Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Matthew Slater a lock to make the 2014 roster?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • Near lock: most likely, but not quite 100%

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Probably: more than 50%, but not a lock

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Unlikely: less than 50% chance of making the roster

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The consistent downplaying of ST's really gets to me at times. It is a huge part of the game in today's NFL where field position is at such a premium and having someone capable of blowing up a return early is incredibly valuable. He's a team captain, he's one of the highest character guys team - and he's absolutely superb at what he does. If he's not a lock, then outside of Brady, Gronk, Revis and a couple of others, I'm not sure who is.
In 2013, the Patriots were 3rd in touchback percentage with a 66.67% rate. Gostkowski kicked off 99 times and only 34 of them were returned. As far as punting goes, Ryan Allen punted 76 times in 2013 and only 29 of those were returned. Total there were 63 returns by an opponent. As for blocking for the kick returner on kickoffs, we were 12th in the NFL with a 24.0 return average, but we only returned 39 kicks tied with 4 other teams for 17th in the NFL.

These factors are important to keep in mind when considering a special team’s coverage player value, as the NFL attempts to make the game safer they are trying to eliminate special team’s returns.

I wonder if they feel that he's too good of a gunner to risk him on kickoff returns or if they just don't think he's that good at it. When he first got here he returned far more kicks than he does now.
...and he just wasn't that good at it.

I think it's silly to say a lot of players are locks at this point in the preseason, but i don't see another all pro special teams captain around.

So, I'll go with that Brady guy as a lock and Slater in the next tier.

Slater's the best gunner in the league. He's probably one of the best to ever play the game. He's still in his prime, is respected as a leader, and costs virtually nothing. He won't be cut.

The only thing that disappoints me about Slater is that he's incredibly fast and beats jams on punts better than anyone in the league, but he's never been able to translate that to success as a wide receiver, even situationally, even though it's one of the most difficult skills for wide receivers to learn when transitioning to the pros.

Slater's problem is reading where the ball is going, why he can't play safety, and as a WR he flails his arms attacking the ball with karate chops instead of grabbing it. Too bad because his outstanding skills at beating double press coverage as a gunner could have translated into a great deep receiving threat.

Slater's problem is reading where the ball is going, why he can't play safety, and as a WR he flails his arms attacking the ball with karate chops instead of grabbing it. Too bad because his outstanding skills at beating double press coverage as a gunner could have translated into a great deep receiving threat.
Yet another example to those who would project production based on combine numbers.

Total there were 63 returns by an opponent. As for blocking for the kick returner on kickoffs, we were 12th in the NFL with a 24.0 return average, but we only returned 39 kicks tied with 4 other teams for 17th in the NFL.

These factors are important to keep in mind when considering a special team’s coverage player value, as the NFL attempts to make the game safer they are trying to eliminate special team’s returns.

But...isn't a low return rate a sign of excellent coverage, pointing to Slater's value? I believe that a minority of those non-returns were OOB or to the back of the end zone.

More generally, you need a special teams captain who focuses on special teams. Think of BB's recent comments about how the long snapper has to be taking his reps with the punter and kicker, not off practicing with the offense or defense. Similarly, the ST leader works closely with the ST coaches and is their voice on the field, aligning players for various scenarios and, in Slater's case, at least, advising returners whether or not to attempt a return. It's a real job that has to be done. Not saying he can never practice with ) or D -- Slater obviously does -- but he has to be available to put ST first.

Cutting Slater would reduce the salary associated with that job (at the expense of performance), but I don't believe it would free up a roster spot.

Agree except Gost typically kicks it OOB deep

The only thing I disagree with is the “low cost player” assertion. Slater is on the books for $2.26M this season that is a substantial amount of money for a special teams player.

That fact aside, I would be surprised if he were cut, he offers a lot in the locker room as well as his play.
2.26 million for a team captain, pro bowl, team first kind of guy, that will do whatever BB tells him? sounds like a bargain to me.

2 locks on this team ...

Bill and Ernie Adams ...

We kept Izzo for 8 seasons after he'd played 4 at Miami.

And then Izzo went over to the Jets as a spy for BB!

I will be very surprised if he is cut as well but he is not inexpensive this season. He has the 14th highest cap hit on the Patriots.
Actually, according to Miguel's page, he's got the 18th highest cap hit. And at $2.26 million, that IS inexpensive.

Those ahead of Slater:
Brady, Mankins, Hernandez, Mayo, Revis, Wilfork, Gronkowski, McCourty, Amendola, Connolly, Gostkowski, Vollmer, Arrington, Browner, Ninkovich, Edelman, Solder.

Actually, according to Miguel's page, he's got the 18th highest cap hit. And at $2.26 million, that IS inexpensive.

Those ahead of Slater:
Brady, Mankins, Hernandez, Mayo, Revis, Wilfork, Gronkowski, McCourty, Amendola, Connolly, Gostkowski, Vollmer, Arrington, Browner, Ninkovich, Edelman, Solder.
Did you really count Aaron Hernandez? Wow!

2.26 million for a team captain, pro bowl, team first kind of guy, that will do whatever BB tells him? sounds like a bargain to me.
He is the highest cap hit of any core four special teams player in the NFL that does not contribute on an offensive or defensive unit. If that is not considered expensive than there is not an expensive special teams only player in the NFL.

But...isn't a low return rate a sign of excellent coverage, pointing to Slater's value? I believe that a minority of those non-returns were OOB or to the back of the end zone.

More generally, you need a special teams captain who focuses on special teams. Think of BB's recent comments about how the long snapper has to be taking his reps with the punter and kicker, not off practicing with the offense or defense. Similarly, the ST leader works closely with the ST coaches and is their voice on the field, aligning players for various scenarios and, in Slater's case, at least, advising returners whether or not to attempt a return. It's a real job that has to be done. Not saying he can never practice with ) or D -- Slater obviously does -- but he has to be available to put ST first.

Cutting Slater would reduce the salary associated with that job (at the expense of performance), but I don't believe it would free up a roster spot.
I am not advocating to cut Slater, I am just disagreeing with notion that he is cheap. Last season he played in only 12 games during the regular season.

Izzo was never paid more than $820K in any season with the Patriots.

Who said he was?

I suppose you could look up total team salary expenditures for Izzo's top year and divide it by his salary, then do the same for Slater, if you're looking for something to do.

Did you really count Aaron Hernandez? Wow!
Hopefully next year his cap hit is gone due to being charged with the double murder 2 years ago.

I am not advocating to cut Slater, I am just disagreeing with notion that he is cheap. Last season he played in only 12 games during the regular season.

Right, I didn't mean my whole post as a response to you, just the part about return rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST