PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney - A Team Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
His style hasn't changed. It's the exact same as it ever was. I watched him numerous times his senior year in college and this is exactly how he ran. It's the same as he ran in 2006, 2007 and the start of 2008 before his shoulder injury.

What people called "dancing" wasn't dancing at all. It was Maroney looking for the holes the O-line was supposed to have opened. BB even mentioned this when he called out the O-line this year.

I'm not the only one who has said this. MANY others have said it. The haters just don't want to accept it because it would mean that they'd have to admit they were wrong.

So you're blaming Maroneys struggles early this year and previous years on the OL?

They are blocking for the other RBs and they didnt seem to have a problem hitting the hole hard and getting past the line of scrimmage.

I have actually always had Maroneys back and havent been a Maroney hater.

Leader in being made of glass *LOLZ*

I agree with DaBruinz (for once) that Maroney's style has always been the same. The only difference is that the run blocking is getting somewhat better. Also, the Pats weren't giving him enough touches to be successful. It's way too difficult for any RB to get less than 10 touches a game and be successful. If the Pats make a commitment to running the football, Maroney will succeed. If they abandon the run, Maroney will be viewed as a bust.

Last edited:
I see a difference with LM. I felt his dancing was due to him not making a decision on his cut. He has started to make a decision and go with it, even if he ends up running into the backs of the OL. But it has also given him the opportunity to hit small and large openings.

In the past, it seemed as if he didn't know what to do if there wasn't a large hole. It's as if he now knows what move to make if he doesn't see an opening. He is much more decisive.

Maybe we'll read about it in the Holley book, "Inside Ivan Fears."

Last edited:
They got a new offensive line?

Looks to me he's hitting the hole quicker and harder. He's still adjusting and waiting for the play to develop, but he's doing it after he crosses the line of scrimmage, not before.

I had my eyes checked recently, they work. I know what i see.

It's the same Maroney that was around before the shoulder injury, and the line has been wildly inconsistent with the run blocking all season long.

Same player. Just not somebody who teams are going to game plan around. Regardless, he's somebody that can help move the chains when you need him to.

LoMo has ALWAYS run nasty -- on KO returns or handoffs. He likes hitting people and running over them. As for the dancing ... one man's 'dancing' is another man's 'patience'.

I think he made very good decisions today -- one run where he didn't 'hit the hole' but stopped and changed direction, using his speed to reverse the angle of the run was particularly effective. I put it down to getting a lot of carries, being healthy and being confident.

Nice game!

There wasn't ever that much dancing to begin with. It was a label that naysayers and and the media slapped on him because they couldn't understand why he wasn't more successful.

As some people have said, it was the inconsistency of the O-line more than Maroney. And it was reinforced when BB called the O-line to task earlier in the year.

THANK YOU. THABNK YOU. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, People. Why do so many buy so fully into the opinion of such clueless tools (aka the media in Boston)?

His running style has definitely changed this season. He most certainly was dancing and not hitting the hole hard before week 4 or 5 in this season. Now he is running much harder and hitting the holes much quicker and having much more success.

How to put this...? This'll do: WRONG.

They are blocking for the other RBs and they didnt seem to have a problem hitting the hole hard and getting past the line of scrimmage.

BB addressed this issue, as well. Not sure what you guys were seeing, but I looked at every one of Maroney's 81 carries for a story I wrote for Patriots.com several weeks ago, and it was plain as day that they were indeed blocking WORSE for him than, say, Faulk or Morris.

In Faulk's case, part of that - a huge part - is that he ran the ball WAY more against D's in passing situations and formations. As for Morris, it's possible they blocked better for him b/c they were more confident in his straight-ahead style, which is tangentially Maroney's "fault," I guess, but not really. In my view, he's run hard all year and the run blocking has been erratic all year.

Last edited:
How to put this...? This'll do: WRONG.

How? He is getting past the line of scrimmage much quicker than he used to and lately hasnt had many/if any runs for negative yards. This is because he is hitting the hole harder and not "dancing" behind the line of scrimmage. He is running with more of a purpose now.

How? He is getting past the line of scrimmage much quicker than he used to and lately hasnt had many/if any runs for negative yards. This is because he is hitting the hole harder and not "dancing" behind the line of scrimmage. He is running with more of a purpose now.

IMO, it's b/c there aren't DL in the backfield as he's handed the ball.

BB addressed this issue, as well. Not sure what you guys were seeing, but I looked at every one of Maroney's 81 carries for a story a write for Patriots.com several weeks ago, and it was plain as day that they were indeed blocking WORSE for him than, say, Faulk or Morris.

In Faulk's case, part of that - a huge part - is that he ran the ball WAY more against D's in passing situations and formations. As for Morris, it's possible they blocked better for him b/c they were more confident in his straight-ahead style, which is tangentially Maroney's "fault," I guess, but not really. In my view, he's run hard all year and the run blocking has been erratic all year.

Add this to the list of ridiculous things I have seen posted tonight...

The OL blocks the same for every RB. On most plays they dont even know who is running the ball. They are just focused on doing their job and blocking rather than who they are blocking for. I will say that the majority of the time that Faulk runs the ball it is in passing downs and the opposing defense usually has its pass defense in. Thats the only difference between the RBs. It has nothing to do with the OL blocking better for one than the other

They decided they liked blocking for Taylor and Morris earlier in the year. Maybe Maroney took them out to dinner.

I'm betting they worked on the exchange and blocking in practice some, also. If I were the type I'd compare frame for frame the handoffs and hitting the hole now compared to earlier in the year.

I'm not though. I see what i see, the games are all on TV and they focus on the handoff to the RB every running play. Some people look for explanations other than what they clearly see.

It's amazing what good o-line play does for a RB... it's the difference between being "Patient" and "Dancing". Maroney has been exactly what the Patriots have needed this year, and I hope he continues his progression.

The difference between a "dancing" and a "patient" Maroney has absolutely nothing to do with anything Maroney has done on the field. This difference is all in the minds of mediots and posters.

The stats have shown that whenever Maroney is given the ball a significant number of times in a game, he does well.

Last edited:
I'm betting they worked on the exchange and blocking in practice some, also. If I were the type I'd compare frame for frame the handoffs and hitting the hole now compared to earlier in the year.

I'm not though. I see what i see, the games are all on TV and they focus on the handoff to the RB every running play. Some people look for explanations other than what they clearly see.

im not that type either, but about 3 weeks ago i noticed that the handoff is slower, brady sort of waits a little bit longer before giving the ball to maroney

not sure if thats a legit observation, but it could mean that maroney now gets to the line, and has a hole already, were b4 he was just too fast and got there b4 the hole developed

Maroney ran the ball well today.

I'd like to see them stay with one RB for a longer period of time. Let them get a rhythm out there

Not only is he hitting the hole harder, he's pushing the pile now too and grinding out extra yardage after contact. He used to go down way too easily before. Maroneys running hard now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes