PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney - A Team Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're blaming Maroneys struggles early this year and previous years on the OL?

They are blocking for the other RBs and they didnt seem to have a problem hitting the hole hard and getting past the line of scrimmage.

I have actually always had Maroneys back and havent been a Maroney hater.

Not really. Morris wasn't faring any better than Maroney in the early part of the year. Then Morris got hurt, Belichick took the OL to task publicly (I can only imagine what happened privately), and whatever changes were made worked.

I'm with DaBruinz on this one: Maroney's running exactly the same as he's always run when healthy.

Why do threads about Maroney always have to end up with the "lovers vs. haters" debate? For what its worth, ex players like Phil Simms and even ex teammates like Bruschi have all talked about him "dancing". BB has defended him indirectly by talking about the weaknesses of the OL.

This thread is about his leadership if I'm not mistaken. If he's out there trying to rally the crowd and his teammates on a day when they seemed to lack energy at the beginning of the game, then I totally commend him for having the right attitude and I'm happy that we have guys like him and Wes on this team to get the rest of the guys into the right frame of mind.

LM is not running the same.

He hits the line more decisively than earlier in his career. Nothing surprising or a knock on the guy. NFL players develop. To say that he runs that same as he did in college is to say that Mayo plays linebacker the same as he did in college. He runs through smaller holes than he did earlier in his career.

It's pretty obvious to me that he make choices he didn't before going to the line, even if the runs end up for no gain.

As far as being a leader - it's a natural progression for some NFL players. It will be interesting to watch how this team develops.

Not really. Morris wasn't faring any better than Maroney in the early part of the year. Then Morris got hurt, Belichick took the OL to task publicly (I can only imagine what happened privately), and whatever changes were made worked.

I'm with DaBruinz on this one: Maroney's running exactly the same as he's always run when healthy.

Thirded...

Maroney has had a great year running the ball except for the fumbles. On some of his runs he looks like a carbon copy of his former team mate Marion Barber, shaking tacklers and running through people.

Most people are probably still convinced he sucks though. If he was used more (20 carries a game consistently), people would be surprised at how much better he is running compared to last year

Let's not anoint him until we see him run hard WITHOUT the fumbles.

Kevin Faulk gets critical fumblitis when he is used as a feature back, and as a result we don't see or want to see him in that role, despite his awesomeness otherwise.

If this thread's title is a joke, it's a funny one.

Add this to the list of ridiculous things I have seen posted tonight...

The OL blocks the same for every RB. On most plays they dont even know who is running the ball. They are just focused on doing their job and blocking rather than who they are blocking for. I will say that the majority of the time that Faulk runs the ball it is in passing downs and the opposing defense usually has its pass defense in. Thats the only difference between the RBs. It has nothing to do with the OL blocking better for one than the other

I'll pass this along to Belichick who has said the same thing SPECIFICALLY ON THIS ISSUE. Have you watched the tape? Because some of us have, and the fact is, the majority of Maroney's negative plays have been ABSOLUTELY, and clearly, due to defensive players being in the backfield almost as soon as he's gotten the ball in his hands.

Maroney was very animated all day today. During pre-game warmups ... on the sideline ... on the field. He is running powerfully and with confidence. He has stepped up in all areas of the game and he deserves some credit for it.

He may never be a 100 yard a game guy ... but today he was a major reason they won and it was not just what he did when carrying the ball. Maroney, Welker and Faulk were showing their leadership today. Even in the rough first half they were trying to get their team pumped. I for one was wrong about him - he's learned to run differently and he's learned to help lead his team. Today he was a great team leader.

I have to say, I agree with you! He has been running VERY hard for the last 4 or 5 games. It almost seems like something just clicked, and he finally gets it. He's not stutter stepping, and he's been pounding the hole, and he refuses to go down with the first hit. I am very surprised, but in a good way. I, like you, have to give the man his due.

Let's not anoint him until we see him run hard WITHOUT the fumbles.

Kevin Faulk gets critical fumblitis when he is used as a feature back, and as a result we don't see or want to see him in that role, despite his awesomeness otherwise.

He ran HARD yesterday, without the fumbles. I use to want Morris in there before I wanted Maroney, but now I love seeing LM with the rock. He's running like a man possessed, and kudos to him for that.

im not that type either, but about 3 weeks ago i noticed that the handoff is slower, brady sort of waits a little bit longer before giving the ball to maroney

not sure if thats a legit observation, but it could mean that maroney now gets to the line, and has a hole already, were b4 he was just too fast and got there b4 the hole developed

My thought was that you hit where the hole is supposed to be and go through it as it opens. If you wait for it to open, it's closing as you enter. It's the NFL.

Just a thought, but the line doesn't open a hole and hold it, the defense is designed to plug it. You need to anticipate.

You don't decide before you hit the line, you hit where the play is designed to open a hole. If the defense has it plugged, then you bounce out.

Maroney did plenty of stutter stepping to good effect yesterday, but he did it after negotiating the original seam the defense created.

How is it our line run blocks better without Stephen Neal than with him? Who did BB "talk" into becoming a better run blocker than Neal?

Last edited:
I'll pass this along to Belichick who has said the same thing SPECIFICALLY ON THIS ISSUE. Have you watched the tape? Because some of us have, and the fact is, the majority of Maroney's negative plays have been ABSOLUTELY, and clearly, due to defensive players being in the backfield almost as soon as he's gotten the ball in his hands.

I'd like to see some quotes on this one...

I can see him answering this question like he answers all the other questions, "The OL has to do a better job and the RBs have to do a better job".

He's never going to come out and say the OL is not blocking well for one particular RB. Why did Fred Taylor have success at the beginning of the season before he got hurt? It was the same OL blocking for him too.

Maroney's simply gone back to the way he ran in college, his first year on the team, and the second half of '07, where he was a key contributor to their playoff run.

During his rookie season Maroney had a few long runs, and generally ran the ball with force. In a game against the Bills he ran over two Bill defenders. One was a LB (I can't remember his name, but he was a starter), and the other was Troy Vincent. Maroney ended Vincent's season, and the LB missed some time as well. In a game against Cincy, Maroney stiff armed a defender to the ground on his way into the endzone, and had a number of tough runs. There are more examples from 2006, but I think people get the point.

Toward the end of the 2007 season NE faced the Baltimore Ravens, and while Maroney didn't rack up a lot yards running the ball, his long receptions were among NE's biggest offensive plays, and I don't think they would have won that game without him. He had other big games during the '07 season (103 yards against Buffalo on 19 carries, 104 yards vs the Jets, and 156 yards vs the Dolphins), but it was the 2007 playoffs where he truly shined. In games against the Jags and Chargers who were among the leagues better run defenses, Maroney ran for 122 yards on 22 carries (5.5 avg), and 122 yards on 25 carries (4.9 avg). If you go back over NE's offensive stats in those games, you'll see that Maroney was their biggest performer leading into the SB. NE then abandoned the run in the SB, but that's for another conversation.

In 2008 Laurence got sidelined after only taking part in three games, and he was injured prior to that third game. NE could have used him in '08, but injuries happen, especially at the RB position.

This year Maroney said he was tired of trying to please everyone, and decided to go back to running the ball the way he knows how. Basically, he's gone back to the way he ran in college, and it's noticeable. Versus the Jets Kerry Rhodes took a seat, and while NE lost to the Saints, Maroney ran over one of their defenders, as well. Really, I think they should have run the ball more in that game, but that's just me. We've also seen Maroney carrying defenders and breaking 3-5 tackles while gaining extra yards. So, count me among those who really likes what he's seeing from Maroney this season, but I haven't forgotten the way he ran at the start of his career either.

Best Running since he was a patriot

I think the last couple of weeks we have seen his best running as everyone wants straight ahead.

However, I think he is a feel back who would really do well with 20+ carries a game and then would bust a long one and get his cofidence.

I think he overthinks alot but recently using his blocks and improvising better.

Maroney's simply gone back to the way he ran in college, his first year on the team, and the second half of '07, where he was a key contributor to their playoff run.

During his rookie season Maroney had a few long runs, and generally ran the ball with force. In a game against the Bills he ran over two Bill defenders. One was a LB (I can't remember his name, but he was a starter), and the other was Troy Vincent. Maroney ended Vincent's season, and the LB missed some time as well. In a game against Cincy, Maroney stiff armed a defender to the ground on his way into the endzone, and had a number of tough runs. There are more examples from 2006, but I think people get the point.

Toward the end of the 2007 season NE faced the Baltimore Ravens, and while Maroney didn't rack up a lot yards running the ball, his long receptions were among NE's biggest offensive plays, and I don't think they would have won that game without him. He had other big games during the '07 season (103 yards against Buffalo on 19 carries, 104 yards vs the Jets, and 156 yards vs the Dolphins), but it was the 2007 playoffs where he truly shined. In games against the Jags and Chargers who were among the leagues better run defenses, Maroney ran for 122 yards on 22 carries (5.5 avg), and 122 yards on 25 carries (4.9 avg). If you go back over NE's offensive stats in those games, you'll see that Maroney was their biggest performer leading into the SB. NE then abandoned the run in the SB, but that's for another conversation.

In 2008 Laurence got sidelined after only taking part in three games, and he was injured prior to that third game. NE could have used him in '08, but injuries happen, especially at the RB position.

This year Maroney said he was tired of trying to please everyone, and decided to go back to running the ball the way he knows how. Basically, he's gone back to the way he ran in college, and it's noticeable. Versus the Jets Kerry Rhodes took a seat, and while NE lost to the Saints, Maroney ran over one of their defenders, as well. Really, I think they should have run the ball more in that game, but that's just me. We've also seen Maroney carrying defenders and breaking 3-5 tackles while gaining extra yards. So, count me among those who really likes what he's seeing from Maroney this season, but I haven't forgotten the way he ran at the start of his career either.

I think you could make an argument that there was never anything really "wrong" with Maroney that couldn't be fixed with a little health, confidence and consistent carries.

Maroney was solid his rookie year sharing time with Dillon. He ran for 745 yards on only 12.5 attempts/game and averaged 4.3 YPC. He was dinged up a bit his second year but came on strong at the end of 2007 and in the playoffs, when he was everything you could ask for. He gained 835 yards on only 14.2 attempts/game and averaged 4.3 YPC. Against Jacksonville and San Diego in the playoffs he carried 47 times for 244 yards (122 YPG) averaging 5.2 YPC. There's nothing in those first 2 years to suggest that he was a bust.

Maroney was on IR most of last year after starting the year injured. He tried to play while injured and could run effectively, which probably hurt his confidence. He got unfairly labelled as "made of glass". After we were successful running the ball without him last year, a lot of people also unfairly labelled him a bust.

He came back this year and really didn't get enough work to get back into form after missing a year. He seemed tentative, and clearly was dancing too much. But he never got consistent carries to work himself back into form until Morris and Taylor went down, nor did he have the benefit of playing behind an OL that was opening holes or behind a lead blocker. He never got more than 10 rushing attempts in the first 5 games, and only once got more than 7. That's not enough for a back trying to get back into form. And he got absolutely shredded by the press and many fans (including many on this board), which had to do a number on his confidence.

The biggest thing that's changed is that after averaging 6.4 carries in the first 5 games, Maroney's now averaging 16.75 carries in the past 8 games. Not surprisingly, his YPG has gone from 19.5 (3.1 YPC) to 69.4 YPG (4.15 YPC), which would have put him on passe for over 1100 yards through a full 16 game season. And now of of a sudden he's running with confidence, aggression and assertiveness, and has become a team leader.

And now of of a sudden he's running with confidence, aggression and assertiveness, and has become a team leader.

Well, if the Pats resign Maroney, I'll go along with you.

Well, if the Pats resign Maroney, I'll go along with you.

I hope the Pats do resign him, BB seems like he is on his side and likes the guy. Morris and Taylor are getting up there in age and cant take a beating that a NFL RB takes much longer.

He ran HARD yesterday, without the fumbles. I use to want Morris in there before I wanted Maroney, but now I love seeing LM with the rock. He's running like a man possessed, and kudos to him for that.
I'm impressed with Maroney's hard running, too, especially with how he is running over defenders and gaining the extra yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News