him for the backup role. But this does seem, I admit, a bit twisted. Almost certainly, we do keep Mallet, and train a draftee for either for a backup role, or if someone with a big upside, for replacing TB down the line. (McCarron will be 24 when the season starts, so I might leave him be)

Don't think Belichick is trading our backup QB for a #4. If that's the best offer, just say no.
I won't do it either. Regardless what you makes of his talent, he's been in the system for a few years. It's better keep him as backup than a third day pick.

Vikes need a young QB.

I'd propose to them Mallet for both of the Vikes 3rd rounder's (72 and 96) and Matt Casell.

I think Mallett's gone after this season either way, so it all comes down to what draft pick value you'd place on one year of backup QB. I'd be happy if they got a third rounder for him; anything better is gravy.

To put it another way, why reach for Bortles/Tom Savage/McCarron/Manziel/ in the first/second when you can get a guy for a 2nd or 3rd round pick with more experience.

Not meaning to sound sarcastic by any means, but I think the fact that all of them are significantly younger, and would come on a cheap rookie contract for the next 4-5 years would be pretty decent reasons.

With Mallett, yes-- you're getting someone with more "experience" (and I use that term loosely), but you're also getting someone who needs to re-sign a brand new deal at the end of the year that you're going to have to take a big chance on financially, and someone who's about 5 years older than some of these guys.

Those reasons may offset any value that someone may see in Mallett. Of course, there are also the potential pluses that you speak of as well, so it's all about if someone wants to take a chance on him or not.

Vikes need a young QB.

I'd propose to them Mallet for both of the Vikes 3rd rounder's (72 and 96) and Matt Casell.

Vikings also have Norv Turner as OC, his offense is probably the kind that would suit Mallett the most.

I think Mallett's gone after this season either way, so it all comes down to what draft pick value you'd place on one year of backup QB. I'd be happy if they got a third rounder for him; anything better is gravy.

The only concern or question I'd have would be why the hell Belichick didn't have someone in the developmental role or on the practice squad last year, that's all.

I can't imagine anyone coming in next month in the draft and realistically having enough of a handle on our system or playbook to be our serious QB2 in the few months before the season starts. Otherwise, of course--we should all be happy to receive a 3rd round pick for Mallett.

The longer Ryan Mallett is discussed the more convinced I become that us Patriots fan seriously overestimate whatever renumeration the Patriots may receive if he is part of any deal either before, during or after the draft.

Vikes need a young QB.

Do you think that Belichick would be okay with paying Matt Cassel that kind of money that he just signed for, just to be our backup? When Cassel signed the deal last month, he was under the impression that he would probably be the starter in MIN; or at the very least the odds on favorite to win the job in training camp.

That'd be an awful lot of money to pay for a backup QB in my opinion. I think he's making 3.5m per year with his brand new deal.

The longer Ryan Mallett is discussed the more convinced I become that us Patriots fan seriously overestimate whatever renumeration the Patriots may receive if he is part of any deal either before, during or after the draft.

IDK, I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio today and they were talking seriously about the possibility of the Browns giving up their second rounder for Mallett and even advocating that move. The Browns fan they were talking to said he would jump at a Mallett for their second, but feared the Pats would want another pick on top of it ( which the hosts dismissed). Not they have any influence on the Browns or any other team, but does indicate that expecting a second or third May not be as crazy as it sounds.

IDK, I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio today and they were talking seriously about the possibility of the Browns giving up their second rounder for Mallett and even advocating that move. The Browns fan they were talking to said he would jump at a Mallett for their second, but feared the Pats would want another pick on top of it ( which the hosts dismissed). Not they have any influence on the Browns or any other team, but does indicate that expecting a second or third May not be as crazy as it sounds.
Interesting point @Rob0729. Still, one must admit, that is pie-in-the-sky homer optimism to hope Mallett's draft stock has increased despite his lack of live NFL snaps. Perhaps his suitors liken his situation to that of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre? Whichever way one chooses to look at it, I would be ecstatic if the Patriots were able to at least gain a round 3 pick, similar to his initial draft position.

Interesting point @Rob0729. Still, one must admit, that is pie-in-the-sky homer optimism to hope Mallett's draft stock has increased despite his lack of live NFL snaps. Perhaps his suitors liken his situation to that of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre? Whichever way one chooses to look at it, I would be ecstatic if the Patriots were able to at least gain a round 3 pick, similar to his initial draft position.

Rumors are the Pats have rejected second round pick trades in the past. Maybe they are true.

This QB class is weak despite potentially three or four likely to be taken in the first round. If Mallett was a draft prospect this year, he would likely be a first or second rounder. Maybe his stock really hasn't increased, but the QB options for QB starved teams are just that much worse.

When I go to a game and I see Mallet warming up with Brady ... Brady is small compared to Mallet.
Mallet is one huge guy and he's stronger than when drafted. Does that mean he'll be a good NFL QB ... no ... but he has the tools and with a decent O-Line that size of his is an advantage for sure. There's some dog QB's out there ... I think Mallet has the tools to at least be an average starter in the league. He shows as nervous a bit in pre season action ... that will change with reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST