PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would trade sanchez for a lot of QB's out there. 32 QB's in the NFL and Sanchez is in the bottom 10...after 3 years..it's pretty sad that jets fans try to defend that

But they will say

"we went to the last 2 AFC champ games" Did you win? Their D was the only reason they were there

I don't think the Jets have any intention of giving up on Sanchez anytime soon.

The Colts performance this year is disgraceful, and getting rid of Manning if he can still play would leave that franchise with a huge permanent black mark no matter who they draft.

If you consider a $16M dead cap hit in 2012 modest... They can also simply not exercise the option and his 2012 salary becomes guaranteed and the contract ends after 2012. That is the only way they could theoretically trade him because their dead cap would remain at $16M with all the salary going to the team they traded him to. Thing is you won't find a team willing to trade for him on a 1 year $28M basis even for middling picks because they will know that Indy is in a bind ($32M 2012 cap hit and $12M dead cap hit in 2013) and would not be parting with him if they thought he had more than a season left if that...

Peyton gave them an opt out to avoid a $54M cap hit if he was unable to play going forward. He still wanted and got $26M just for trying (because it was playing football for them that landed him in this predicament). He isn't going to cooperate with any deal that trades him because it was his intent in agreeing to this deal that he retire as a Colt. He also gave them a break in part with the understanding that Polian would use the savings to build a better team around him over his last 5 years in Indy. Saw no signs of that happening heading into this season. Now they have a chance to reap the rewards of sucking in his absence big time on draft day. If instead they choose to simply )draft his replacement, he will likely realize he got bs'ed (and Condon likely warned him that was always a possibility) so it's likely he will once again defer to Condon in managing what, if anything, remains of his career... Tom Condon's only loyalties lie with himself and his clients in and of the moment. One of whom will likely also be named Luck.

Mo -

I didn't get a chance to look closely at the dead money earlier today. The $16 million you cite is what remains of the $20 million signing bonus (correct?). What about the $3.0 roster bonus for 2011? Isn't there another $2.4 million of dead money making the total $18.4 million? Either way, I agree that the hit is anything but modest but it is more manageable than if they had guaranteed the full $54 million.

I don't think the Jets have any intention of giving up on Sanchez anytime soon.

The Colts performance this year is disgraceful, and getting rid of Manning if he can still play would leave that franchise with a huge permanent black mark no matter who they draft.

the Host on Sirius Radio [Moving the Chains] thinks Sanchez is a Long-Term Solution... He goes on by saying the only thing he sees happening is the OC will get fired. Since, the OC has not been replaced it is crazy to think Sanchez is being chased out of town.

He did bring up the 2 playoff road wins... I agree w/the host Rich^ Peyton to NYJ I have a hard time seeing it. Sanchez is a Franchise QB (Not Elite, but a Franchise QB) He is good in his own way... and they just need a new OC like Moore to help develop him further. He is a young QB.

this makes a lot of sense^

Last edited:
Mo -

I didn't get a chance to look closely at the dead money earlier today. The $16 million you cite is what remains of the $20 million signing bonus (correct?). What about the $3.0 roster bonus for 2011? Isn't there another $2.4 million of dead money making the total $18.4 million? Either way, I agree that the hit is anything but modest but it is more manageable than if they had guaranteed the full $54 million.

The roster bonus wasn't prorated. They aren't normally unless you convert them or portions of salary to signing bonus which you wouldn't do in year 1...

$16M in dead cap is certainly more manageable than than being on the hook for $54M if he cannot play. However if he can and you cut him anyway to draft a replacement QB with a #1 pick that has a trade value in excess of 2 firsts... Not so sure how manageable that would be...for a rookie playing with essentially the 2011 Colts (plus a few additions but not likely impact ones if the first is spent on the QB and given Polian's aversion to FA and possibly less Mathis and Wayne).

Peyton gave them an out in the unlikely chance he could never play again. He didn't give them an out in the unlikely chance they decided to just move on sooner than later...

Manning will end up retiring or going to the cowboys/redskins. Sanchez is horrible, i really cringe at the fact that he beat us at home last year in the playoffs, he is a horrible quarterback in cold weather games and just a bad one in general. I would take Tavaris Jackson over him, I would even prefer Chad Henne or Fitzpatrick. Jets will never go anywhere with him..

What? You think that, if the Colts agreed to a trade and the Jets had an opportunity to add Peyton Manning, they wouldn't do it because they don't have enough cap space? The salary cap means nothing, dude, it can be manipulated in every way to accommodate a player of Manning's caliber.

When a player is taking up $20 million, it's not quite as easy as with other players.

Could they do it?

Yes.

Could they keep all their other high or mid priced players?

No.

That high salary DOES impact a team's depth. Look at the Colts.

Peyton Mannng is a dinosaur. Dinosaurs go to die in the tar pits of Minnesota.

By NFL rule, Peyton Manning will be the QB of the Vikings next year so that he can park his walker in the line behind:

Donovan McNabb
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Randall Cunningham
Jim McMahon (forgot that one, didn't you?)
Warren Moon
Rich Gannon
Wade Wilson
Archie Manning (Dad!)
Norm Snead
Joe Kapp
and Fran Tarkenton.

They ought to establish a Museum of Natural History in Saint Paul and put the bones of these stegasaurus-es on display for schoolchildren to gawk at.

Last edited:
Peyton Mannng is a dinosaur. Dinosaurs go to die in the tar pits of Minnesota.

By NFL rule, Peyton Manning will be the QB of the Vikings next year so that he can park his walker in the line behind:

Donovan McNabb
Brett Favre
Daunte Culpepper
Randall Cunningham
Jim McMahon (forgot that one, didn't you?)
Warren Moon
Rich Gannon
Wade Wilson
Archie Manning (Dad!)
Norm Snead
Joe Kapp
and Fran Tarkenton.

They ought to establish a Museum of Natural History in Saint Paul and put the bones of these stegasaurus-es on display for schoolchildren to gawk at.

This is a nominee for Post of the Year. :D

I'd prefer to see Peyton Manning playing on a contender. I like the Patriots beating Peyton Manning.

Call me strange, but I like watching the best at their best. The beat down the Patriots are going to put on the Colts in a few weeks just isn't going to be the same.

It's not going to happen but i wouldn't be opposed to it. Manning is on his last days and the Jets are going to progressively get worse year to year for the duration of his deal if they are eating up his contract (even this year they downgraded their roster despite handing out huge contracts to Santonio and company). When he retires after 3 or 4 seasons they'll be a complete mess unless they have some outstanding drafts. And in those 3-4 years it's hard to see them winning it all unless Manning is the QB he was pre-injury which is hard to imagine. Typically when a QB is IR'd it takes at least a season to get back to where you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes