PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden 4.27 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you did not watch the Chargers game earlier in the regular season. Adalius Thomas made an impact inside since the Patriots defense played better before Rosevelt Colvin went down.

He had one impact game that was against the chargers. ONE. The rest he dissapeared and made no impact. Like i said go look at how many SOLO tackles he made and compare them with legit inside linebackers who lead the league in tackles. Thomas simply doesnt have the agility or change of direction to play inside and run and get to RBs fast enough. Hes got great straight line speed but you need more quickness, agility, and change of direction to play inside. He wont be playing inside next year. He also played insane in the superbowl that is the Thomas we were expecting to get, and that was on the outside.

How many more years will Faulk and Morris play? They are both over 30 and RBs run out of steam faster than any position in the NFL. We are gunna need another OLB soon, we are gunna also need another RB soon. For you to say its ok to draft a LB and not a RB is dumb. Pats usually bring in vet LBs in free agency anyways when is the last time they drafted a LB early?
Funny how the Denver Broncos find undrafted free agents to play running back in the zone blocking system. Funny how the Green Bay Packers trade a sixth round draft pick to the New York Giants for a running back rotting on the bench. Funny how the New England Patriots found a Hall of Fame running back in the third round of the 1995 NFL Draft. While talking about the 1995 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos found a running back in the sixth round.

Drafting a running back in the first round when the Patriots already expended a first round draft pick in 2006 on a running back is a complete waste of resources considering the number of holes in the New England Patriots 2008 defense.

you sound like you have a personal grudge against him.

Theres way more to finding special players than what you see on the football field.

And you sound like you're having his children.

And what the heck is a "manurism"?

Funny how the Denver Broncos find undrafted free agents to play running back in the zone blocking system. Funny how the Green Bay Packers trade a sixth round draft pick to the New York Giants for a running back rotting on the bench. Funny how the New England Patriots found a Hall of Fame running back in the third round of the 1995 NFL Draft. While talking about the 1995 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos found a running back in the sixth round.

Drafting a running back in the first round when the Patriots already expended a first round draft pick in 2006 on a running back is a complete waste of resources considering the number of holes in the New England Patriots 2008 defense.

But, but... but, Faulk and Morris are getting old! :rolleyes: His best reasons to expend a pick on McFadden are: he's got "it" and that two role playing running backs are over thirty. :bricks: Great idea, he's persuaded me.

Keep yapping about McFadden because Belichick will not draft another running back in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft when Laurence Maroney is currently on the Patriots roster.

The New England Patriots would draft Gholston long before McFadden if push came to shove.

:agree: I'm new but does this messageboard always get so combative? Any way, the best player available tactic doesn't work when you have pressing needs and raises the question how much could DMF actually improve our offense? Really it's like saying we should draft Ryan or Dorsey becasue they are "stud impact" players. Meanwhile a LB or CB could come in and immediately improve our defense. I'm hoping and praying for Gholston, 37 reps and should run something like 4.55 or 4.6

He had one impact game that was against the chargers. ONE. The rest he dissapeared and made no impact. Like i said go look at how many SOLO tackles he made and compare them with legit inside linebackers who lead the league in tackles. Thomas simply doesnt have the agility or change of direction to play inside and run and get to RBs fast enough. Hes got great straight line speed but you need more quickness, agility, and change of direction to play inside. He wont be playing inside next year. He also played insane in the superbowl that is the Thomas we were expecting to get, and that was on the outside.
Based upon that argument, the New England Patriots better find an inside linebacker in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft instead of a running back.

:agree: I'm new but does this messageboard always get so combative? Any way, the best player available tactic doesn't work when you have pressing needs and raises the question how much could DMF actually improve our offense? Really it's like saying we should draft Ryan or Dorsey becasue they are "stud impact" players. Meanwhile a LB or CB could come in and immediately improve our defense. I'm hoping and praying for Gholston, 37 reps and should run something like 4.55 or 4.6
Some people are quite obsessive over one individual in the draft that does not resolve the apparent needs of the team:

Inside Linebacker
Outside Linebacker (if you consider Adalius Thomas an inside linebacker)
Cornerback

no mancrush here on McFadden really, i wont be upset if the Pats dont get him, theres alot of guys i like and the Pats could use alot of them. Wouldnt even mind the Pats reaching for any CB they want at 7 since we have the pick of the litter.

I just would not pass up McFadden if he is on the board that is all. He is a stud, hes more competative than most of the players, hes like Brady in that regard. He makes players around him better, players look up to him. Hes got an aura around him that you cant touch me. Hes the best and he knows it. Those guys are dangerous when its actually true, and in McFaddens case it is.

Based upon that argument, the New England Patriots better find an inside linebacker in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft instead of a running back.

doesnt have to be round one, there are no round one ilb worth taking that high. We could draft a ILB in rounds 2-3 and bring in some free agents like we already tried with Zach Thomas or Dan Morgan. The pats are not going to draft on need, they are going to draft a good football player.

Thomas was moved outside before Colvins injury because he was playing poorly inside, he was making no impact. Then Colvin went down and he took over permanently. Thomas isnt going to be playing inside unless he has to he is way better outside.

I don't think any of this is true, in particular I don't remember AD being switched to OLB until Colvin went down - heck, there were Qs as to whether he'd stay at ILB and Woods would takeover at OLB when Colvin was IR'd.

AD was playing quite well at ILB until his ankle injury against CLE, by the time he was healthy again, they moved him outside due to necessity.

Last edited:
Let's see, most folks had McFadden as a vey long shot to be available at #6. He runs a 4.27 and now he'll be available at 7??????

If the raiders miss coming to the table within their 15 minutes, the jets will take McFadden or trade down. This could make Gholston available to us.

The Raiders will probably go ape sh*t over this, and use their top 5 pick on him. In any case, I wish Pats fans would stop talking about the guy. Know this, they WILL NOT select him, if he makes it that far. He likely will not make it that far, and the Jets would take him, or trade out of their pick so the Cowboys or some other team could move up for him.

Oh, and Big man Jonathan Stewart just ran a 4.44 at 235lbs. I really like him, too.

Let's see, most folks had McFadden as a vey long shot to be available at #6. He runs a 4.27 and now he'll be available at 7??????

If the raiders miss coming to the table within their 15 minutes, the jets will take McFadden or trade down. This could make Gholston available to us.

Dont be too sure Mangini would deffinitly take McFadden. Not with the bad blood between him and Belichick and the Pats drafting right behind them. I could see Mangini passing on McFadden and taking Gholston to screw BB and the Pats. On the other hand i could easily see them taking BPA and McFadden.

One man's obsession with one collegiate player ......

Dont be too sure Mangini would deffinitly take McFadden. Not with the bad blood between him and Belichick and the Pats drafting right behind them. I could see Mangini passing on McFadden and taking Gholston to screw BB and the Pats. On the other hand i could easily see them taking BPA and McFadden.
The Jets have to fix their offense as well as their defense. There are alot of holes on the New York Jets as evident by their poor record in 2007.

I don't think any of this is true, in particular I don't remember AD being switched to OLB until Colvin went down - heck, there were Qs as to whether he'd stay at ILB and Woods would takeover at OLB when Colvin was IR'd.

AD was playing quite well at ILB until his ankle injury against CLE, by the time he was healthy again, they moved him outside due to necessity.

they moved him outside a couple games before Colvins injury i know this for a fact cause there was a big debate on another message board on Thomas playing inside / outside and we were keeping tabs on it. He was moved outside because he was playing so poorly inside. There were multiple games he only made 1 solo tackle, thats not what you want out of your inside linebacker. When they moved him outside they got more production out of him, i really dont think the ILB project worked and i dont think he will be back there. Hes a good OLB though.

The Jets have to fix their offense as well as their defense. There are alot of holes on the New York Jets as evident by their poor record in 2007.

their top two needs are RB and a OLB for the 3-4. They could use both McFadden and Gholston. Like i said i could see Mangini screwing BB over and not wanting to strengthen the Pats D.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DaBruinz Considering your ineptitude, I'll take that as a compliment.

1) I Like Moss. He's one of the best. As I said and you ignored, Moss was doubled and triple-teamed during the play-offs. Had you watched, you'd have known that.

And McFadden does not draw attention either?

McFadden doesn't draw near the attention that Moss does and you damn well know it.

2) McFadden and Maroney are very similar players. McFadden is NOT a power runner. Read that again. Now, read it AGAIN. McFadden is NOT a power runner. McFadden wouldn't replace Morris because Morris is significantly more of a power runner than McFadden (which isn't saying much).

Morris isnt a powerback, he was a scrub free agent pickup that played well nothing more. McFadden is ten times the player Morris is and would upgrade him in a millisecond. Morris runs hard but he is nothing special, McFaddens game is different just like Maroneys, they dont have to be powerbacks to be good.

Please continue to show how friggin ignorant you are. Morris is more of a powerback than McFadden is. McFadden isn't anything more special than Maroney. That's your problem. Hell, McFadden will be lucky to be this year's Reggie Bush.

And, while they don't have to be powerbacks, moron, You need to have differences between your backs. It keeps the defense off balance.
3) While Maroney doesn't see the field all the time now, you are saying to put him on the bench permanently by drafting McFadden. Not in so many words, but you are.

Where did i say that? I said they would split carries, a two back system which the pats like to run. McFadden would replace Morris but who knows maybe Maroney would end up the backup in the end. Maroney already sees the bench a ton with Faulk coming in, and Faulk is getting old. Dont see anything changing much if they drafted McFadden they would mix it up with all the backs.

God, you truly are ignorant. The moment you put McFadden on the field, Maroney is WASTING on the bench. Maroney wasn't seeing the bench nearly as much near the end of the season, idiot. Not to mention that the game plans were different for the last games than they were for the games against Philly, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore

You don't see anything changing because your myopic and can't see beyond your nose. Faulk may be "getting old" but he still put up over 4 YPC (4.3 to be exact) on the run and still picked up 47 receptions.

4) It would be different because they've already spent a first round draft choice (just 2 years ago) on a top flight running back. Name me ONE other team that has used a 1st round pick within 3 years of eachother on RBs while the 1st RB was still on the team.

It comes down to BPA imo, RB isnt the top need but it can be upgraded and you dont pass on a stud if there are no other studs in areas of higher need. Like i said before if Rey Maualuga was on the board with McFadden id take him over McFadden because we have a greater need at LB. I dont see a LB or CB worth taking over McFadden.

And this is why you you are ignorant. It doesn't come down to BPA. The Pats have NEVER drafted BPA nor are they going to start just because YOU think they will take an over-rated McFadden who has issues picking up the blitz and holding onto the ball. Not to mention hitting the holes when he's supposed to.

As for Rey Maualuga, would you please stop. There is NO guarantee that the Patriots would be looking at HIM either.

Also, since you are so damn ignorant, there is a great likelihood of the Patriots trading down and picking up another player. Another player, added in with a CB, will have significantly more value than the over-rated McFadden.

Briz, you clearly don't see it from the ENTIRE picture. You see it from your own little myopic wet dream. OOOO.. lets get McFadden so I can fantasize about him... That is the difference between YOU and 90% of the other posters here. They take a much BIGGER view of the situation.[/I]
Actually i know the pats needs quite well and am pretty good at evaluating prospects. I dont go on hype and am not just saying to take McFadden because hes a sexy pick. He is a damn good football player that makes others around him better, he has elite competativness and would improve our team greatly. You take him because hes the best player availible by a large margin if he were at that pick. We have more pressing needs but the value is not there and could be filled later on or in free agency.

Sorry Briz, you continue to show you AREN'T good at evaluating prospects and that you don't understand JACK about the Patriots and how they draft. So, Please keep your spewings to yourself about McFadden already and just deal with the REALITY that the Patriots won't be drafting him.

Yes, you DO go on hype. And McFadden is proof positive of that. He DID NOT make the other players around him better. He doesn't have ELITE competitiveness, and would NOT improve the Patriots offense worth a damn. You don't take him because he's the best player available, because he wouldn't necessarily be the best player available.

BTW, There isn't squat available for CBs and LBs in free agency beyond Bruschi and Seau that would work well in the Pats system except maybe Victor Hobson. So, that kind of shoots down that dumb theory of yours. Like I said, you don't look at the big picture. You look at your myopic view.

Last edited:
they moved him outside a couple games before Colvins injury i know this for a fact cause there was a big debate on another message board on Thomas playing inside / outside and we were keeping tabs on it. He was moved outside because he was playing so poorly inside. There were multiple games he only made 1 solo tackle, thats not what you want out of your inside linebacker. When they moved him outside they got more production out of him, i really dont think the ILB project worked and i dont think he will be back there. Hes a good OLB though.

Did you actually see him play considerable snaps at OLB or did you just talk about it? And in what situations? Passing? 3rd down?

You're getting too focused on stats = production - it's not as meaningful in the Pats system, ILBs aren't shooting gaps and running down backs. His stats might've gone up at OLB, but his impact at ILB is more important b/c he's good in coverage and big enough to take on the guards in the rushing game. He wasn't setting the edge against the run at OLB, and that's why our rushing defense suffered in the weeks after Colvin went down.

Again, I think he was playing quite well at ILB until his ankle injury, and that's where he'll be to start 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST