PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike And Mike And Kiper Say " Bush Is Setting The NFL On Fire"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtbykr said:
Come on, we all knew this was coming. The national bobbleheads have been waiting for weeks to do something---now bush gets a punt return for a td (that wins a game) and they are finally let loose.
This is 100% correct and that's what the modern media does. There is so much sportstalk that everyone is trying to be the first, the best, the loudest. I actually heard two conversations this week - two conversations! - about the possibility of the Bears having an undefeated season and whether they should start of rest their starters in week 16. They're 5 games into the friggin' season!!!!

Bush is WAY over hyped by the NFL. They want him to be the new Mike Vike in terms of excitement but I just don't see it. They talk about him being a great decoy. What the H*LL is that. The guy aleady is doing Subway Sandwich national commercials. All because of 1 TD. What happens when gets a second 2nd?

Alk said:
So are you telling me that they added ALL of Bush's yards just to compare with the rest of the rookie RB's rushing yards? Wow, that is just sad.

Bush
KR X
PR 12/132 1 TD
Rushing yds. 54/170 3.1 ypc
Receiving yds 34/250 7.4 ypc
Total yds 552

Maroney
KR 10/235 yds
PR x
Rush yds 78/332 4.3 ypc 3TD
Receiving yds 6/76 12.7 ypc
Total yards 643

You make the decision.....

Last edited:
I don't get why Pats fans are threatened by Reggie Bush.

There isn't reallly a good comparison for him. Rather than accept that and move on media idiots force him into comparisons that inevitably favor him because they're pushing the "Reggie Bush is great" angle. If they wanted the story to be that he was a bust they'd compare his rushing numbers and ignore the pass-catching.

I stopped listening to Mike & Mike awhile ago. To me they're Ordway in the opposite direction: A guest could go on there saying that Oakland is the best team in the National Football League (I hate it that they can't just say NFL or football) and they will never question or contradict him. The show reeks of ESPN policy (Mike & Mike is a non-controversy show as opposed to other ESPN shows where you have to say at least 1 outrageous thing every 5 minutes or be fired). That and I hate people like Greenburg who are proud of and draw attention to their teasers. It's like they're saying to you "not only am I going to screw with you by teasing you, I'm going to rub your face in it."

People keep talking about how Bush is such a unique talent but he isn't. He is like Marshall Faulk but not as good. Faulk was a Pro Bowl hand-off back AND a Pro Bowl receiver. He is one of only two players to ever have over 1,000 yards in both rushing and receiving in the same season.

So far Bush has shown he's a goof receiver but not a good carrier. Until he does then calling him "a unique talent" is just not justifiable.

Last edited:
TomBrady'sGoat said:
I don't get why Pats fans are threatened by Reggie Bush.
I'm not threatened by Bush. I thought he was overrated coming out of college and I still feel the same way. That's pretty much it.

Patsfanin Philly said:
Bush
KR X
PR 12/132 1 TD
Rushing yds. 54/170 3.1 ypc
Receiving yds 34/250 7.4 ypc
Total yds 552

Maroney
KR 10/235 yds
PR x
Rush yds 78/332 4.3 ypc 3TD
Receiving yds 6/76 12.7 ypc
Total yards 643

You make the decision.....

Remove the return yards, because those will unfairly benefit the guy who returns kickoffs. Doing so nets you 420 for Bush and 408 for Maroney, which is a wash. So it all comes down to whether you want your running back to excel at running the ball or catching it, which isn't a difficult choice.

I'll take Maroney.

I think the best comparison to Bush is Brian Westbrook.

zippo59 said:
I think the best comparison to Bush is Brian Westbrook.
Actually, Westbrook puts up yards on the ground as well. I was thinking Dave Megget, nothing more than a third down back.

I think Reggie Bush seems like a nice guy and a good player. I like the excitement he has brought to New Orleans. I have nothing against him, but when I scoff at the notion that he is setting the league on fire, it's more an indictment of the stupid media than Reggie. He's not the one babbling about his performance, they are. And as someone correctly pointed out, the talk on him was turning decidedly negative as recently as the weekend before last. So basically ONE punt returned for a TD has "set the NFL on fire". That's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I didn't even put Maroney's name in this conversation......I'm not trying to compare them. I am talking NFL in general.......And when Reggie Bush was coming out he was put on a pedestal as a "Once In A Lifetime Player" ...."You Can't Not Draft Him Because He is So Special".. He was touted as the next Gale Sayers......I mean people go back and read and listen to what they were saying about this guy..........Now I am not saying that he won't eventually be a great RB, but right now he isn't........My post alludes to the fact that Mike and Mike and Mel Kiper said that he was setting the NFL on fire and that he is every bit the player people thought he would be coming out of college. Randy Moss set the NFL on Fire his rookie year.......That is what a rare talent and impact look like. Yes he is versatile, but the stupid......Defenses are keying on him so much that that is the only reason Deuce and the WR's are producing is funny and an incredibly shortsighted arguement. Yes he is getting receptions, but they are check off's mostly, and he only has a 7.1 YPC avg. They are using him for different looks and such, but I don't think he is keeping defenses up at night wondering..."How are We Going to Stop Reggie Bush"........If NO came to Gillette, I doubt our Gameplan is to shut down Bush at all cost........I'm not looking at it at all in how much attention he is getting over our rookies or anything like that. Plain and simple you would have had to have been in a bubble not to hear all the Bush Hype before the draft, preseason etc......And being a fan of the NFL I was interested to see if the guy was going to be able to live up to the hype, and he simply hasn't even come close in my opinion.....

Last edited:
Bush is setting the NFL on fire? That would make him the burning bush . . . that's hype of biblical proportion. :eek: :eek:

stcjones said:
You know...it is interesting. 2 weeks ago, Bush was "not living up to expectations"...."Hitting the hole too quickly"........and overall so far, a disappointment. Then, he gets the 65 yrd punt return and all of a sudden..."He is everything we thought he would be in the NFL"....."This is why the guy won the Heisman award"......"This guy is setting the NFL on fire"........etc etc etc....I don't get it.....The media just cracks me up....

He is a tremendous talent....He IS going to be a great NFL player....he has made some great contributions already.....But to say he has lit the NFL on fire is a bit much...one mans opinion

I agree.

I really don't get these fellow fans accusing us of 'knocking' Bush or being negative towards him. He is what he is. He is talented, like maroney. He is perhaps better at catching the ball then Maroney, and Maroney just might be better RUNNING the ball.

Don't really know yet, but it seems that we can be objective about the situation, no? I don't think Bush has lit the NFL on fire, he appears to be a talented first round pick, like most first round running backs. I don't see him as being better than anyone else in six or seven years from now, he seems like another talented running back, nothing more. We have a different group of running backs in the Pro Bowl every season, because the league is full of young studs that tear it up for a few years.

There have been dozens of great running backs these last few years, from Holmes, M. Faulk., L.T., Dillon, Martin, Alexander, Portis, McGahee, Barber, Robert Smith, Rudi Johnson, Davis, ect.

I just don't see Bush as better, or even different, than some of those guys. I'm not ready to put him in the hall of fame.

With what you know today about Bush, would you take him over a fresh, young M. Faulk? How about a young L.T.? How about a young Dillon? How about a young Martin? Holmes? Portis? Maroney?

Unless you can say yes to all the above without hesitation, Bush is just another talented guy in a league full of talent.

Does that mean I will be accused of being anti-bush by fellow Pats fans? Hopefully not.

Last edited:
Patriotic said:
Bush is setting the NFL on fire? That would make him the burning bush . . . that's an STD of biblical proportion. :eek: :eek:

Edited Text. :D

SCPatBoy said:
I mean I have got to think that as of right now Bush and Vick are the 2 most overrated players in the NFL (Maybe Big Ben also). IS Bush contributing sure.........Setting the NFL on Fire though is defenitely a stretch............

I agree with you that the problem for the media is that they hyped Bush so much as the next Gale Sayers AND Barry Sanders that they have to talk up the hype. He should prove to be a pretty good running back, though. Oh, and I agree with you about Vick. I don't rate him as a passer, which is supposed to be his main job, isn't it?

You all make some interesting points. Some of the points have made me shake my head in suprise though. To compare him to Dave Meggett, is an absolute joke. Meggett was a fine player, who did a lot for the Giants and Pats, but he never had the breakaway speed that Bush has, if he did he'd hold every return record ever. He also, though a fine third down back out of the backfield, never was as good as the Faulk's (yes, both Kevin & Marshall were better receivers), and nowhere near the receiver Bush is.

In my opinion, Bush is being hyped correctly, he is the ultimate weapon. He can be used in so many ways. He is very similar to Marshall Faulk, yet he has that extra gear, something that can't be taught. Like Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson & Tony Dorsett, he can just flat out fly, and once he breaks out into the open, he's gone. Add to that, fantastic moves (made at full speed) and great balance. Though like Marshall Faulk, he is a very good return man, which Faulk never did. That's why he is the ultimate weapon.

Others mentioned his 3.1 yards per carry, yes, I agree that is pretty low right now, but he hasn't broken any big runs yet, believe me, he will. As we have seen with Maroney, the ypc can fluctuate quite a bit. Maroney's went from 4.6 to 3.6 after the Denver game, then back to 4.9 after the Bengal game, and is now at 4.3. Also, though I really don't know much about the Saints, I do believe they don't have the greatest O-Line out there, in fact I think they are below average to average. Add to that, Bush is not getting as much carries as Deuce McAllister, Deuce is healthy, and running very well.

I really don't understand Patsfans dislike or disdain for Bush, he was the #2 overall pick, and is being hyped as such, and IMHO, rightly so. I just think some of that hype should be shared, Jerrious Norwood looks like a fantastic back, with Tatum Bell-like speed, and Maroney, well I personally didn't think he would be the Pats leading rusher and have more carries than Dillon has at this point. Maroney has surpassed my thoughts of where he'd be at this point, and I am very happy with him. The Cincy game proved to the NFL waht this kid (he's only 21) can do.

Hmm. When a receiver gets a lot of catches for low yardage, one good measure is first downs. How is he doing by that standard?

scott99 said:
You all make some interesting points. Some of the points have made me shake my head in suprise though. To compare him to Dave Meggett, is an absolute joke. Meggett was a fine player, who did a lot for the Giants and Pats, but he never had the breakaway speed that Bush has, if he did he'd hold every return record ever. He also, though a fine third down back out of the backfield, never was as good as the Faulk's (yes, both Kevin & Marshall were better receivers), and nowhere near the receiver Bush is.
The reason I made that comparison to Meggett was because he has proven to be nothing more than a glorified third down back. The Saints used the number two pick in the draft on a running back. Supposedly the best running back some of us will see in our lifetime. So far he has absolutely sucked at running the ball but these clowns on tv try to cover their ***es by showing how great he is as a WR. Who cares? This is a running back we're talking about. It's like the people who proclaim Vick as one of the best QBs and then cite his rushing yards as an example. That my friend is what I call a joke.

Bush is Bush. He's doing great things for the Saints. His mere presence on the field makes defenses adjust to him and so while he may not get the best numbers, he is allowing his teammate to see one on one matchup. When you talk about one rookie this year, you can't find anybody that can single-handedly change the way a defense adjust like Reggie Bush is doing. Defenses see Maroney, they are not going to gear towards him, or any other rookie. Reggie Bush is versatile in that not only is he a good RB and a WR, he's also a damn good decoy.

The Saints is off to a 4-1 start, their best start since franchise inception. That alone should tell you something about what a unique player he is.

I think if Bush is to be used in our offense he would definitely be better than Maroney. Just an honest opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft