PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McFadden 4.27 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
McFadden update:

Per Mike Mayock (NFL Network), his official time is 4.33 -- not the 4.27 posted earlier. I had my doubts about him being the fastest RB in this draft. IMO, Chris Johnson is. Still waiting to see an official time for Johnson.

Hey, would have posted this on a new post but alas not allowed quite yet(3 posts to go,lol). Here is my take on it.....
ATL takes DMF at 3, and Ryan falls to us at 7. ATL then trades us their 08 2, 09 1 and J.Norwood. Norwood is a great 3rd down back, we can get both a cb and a OL in the 2nd round and have a 2nd #1 next year for trading up to get Rey Maleuglua(sp)!! That solves the trade back scenario, money scenarion, makes ATL new GM look like a genius getting both Ryan and DMF, and we have just as many picks but in the more cost effective section of the draft! DMF wont fall past 5-6, but Ryan might. I am going over to the ATL people and seeing what they think.....

Vernon Gholston - 37 reps at 225 lbs. Not bad for a defensive end who weighs less than 270 lbs.

who cares how much he benches the first priority for any player drafted by the Pats is "are they a good football player?" Chris Long is a good football player, im not so sure Gholston is, not a stud anyway.

But you didnt answer the question, you are yapping on about CBs yet would take one at #7 over an offense player in Jake Long?

According to Reiss it was 4.33, and I assume Reiss got his info from the NFL media people

4.33 was his second time, 4.27 was his first run. Anyone catch that Chris Johnson out of ECU ran a 4.24 as listed on NFL.com's top performers list at the combine.

not surprising Mayock went with 4.3 since hes been bashing him and dropped him down in his rankings so far, looks like a tool. His first run was 4.27. He had Manningham as his best WR and he ran a 4.6 or something lol.

Last edited:
4.33 was his second time, 4.27 was his first run. Anyone catch that Chris Johnson out of ECU ran a 4.24 as listed on NFL.com's top performers list at the combine.

The 4.33 time on Reiss's was the official, the 4.27 was unofficial (as are all the NFL.com broadcast numbers). I'm pretty sure Johnson's on the NFL.com broadcast was 4.27, too.

Hey, would have posted this on a new post but alas not allowed quite yet(3 posts to go,lol). Here is my take on it.....
ATL takes DMF at 3, and Ryan falls to us at 7. ATL then trades us their 08 2, 09 1 and J.Norwood. Norwood is a great 3rd down back, we can get both a cb and a OL in the 2nd round and have a 2nd #1 next year for trading up to get Rey Maleuglua(sp)!! That solves the trade back scenario, money scenarion, makes ATL new GM look like a genius getting both Ryan and DMF, and we have just as many picks but in the more cost effective section of the draft! DMF wont fall past 5-6, but Ryan might. I am going over to the ATL people and seeing what they think.....

this was my dream too first, trade our #7 to Atlanta for CB DeAngelo Hall and their 09 1st rounder. We get a great CB and are in position to get Rey next year with two 1st rounders (one probably being top 15 cuz Atlanta stinks). Atlanta could then select McFadden at #3 AND Ryan at #7. Would be soooo perfect <drools> but i doubt it would happen.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?rls=New England Patriots&tid=2234088&lid=84

Last edited:
who cares how much he benches the first priority for any player drafted by the Pats is "are they a good football player?" Chris Long is a good football player, im not so sure Gholston is, not a stud anyway.

But you didnt answer the question, you are yapping on about CBs yet would take one at #7 over an offense player in Jake Long?
In the New England Patriots position, I would definitely trade down as many times necessary to get to the middle of the first round.

In the New England Patriots position, I would definitely trade down as many times necessary to get to the middle of the first round.

In other words you would.

You're a neanderthal.

In other words you would.

You're a neanderthal.
Keep yapping about McFadden because Belichick will not draft another running back in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft when Laurence Maroney is currently on the Patriots roster.

The New England Patriots would draft Gholston long before McFadden if push came to shove.

Keep yapping about McFadden because Belichick will not draft another running back in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft when Laurence Maroney is currently on the Patriots roster.

The New England Patriots would draft Gholston long before McFadden if push came to shove.

No they wont because they draft good football players not one trick ponies that can bench a sperm whale. Gholston is a project and would need some time to get adapted to the pats 3-4 OLB position with all its coverage responsibilities even if he could at all. As a pure football player no he is not on McFaddens level.

No they wont because they draft good football players not one trick ponies that can bench a sperm whale.
So finding defensive players who can rush the passer especially on third down is a futile cause? Meanwhile drafting Tedy Bruschi was a futile cause since he was known as a pass rushing defensive end in college. The same could be said about Willie McGinest whose career was extended by converting him to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

No they wont because they draft good football players not one trick ponies that can bench a sperm whale. Gholston is a project and would need some time to get adapted to the pats 3-4 OLB position with all its coverage responsibilities even if he could at all. As a pure football player no he is not on McFaddens level.

Neither you, nor anyone else knows how these players will handle the transition to the pros. Let's just look back to the top 10 in 2005 for examples.

Alex Smith
Ronnie Brown
Braylon Edwards
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Pacman Jones
Troy Williamson
Antrel Rolle
Carlos Rogers
Mike Williams

About half of those players have been disappointments based solely on their on-the-field play, others have had injury issues and/or off-field problems. You can drop to your knees in front of McFadden all you want, but it doesn't mean a damned thing. The Patriots will draft the player that they think will pan out, whether it be McFadden or some guy name 'chuckilonangllulla'. New England is better than most at figuring out who will work for them, and that's good enough for me.

If we get a RB in the first round that tells me its BB's last year and he is burning it up on his way out! Here's hoping its NOT a rb! That said, if we cant trade down I would rather have DMF than Gholston as of today....that might change after he works out...

If we get a RB in the first round that tells me its BB's last year and he is burning it up on his way out! Here's hoping its NOT a rb! That said, if we cant trade down I would rather have DMF than Gholston as of today....that might change after he works out...
If there is any problem whatsoever with the New England Patriots offense, it's the offensive line not running back.

So finding defensive players who can rush the passer especially on third down is a futile cause? Meanwhile drafting Tedy Bruschi was a futile cause since he was known as a pass rushing defensive end in college. The same could be said about Willie McGinest whose career was extended by converting him to a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Im not saying its a futile cause id love to have a premier pass rushing OLB, but one that is complete and can cover as well. Im not sure Gholston is that, we know he can pass rush but is he athletic enough to hold up in coverage? He was mainly a down lineman how well does he play with his hand off the ground? We have Colvin, Adalius and Vrabel at OLB right now one could argue there isnt really a need, but they could be upgraded. Theres about as much of a need at OLB as there is at RB yet McFadden is off limits and Gholston isnt? What we really need is a stud ILB but there arent any, Thomas is not very good inside he doesnt have the agility to play there hes better suited on the outside. McFadden is the better player he is rated higher on my board than Gholston.

Im not saying its a futile cause id love to have a premier pass rushing OLB, but one that is complete and can cover as well. Im not sure Gholston is that, we know he can pass rush but is he athletic enough to hold up in coverage? He was mainly a down lineman how well does he play with his hand off the ground? We have Colvin, Adalius and Vrabel at OLB right now one could argue there isnt really a need, but they could be upgraded.
There is a need because currently the Patriots have slated Adalius Thomas to play inside linebacker as was case earlier last season before Colvin went down. As of today, neither Bruschi nor Seau are on the Patriots roster since both are unrestricted free agents. Also, there is a chance that both may retire considering their age and the number of years played in the NFL.

How many more years will Vrabel and Colvin play at a high level? How will Colvin respond coming off what I presume is a foot injury? Where is the next generation of McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Johnson at linebacker for the New England Patriots? How much more money will be spent in free agency on linebackers at the expense of the cornerback position?

There is a need because currently the Patriots have slated Adalius Thomas to play inside linebacker as was case earlier last season before Colvin went down. As of today, neither Bruschi nor Seau are on the Patriots roster since both are unrestricted free agents. Also, there is a chance that both may retire considering their age and the number of years played in the NFL.

How many more years will Vrabel and Colvin play at a high level? How will Colvin respond coming off what I presume is a foot injury? Where is the next generation of McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, Johnson at linebacker for the New England Patriots? How much more money will be spent in free agency on linebackers at the expense of the cornerback position?

Thomas was moved outside before Colvins injury because he was playing poorly inside, he was making no impact. Then Colvin went down and he took over permanently. Thomas isnt going to be playing inside unless he has to he is way better outside. Go back as see how many SOLO tackles Adalius made inside early in the year and compare them with legitamit inside linebackers like Urlacher and such. Urlacher and other good inside backers usually get around 10 solo tackles a game, Adalius was barely getting 2.

How many more years will Faulk and Morris play? They are both over 30 and RBs run out of steam faster than any position in the NFL. We are gunna need another OLB soon, we are gunna also need another RB soon. For you to say its ok to draft a LB and not a RB is dumb. Pats usually bring in vet LBs in free agency anyways when is the last time they drafted a LB early?

Last edited:

I agree that LB should be a top concern for the Pats in the draft. But it seems like we've had this same situation for a couple years now and the Pats still don't draft LB high. We shall see though. I would love to get a stud LB or CB in the 1st rd.

Thomas was moved outside before Colvins injury because he was playing poorly inside, he was making no impact.
I guess you did not watch the Chargers game earlier in the regular season. Adalius Thomas made an impact inside since the Patriots defense played better before Rosevelt Colvin went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back