PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty and other injuries update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one Underrates anyone, were simply calling it like it is. Harmon has better numbers in almost every category of grading. He also has equal passes defended and more interceptions with a much lower snap count. Yes McCourty offers the teams slightly more versatility because his elite speed, but his decision making is essentially making it even.

This is some words that Pro football focus had to say about the two safeties 3 weeks ago.

"
Beside him, it was touch-and-go as to whether Devin McCourty would still be around after his contract expired this offseason. He decided to return to the franchise that drafted him, and he’s repaying their investment. Overall, he’s allowed 20-of-30 targets to be complete for 193 yards, one touchdown, has one interception, and four PDs. Those aren’t elite numbers, but they’re very respectable. With solidity at both outside corner positions, along the versatility of Chung and McCourty’s range from center field, the Patriots have no weaknesses on their back end.

Finally, it’s worth mentioning Duron Harmon, who replaces Chung at safety when he moves down to cover the slot in the nickel. His numbers this year are simply ludicrous. He’s allowed just one completion from four targets for 9 yards, but has three picks and a pass deflection. He’s shown impressive playmaking ability in obvious passing situations, suggesting the Patriots’ secondary could be even stronger moving forward. Harmon now has seven interceptions in his career, despite only allowing 13 completions. Although most of his interceptions have come on misplaced passes rather than jumped routes, that’s still some stat line.
"

Honestly losing McCourty is a big loss, but of all the loses this team has taken this season, its one of the least important ones. Harmon is a very very good player. This was clear with the way he came in and stepped up in the absence of Dmac last night.
Honestly I think more people have overrated McCourty this season then underrated him. Yes he's a leader, but he's not playing at the high level he was the past two seasons.
PFF has consistently rated McCourty as one of the best safties in the NFL, yes Harmon has also played very well but dont think of it necessarily as replacing McCourty with Harmon but replacing Harmon with Jordan Richards

Any chance we see edelman before the playoffs?

Honestly, I hope not.

Everything that I've read suggests this is the type of injury that you take caution with, particularly since Edelman's cuts and jukes are such a huge part of this offense/his overall game. I would much rather see him take some limited participation snaps in a controlled practice environment. I don't really have much concern that he won't be on the same page, with all of his experience and the 2 week bye, etc.

Of course, Belichick will likely see it differently and give him limited reps in one of the upcoming divisional games, but I'd probably just let the foot heal for another full month due to re-injury concerns at the worst time of the year.

Hopefully it's just precautionary for Blount although that's clearly not an optimistic report. Not sure what's out there, Jonas Gray is gone to Jax. We have Trey Williams on PS but he's a completely different kind of RB. Hopefully Blount will be OK and we won't have to sign someone but the pickings are slim.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 56s56 seconds ago

Ed Werder Retweeted Mike Reiss

I've been told LeGarrette Blount could miss some time but nothing definitive yet

I expect more roster churning this week. I wanted to to add a running back before Blount got hurt. Bolden is fine to take a few snaps but is mainly a ST player and moving him weakens two places. They don't really have a replacement for Blount, as Iosefa is a rookie conversion to FB and Williams is a rookie who is not an every down back. I would not be suprised to see a veteran signing. Time for Lombardi to pull another rabbit out of his hat.

Injury Update: Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount on Crutches, Availability in Jeopardy

Last edited:
If they actually win the championship with all of this going on, it will be one of the most amazing feats in NFL history. Back-to-back is hard enough; heck, most teams have a significant drop after winning the SB. But to have a 12-14 win season, and actually win the SB, with so many key players out, wow. Just wow.

Mike Cloud anyone? And to the first one who replies here with the year he was a Patriot wins.

If they actually win the championship with all of this going on, it will be one of the most amazing feats in NFL history. Back-to-back is hard enough; heck, most teams have a significant drop after winning the SB. But to have a 12-14 win season, and actually win the SB, with so many key players out, wow. Just wow.
The 2004 Patriots had their fair share of injuries, including losing their STARTING CBs, and yet still winning the SB with a 4th round corner and a rookie FA corner. That was their second SB victory in a row, so it is possible.

I still think that had to be historic, I don't think any team ever lost their starting corners and still won the SB. We lost Ty Law and Tyrone Poole. They were replaced by Asante Samuel and Randal Gay.

Mike Cloud anyone? And to the first one who replies here with the year he was a Patriot wins.
2003 and he wore #21

Scary thing is, I didn't have to google it. Just further proof that I have no life. My brain is filled with useless information. I even remember Cloud at Boston College.

Available RBs worth a look
Montee Ball
Steven Jackson
Shonn Greene
Trent Richardson
Isaiah Pead
Kendall Hunter
Storm Johnson
Ben Tate

Slim pickings

2003. If memory serves, he was a big part of the 9-6 win over the Browns. Ty had a late game interception to seal that one. Correct me if I'm wrong on that score. I also remember him having a big game against the Titans that year. That game was also sealed by a Law pick, a pick six this time on a bad angle/foot.

That will be wishful thinking if this team doesn't get at least a few back (Jules, High, DMac) while managing to not get anyone else injured. Also, this O-Line better figure something out.

For the foreseeable future, and if nobody else gets injured, we could be without:

Edelman
Blount
Hightower
McCourty
Freeny
Easley
Kline

Not to mention the walking wounded: Chandler, Coleman, Slater, Chung, Amendola, Gronk, and whoever else. Pats have to win two of the last three to get a bye that allows the injured another precious week to heal and avoids an additional week of injuries.

For the foreseeable future, and if nobody else gets injured, we could be without:

Edelman
Blount
Hightower
McCourty
Freeny
Easley
Kline

Not to mention the walking wounded: Chandler, Coleman, Slater, Chung, Amendola, Gronk, and whoever else. Pats have to win two of the last three to get a bye that allows the injured another precious week to heal and avoids an additional week of injuries.

Pats only need to win 2/3 to secure a bye with Denver and Cincy playing each other.

I also think Easley, Kline and Hightower will be fine down the stretch. Better to let the others rest we will need them healthy for playoffs.

Realistically if we cant beat Tennesee @ home and one of the jets or dolphins in the final two we dont deserve the bye.

Pats only need to win 2/3 to secure a bye with Denver and Cincy playing each other.

Edelman
Blount
Hightower
McCourty
Freeny
Easley
Kline

Edelman
Blount
Hightower
McCourty
Freeny
Easley
Kline

Lol im stupid, nothing to see here.

I think Denver loses to Cincy and pitts so we should be ok for at least second. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes