PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Smart extended for 4year/77M max

Thanks...good stuff here. I didn’t realize he was already Finals MVP before Boston. Not many players today would be willing to sacrifice individual attention for team glory. Money is kind of ruining pro sports and especially basketball. The Warriors/KD couldn’t even stay together for 3 seasons. Shaq/Kobe. Kyrie/LeBron. All about me and my credit.

Yeah, I agree on this take.

When a guy averaging over 30 ppg is on the trade market, there’s going to be a lot of strong offers. Every team’s fans think they’re going to land him and every team’s fans thinks Beal wants to play in their city. The Celtics keep going through this same cycle of being a less attractive place to play for superstars and not offering a big enough deal to risk bringing in superstars and hoping to convince them to stay. It was all so easy in 2007.
Some Celtics homers fail to acknowledge the Boston Celtics aren't a destination in today's NBA. It doesn't matter how much cap space you have. If players don't want to come. And the ones that do sign. Don't stay very long.

Some Celtics homers fail to acknowledge the Boston Celtics aren't a destination in today's NBA. It doesn't matter how much cap space you have. If players don't want to come. And the ones that do sign. Don't stay very long.

I think having max contracts and set salaries based on all-NBA teams has also contributed to it. Boston isn’t even an undesirable place to play…it’s just not one of the top destinations. Imagine trying to court a top 5 player if you’re Oklahoma City, Utah, Toronto, etc. Chris Paul, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard...all of them wanted to play in LA and got their wish. Hey, if the salaries are the same. Why not? Big endorsement deals, nice weather, etc. FAs like Miami, too. They’ve tried to create balance, and in the process made it unbalanced. If Portland or Charlotte wants to spend $75M on Giannis, as a hypothetical, by all means let them. Hard to have a real market when there’s artificial caps on bidding for certain players.

The problem with Marcus Smart is he isn't a 3 and D guy. He's a tough guy defensive role player who shoots way too many crappy 3's. Not worth the contract.

the C's have around 50M worth of expiring contracts and team options going into next summer. they have the means to take on any super-max contract, plus they have 17M traded player exception since they turned the Fournier signing into a sign and trade. anyone telling you otherwise is full of sh!t
this post didnt age well :rofl:

Marcus Smart tonight. 29mins, 0/6 shooting 0 rebounds 0 points. Making almost $20M a year.

Fire Brad Stevens.

Aug'21: This team is constructed very oddly. Who are the 2 starting bigs and which bigs off the bench? This team will get manhandled nightly under the rim.

Following up. C's out-rebounded by --20 boards tonight. Absolutely terrible job by Stevens

Aug'21: This team is constructed very oddly. Who are the 2 starting bigs and which bigs off the bench? This team will get manhandled nightly under the rim.

Following up. C's out-rebounded by --20 tonight. Absolutely terrible job by Stevens

No room for a decent rebounder such as Jabari Parker on this team, Brad? Really?

#FireTheBrad
lol oh geez here we go with the parker crap. 6 teams dumped him. What does that tell you? The team may need a big man. But parker isn't it. There's a lot to criticize Stevens for, and justifiable so. Dumping parker isn't one of those reasons. fire brad stevens.

I'm so glad we have Smart and Williams here for $120M guaranteed the next several years.

Screenshot_20211105-080415~2.png

Last edited:
This team is constructed very oddly. Who are the 2 starting bigs and which bigs off the bench? This team will get manhandled nightly under the rim.

Celtics have poor interior play. None of this was a surprise.

I think having max contracts and set salaries based on all-NBA teams has also contributed to it. Boston isn’t even an undesirable place to play…it’s just not one of the top destinations. Imagine trying to court a top 5 player if you’re Oklahoma City, Utah, Toronto, etc. Chris Paul, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard...all of them wanted to play in LA and got their wish. Hey, if the salaries are the same. Why not? Big endorsement deals, nice weather, etc. FAs like Miami, too. They’ve tried to create balance, and in the process made it unbalanced. If Portland or Charlotte wants to spend $75M on Giannis, as a hypothetical, by all means let them. Hard to have a real market when there’s artificial caps on bidding for certain players.

While all true, Boston does have a clear reputation and the C's had to trade for Garnett and Ray Allen, those guys didn't choose to come here. And Horford was ok with a strong Dominican base here plus Ortiz reached out. That's it. No free agent with choices and with game changing talent has gone there willingly since..... dunno.

While all true, Boston does have a clear reputation and the C's had to trade for Garnett and Ray Allen, those guys didn't choose to come here. And Horford was ok with a strong Dominican base here plus Ortiz reached out. That's it. No free agent with choices and with game changing talent has gone there willingly since..... dunno.
Gordon Hayward and kemba. They were legit free agent signings.

They both blew up in the Celtic's face. But at the time they were signed, they were legit FA signings.

Gordon and Kemba? Yes agree. Was fine. I didn't think Ainge was a bad GM. Stevens on the other hand is an idiot.

For Smart and Williams... Had a visceral reaction the moment the deals were done. They were bad deals at the start. But I guess in the big picture of all nba deals a lot of bad deals get done and the Celtics are a mediocre organization that makes bad deals now with this crappy GM. So yea of seen from the lens of so many mediocre teams do this too, makes sense when one accepts the C's are NOT a good organization right now. They do dumb deals just like the rest of the other bad teams.

Last edited:

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back