Today in Patriots History
Bob Dee

Happy birthday to Bob Dee, who would have been 88 today
Born May 18, 1933 in Quincy
Patriot Left Defensive End, 1960-1967; uniform #89
Signed with the Boston Patriots early in 1960
Died April 18, 1979 at the age of 45

bob%20dee.jpg

Why am I a lifelong hardcore fan of the Patriots? Part of that probably has something to do with growing up two blocks from Bob Dee, who would regularly come speak at our Little League banquets and Cub Scout meetings. The three sport letterman from Holy Cross spent a few years with Washington before retiring, so he could return to his alma mater to coach linemen. That was short lived, as he joined the Pats in the American Football League's inaugural season. Dee is credited with scoring the first touchdown in AFL history, a fumble recovered in the end zone against the Bills in the league's first preseason game. He is the only Patriot to ever wear #89 and to the best of my knowledge is the only pro football player from Braintree to appear in a regular season game.

600x370_bob_dee.jpg

A true ironman, Dee started every single game for eight straight seasons and was a five-time AFL All-Star. He retired from pro football due to a business opportunity to run an environmental services company. Jet Line Services Inc. was one of the region's first hazardous waste cleanup firms. One of his employees was a neighbor who had just graduated from high school whom he mentored, Alan McKim. He later started Clean Harbors, which is now the largest waste remediation firm in North America.

6b3963286dd67221c675c452430d6474--dee-patriots.jpg

Bob Dee is a member of the Pats All-Decade team for the 1960s and a member of the American Football League Hall of Fame. In 1993 he became the fourth player enshrined to the Patriots Hall of Fame. The helmet he wore for 105 of those 112 consecutive games played is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

scan0001+%25281024x808%2529.jpg

Not the largest player at his position at 6’4” and 250 lbs., Dee stressed a finesse game, preferring to overcome blockers with moves rather than through brute force. From his defensive line position, Bob Dee became one of the stalwarts around which the Patriots built a punishing defense. By 1963, Dee and his defensive mates were a feared squad that forced their opposition to throw the ball because of their solid run defense.

741px-Bob_Dee_of_the_Boston_Patriots_hands_Mayor_John_F._Collins_an_autographed_football_while_another_unidentified_man_watches_%2813561458823%29.jpg

Bob Dee with Boston Mayor John Collins and another politician

Dee established himself as one of the most physical and punishing defensive linemen in the league, racking up 33 sacks in his eight years in the league. Dee’s play earned him five AFL All-Star nominations to go along with four Second-team All-AFL honors.

One of Dee’s more memorable games came in the 1963 Eastern Divisional Playoff Game against the rival Bills. Dee recorded two interceptions in that game, and famously played one sneaker and one shoe with spikes, supposedly to help his grip in the snow. The method might have been unconventional, but the result worked. The Patriots won, 26-8, in large part thanks to his efforts.

oldpatriots_52-6358509-2453.jpg

Aug. 13, 1967: Tom Addison, Bob Dee, and Larry Eisenhauer didn't look happy with a 33-3 preseason loss to the Baltimore Colts as the regulars waited for the game to end. It was the first-ever game between the Boston Patriots and an NFL team.

Thanks for this journey back in Patriots history. I got to be coached by Bob Dee back in 1969 when he worked for the Quincy Giants. He was z good coach and a better man

More May 18 Birthdays

Not nearly as notable as Bob Dee, but two other Patriots share May 18 birth dates:

Happy 56th birthday to Gregg Rakoczy
Born May 18, 1965 in Camden, New Jersey
Patriot center, 1991-1992; uniform #71
Signed as a veteran free agent on August 28, 1991

The sharpest snapshot of Gregg Rakoczy's playing days at the University of Miami — the one his children literally freeze-framed on the TV screen — comes midway through the ESPN 30-for-30 documentary The U.​

There's Rakoczy on the sideline, flashing the No. 1 sign with his index finger, his smile revealing both his pride in the Hurricanes' swaggering success as well as the absence of a front tooth.​

"My kids loved that," Rakoczy said.​

While Rakoczy was at the University of Miami the Hurricanes went 40-9, full of swagger and trash talk. That stint included the epic national championship victory over Nebraska.

Miami won four national titles between 1983 and 1991. Beyond that, the Hurricanes changed the atmosphere around the sport, bringing a brash exuberance — as well as an electrifying playing style — to the game and becoming a symbol of the emergence of an urban, hip-hop culture that soon would land center square in American society.​

Rakoczy found himself right at home in Coral Gables, winning a national championship as a freshman — when Miami beat a Nebraska team that featured fellow former South Jersey stars Mike Rozier and Irving Fryar in an epic 1984 Orange Bowl — and serving as a cornerstone of the program after Jimmy Johnson replaced Howard Schnellenberger and brazenly took the team's Bad Boy image to another level.​

"We had that swagger," Rakoczy said of his days in Miami. "We just didn't think we could lose. That was our attitude.​

"But what we did was work so hard. We worked so hard in practice and so hard in meetings and in the film room. We lived, ate and slept football."​

Rakoczy helped recruit Pennsauken stars Greg Mark and Jason Hicks to Miami. And Rakoczy had pitched practice battles with a future Eagles star defensive tackle, the late great Jerome Brown.​

"Practicing against that guy is the reason I was able to play in the NFL," Rakoczy said of the irrepressible Brown.​

The former Miami Hurricane was selected by the Browns with the 32nd overall pick of the 1987 draft. Rakoczy started at center and right guard for four seasons with Cleveland before arriving in Foxborough. As a rookie he was on the losing side of "The Fumble" loss to Denver in the AFCCG.

Over two years Rakoczy appeared in 21 games with four starts for the Patriots, finishing his NFL career with 81 games played over six seasons.

grakoczy_header.gif

Today Gregg lives in Florida... He has worked for AT&T for the last 14 years and serves as a Lead Product Manager for on-line ordering of Managed Business Services.​

Gregg has been actively involved youth sports in his area. He has been a board member and baseball manager for his sons' Little League team. He is also a Pop Warner Head Football Coach for the New Tampa Sharks Mitey Mites.​

AT&T Graphic

Lead Product Manager SD WAN eOrdering​

AT&T

Apr 1995 - Present 26 years 2 months
Boca Raton, FL
Create, Build and Support on-line eOrdering tools for Global AT&T Business Customers

Thanks for this journey back in Patriots history. I got to be coached by Bob Dee back in 1969 when he worked for the Quincy Giants. He was z good coach and a better man
I was wondering if the two of you ever crossed paths, knowing you were in the area about the same time.

I was still in elementary school at the time so I don't have any specific memories - just that he was always a nice guy, friendly, would make time to say a few words to everyone individually.

More May 18 Birthdays

May 18, 2016: Kevin Faulk is elected into the Patriots Hall of Fame

May 18, 2010: Pats waive Shawn Springs

May 18, 2005: Otis Smith retires

Happy 48th birthday to Walter Scott
Born May 18, 1973 in Augusta, Georgia
Patriot DE, 1996; uniform #94
Acquired in a trade with Green bay on August 25, 1996

Walter Scott was signed by the Packers out of East Carolina after going undrafted in 1996. Scott was acquired by the Patriots in late August '96 as part of the completion of a previous trade with Green Bay. He played in just two games: October 6 at Baltimore and October 20 at Indianapolis.

Injuries to defensive backs resulted in Bill Parcells releasing Scott, in order to provide roster space replenish the secondary. The Packers then re-signed him to their practice squad, which meant in an odd twist that Scott was going to be part of a Super Bowl winning team regardless of the outcome of SB 31. He later signed with Miami before a final cut to end his career in February of 2000.

Others pro football players born on this date with New England area ties:

Ray White, 72 (5/18/1949)
Weymouth MA
MLB was a 5th round pick out of Syracuse and played for the Chargers and Cardinals from '71-76. What are the odds of guys from Braintree and Weymouth being born on the same day that were both pro football players? According to Pro Football Reference Braintree High School has produced one (Bob Dee), and the two Weymouth high schools a total of four.

Sandy Osiecki, 61 (5/18/1960)
Ansonia CT
QB got in to four games for the Chiefs in '84, and also played in NFL Europe.

Franny Garvey (5/18/1901)
Born in Worcester, died in Chelsea and went to Holy Cross.
Left End for the Providence Steamrollers, 1925-1926.

Carroll Hardy, (5/18/1933-8/9/2020)
HB was a third round pick by the Niners in '55, but that was his only year in the NFL. Hardy chose baseball over football, bouncing between the minors and the big leagues through 1967. He played for the Red Sox from 1960-62, and is most well known for being the trivia answer to 'who is the only player to ever pinch hit for Ted Williams'?

Hardy later went back to football, working for twenty years with the Broncos. He was the player personnel director for Denver during the 'Orange Crush Defense' days in the late 70s when the Broncos transformed from a doormat to one of the best teams in the league.

HardyCarroll-FB.jpg

His long career in professional sports, as a player and executive,” wrote Jerry Crowe in the Los Angeles Times, “had a sort of Forrest Gump quality to it.” His career connected with Y. A. Tittle, Joe Perry, Hugh McIlhenny, and John Elway of football, and Ted Williams, Roger Maris, and Carl Yastrzemski of baseball.​
. . . . .​
By February 1956, the Plain Dealer reported that Hardy thought he had enough of a chance to make the Indians that he was considering giving up football. He was assigned to Triple A, to the Indianapolis Indians. Playing football had been tough, and that may well have been a factor in his decision-making. “Football is fun,” he told sportswriter Harry Jones. “Pretty rough, though.” Jones then explained that Hardy had had his front teeth knocked out in a game against the Baltimore Colts, suffered torn rib cartilage in an exhibition game against the Cleveland Browns, and was knocked unconscious not once, but twice, by the Chicago Bears. For his part, Hardy said, “I like pro football, but if I do as well in baseball this year as I hope to, I’ll give up football. It’s not for financial reason either. I suppose I could make as much money playing eight years of pro football, but you never know when you’ll get hurt and have your career finished. Anyhow, I think I can do better in baseball.”​

I was wondering if the two of you ever crossed paths, knowing you were in the area about the same time.

I was still in elementary school at the time so I don't have any specific memories - just that he was always a nice guy, friendly, would make time to say a few words to everyone individually.
For a kid who was just entering my teem years when the Pats were formed, Dee was a local legend. In fact the HC was a former Pats DB of that era by the name of Ross O'Hanley. w\ho died just a few years later from a brain tumor. Crazy the things you remember. There was also another coach on that team that I can't seen to member who took me under his wing and turned at 210lb nose tackle from Tufts into a 4-3 OLB in the course of about 15 practices,.

And behold, just to prove not ALL the brain cells are dead, the name came to me. Butch Mahoney was his name and he coached the secondary IIRC. Didn't think there would be a chance in hell that I would come up with that name. Must be the coconut oil supplements. ;)

Bob Dee

Happy birthday to Bob Dee, who would have been 88 today
Born May 18, 1933 in Quincy
Patriot Left Defensive End, 1960-1967; uniform #89
Signed with the Boston Patriots early in 1960
Died April 18, 1979 at the age of 45

bob%20dee.jpg

Why am I a lifelong hardcore fan of the Patriots? Part of that probably has something to do with growing up two blocks from Bob Dee, who would regularly come speak at our Little League banquets and Cub Scout meetings. The three sport letterman from Holy Cross spent a few years with Washington before retiring, so he could return to his alma mater to coach linemen. That was short lived, as he joined the Pats in the American Football League's inaugural season. Dee is credited with scoring the first touchdown in AFL history, a fumble recovered in the end zone against the Bills in the league's first preseason game. He is the only Patriot to ever wear #89 and to the best of my knowledge is the only pro football player from Braintree to appear in a regular season game.

600x370_bob_dee.jpg

A true ironman, Dee started every single game for eight straight seasons and was a five-time AFL All-Star. He retired from pro football due to a business opportunity to run an environmental services company. Jet Line Services Inc. was one of the region's first hazardous waste cleanup firms. One of his employees was a neighbor who had just graduated from high school whom he mentored, Alan McKim. He later started Clean Harbors, which is now the largest waste remediation firm in North America.

6b3963286dd67221c675c452430d6474--dee-patriots.jpg

Bob Dee is a member of the Pats All-Decade team for the 1960s and a member of the American Football League Hall of Fame. In 1993 he became the fourth player enshrined to the Patriots Hall of Fame. The helmet he wore for 105 of those 112 consecutive games played is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

scan0001+%25281024x808%2529.jpg

Not the largest player at his position at 6’4” and 250 lbs., Dee stressed a finesse game, preferring to overcome blockers with moves rather than through brute force. From his defensive line position, Bob Dee became one of the stalwarts around which the Patriots built a punishing defense. By 1963, Dee and his defensive mates were a feared squad that forced their opposition to throw the ball because of their solid run defense.

741px-Bob_Dee_of_the_Boston_Patriots_hands_Mayor_John_F._Collins_an_autographed_football_while_another_unidentified_man_watches_%2813561458823%29.jpg

Bob Dee with Boston Mayor John Collins and another politician

Dee established himself as one of the most physical and punishing defensive linemen in the league, racking up 33 sacks in his eight years in the league. Dee’s play earned him five AFL All-Star nominations to go along with four Second-team All-AFL honors.

One of Dee’s more memorable games came in the 1963 Eastern Divisional Playoff Game against the rival Bills. Dee recorded two interceptions in that game, and famously played one sneaker and one shoe with spikes, supposedly to help his grip in the snow. The method might have been unconventional, but the result worked. The Patriots won, 26-8, in large part thanks to his efforts.

oldpatriots_52-6358509-2453.jpg

Aug. 13, 1967: Tom Addison, Bob Dee, and Larry Eisenhauer didn't look happy with a 33-3 preseason loss to the Baltimore Colts as the regulars waited for the game to end. It was the first-ever game between the Boston Patriots and an NFL team.

This is one of the most Awesome posts - including PFK's addendum - that I have Ever read here! Good for you guys to have been so close to one of the men who helped legitimize this franchise and make it what it is today, and a local dude to boot...

Damn shame he died so suddenly and so young...He would've been only 67 when his Patriots won their first league championship too...

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back