PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins: Pats’ O-Linemen Have ‘Rude Awakening’ In Store From Scarnecchia

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SB championship and 2 point loss on the road in the AFCC in his absence weren't good enough for you?
Only reason the team got to those places was because they had to rely heavily on the quick passing game (ball out in two seconds or less) because the OL was such a liability. Once the quick passing game went out the window, the offense became stagnant. You're more than welcome to believe the OL was stout during that run, though.

So your claim then has to boil down to the notion that you have zero questions about the adequacy of Cannon and/or Waddle stepping in for Solder and/or Vollmer.

Interesting, to say the least.
It is interesting to see what you find interesting.

Some folks require all-pro backups at every position. Some are content with have two players who have started for the patriots, and likely a high draft choice as backups.

You're certainly free to require more. Perhaps, we should trade three of our picks to move up for an OT?

It is interesting to see what you find interesting.

Not really. It's boring old common sense what I find interesting in this case, and people seem to be agreeing with me.

Some folks require all-pro backups at every position. Some are content with have two players who have started for the patriots, and likely a high draft choice as backups.

You're certainly free to require more. Perhaps, we should trade three of our picks to move up for an OT?

Or you could just stop with the passive-aggressive stuff and admit that your initial post, which stated

"I'm not at all worried about OT's for 2016..."

was either hyperbolic, and not really true, or the result of poor initial thinking/writing on your part.

Last edited:
Only reason the team got to those places was because they had to rely heavily on the quick passing game (ball out in two seconds or less) because the OL was such a liability. Once the quick passing game went out the window, the offense became stagnant. You're more than welcome to believe the OL was stout during that run, though.

There's no question Dante is an all-time great coach, but I think many are overestimating the practical difference between him and Googs on a team where Brady is the QB. The Patriots win a ton of games regardless of who their OL coach is and opposing lineman have dominated or even embarrassed the Patriots OL at critical times regardless of whether Dante (Tuck, Knighton, etc) or Googs (Bennett, Miller, etc.) is in charge.

The whole "thank God Googs is gone" mentality may translate to the aesthetic appeal and versatility of the offense, but it is not likely to translate to the team's W/L record or the OL's ability to suddenly rise to the occasion against top DLs.

Cannon was here with Scar before. for a few years. Not sure what your point is.
Cannon and Scar only worked together one year- 2013. Ironically Cannon had his best season with the team.

A ;ot of interesting comments and opinions voiced in this thread so far. Should be very interesting to see how the O-line gels under the "Return of Scar"......

What I wonder is if Scar had a hand in the Jonathon Cooper part of the AZ tarde and if not, how will that shake out going into the real season.... the Playoffs, BABY!!

After reading Mankins and Lights comments and considering that in addition to firing Googs, the other person they let go was the conditioning coach Harold Nash, were they talking about being able to finish strong more than scheme?

If Cannon is here to stay, somebody better wake him up!
The Cannon "problem" goes beyond the fact that he was downright horrible last season. Its also that he is Scar's boy, and might, just maybe, hang onto his job next season.

Given the injury/play history of both Solder and Vollmer, Vollmer's health in particular, how can you be "not at all worried" about the OT spot?
Do rookies play like veterans? Of course not. Yet we played four newcomers and played Vollmer out of position though he was hurt. We did terrible with a rookie line; and only went 12-4 without any RBs after Lewis and Blount went down.

Worry about real problems. TB is another year older. The offensive skill positions need some more players in addition to Gronkowski and Edelman. Bennet is a good addition though. RBs sometimes take more than as season to come back and regain their elusiveness, so worry about Lewis.

When it comes to raw talent, I really thing the cup runneth over on the interior line. I think Stork, Andrews, Cooper, Klein, Mason and Jackson are six of the most compelling interior linemen that we have ever seen assembled as a unit. And other than Klein the group is young and on the rise.

Our starting OTs are veteran pros, and among the best at their jobs. The depth at OT is the only spot that really gives me pause. Cannon has been solid before, maybe again. But I wish we had a better succession plan on the roster for Vollmer, who likely only has a few more years left, max.

Scar will not be here forever, who is the heir apparent??

When it comes to raw talent, I really thing the cup runneth over on the interior line. I think Stork, Andrews, Cooper, Klein, Mason and Jackson are six of the most compelling interior linemen that we have ever seen assembled as a unit. And other than Klein the group is young and on the rise.

Our starting OTs are veteran pros, and among the best at their jobs. The depth at OT is the only spot that really gives me pause. Cannon has been solid before, maybe again. But I wish we had a better succession plan on the roster for Vollmer, who likely only has a few more years left, max.

Our interior OL consists of:
  • Stork: played very well his rookie season, didn't make a second year jump but he was on IR most the season so he is a near-rookie, hopefully he will make his jump next year.
  • Andrews: played better than expected as a rookie.
  • Mason: looked like he could be a future star except in Denver.
  • Jackson: played plenty of snaps early on and looked good, not so good late in the season.
  • Cooper: drafted number 10 overall, look great until he was injured, hasn't looked very good since.
  • Klein: played well early in the season, poorly later, probably he doesn't have much more upside.
Cohesiveness is crucial with an OL and the rookies and near-rookies had absolutely no cohesiveness because of injuries. I think they have promise this year.

Our OT's consist of:
  • Soldier, a very valuable above-average (i.e., top 10 or top 15) OT at a valued position (and one of the highest paid players on the team).
  • Volmer, one of the best OT in the league when healthy, but despite his toughness becoming injury prone and turning 32 in July at a position where the shelf life can be short (Ryan Clady and Jake Long used to be top OT's, now at 29 and 30 they have marginal value, and Matt Light retired at 33).
  • Many don't agree, but I think Cannon has mostly been a valuable back-up, but for whatever reason (couldn't hear the snaps, injured, just a bad match-up) had one of the all-time bad games for an OT against Denver, and wasn't that good late in the season either.
I agree our starting OT's are a good group, but clearly OT should probably be the main priority in the draft, Volmer is injury prone and turning 32 and Cannon looked like he couldn't be depended on late in the season.

Our interior OL consists of:
  • Stork: played very well his rookie season, didn't make a second year jump but he was on IR most the season so he is a near-rookie, hopefully he will make his jump next year.
  • Andrews: played better than expected as a rookie.
  • Mason: looked like he could be a future star except in Denver.
  • Jackson: played plenty of snaps early on and looked good, not so good late in the season.
  • Cooper: drafted number 10 overall, look great until he was injured, hasn't looked very good since.
  • Klein: played well early in the season, poorly later, probably he doesn't have much more upside.
Cohesiveness is crucial with an OL and the rookies and near-rookies had absolutely no cohesiveness because of injuries. I think they have promise this year.

Our OT's consist of:
  • Soldier, a very valuable above-average (i.e., top 10 or top 15) OT at a valued position (and one of the highest paid players on the team).
  • Volmer, one of the best OT in the league when healthy, but despite his toughness becoming injury prone and turning 32 in July at a position where the shelf life can be short (Ryan Clady and Jake Long used to be top OT's, now at 29 and 30 they have marginal value, and Matt Light retired at 33).
  • Many don't agree, but I think Cannon has mostly been a valuable back-up, but for whatever reason (couldn't hear the snaps, injured, just a bad match-up) had one of the all-time bad games for an OT against Denver, and wasn't that good late in the season either.
I agree our starting OT's are a good group, but clearly OT should probably be the main priority in the draft, Volmer is injury prone and turning 32 and Cannon looked like he couldn't be depended on late in the season.

Waddle?

I thought he was essentially unemployed when he was picked up, so I haven't paid too much attention to him, I figured he was strictly a fill-in replacement player. However, I am happy to be corrected. Do you think he has promise to become a reliable backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST