PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney talks about 'issues'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally accept that answer... but Pioli shot in the wrong direction getting a RB (Jordan) that hasn't been too healthy himself. I don't hate the signing because of Jordan's upside.

Look no further than LT this year. It's extremely hard to keep ANY RB healthy for any long period of time, especially if he gets the bulk of the carries. BB knows the beating an NFL RB takes and it seems he likes to split the carries between backs to balance the load. Morris and Maroney have had their share of injuries, Jordan was a very low risk high reward signing. Not the wrong direction at all IMO.

So does everyone agree that Maroney is healthy?

Does everyone accept that he didn't know he was being yelled at on the sideline?

Don't get me wrong, I like having depth in the backfield. I hope Maroney, true to his word, likes being part of the "running back by committee".

I guess I am having problems with the logic of signing an oft-injuried player to back up other oft-injuried players. In that case, the depth is only on paper.

So you are telling me that Bill and Scott knew this going into the season last year when they signed Morris to join Maroney, Faulk, and Eckel. And after last season, they knew going into this season that they needed LaMont Jordan to join Morris, Faulk and Maroney.

I'll be one of the first to agree that Bill likes competition on the roster, but at what point do we interpret this as Bill placing Maroney in the dog house? At which point do we get to talk about Maroney holding back on the field?

In any case, I hope his shoulder gets better and isn't the bust I am beginning to think he could be... and not because of his lack of talent.

I tried to make this point a couple of days ago.

I got a BIG FAIL. :D

iam wondering if the pats can be using him better in the passing game .

I'm over this kid and this interview seals the deal.

I don't know if he needs to check his ego at the door or retire so he can protect his body.

The Pats didn't sign Morris and Jordan because they want Maroney to fail. And if Maroney was insulted by the signings, than he clearly needs to go. Fact of the matter is, he isn't producing. No one can really say why he isn't producing and he said he wouldn't admit it if we guessed correctly.

All I know is he runs to the line of scrimmage and dances around looking for a hole. His ol' teammate Barber nails the hole and I wish he would take that mindset.

The whole interview sounds like a whiny little baby. Dump him. Let him figure out his "issues" and replace him with someone that wants to play football!

I just wasted 1 minute of my life.

I tried to make this point a couple of days ago.

I got a BIG FAIL. :D

Maybe that's because some of us remember his performances against Jacksonville and SD last January, really only 6 games ago, when he basically carried this team to a superbowl in which they essentially chose not to use him because they assumed they could pass their way to a Lombardi...

I just re-watched the AFCC game, you should have.

So what is this "issue" he isn't telling us about? If it's another injury not related to the shoulder... oh boy here we go again. If the issue is that he's just not 'getting it' that's not much better either. Whatever the "issue" is, get it fixed son! Stepping out of bounds instead of going for the first down is going to look bad. Just hope I don't see that kind of play happening again because I will be pissed and I don't think I'm the only one.

guess I gotta tow the company line here...

"Maroney is great!"

guess only one opinion is allowed in here and other Pat fans have to sit on their hands.

The guy is running like he has a shoulder injury. And there clear as day on the injury report it says he has a shoulder injury.

I know this place loves a good conspiracy theory but this is yet another case where the simple answer is the answer.

So does everyone agree that Maroney is healthy?

I think it's clear he's not totally healthy.

Does everyone accept that he didn't know he was being yelled at on the sideline?

Actually, I find Maroney's answer quite believable. It wouldn't surprise me at all that an incident that sticks out in fans heads because the TV camera was turned that way was just another somewhat forgettable coach interaction to the running back that has them all the time. To the surprise of some here, it's actually the norm for coaches to yell at their players; so much so that it doesn't stand out as anything particularly worth remembering.

Don't get me wrong, I like having depth in the backfield. I hope Maroney, true to his word, likes being part of the "running back by committee".

I guess I am having problems with the logic of signing an oft-injuried player to back up other oft-injuried players. In that case, the depth is only on paper.

What, you'd rather have a healthy player who doesn't perform? No, you sign who's available who can actually do the job. I've been very pleasantly surprised by their running back signings when they are actually on the field. No complaints here.

I totally accept that answer... but Pioli shot in the wrong direction getting a RB (Jordan) that hasn't been too healthy himself. I don't hate the signing because of Jordan's upside.

A legit point but the 'made of glass' problem was a factor in why Jordan was available in the 1st place. If you have 2 RBs each with a .5 probability of playing adding another with a .5 probability increases the probability that at least one is available.

And then there is also the upside you mention. We have yet to see Jordan catch passes, something he's talented at. Now that I think of it again, we don't throw to Maroney much either.

guess I gotta tow the company line here...

"Maroney is great!"

guess only one opinion is allowed in here and other Pat fans have to sit on their hands.

If that's the company line, then someone forgot to tell the rest of the posters in this thread because that's not what most people have been writing.

It's not a black or white world out there. I think everyone was hoping - and most were expecting - more from Maroney this year. Maroney did look good at the end of last year. What changed? I think this interview gives us a clue. And no, I'm not suggesting that what changed was

- he's upset because there are other running backs on the roster
- he's become intimidated by defenses in the NFL
- he's become more mentally confused trying to understand the playbook and read defenses

In a word, what has changed has been a shoulder injury that has significant repercussions in what he does when he runs. That doesn't mean that he was a great runner before the injury; it just means that he looks even more tentative now. Take it for what it's worth.

This, I think, is the company line that most people are adhering to. I know, it's a more balanced perspective than "He's fantastic!" or "He's a bust!". But, it is what it is. You can feel free to disagree. :)

I think he's dealing with a psychological problem in that he's afraid of being injured severely. That's a pretty sensible explanation. Running with an injury and the spectre of career ending or season ending looming, he might be struggling to keep perspective. That's a battle that he can win, but it will take some time and is worth it for the team to work through WITH him.

As for the yelling, ever tried to have a discussion at a rock concert? That should explain some of the yelling that goes on.

Anyway, just my perception of things.

Wow, hope it's not some other "issue" besides the shoulder. Mysterious.

Clearly he's hobbled by sand in his vagina.

Clearly he's hobbled by sand in his vagina.
This is the kind of post that cracks me up. Some living room warrior disrepecting an NFL Player. Every single NFL player is 100 times tougher than you or me. Maroney? 1000 times. Dude is playing with at least one injury. With speed and size of today's NFL players it's gotta hurt and, probably cause long term damage to his body. I don't blame the guy one bit for being evasive about his injuries or for not surging for the first down. Guess BB doesn't either or he wouldn't have Maroney in there.

This is the kind of post that cracks me up. Some living room warrior disrepecting an NFL Player. Every single NFL player is 100 times tougher than you or me. Maroney? 1000 times. Dude is playing with at least one injury. With speed and size of today's NFL players it's gotta hurt and, probably cause long term damage to his body. I don't blame the guy one bit for being evasive about his injuries or for not surging for the first down. Guess BB doesn't either or he wouldn't have Maroney in there.

I agree. I got run over 'accidently' by an NFL OT once. I don't recommend a steady diet of it. Imagine what it woulda been like with malice aforethought. I'm in Troy's camp on this one.

FYI: None of your sound logic will pass thru the sand in some of the heads of the Maroney bashers. :cool: :D

I was a big Maroney supporter until last year but have started losing my confidence since the Jets game when the other RBs showed us what they can do against the same Jets secondary that Maroney wasn't able to do much in the previous down.

Maybe he is battling injuries or afraid of some major damage. Who knows? Given BB's rules on what they can disclose and not disclose, I am not surprised to read Maroney's evasive replies.

I trust BB is aware of - and convinced - with Maroney's contributions. As long as Maroney wears the Pats uniform, I will fully support him irrespective of the fact that my expectations of his contributions have come down.

Go PATS!!

FYI: None of your sound logic will pass thru the sand in some of the heads of the Maroney bashers. :cool: :D

I was a big Maroney supporter until last year but have started losing my confidence since the Jets game when the other RBs showed us what they can do against the same Jets secondary that Maroney wasn't able to do much in the previous down.

Maybe he is battling injuries or afraid of some major damage. Who knows? Given BB's rules on what they can disclose and not disclose, I am not surprised to read Maroney's evasive replies.

I trust BB is aware of - and convinced - with Maroney's contributions. As long as Maroney wears the Pats uniform, I will fully support him irrespective of the fact that my expectations of his contributions have come down.

Go PATS!!
I haven't seen much of him this year but I'll never forget how hard he ran against the Chargers in the AFCCG. Maroney, and the Patriots, proved they were more than a passing team in that game, running out the last 9 minutes of the clock with mostly runs (and one crucial incredible play by Faulk and Brady).

No he has no shoulder problem at all, BB is just absolutely lying on the injury reports.

I think it's clear he's not totally healthy.

He is hurt.. he isn't hurt... I don't care. I would love to see the Maroney that runs over corners and bursts out with a 40 yard TD run.

Guess this is where I come to appreciate Cory Dillon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents