PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning to the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time that fans around the league started writing to the Commissioner and media about their disgust over the blatant tanking of the season by the Colts in order to get first shot at Luck.

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News is so fed up with it that he wrote a column a few weeks ago in which he said that the NFL should copy the NBA draft this season in order to assure the integrity of the game.

Polian is that much of a POS that he would tank the entire season just to get the #1 pick.

On the other hand, Luck didn't look so hot against Oregon the other night. It would be interesting to see if he stock drops even a smidge.

Why are people so certain of Luck's chance in the NFL?

If people could evaluate players so perfect, I am certain that Brady wouldn't have gone #199!

I don't see the Colts trading away Manning. From listening to a medical expert ESPN had on regarding Manning's injury, he said that Manning, once healthy and recovered, can be as good as ever (as far as the neck injury) and continue to resume physical activity prior to the injury, including playing QB in the NFL and not having to worry about his neck. So if that's the case, why would the Colts trade away one of the best QBs ever to play? He's still probably has another 3-4 years of quality play. He may not equal the value of his bloated contract, but Manning I think means too much to that organization to just trade him away so they can chance their luck with an unproven college kid.

Why would the Jets bring Manning over to sit on the bench behind their franchise QB?

I don't see the Colts trading away Manning. From listening to a medical expert ESPN had on regarding Manning's injury, he said that Manning, once healthy and recovered, can be as good as ever (as far as the neck injury) and continue to resume physical activity prior to the injury, including playing QB in the NFL and not having to worry about his neck. So if that's the case, why would the Colts trade away one of the best QBs ever to play? He's still probably has another3-4 years of quality play. He may not equal the value of his bloated contract, but Manning I think means too much to that organization to just trade him away so they can chance their luck with an unproven college kid.

The problem is it's not a given he will ever be healthy and recovered. This isn't like an ACL or even a "run of the mill" C-7 injury. He's had 3 procedures and a stem cell infusion in 19 months because the first surgery didn't really fix what ailed him and neither did the second and the biggest issue is whether or not the nerves will fully regenerate following a third, which they haven't done to date. The bone graft will or should heal completely within a year, but if the nerves just don't regenerage it won't matter from a football standpoint because he won't he able to throw the ball with accuracy or velocity.

The draft Luck talk is just so fraught with consequences that none of them seem to want to even acknowledge it's mindnumbing. This team is a lot further away from competing than just getting Manning back. They could really use an influx of early round talent. Two of their 3 most talented players are UFA after this season and they aren't spring chickens either and they do their best work in the presence of an offense was built around Manning's skillset and it took him years to perfect it and it still performs tentatively in postseason at best. Are they planning to insert Luck into that system that Manning taught the existing talent or are they going to have to create a whole new offense around Luck's skillset and teach it to everyone else. And who will they tap to coach it if they do...because the current coaching staff has little experience outside of being groomed by their predecessors and in some cases Manning in the existing system over the last several seasons...with zero experience in installing or maintaining it outside of Manning's presence.

Ditto anyone who thinks Archie Manning's most accomplished son is going to allow himself to be traded to the highest bidder (idiot) who thinks it can assimilate him into it's system or assimilate itself to his in less than a couple of seasons (which may be all he has left at most) is delusional... Legacy matters too much to Peyton. He wants to come back if he can. He doesn't want to start over somewhere else... And if they draft Luck and can't improve the 2012 team exponentially as a result I'm not sure he will even want to come back at all... Again, because legacy matters and he wants another shot or two at rings.

If people could evaluate players so perfect, I am certain that Brady wouldn't have gone #199!

What is certain is Manning is 35 and has a career on the back end.

This all comes down to philosophy of long term goals.

If you draft the QB, you should go all in.

If you think Manning's return makes them an instant contender again, that's a different path.

If you were the Colt's owner, you have to think beyond the 3 years of play Manning would have left.

Why would the Jets bring Manning over to sit on the bench behind their franchise QB?

Funny to see Ryan and Revis (Revis and Butthead?) on NFLN when they were asked about Sanchez. Both kind of squirmed while trying to say the right things. Revis was asked if Sanchez was holding the team back and he trotted out the line about back-to-back AFCCGs; he also later said something about having to play with the guys they have and "we don't have Steve Young" (about 2:15 of this video). And Ryan had some serious eye-contact issues when he was talking about his faith in Sanchez.

What is certain is Manning is35 and has a career on the back end. This all comes down to philosophy of long term goals. If you draft the QB, you should go all in. If you think Manning's return makes them an instant contender again, that's a different path. If you were the Colt's owner, you have to think beyond the3 years of play Manning would have left.

But then you also have to factor in the short term in that market. Not to mention the fact that despite what any guru persumes to know, there are no guarantees. If you think Luck alone makes this team a contender again...you're delusional. If you think two firsts and a second makes this team a contender again with a competent QB...whole other ballgame. Then it becomes a question of whether Manning can at least be competent for another 3 years and you can actually draft and groom another QB to be competent thereafter.

Drafting Luck isn't going to guarantee a damn thing long term. That's the conundrum.

Oregon made Luck look mortal....didn't look like a future NFL HOFer to me...he did throw 3 TDs but also coughed up 2 INTs in a game against a top ranked opponent and those picks helped lose the game.

Luck has regressed a bit since the 2010 season,yet people put him in Manning's pedestal in QBs coming in the draft.

I still think Barkeley will be the best QB in the draft and will go to Miami or Seattle

Peyton won't become a JET...

too much $$$ is tied up for the team that wants to take him (JET team I mean) edit...

The JETS have a HIGH Payroll w/ a 1st rd QB getting payed. Manning to the Jets is a scary thought, but it is a Fantasy scenario and not a realistic happening.

Miami HOWEVER would be in position to seize Peyton. IDC if Miami gets him (better them than the JESTS)

Miami won't have an expensive QB next year (Henne the Rd1 QB is gone) lots of $$$ freed up.

IDK Miami's payroll, but him to Miami makes sense.

So what does Peyton go to Miami for (what kind of package?)
Miami is the likely destination imo.

PS

PHUCK THE JESTS!!! :):):)

<3 TSK

Last edited:
I'd love that if it happened. The Jets sacrificing part of their future to bring in a player who will be a year removed from football into a system that may or may not fit his skillset?

Plus the games would be fun as hell.

Who will also be a full year removed from playing football. And best of all, the undercurrent of this story, if it gets traction, is that people are finally turning on Sanchez. I love everything about this.

Oregon made Luck look mortal....didn't look like a future NFL HOFer to me...he did throw 3 TDs but also coughed up 2 INTs in a game against a top ranked opponent and those picks helped lose the game.

Luck has regressed a bit since the 2010 season,yet people put him in Manning's pedestal in QBs coming in the draft.

I still think Barkeley will be the best QB in the draft and will go to Miami or Seattle

Luck has been every bit as good as he was last season, IMO. I'd take him over Barkley without a second thought.

Remember, when Manning came out, there were people who had similar doubts about him as what you're expressing here. Any QB who stays in college for a year "too long" will start being picked apart like that.

But then you also have to factor in the short term in that market. Not to mention the fact that despite what any guru persumes to know, there are no guarantees. If you think Luck alone makes this team a contender again...you're delusional. If you think two firsts and a second makes this team a contender again with a competent QB...whole other ballgame. Then it becomes a question of whether Manning can at least be competent for another 3 years and you can actually draft and groom another QB to be competent thereafter.

Drafting Luck isn't going to guarantee a damn thing long term. That's the conundrum.

Well, yeah

Manning at 35 isn't Rodgers at 28 or Manning at 28.

Here is how I would look for importance:

Polian gone, new regime. If he gets fired over this debacle, it would make it easier.

Manning isn't the only one coming to the end. Wayne, Clarke, Saturday, Freeney, Mathis are on the backend. You have be realistic about competing.

Manning evaluation. If Manning 100% isn't enough, can Manning 80% be enough? Not in Indy. With a QB missing "contender", maybe. Look at Minnesota 2009 vs 2010 and now. Good QB play means something

How Luck evaluates out. This can go either way. If they do decide they draft him, he'll need a team around him.

In this case, I would elevate long term over short term. If you give a fanbase reason to hope, they will stay with you. If you give them a declining product with zero hope, it's hopeless.

If I owned the Jets, short term is more important. The Jets need to be relavent and should be good enough to compete with a real QB.

Final thought would be Manning's salary. Is this a money, love of game, or place in history question. Recouping reduced salary in New York is easier than in Indy.

Last edited:
Who will also be a full year removed from playing football. And best of all, the undercurrent of this story, if it gets traction, is that people are finally turning on Sanchez. I love everything about this.

Peyton would be scary in any kind of system. The dude is frigging gooood.

who would take Sanchez in a trade? Mr USC, "I left b4 sh!t got really bad Peter Rabbit"?

this has no water. No way it happens.

Peyton is going to Miami to chill with Will Smith.
Will Smith - Miami - YouTube

Peyton will be gettin jiggy wit it in Miami next season
Gettin Jiggy Wit It-Lyrics - YouTube

Last edited:
The problem is it's not a given he will ever be healthy and recovered. This isn't like an ACL or even a "run of the mill" C-7 injury. He's had 3 procedures and a stem cell infusion in 19 months because the first surgery didn't really fix what ailed him and neither did the second and the biggest issue is whether or not the nerves will fully regenerate following a third, which they haven't done to date. The bone graft will or should heal completely within a year, but if the nerves just don't regenerage it won't matter from a football standpoint because he won't he able to throw the ball with accuracy or velocity.

The draft Luck talk is just so fraught with consequences that none of them seem to want to even acknowledge it's mindnumbing. This team is a lot further away from competing than just getting Manning back. They could really use an influx of early round talent. Two of their 3 most talented players are UFA after this season and they aren't spring chickens either and they do their best work in the presence of an offense was built around Manning's skillset and it took him years to perfect it and it still performs tentatively in postseason at best. Are they planning to insert Luck into that system that Manning taught the existing talent or are they going to have to create a whole new offense around Luck's skillset and teach it to everyone else. And who will they tap to coach it if they do...because the current coaching staff has little experience outside of being groomed by their predecessors and in some cases Manning in the existing system over the last several seasons...with zero experience in installing or maintaining it outside of Manning's presence.

Ditto anyone who thinks Archie Manning's most accomplished son is going to allow himself to be traded to the highest bidder (idiot) who thinks it can assimilate him into it's system or assimilate itself to his in less than a couple of seasons (which may be all he has left at most) is delusional... Legacy matters too much to Peyton. He wants to come back if he can. He doesn't want to start over somewhere else... And if they draft Luck and can't improve the 2012 team exponentially as a result I'm not sure he will even want to come back at all... Again, because legacy matters and he wants another shot or two at rings.

Agree with all your points. Regarding his recovery, I guess that's just a chance I think the Colts might be willing to take. It's the same risk they would be taking if they get rid of Manning and take their chances on an unproven kid. Do you risk the chance of losing a healthy Manning, which will give your fanbase hope and maybe even another title run for the next 3-4 years, for a kid who is unproven and will probably set your franchise back in rebuilding mode for a couple of years?

As you said, legacy matters here and is a BIG factor. Irsay respects Manning enough to the point that it was Manning who came up with the structure of his most recent contract. To Manning's credit, he gave the Colts an "out clause" on his contract because of his nagging injury. Both sides have showed respect, and I think respect will be shown by the Colts organization in regards to what Manning's future will be.

I can't see them dumping Manning to the Jets or anywhere else.

It's hard to look like an immortal when you're on the sidelines because your defense can't stop LaMichael James and the Oregon ground attack. Just ask Tom Brady right before he left for the airport to depart from Pittsburgh back to New England.

I have absolutely no desire to see Peyton Manning in a Jets uniform, and I suspect that BB feels the same way.

me too and iam sure the jets will do it if they get a chance to do it and polian doing it just to stick to both the jets/pats.

Last edited:
I've previously argued that the Colts will keep Manning to tutor Luck in the Colts offense.

However, Tom Moore is gone, and if the Polian's and Caldwell are fired it makes much more sense for the Colts to take the 16M cap hit. A new GM coming in there will not want to be strapped to a 35 year old injury risk.

You figure that they will need to overhaul at least half of their roster anyways, given their talent deficiency. Why not just throw a rookie in there to learn with everyone else? The success of guys like Newton and Dalton proves this can be successful.

As far as the Jets, priority number one this offseason should be QB, even before offensive line. Sanchez is absolutely terrible and will never be more than a backup. The guy has the arm but he cannot read a defense and has zero pocket presence.

In this scenario, Manning is cut loose as a free agent. Which destination could be more perfect than the Jets? Tom Moore is already in place as a consultant. Eli is also in NJ. They have some good pieces on offense and a great defense. Its quite easy to envision.

I really hope this doesn't happen. I have a feeling Manning will still be able to play at a high level after this injury.

I was waiting for someone to come out with it at some point this season. Manning to the Jets and Favre back out of retirement suggestions.

What a week.

Let's add in a re-sign Moss thread and we will have a hat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back