Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Matthew Slater a lock to make the 2014 roster?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Near lock: most likely, but not quite 100%

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Probably: more than 50%, but not a lock

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Unlikely: less than 50% chance of making the roster

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said he was?

I suppose you could look up total team salary expenditures for Izzo's top year and divide it by his salary, then do the same for Slater, if you're looking for something to do.
I was just pointing it out because the consensus in this thread is that Slater is inexpensive, which I disagree with.

FWIW - Slater's 2014 cap hit is only 2 more dollars than his 2013 cap hit while the Patriots adjusted cap number increased by over 9.45 million. So in 2014 Slater is taking up a smaller percentage of the Patriots adjusted cap than he did in 2014.

The only thing I disagree with is the “low cost player” assertion. Slater is on the books for $2.26M this season that is a substantial amount of money for a special teams player.

That fact aside, I would be surprised if he were cut, he offers a lot in the locker room as well as his play.

BB simply addressing oh so trendy "income inequality" in ST positions
Slater's worth every penny

Slater is likely to be valued among the top half of our players by Belichick. In any case, I expect that our ST captain and leader will be here this year and will likely be extended next year. As DaBruinz indicated, perhaps when Slater is 33, the team might consider other options with regard to the position.

I don't understand the idea of cutting 29 year old captains, but then, that is my personal bias.

Slater is likely to be valued among the top half of our players by Belichick. In any case, I expect that our ST captain and leader will be here this year and will likely be extended next year. As DaBruinz indicated, perhaps when Slater is 33, the team might consider other options with regard to the position.

I don't understand the idea of cutting 29 year old captains, but then, that is my personal bias.
I do not think anyone wants to cut Slater but resigning him for 3-4 more years after this season is not the sure thing many feel it is in my opinion. He will be in his 30s in 2015 and beyond, as a gunner who relies heavily on speed to do his job, I would have concerns about him slowing with age and becoming less effective. The margin for Slater is very small, the slightest diminishment in ability could easily be the difference between what he is now and being out of the NFL.

BB simply addressing oh so trendy "income inequality" in ST positions
Slater's worth every penny
I am on the fence with Slater’s value personally, I actually am a Slater fan, I like his play, and more importantly, his leadership so for those reasons I say pay the man. On the flipside, I look at players like Marcus Easley who made $490K, and Justin Bethel who made $390K, to perform the same duties as Slater and were actually more productive in 2013.

I am all for keeping Slater this season, he is signed, the deal is reasonable and we are well under the cap. As far as resigning him for another 3-4 years for $1.6M+ a year, I am not sure I would have to see how he plays this season.

FWIW - Slater's 2014 cap hit is only 2 more dollars than his 2013 cap hit while the Patriots adjusted cap number increased by over 9.45 million. So in 2014 Slater is taking up a smaller percentage of the Patriots adjusted cap than he did in 2014.

To be fair, it remains to be seen if he'll earn that $2 raise.

I do not think anyone wants to cut Slater but resigning him for 3-4 more years after this season is not the sure thing many feel it is in my opinion. He will be in his 30s in 2015 and beyond, as a gunner who relies heavily on speed to do his job, I would have concerns about him slowing with age and becoming less effective. The margin for Slater is very small, the slightest diminishment in ability could easily be the difference between what he is now and being out of the NFL.
I understand your belief that everyone who hits 30 is on their last legs. I just disagree. Slater (as was the case with many STers before him) is likely to perform at a high level for many more years. I do agree that compensation is an issue, but that is always the case with any new contract.

Did you really count Aaron Hernandez? Wow!
Yes. Because he still counts 7.5 million against the Cap whether you like it or not. Regardless, you were still wrong.

He is the highest cap hit of any core four special teams player in the NFL that does not contribute on an offensive or defensive unit. If that is not considered expensive than there is not an expensive special teams only player in the NFL.

Umm.. Gostkowski has a higher cap hit than Slater. In fact, there are 8 kickers who have a higher Cap hit than Slater. There are also 10 Punters who have a higher cap hit than Slater.

For you to say that Slater "is the highest cap hit of any core four special teams player in the NFL that does not contribute on an offensive or defensive unit" without actually providing a list of players that it would include SCREAMS of you trying to narrow the field down so you look like you know what you are talking about. So, let's see the list. Show us all the players who are "core four special teams players in the NFL that do not contribute on an offensive or defensive unit" so we can see if what you say is true.
Izzo was never paid more than $820K in any season with the Patriots.
As for what Larry Izzo received as compensation, you seem to have overlooked the fact that the salary cap was significantly less during Izzo's tenure than it has been while Slater has been here.

The Salary Cap for 2001 was $67.405M. The Pats Cap for that year was only $66.905M. The rookie minimum was $209K. The Vet Minimum was for someone with 4 seasons was $448K.

The Salary Cap for 2008 was $116.769M. The Pats adjusted cap was $118,266,993. The rookie minimum was $295K. The Vet Minimum for someone with 4 seasons was $605K.

The Salary cap for 2014 is $132M. The Pats adjusted cap is $139,109,051. The rookie minimum is $420K. The Vet minimum for someone with 4 seasons is now $730K.

Just the inflation of the salary cap says that Slater was going to be making more than Izzo. So, what point are you really offering by stating what Izzo's top salary was with the Pats?

As I showed earlier, Slater actually does more than Izzo did. Slater's on more special teams units (there are 6 in total, not 4 like you stated, btw).

Hopefully next year his cap hit is gone due to being charged with the double murder 2 years ago.
Hernandez will not count against the Patriots Cap going forward unless, for some reason, they have to pay him money. However, I thought they already won a victory in that respect, but I can't remember..

Hernandez will not count against the Patriots Cap going forward unless, for some reason, they have to pay him money. However, I thought they already won a victory in that respect, but I can't remember..

I don't believe that's been resolved. There was an article recently quoting the Patriots lawyer saying they owe him nothing and, of course, he's not unbiased.

I am on the fence with Slater’s value personally, I actually am a Slater fan, I like his play, and more importantly, his leadership so for those reasons I say pay the man. On the flipside, I look at players like Marcus Easley who made $490K, and Justin Bethel who made $390K, to perform the same duties as Slater and were actually more productive in 2013.

I am all for keeping Slater this season, he is signed, the deal is reasonable and we are well under the cap. As far as resigning him for another 3-4 years for $1.6M+ a year, I am not sure I would have to see how he plays this season.

I don't think you'll be happy until the Patriots are at the cap floor and everyone on the team is making the minimum. You have to pay veterans who perform, or else those veterans go elsewhere and you end up with a crappy roster.

I don't think you'll be happy until the Patriots are at the cap floor and everyone on the team is making the minimum. You have to pay veterans who perform, or else those veterans go elsewhere and you end up with a crappy roster.
I disagree. I question paying Slater for future years because of his age. Slater is a gunner who relies on his speed to perform at a high level, as he enters his 30s it is likely his speed and athletic talents will diminish.

There are only two contracts that I am not fond of Danny Amendola and Kyle Arringtons. Outside of those I have no issue with anyone's salary.

I'll make another thread on this.

There are only two contracts that I am not fond of Danny Amendola and Kyle Arringtons. Outside of those I have no issue with anyone's salary.

I brought up the issue of Slater's spot on the roster in an early thread. I've read all the comments in this one too. What I fail to see in this discussion is the original point I made earlier. Throe issue really isn't about Slater and his skills as a STer. Its about the diminished importance of ST's in general which has be brouyght about by the combination of and iyncreased skill level of the kickers, and rules changes by the league.

There is no question that Slater is very good at what he does in coverage. But with the significant decrease in the number of KO and punt returns in the league, the real issue is how much do you want to pay for any player who is likely to only get 2-4 opportunities per game to actually make a play. THAT's the real factor here. If this were 2004 instead of 2014 and you could expect your coverage guys to have 10-12 opportunities to make plays, it would be a no brainer. Slater would be a 100% lock.

However in an NFL where Touchbacks on KO's are nearing an 80% number and punt returns are averaging just 2 a game, how much do we need to pay your best STer?

Yes. Because he still counts 7.5 million against the Cap whether you like it or not. Regardless, you were still wrong.
Actually, it is dead money it is not part of the top 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST