PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically, the very attributes this board is praising Reiss for are the very ones that will limit his career growth.

It's too bad Reiss (or anyone for that matter) couldn't dig even deeper and find out the actual timeframe involved in the implementation of the videotaping policy being referenced in spygate.

I don't think he is interested. Which is why I won't jump on this bandwagon. I'm not impressed with any of his spygate stuff. Today is a good example in his mailbag:

It has always been against the rules to videotape coaching signals, according to the NFL (based on the Constitution & Bylaws).​
Now, its the Constitution and By-Laws! Mike, which is it? Next week, it'll be the Manual of Operations. How can it have always been against the rules? Can you explain that? You are a reporter - we're readers. Inform us. Where was always against the rule? Did the NFL person tell you that and you said "Ok, thanks" and hang up?

It is staggering that the biggest issue to face the NFL, in my lifetime, gets such casual investigation and research. One might think a local reporter would go where other reporters wouldn't. But no.

I love the blind acceptance of the idea that the Anderson memo clarified things. That memo doesn't make sense.

Then there is this oddity:

"So I think any offense prior to 2006 might be looked at in a different light from a league perspective"

You think? Might be looked at in different light? Why don't you find out? It didn't appear so from the Goodell/Walsh press conference.

Bob Ryan had it wrong. This episode isn't Nixonian, but rather Orwellian.

For those of us old enough to remember the Pats at Fenway and the Impossible Dream - remember the good old days when the Sunday Globe was by far the best sports page in the world, with Will McDonough, Peter Gammons, Leigh Montville, Lesley Visser, Bud Collins, and a pre-espn Bob Ryan stuck to hoops?

For those of us old enough to remember the Pats at Fenway and the Impossible Dream - remember the good old days when the Sunday Globe was by far the best sports page in the world, with Will McDonough, Peter Gammons, Leigh Montville, Lesley Visser, Bud Collins, and a pre-espn Bob Ryan stuck to hoops?

I remember those days and one of my favorites was Ernie Roberts Saturday Morning column when he would tell Us what He had for breakfast.A real favorite was one Saturday Leigh Montville fillled in for Ernie when he was on vacation and Leigh's breakfast on the way to the golf course was twenkie and a coke.I never forgot that column.

Reiss does a good job. He's thorough in his research and responsible in his reporting.

I don't consider him an apologist or a homer. To the contrary, I think he's conscientious and measured. He tries to be fair to both his readers and to his sources.

Some writers get the balance wrong, one way or the other. If you favor sources over readers, you're not really reporting so much as you're functioning as a mouthpiece or an unofficial publicist. If you burn your sources to produce controversial copy for your readers, you'll soon find that you don't have any sources willing to speak with you, on or off the record. You might get some sensational stories at first, but they're not sustainable.

Reiss is a pragmatist. I think Tomase was, and perhaps still is, an opportunist. Time will tell.

Reiss is the best reporter of the Patriots.

However, Tony Effeminate Squeakerotti told me that Reiss wears a Patriots jacket in to work every day, so now I guess I have to consider Mike to be a stooge for the Patriots... a sellout... unworthy of the high mantle of antagonistic journalism to which all reporters must aspire.

After all, it's not about providing the fans with good information about their favorite team... no no! It's all about making a name for yourself by taking down the best coach in the history of the NFL and tainting the reputation of one of the best dynasties in football. THAT's what reporting is all about my friends.

Tidbits about Chad Jackson looking good in passing camp? ... Surely you jest!

Last edited:
Reiss is the best reporter of the Patriots.

However, Tony Effeminate Squeakerotti told me that Reiss wears a Patriots jacket in to work every day, so now I guess I have to consider Mike to be a stooge for the Patriots... a sellout... unworthy of the high mantle of antagonistic journalism to which all reporters must aspire.

After all, it's not about providing the fans with good information about their favorite team... no no! It's all about making a name for yourself by taking down the best coach in the history of the NFL and tainting the reputation of one of the best dynasties in football. THAT's what reporting is all about my friends.

Tidbits about Chad Jackson looking good in passing camp? ... Surely you jest!

What Tony Mazz doesn't understand is that sports reporters SHOULD be wearing their respective team jackets. Fans don't want a national perspective on their teams from the local newspaper.

Is that so difficult to understand...Tony?

You're SUPPOSED to be a "rah-rah" for your home team!:cool:

I don't think he is interested. Which is why I won't jump on this bandwagon. I'm not impressed with any of his spygate stuff. Today is a good example in his mailbag:

Reiss, like a lot of us, is basically sick and tired of the whole thing, and just wants to get back to covering football. Frankly, while I would love to see him be a bulldog for the Pats, I'm sure as heck not going to condemn him for choosing not to do so.

Does Reiss read and/or post here? I imagine he probably reads now and then.

They should start sending some of his written reports, bits of clothing, some hair, and his chewed gum to Canton. His bust there will have full access to the Bellichick's and Brady's area.

Back in the days, I liked reading Borges, he worked for stories and outlined facts to support it. IMO, his best highlights; when he reported on the drug problem under Raymond Berry and later on he made the case for Tipplet going to the hall b/c he had comparable and sometime better stats than LT, and was more impressive given Tip played strong side while LT played weakside. When he became a columnist his contrarian approach just embellished him.

My point, I hope Reiss stays a beat writer and does not succumb to the dark side as a columnist.

Last edited:
They should start sending some of his written reports, bits of clothing, some hair, and his chewed gum to Canton. His bust there will have full access to the Bellichick's and Brady's area.

Tony? John? Your jealousy couldn't be more evident.

Mike gets all the access and we get ignored. How can they ignore us... don't they know who we are?! We are the REAL reporters. We have journalistic integrity and independence (ie. we stab our team's players/coaches/owners in the back and take the contrarian position at every turn).

For the record, they can't put John's bust in there because of limited space and Tony's, if it ever made it in, would come complete with a little pull cord that laments what a bunch of yahoos, here worshippers, and gutless suck-ups we Patriot fans are. It would do so in the squeakiest voice possible of course.

Back in the days, I liked reading Borges, he worked for stories and outlined facts to support it. IMO, his best highlights; when he reported on the drug problem under Raymond Berry and later on he made the case for Tipplet going to the hall b/c he had comparable and sometime better stats than LT, and was more impressive given Tip played strong side while LT played weakside. When he became a columnist his contrarian approach just embellished him.

My point, I hope Reiss stays a beat writer and does not succumb to the dark side as a columnist.
IN his LATER days..he wrote a very interesting story about Fred McCrary (as he was a guard), the 25th anniverasary of the Stingley hit, and a few others..BUT other than those few more in depth non-column pieces..his day to day things were horrible..

I might join in if he wasn't sitting on the sidelines seemingly afraid to take his fellow media to task the way they deserve to be.

Reiss, like a lot of us, is basically sick and tired of the whole thing, and just wants to get back to covering football. Frankly, while I would love to see him be a bulldog for the Pats, I'm sure as heck not going to condemn him for choosing not to do so.

CT, I wasn't asking him to be a bulldog, just a reporter. A local reporter might have more interest in following a major story on a local team. Not here.

Such an article/research should have been done last year or around/following the Walsh NY visit. I have found more research on the issue done by people here than Reiss.

Tony? John? Your jealousy couldn't be more evident.

Mike gets all the access and we get ignored. How can they ignore us... don't they know who we are?! We are the REAL reporters. We have journalistic integrity and independence (ie. we stab our team's players/coaches/owners in the back and take the contrarian position at every turn).

For the record, they can't put John's bust in there because of limited space and Tony's, if it ever made it in, would come complete with a little pull cord that laments what a bunch of yahoos, here worshippers, and gutless suck-ups we Patriot fans are. It would do so in the squeakiest voice possible of course.

You misunderstand. There was not a drop of sarcasm in my post. I actually meant what I said :D

In light of recent stories, I just wanted to again say thanks to Mike Reiss for reporting information that we all care about, and not being a wannabe tabloid writer.

You rule, Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes