PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Ending Mailbag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike's great strength has been his reporting: the detail (nothing at all Patriots-significant gets left out); the accuracy (no spinning of rumours and only very cautious speculation about what lies behind a move or event); and the speed (if he's not the first with a piece of news, he gets it out very quickly).

I think that ESPN is brutal, but so long as Mike continues to put out facts that no one else bothers to (like his breakdown of players' snaps) I'll continue to look at his blog.

Also, I thank you for spelling this out, rather than merely hitting "Dislike" or "Disagree". After all, the latter would be rude.

You disagreed with a 'tone' that existed only in your mind, so your post shouldn't have been made, which is why I responded as I did. Would you have preferred my response be an allusion to mental issues on your part?

Reiss took the money. I don't blame him for that. However, he's been pretty much useless ever since. It's not a matter of Volin-like stupidity. It's a matter of decline in quality without any offsetting improvement in information or speed. He's now way down on my list of Patriots reporters worth reading.

I disagreed, Captain Combative, I didn't 'dislike'. Nobody owes you an explanation for disagreeing with you. Your point(s) were mostly the direct opposite of how I feel about Reiss and his column. I'm not going to get into a point-by-point with you, since we all know you'll outlast me and change the basis of the argument if you're cornered.

I enjoyed Reiss's column, will miss it a lot.

You disagreed with a 'tone' that existed only in your mind, so your post shouldn't have been made, which is why I responded as I did. Would you have preferred my response be an allusion to mental issues on your part?

You must be a blast at parties. :D

Can't figure you out sometimes.

I could see Bill Simmons bringing him into his post-Grantland ventures.

Need to start seeing 'Free Mike Reiss!' signs at the games.

Maybe he and Jason Whitlock can start their own site.

The pros and cons of this discussion aside, big agreement on this point. I think you can hit agree/like pretty liberally, because you're affirming the poster's point, and of course it's a pleasant thing. But if you hit dislike/disagree (which in general I don't think should be used much at all) then follow up with that. Seems so pointlessly petty otherwise.
I hate the disagree button.

The purpose of this board is to have discussion and throw out thoughts and comments for feedback.

If you agree, agree. If you like, you like. If you wish to comment , comment. If you dislike, dislike. Thats all good, IMO.

If you disagree, state why and with what and offer a counter-point. It's also very appropriate to ask clarifying questions.

You disagreed with a 'tone' that existed only in your mind

Evidently you use the word "tone" in an unusual way. The way normal educated people use it, what I quoted above would be remarkably stupid, almost to the point of being tautologically wrong.

I could perhaps have said "tenor" instead of "tone", but I don't think that excuses your responses.

You must be a blast at parties. :D

Can't figure you out sometimes.

When people pile on, I tend to expect more from them than what Fencer posted. He was just being an ass. "Tone"? That's too weak to even qualify as weak sauce.

What's funny here is that I'm nowhere near the first poster here to make the basic points I made. I linked (above) to another thread that's currently active on the board, that's on this same basic topic. I didn't even post in that thread, it's from just a few days ago (Oct 10), and it's 3 pages long. From that O.P.:

My once go to source for easy (keyword EASY) access to Pats info has been just ruined by the network. Amazing they could take the first redo from months ago and screw it up more than it had been....
...Previously, it was exactly the kind of thing I'd always go right to ESPNBoston to quickly find out. Now, I reluctantly look elsewhere. What a shame, because no one has stepped up to fill in the messy vacuum ESPN has created.

From one of this site's mods:

Friggin horrible ....

I used to use the story headings and read if I felt interested on any of my local teams ... all 5 of them.
Now I open it and I'm like WTF is this ........ horrible. Undoubtedly designed by some web nerd who does not even follow sports but is designed to increase revenue for ESPN.

Relying more on: Home for a quick story link when I have a few minutes.

And a few more random quotes:

I love Reiss, but OP is right. It's getting downright unbearable to go there.

I was thinking of starting a thread of the same thing. I, too, used to go there first for my Patriots news. Now, I rarely go there. Just awful.

And from Shmessy himself

Yeah, I don't go there anymore. Haven't in several months. Unreadable.

I look forward to wherever Mike Reiss lands next. He is excellent.

Has To Be Said Again: ESPN Boston Is Ruined And Getting Worse | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

And some people wonder why I point out when Shmessy is trolling....

Evidently you use the word "tone" in an unusual way. The way normal educated people use it, what I quoted above would be remarkably stupid, almost to the point of being tautologically wrong.

I could perhaps have said "tenor" instead of "tone", but I don't think that excuses your responses.

My responses were fine. You just chose to be an ass, and I called you on it.

"Things look a lot different today than they did in 2005, and that’s primarily why you won’t be seeing the mailbag each Tuesday anymore."

Well that makes zero sense...

I was going to post that and it makes a lot of sense. I wish there were more outlets for writers that actually like the home team and football and want to offer a variety of infotainment like Mike has.

Reiss's pieces looks a lot different than the mishmash he has to write for now.

My responses were fine. You just chose to be an ass, and I called you on it.

I meant nothing the slightest bit hostile by my use of the word "tone". That was entirely in your bile-drenched imagination.

Once you made stupid and hostile posts toward me, my attitude changed. But your initial post -- ironically in light of your subsequent drivel -- was a cryptic and nasty response to an attack that simply wasn't there.

I disagreed, Captain Combative, I didn't 'dislike'. Nobody owes you an explanation for disagreeing with you. Your point(s) were mostly the direct opposite of how I feel about Reiss and his column. I'm not going to get into a point-by-point with you, since we all know you'll outlast me and change the basis of the argument if you're cornered.

I enjoyed Reiss's column, will miss it a lot.

It's not about disagreeing with me. It's about how people use the system. And I've been on that from the beginning.

Just clicking "disagree" is useless when there are multiple, conflicting points to someone's post. Have the courtesy to flesh out the response. You were able to post this response, so it wasn't infirmity preventing you from responding earlier.

I meant nothing the slightest bit hostile by my use of the word "tone". That was entirely in your bile-drenched imagination.

Once you made stupid and hostile posts toward me, my attitude changed. But your initial post -- ironically in light of your subsequent drivel -- was a cryptic and nasty response to an attack that simply wasn't there.

Quit acting as if you're some offended party. You aren't. You invented a mythical 'tone' in your head, and you don't like getting called on it.

Quit acting as if you're some offended party. You aren't. You invented a mythical 'tone' in your head, and you don't like getting called on it.

You're making up lies about me. More precisely, you're making up falsehoods that you probably are crazy enough to sincerely believe.

So yes, I'm the one and only offended party here.

You're making up lies about me. More precisely, you're making up falsehoods that you probably are crazy enough to sincerely believe.

So yes, I'm the one and only offended party here.

I haven't lied about anything, so you can come down off the cross.

When people pile on, I tend to expect more from them than what Fencer posted. He was just being an ass. "Tone"? That's too weak to even qualify as weak sauce.

What's funny here is that I'm nowhere near the first poster here to make the basic points I made. I linked (above) to another thread that's currently active on the board, that's on this same basic topic. I didn't even post in that thread, it's from just a few days ago (Oct 10), and it's 3 pages long. From that O.P.:

From one of this site's mods:

And a few more random quotes:

And from Shmessy himself

Has To Be Said Again: ESPN Boston Is Ruined And Getting Worse | New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

And some people wonder why I point out when Shmessy is trolling....

Okay maybe misunderstood your "useless" comment. I thought that was directed at Mike Reiss specifically but I gather that it was intended to mean he is "useless" while under the confines of ESPN.

Is that it?

pissing_contest-95691.gif

Yikes. I just drafted a tautological post. It read:

I actually feel sorry for Deus. It can't be pleasant to have one's mind filled with unpleasant delusions.

You guys might have had a fine time teasing me about the bolded parts ...

Edit:

If you're going to disagree with a post, have the courtesy of posting that disagreement instead of just clicking the damned icon, especially when there are points in a post which can lead to conflicting reasons for such disagreement. I have no idea what people are disagreeing about here.

Are you blaming him for taking the money?
Are you saying that Reiss is now demonstrating Volin-like stupidity?
Are you saying that the quality of Reiss' site hasn't gone down?
Are you saying that Reiss is now breaking lots of news?
Are you saying that Reiss is getting info out faster?
Are you saying that Reiss is not way down on my list of reporters worth reading?

Edit: Now, other than trolling, how the hell can anyone disagree with this post?

His site on ESPN was actually better than the globe one for a while, with snap counts, Bruschi chats and tons of stuff, but i guess nobody should ever take a chance to make more money, huh?

You're a lawyer, right? I guess you only represent indigent old ladies.:rolleyes:

Reiss never broke news, because he wouldn't report anything he wasn't sure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes