PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Ending Mailbag

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpetbagger1

Rookie
Reaction score
Yes, we are all sick of BSPN, but Mike is the one reliable guy they have and the sole reason I still check their site. He posted his mailbag today with what reads like a heartbroken breakup letter at the top, declaring this his final mailbag. I suspect it's a result of bspn leadership doing their best to ruin their and his product (incidentally the website's new format is HORRIBLE!) Anyone have intel as to why this is happening?

It's time for Mike to get out of there and replace Volin at the Globe.

Mike, maybe you want to post something yourself incognito as to what's going on behind the scenes?

Marcus Cannon injury leaves New England Patriots thin at tackle - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN

Sorry to see it go. One of the few media reps and forums I looked forward to. The podification of Reiss continues.

Is he actually leaving, or just ending his mail bag? I really enjoyed reading his mail bag...

Is he actually leaving, or just ending his mail bag? I really enjoyed reading his mail bag...

He's just ending the mailbag. There's nothing he's written to suggest he's leaving.

That being said, there's a lot of wishful thinking that he will leave. He has too solid a reputation to be associated with them, and they are watering down his product with lots of other garbage.

He's just ending the mailbag. There's nothing he's written to suggest he's leaving.

That being said, there's a lot of wishful thinking that he will leave. He has too solid a reputation to be associated with them, and they are watering down his product with lots of other garbage.
It didn't read that HE was ending the mailbag, but rather that it was being ended. He didn't sound real happy about it either. But they've made such a ****ing mess of that whole thing, not just the Pats blog, it's really starting to look as though a bunch of monkeys are throwing feces against a wall to decide what to do next.

I really, really hope this was his choice and that they didn't cut him off!

By weird coincidence, I have also been writing a regular weekly column in my field since 2005. I can tell you that it burrows deep into the rhythm of your life and your mind. I've been sorely tempted to give it up at times, but I'd feel untethered without it.

"Things look a lot different today than they did in 2005, and that’s primarily why you won’t be seeing the mailbag each Tuesday anymore."

Well that makes zero sense...

Yes, we are all sick of BSPN, but Mike is the one reliable guy they have and the sole reason I still check their site. He posted his mailbag today with what reads like a heartbroken breakup letter at the top, declaring this his final mailbag. I suspect it's a result of bspn leadership doing their best to ruin their and his product (incidentally the website's new format is HORRIBLE!) Anyone have intel as to why this is happening?

It's time for Mike to get out of there and replace Volin at the Globe.

Mike, maybe you want to post something yourself incognito as to what's going on behind the scenes?

Marcus Cannon injury leaves New England Patriots thin at tackle - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN
The Globe? He's already been there/done that.

I feel very bad for Reiss. He took a job he thought was an upgrade only to discover - after a few years - that others would take control of his space. If he felt he could truly be frank and keep paying the bills, he'd tell us he hates the direction his spot is going. Pretty much said so on his personal blog.

I like Mike. If he'd move to a site that is not so infuriatingly difficult to read, he'd be worth a look.

Reiss took the money. I don't blame him for that. However, he's been pretty much useless ever since. It's not a matter of Volin-like stupidity. It's a matter of decline in quality without any offsetting improvement in information or speed. He's now way down on my list of Patriots reporters worth reading.

Reiss took the money. I don't blame him for that. However, he's been pretty much useless ever since. It's not a matter of Volin-like stupidity. It's a matter of decline in quality without any offsetting improvement in information. He's now way down on my list of Patriots reporters worth reading.

Sad.....but true.

Like the last year of Seinfeld.

Reiss took the money. I don't blame him for that. However, he's been pretty much useless ever since. It's not a matter of Volin-like stupidity. It's a matter of decline in quality without any offsetting improvement in information or speed. He's now way down on my list of Patriots reporters worth reading.

Sadly, I must agree with this. Most of his stuff now lacks insight. He's been assimilated into the ESPN borg.

The Globe? He's already been there/done that.

Until he sorts things out, I really think the best spot is for him to take over for Statler and Waldorf at Patriots ProFootball Weekly and help Stacy James with PR.

Either that of NFLN or Fox Sports.

Last edited:
I also haven't seen his picked-up pieces posts after games.

So just what IS he doing? Especially stuff that he wasn't doing before, if any?

Sadly, I must agree with this. Most of his stuff now lacks insight. He's been assimilated into the ESPN borg.

I don't agree with the tone of the criticism. He was always a reporter first and an analyst second. And he's still willing to mix it up on the softer end of analysis -- attacking Felger et al. (even if not by name), passionately defending Boyer, questioning Goodell right up to the limits of what we presume he's allowed, etc. He's also still good at drawing inferences about how the coaching staff feels about various players.

None of this is deeply insightful analysis, but that was never his thing. He was always a reporter, and basically he's a good enough analyst to put context around his gathering and reporting of the news, which is what a reporter needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents