PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Smart extended for 4year/77M max

Marcus smart is a major head case. And that directly affects his play on the court. I can't believe they resigned him. Fingers crossed they trade him in a year. :yuck::yuck:

tumblr_moj96a1vbU1r556mmo1_400.gif

It is a movable contract. It is not as bad as you think. Smart can D up and is an effort player. If the Wiz believe that Beal is gone they may move him and the Cs could send back Smart and future 1st round capital and add in someone else to make salaries match. Let's not judge until we see the final product on the court. Two years ago this team was in the ECF and I believe this version is better than that one that had a gimpy Kemba and gimpy Hayward. It has been pretty exhausting seeing assets leave with nothing to show in return.

It is a movable contract. It is not as bad as you think. Smart can D up and is an effort player. If the Wiz believe that Beal is gone they may move him and the Cs could send back Smart and future 1st round capital and add in someone else to make salaries match. Let's not judge until we see the final product on the court. Two years ago this team was in the ECF and I believe this version is better than that one that had a gimpy Kemba and gimpy Hayward. It has been pretty exhausting seeing assets leave with nothing to show in return.

assets also show up for nothing........would you rather have fournier at 4/80 or schroeder for 1/6?

This team is constructed very oddly. Who are the 2 starting bigs and which bigs off the bench? This team will get manhandled nightly under the rim.

This team is constructed very oddly. Who are the 2 starting bigs and which bigs off the bench? This team will get manhandled nightly under the rim.

According to 98.5 Zolack and Bertrand. marcus smarts, trade kicker, doesn't kick in until next year. So the celtics still have a chance to trade his sorry ass. Hopefully at the trade deadline.

i think its a two year plan with the end goal to get Beal. We are not winning a chip this year and we are building towards getting Beal in green with Tatum and Brown...then fill in around them. They have some young talent that could fit in well. If you can get past what is going on this year you will see this will be a really good team 2 plus years from now

i think its a two year plan with the end goal to get Beal. We are not winning a chip this year and we are building towards getting Beal in green with Tatum and Brown...then fill in around them. They have some young talent that could fit in well. If you can get past what is going on this year you will see this will be a really good team 2 plus years from now
I like your positive attitude. But I think you are dreaming. Washington will insist on brown, imo in a trade. That's the only way to get him now after the smart contract. And there is no way of knowing where beal wants to go. Yes, he is friends with tatum. But that doesn't guarantee anything. There are far to many moving parts in your scenario. Just look what happened to Danny's plans with kyrie and hayward. It's a pipe dream. Even if they got beal. He's really good. But he doesn't make the Celtics a championship team. Tatum and brown will be asking for trades in two years because the team isn't in contention, The cold reality is they are screwed for a long time.

Last edited:
I like your positive attitude. But I think you are dreaming. Washington will insist on brown, imo in a trade. That's the only way to get him now after the smart contract. And there is no way of knowing where beal wants to go. Yes, he friends with tatum. But that doesn't guarantee anything. There are far to many moving parts in your scenario. Just look what happened to Danny plans with kyrie and hayward. It's a pipe dream. Even if they got beal. He's really good. But he doesn't make the Celtics a championship team. Tatum and brown will be asking for trades in two years because the team isn't in contention, The cold reality is they are screwed for a long time.

sad-kid.gif

I don’t know enough about basketball/salary cap to really comment in-depth, but from my shallow perspective: Smart is the type of guy - like Dennis Johnson (Celtics), Bruce Bowen (Spurs) and Draymond Green (Warriors) - who fits great on a stacked team with lots of scorers…his defense meshes well and he can be a competent offensive player when needed.

But on the Celtics right now, with such little depth and scoring that relies disproportionately on two guys, this seems like a lot of money on a complementary player, no?

I don’t know enough about basketball/salary cap to really comment in-depth, but from my shallow perspective: Smart is the type of guy - like Dennis Johnson (Celtics), Bruce Bowen (Spurs) and Draymond Green (Warriors) - who fits great on a stacked team with lots of scorers…his defense meshes well and he can be a competent offensive player when needed.

But on the Celtics right now, with such little depth and scoring that relies disproportionately on two guys, this seems like a lot of money on a complementary player, no?
Marcus smart is no Dennis Johnson. Not even close. DJ could have averaged 25 points a game if not more on any team in the NBA when he was playing. He was a great player offensively and defensively. And he was clutch. He was willing to play the role that was best for the team. The Celtics didn't need him to score. They had bird ainge and mchale. More importantly. DJ had a fully functional brain. Unlike marcus smart.

I like your positive attitude. But I think you are dreaming. Washington will insist on brown, imo in a trade. That's the only way to get him now after the smart contract. And there is no way of knowing where beal wants to go. Yes, he is friends with tatum. But that doesn't guarantee anything. There are far to many moving parts in your scenario. Just look what happened to Danny's plans with kyrie and hayward. It's a pipe dream. Even if they got beal. He's really good. But he doesn't make the Celtics a championship team. Tatum and brown will be asking for trades in two years because the team isn't in contention, The cold reality is they are screwed for a long time.
Beal is a FA next year and he will sign with Boston. I will almost bet on it

that's what complimentary players go for

Dennis Johnson was the prototypical late bloomer, Johnson overcame early struggles and had a successful NBA playing career. Drafted 29th overall in 1976 by the Seattle SuperSonics, Johnson began his professional career as a shooting guard. He eventually led the Sonics to their only NBA championship in 1979, winning the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award (MVP). After a short stint with the Phoenix Suns, he became the starting point guard for the Boston Celtics, with whom he won two more championships. Johnson was voted into five All-Star Teams, one All-NBA First and one Second Team, and nine consecutive All-Defensive First and Second Teams. Apart from his reputation as a defensive stopper, Johnson was known as a clutch player who made several decisive plays in NBA playoffs history. The Celtics franchise has retired Johnson's number 3 jersey, which hangs from the rafters of the TD Garden, the home arena of the team. Dennis Johnson was also selected as a member of the Seattle SuperSonic's 40th Anniversary team. Despite his career, Johnson has not been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He is considered by many sports journalists to be one of the most underrated players of all time. 3 Time NBA Champion 1979 Finals MVP 1 time 1st Team All-NBA 1 time 2nd Team All-NBA 6 time 1st Team All-Defensive 3 time 2nd Team All-Defensive 5 Time All-Star

Dennis Johnson was the prototypical late bloomer, Johnson overcame early struggles and had a successful NBA playing career. Drafted 29th overall in 1976 by the Seattle SuperSonics, Johnson began his professional career as a shooting guard. He eventually led the Sonics to their only NBA championship in 1979, winning the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award (MVP). After a short stint with the Phoenix Suns, he became the starting point guard for the Boston Celtics, with whom he won two more championships. Johnson was voted into five All-Star Teams, one All-NBA First and one Second Team, and nine consecutive All-Defensive First and Second Teams. Apart from his reputation as a defensive stopper, Johnson was known as a clutch player who made several decisive plays in NBA playoffs history. The Celtics franchise has retired Johnson's number 3 jersey, which hangs from the rafters of the TD Garden, the home arena of the team. Dennis Johnson was also selected as a member of the Seattle SuperSonic's 40th Anniversary team. Despite his career, Johnson has not been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He is considered by many sports journalists to be one of the most underrated players of all time. 3 Time NBA Champion 1979 Finals MVP 1 time 1st Team All-NBA 1 time 2nd Team All-NBA 6 time 1st Team All-Defensive 3 time 2nd Team All-Defensive 5 Time All-Star

Thanks...good stuff here. I didn’t realize he was already Finals MVP before Boston. Not many players today would be willing to sacrifice individual attention for team glory. Money is kind of ruining pro sports and especially basketball. The Warriors/KD couldn’t even stay together for 3 seasons. Shaq/Kobe. Kyrie/LeBron. All about me and my credit.

Yeah, I agree on this take.

When a guy averaging over 30 ppg is on the trade market, there’s going to be a lot of strong offers. Every team’s fans think they’re going to land him and every team’s fans thinks Beal wants to play in their city. The Celtics keep going through this same cycle of being a less attractive place to play for superstars and not offering a big enough deal to risk bringing in superstars and hoping to convince them to stay. It was all so easy in 2007.

Yeah, I agree on this take.

When a guy averaging over 30 ppg is on the trade market, there’s going to be a lot of strong offers. Every team’s fans think they’re going to land him and every team’s fans thinks Beal wants to play in their city. The Celtics keep going through this same cycle of being a less attractive place to play for superstars and not offering a big enough deal to risk bringing in superstars and hoping to convince them to stay. It was all so easy in 2007.

the C's have around 50M worth of expiring contracts and team options going into next summer. they have the means to take on any super-max contract, plus they have 17M traded player exception since they turned the Fournier signing into a sign and trade. anyone telling you otherwise is full of sh!t

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back