PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden 4.27 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Jake Long falls to seven, I don't see any way the Patriots select an offensive player with that pick. The best available defensive back, pass rusher, or ILB if they feel Rivers is worth it... all those areas are needs because they don't have anyone on the roster who can play the position or they could use the upgrade/rotational situation. Running back makes zero sense to me. Zero.

Exactly, and (I said this already) there is depth at RB in this draft class. If you don't have a need at RB, have other areas of much more important need, and there should be good CB's, ILB (Rivers), OLB, and OT's available in the first, then how could it even possibly make sense to draft McFadden?

Investing a 7th overall contract in a RB, when you already have Maroney on the roster just seems idiotic to me.

If they wanted to draft a RB to rotate with Maroney (not saying they do) they could take someone in the second or third, and if they want to find Faulk's future replacent he could be found in the second or third.

And, if they were to take a RB in the first round I would want it to be Stewart who would be a beast in rotation with Maroney.

Also, Maroney and McFadden are more similar than they are different, so they don't make sense in rotation.

you sound like you have a personal grudge against him.

Theres way more to finding special players than what you see on the football field.

No. I sound like someone who actually has watched him play and watched him benefit from others more than he's helped them. Its pretty telling when people who've watched McFadden and are Arkansas fans call him over-rated.

we have more than one pick. Samuel was a 4th round pick and Hobbs a 3rd you no. Theres no CB in this draft worth taking over McFadden.
I seriously doubt the Patriots will wait until the second to last pick in the second round to select a cornerback. As for Asante Samuel, the New England Patriots had to wait until his fourth season to be a premier cornerback. The New England Patriots will need instant returns on a cornerback in this year's draft.

I don't think McFadden is worth the hype, partly from what I've seen, partly from what knowledgeable posters on this site have said, and partly because of what Mike Mayock has said (funny how all three seem to be wary of the same things), but the idea of drafting any running back seventh overall, with the roster that we already have, and with the other glaring needs on the team, is just purely ridiculous, regardless of whether or not McFadden has "it," a meaningless, arbitrary term that you are using to describe his leadership and his ability to make others around him better (even from the bench), when this Patriots team is far from lacking in leadership and already has someone who absolutely does make everyone on his team better, the most important player on the team, Tom Brady.

But if we draft McFadden Brady won't be able to make everyone on offense better, 'cause we'll have to switch to the wishbone to take advantage of our new franchise running back and his limited skillset. The best McFadden has looked when I've seen him play is out of that offensive set, and I highly doubt any NFL team will be consistently using that package in the NFL, especially ones with elite quarterbacks.

we have more than one pick. Samuel was a 4th round pick and Hobbs a 3rd you know. Theres no CB in this draft worth taking over McFadden.

Yes there are. PLENTY. Even your other binkie is going to have more impact on this team than drafting McFadden will. That's what you don't understand.

You're an imbecile, as always.

1) I am not touting Gholston.

Didnt say you were but the comparison is the same, as well with Moss. Do you not tout Moss? How did he do in the playoffs?

2) The Pats may have 4 OTs, but 3 of them are JAGs. What does that mean? It means that they can add a player and be that much more effective because that upgrade would be on the field every play immediately. You wouldn't get that with McFadden. That's what you don't understand.

Light, Kazcur, and Ocallahan could be upgraded immediately, if theres a stud OT on the board you dont pass him up just because you already have suitable starters. Brady cannot be upgraded, and the Dline would be very hard to as well. Those are the only positions you pass on imo. The Pats drafted Maroney in the first and he doesnt see the field every play, how is McFadden different? He would probably replace Morris and split carries with Maroney, that would be a leathal one two punch imo.

3) McFadden doesn't upgrade every one of our backs because the Patriots will NOT carry 4 RBs. It actually hurts the RBs because it puts Maroney and his salary on the bench. But, i wouldn't expect you to understand that, Briz. You are as short-sighted as ever when it comes to your binkies.

See above.

4) Moss was drawing all the double and triple teams in the play-offs moron. How do you think Welker got open so much and wasn't double or triple covered?

And McFadden draw 8, 9 men in the box too. To say McFadden is overated because he had a bad bowl game is boarderline neanderthal.

Light, Kazcur, and Ocallahan could be upgraded immediately, if theres a stud OT on the board you dont pass him up just because you already have suitable starters. Brady cannot be upgraded, and the Dline would be very hard to as well. Those are the only positions you pass on imo. The Pats drafted Maroney in the first and he doesnt see the field every play, how is McFadden different? He would probably replace Morris and split carries with Maroney, that would be a leathal one two punch imo.

And McFadden draw 8, 9 men in the box too. To say McFadden is overated because he had a bad bowl game is boarderline neanderthal.

Considering your ineptitude, I'll take that as a compliment.

1) I Like Moss. He's one of the best. As I said and you ignored, Moss was doubled and triple-teamed during the play-offs. Had you watched, you'd have known that.

2) McFadden and Maroney are very similar players. McFadden is NOT a power runner. Read that again. Now, read it AGAIN. McFadden is NOT a power runner. McFadden wouldn't replace Morris because Morris is significantly more of a power runner than McFadden (which isn't saying much).

3) While Maroney doesn't see the field all the time now, you are saying to put him on the bench permanently by drafting McFadden. Not in so many words, but you are.

4) It would be different because they've already spent a first round draft choice (just 2 years ago) on a top flight running back. Name me ONE other team that has used a 1st round pick within 3 years of eachother on RBs while the 1st RB was still on the team.

Briz, you clearly don't see it from the ENTIRE picture. You see it from your own little myopic wet dream. OOOO.. lets get McFadden so I can fantasize about him... That is the difference between YOU and 90% of the other posters here. They take a much BIGGER view of the situation.

The Raiders will probably go ape sh*t over this, and use their top 5 pick on him.

In the old days, Davis used to love speed. But they're not going to win, unless they improve up front on both sides of the ball.

In any case, I wish Pats fans would stop talking about the guy. Know this, they WILL NOT select him, if he makes it that far. He likely will not make it that far, and the Jets would take him, or trade out of their pick so the Cowboys or some other team could move up for him.
Right, I seriously doubt we'd even consider him. And yes, I hope the Jesters are foolish enough to pick him -- McFadden won't dent the Pats front 7.

Oh, and Big man Jonathan Stewart just ran a 4.44 at 235lbs. I really like him, too.
My favorite feature back - but we don't need another.

Right, I seriously doubt we'd even consider him. And yes, I hope the Jesters are foolish enough to pick him -- McFadden won't dent the Pats front 7.
Aside from Nick Mangold, I'm not impressed with the NY Jets offensive line. D'Brickashaw Ferguson is way overrated to be the franchise left tackle.

Considering your ineptitude, I'll take that as a compliment.

1) I Like Moss. He's one of the best. As I said and you ignored, Moss was doubled and triple-teamed during the play-offs. Had you watched, you'd have known that.

And McFadden does not draw attention either?

2) McFadden and Maroney are very similar players. McFadden is NOT a power runner. Read that again. Now, read it AGAIN. McFadden is NOT a power runner. McFadden wouldn't replace Morris because Morris is significantly more of a power runner than McFadden (which isn't saying much).

Morris isnt a powerback, he was a scrub free agent pickup that played well nothing more. McFadden is ten times the player Morris is and would upgrade him in a millisecond. Morris runs hard but he is nothing special, McFaddens game is different just like Maroneys, they dont have to be powerbacks to be good.

3) While Maroney doesn't see the field all the time now, you are saying to put him on the bench permanently by drafting McFadden. Not in so many words, but you are.

Where did i say that? I said they would split carries, a two back system which the pats like to run. McFadden would replace Morris but who knows maybe Maroney would end up the backup in the end. Maroney already sees the bench a ton with Faulk coming in, and Faulk is getting old. Dont see anything changing much if they drafted McFadden they would mix it up with all the backs.

4) It would be different because they've already spent a first round draft choice (just 2 years ago) on a top flight running back. Name me ONE other team that has used a 1st round pick within 3 years of eachother on RBs while the 1st RB was still on the team.

It comes down to BPA imo, RB isnt the top need but it can be upgraded and you dont pass on a stud if there are no other studs in areas of higher need. Like i said before if Rey Maualuga was on the board with McFadden id take him over McFadden because we have a greater need at LB. I dont see a LB or CB worth taking over McFadden.

Briz, you clearly don't see it from the ENTIRE picture. You see it from your own little myopic wet dream. OOOO.. lets get McFadden so I can fantasize about him... That is the difference between YOU and 90% of the other posters here. They take a much BIGGER view of the situation.

Actually i know the pats needs quite well and am pretty good at evaluating prospects. I dont go on hype and am not just saying to take McFadden because hes a sexy pick. He is a damn good football player that makes others around him better, he has elite competativness and would improve our team greatly. You take him because hes the best player availible by a large margin if he were at that pick. We have more pressing needs but the value is not there and could be filled later on or in free agency.

Last edited:
Actually i know the pats needs quite well and am pretty good at evaluating prospects. I dont go on hype and am not just saying to take McFadden because hes a sexy pick. He is a damn good football player that makes others around him better, he has elite competativness and would improve our team greatly. You take him because hes the best player availible by a large margin if he were at that pick. We have more pressing needs but the value is not there and could be filled later on or in free agency.

No team picks strictly on best player available, otherwise you'd have a crappy team. You pick the best player available at a position of need (or of looming need). That is neither for McFadden and the improvement his presence would have on this team is not as valuable as a cornerback or linebacker that the Patriots deem worthy of selecting at that pick. McFadden is not worth as much to the Patriots as a player like Vernon Gholston (or another high first round talent at a position of need).

Last edited:
No team picks strictly on best player available, otherwise you'd have a crappy team. You pick the best player available at a position of need (or of looming need). That is neither for McFadden and the improvement his presence would have on this team is not as valuable as a cornerback or linebacker that the Patriots deem worthy of selecting at that pick. McFadden is not worth as much to the Patriots as a player like Vernon Gholston (or another high first round talent at a position of need).

BPA out of the teams needs and positions that can be upgraded. Ryan or Dorsey ect could be BPA at the Pats picks but the Pats wouldnt take them. RB imo is a position that can be upgraded, not necessarily a need, so you consider BPA.

If you have Gholston rated higher than McFadden then you would be right. I however do not. And no CB is on the level McFadden is, we have more picks than one in the first round, we dont need to reach for a CB.

BPA out of the teams needs and positions that can be upgraded. Ryan or Dorsey ect could be BPA at the Pats picks but the Pats wouldnt take them. RB imo is a position that can be upgraded, not necessarily a need, so you consider BPA.

If you have Gholston rated higher than McFadden then you would be right. I however do not. And no CB is on the level McFadden is, we have more picks than one in the first round, we dont need to reach for a CB.

The upgrade at RB if they were to take McFadden would not have the same impact on the Pats if they were to take Gholston or a CB or an ILB or to trade down. His presence on the team is not worth the contract or the pick in the draft. He does not represent good value, nor does he represent a smart pick.

And I have serious doubts as to whether or not he will be worth a high pick in the draft for any team, let alone for the Patriots.

And I have serious doubts as to whether or not he will be worth a high pick in the draft for any team, let alone for the Patriots.
I agree since I personally don't think McFadden will be the best running back in the 2008 NFL Draft over the long haul. For all the hype, Reggie Bush has not lived up to his #2 number pick status and he was touted to be more versatile than McFadden.

The upgrade at RB if they were to take McFadden would not have the same impact on the Pats if they were to take Gholston or a CB or an ILB or to trade down. His presence on the team is not worth the contract or the pick in the draft. He does not represent good value, nor does he represent a smart pick.

I completely dissagree, taking McFadden would have more of an impact over reaching for a CB or LB high. You get a stud and could find CBs and LBs later on to fill need. The impact of a stud player on a team can be great, look at Moss, Peterson, heck even Tom Brady. Theres alot of good football players in this draft that can help our team, and we have three other first day picks to take them. There are very few stud impact players in this draft. I believe McFadden is one of them, im not sold on Gholston yet i need to see more. And i dont see any stud CBs with the exception of possibly Cromartie but we need to see more as well.

Last edited:
I agree since I personally don't think McFadden will be the best running back in the 2008 NFL Draft over the long haul. For all the hype, Reggie Bush has not lived up to his #2 number pick status and he was touted to be more versatile than McFadden.

And then you could point to Peterson and he more than lived up to the hype. I'm not going to act like I know how good McFadden is going to be but I think its foolish for people to say definitively that the Patriots will NOT select him if he's available. I don't think they would but you never know with the Patriots.

Personally, I think the best thing would be for McFadden to be available at 7 and then trade out of the spot for someone to overpay for him. I doubt he gets by #6 though, either by being taken by the Jets or traded to another team.

I'm not going to act like I know how good McFadden is going to be but I think its foolish for people to say definitively that the Patriots will NOT select him if he's available. I don't think they would but you never know with the Patriots.
With all the holes the Patriots will have at cornerback once free agency commences, it would be foolish to select an offensive player especially considering the New England Patriots potent offense.

With all the holes the Patriots will have at cornerback once free agency commences, it would be foolish to select an offensive player especially considering the New England Patriots potent offense.

it would be foolish to pass on a stud impact player. So you would take a CB at #7 over Chris Long if he were there at our pick? Or Jake Long?

According to Reiss it was 4.33, and I assume Reiss got his info from the NFL media people

it would be foolish to pass on a stud impact player. So you would take a CB at #7 over Chris Long if he were there at our pick? Or Jake Long?
Vernon Gholston - 37 reps at 225 lbs. Not bad for a defensive end who weighs less than 270 lbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye