PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Pereira, 8 year Ref Supervisor, says Goodell is Preparing to fix Playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because there's fixing and there's fixing.

I do not believe there is fixing in the "do whatever it takes to make sure NE loses" sense. For one thing, that'd likely be too obvious and the consequences to the NFL if it were ever discovered would be disastrous.

I do believe there is fixing in the "make NE play into a permanent headwind" sense. The idea is to hurt NE's chances without anything being on record that could bring the house of cards down. So it all has to be done by innuendo, winks, and nudges and so is far less efficient than a "true" fix. So NE still has a chance to win -- it'll just be harder than it'd be if everything was on the up-and-up. And that's why it is still worth watching -- (1) there's still uncertainty in the outcome, and (2) wanting to see if NE can overcome the NFL's thumb on the scales as well as the opponent on the field.

The funny thing is that I can see something like that being possible but, to me, it's still not worth it at that point to follow the sport. A fix is a fix in the end and I wouldn't want to watch any league where, every single game, a thought is in the back of my mind that the league wants to see my team lose in the end. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. I think the refs have been universally bad this year. Just last night, Calais Campbell was standing straight up signaling for timeout right in front of a zebra who, in spite of looking near his direction and only having one job (line judge), missed it. That same play, Bradford fired a touchdown pass. Are we to believe they're trying to screw the Cardinals as well? Odell Beckham should have been ejected yesterday for a blatant helmet to helmet hit on Josh Norman right in front of an official. Instead, they called offsetting penalties and kept Beckham in the game. Was the league trying to screw the Panthers because, you know, parity? I can keep going if you wish. Those are just examples of refs being equally as poor to other teams just YESTERDAY.

The posts that I'm specifically referring to were like the posts yesterday in the game thread where some crybaby was whining about the blown call after the White catch and run saying something to the effect of "crooked ****ing refs" almost as if it was designed to blow a big play dead. These people aren't talking about the same kind of "fixing" you are. They're saying the game is outright fixed. That's why I ask. If you really think the sport is fixed - stop watching. Otherwise, you're just pumping in ratings to the NFL when the outcome, according to you, is already determined.

I don't think you're attempting to address the issue.

Do you think there was an actual reason we were docked draft picks, our Super Bowl week preparations interrupted and our quarterback forced to prepare for court right up until the season started and that they are still pressing a four game suspension, even though a judge ruled against the league?

You can address this, or just keep posting irrelevant questions, I don't care.

You might try reading what I actually said, for starters.

I don't think you're attempting to address anything I actually write.... Or at least you're trying very hard not to. You're the one that responded to me and then proceeded to write a bunch of irrelevant info that didn't address the post you quoted whatsoever.. And now you're getting mad at me for not taking this in a direction I never intended to take it. I asked why watch a sport you think is fixed. Then you start asking me what evidence I require to think it is fixed. Then after I try to get a better understanding of your position and what you think, you get mad and ignore everything I write and then demand/ask I talk about what you want me to talk about.

You said you believe gamblers fix games. If this is true, surely you're talking about all games around the league and not just the pats. Also surely, gamblers have fixed games IN FAVOR of the pats before too right? Or are you one of those people that thinks everyone is out to get the pats and only the pats? And every single game the pats play the refs and the league are trying to make them lose? To answer your question tho, I do think there was an actual reason we were docked draft picks. Not a good one and not justified but a reason yes.... And no, I do not think SB49 was fixed.

What's the point, though, when you know the league office is just going to fix the playoffs?

The fix is not absolute. I'll watch with the hope that BB/TB's greatness will overcome the fix attempts (as it did during Div Round vs Ravens '14 & Deflategate).

Last edited:
You said you believe gamblers fix games.

I'm talking about all games, sports, fights etc. that you can place a bet on. What I wrote was apparently too complex for you and I'm not interested in you putting words in my mouth because life is too complicated for you to understand.

Bye.

Last edited:
The fix is not absolute. I'll watch with the hope that BB/TB's greatness will overcome the fix attempts (as it did during Div Round vs Ravens '14 & Deflategate).

Obviously, no fix is absolute, because people are human and the guy that's suppose to miss the big free throws could still win [he has team mates]. So he starts throwing airballs and passes into the stands. guarantees a loss, but also an investigation. I think the NFL refs are universally bad because they have no leadership or training.

I do not think refs in the NFL, this year, are part of a conspiracy to fix games now and I never said they were.

The commissioner and his incompetent cronies and dirty teams like Indy, are conspiring to make it difficult for the Patriots to repeat, after they tried their best to wreck their Super bowl preparations, hoping they would lose.

We all appreciate greatness. What's so great about appreciating them while watching them fight uphill in a fixed contest that the league has set out to make them lose? Or, in other words, what's the point of following them and the sport when you already know what the outcome is going to be? I have to think two conclusions are evident here with the people that are saying the NFL is going to fix games and yet they will still watch...

1. They don't actually believe that.

2. They have zero testicular fortitude.
I agree with this. If I honestly thought the outcome of games were fixed, then I wouldn't watch 'em. I wouldn't whine and moan and complain and make hundreds of posts to an NFL forum, I would just simply not watch 'em and not follow the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST