PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the 2-0 edition - the only stat that counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
4. General comments: I originally had 8 or nine of these before somehow I wasn't allowed to copy and paste. :rolleyes: I doubt I'll be able to or have the patience to recreate all of them, but that might be a good thing. ;)

a. I don't have much confidence in the Pats for this next game. In the best of times this additional aberration that the NFL has perpetrated on the public in ANOTHER of their money grabbing schemes, takes away the biggest advantage the Pats consistently have, and that is game preparation.

No team in the league gives their team better game plans on a consistent basis than the Pats. You can count on both hands the number of times when they have been out coached in the last 16 years. However the short 4 day week, even in the best of times, eliminates that advantage. The is a game where the best athletes are more important, and a coach cannot overcome that with a great plan.

The Texan's under the best of conditions would be a tough out, even at home. They have multiple great pass rushers, plus the best defensive player in the league who is slowly rounding into shape for our game. They also have a good HC, who unfortunately, is intimately familiar with our system.

NOW add the adversity of the short week, the rookie QB, and likely no Gronk, Hightower and whoever else got hurt today, and winning this game would be a greater upset than the Cardinal win.

Jacoby is going to get one practice and a walk through to completely assimilate a game plan that even a guy like with Brady's experience needs 3 full practices to feel comfortable.

I assume that a great deal of the Houston game plan was already in place prior to this week, but STILL, while Josh might have a good idea, Jacoby won't have a clue until tomorrow at the earliest.

Given this scenario, if Gronk isn't 11o% healthy, I wouldn't let him sniff the field on Thursday, because I'm thinking that it is only about a 35% chance that JG will be back for Buffalo, and I want a Rob Gronkowski who is chomping at the bit for THAT one.

b. JG's price just went up. The good news is that it's not broken, time will heal what ails him. In fact this injury INSURES his price because it will protect him against a possible bad game. Right now, every frame of film on him, is a great one (except for the fumble). His poise and leadership will be unquestioned. How could you NOT give up multiple firsts for a QB that you don't have to train, and STILL have very cheap for the first year. Of course this assumes the Pats still want to move him, but JB did nothing in HIS 2+ quarter to make you think that with 3 years of hard work, he won't be a good NFL QB too.

c. For almost 3 quarters I thought the refs had done a really good job in this game. In fact I made a note to find out who these guys were. They kept the game under control and there were a bare minimum of calls being made, including one I didn't really like that went in the Pats favor. Then over the last quarter plus of the game those same refs made 3 very weak assed calls against the Pats while at the same time ignoring similar calls against the Dolphins or worse.

The worst of these calls was the PI against Ryan that helped lead to a TD. On this play, Ryan clearly got to the spot first and the WR simply fell down trying to run through him, while never even looking back to the ball. As far as I know the PI rules there is NOTHING in this play that came close to being a PI. I looked closely in the replay to see if Logan pulled him down or tried to grab him, and there was nothing.

But even though it was a horrible call that led to a TD, I was prepared to forgive this crew for one horrid miscue. THEN came the 2 weakassed holding calls that killed 2 JB drives that had started well. It wasn't so much that they made these calls, even if I disagreed. What REALLY pissed me off was that I was seeing the same thing AND worse being committed by the Phins OL with nothing being called.

The only thing I ever want to see from the refs is equity. If you are going to throw it on the Pats, you'd better call it on the opponents and for 2 straight weeks this hasn't been the case. The Pats ended up with close to 70 yds in penalties, while if you take away the PF they HAD to call, the Phins had 4 for 35 away from home

d. And if you really want to fire up your NFL hatred, I just read where Aquib Talib will NOT be getting any NFL punishment DESPITE carrying a weapon illegally and having it go off in a public place. Didn't Plaxico go to JAIL for doing the same thing. I just don't get it. Do I have my fact straight? Do the Jets and Broncos just get free passes on these things :mad:

e. I can't tell you how happy I was to hear the NFL's rating were down across the board in the first week plus Thursday night game. I can't express my hate for that totally corrupt, lying, and disgraceful group. It makes my vow to never watch anything that this league puts out beyond Patriot games even more important. If it was gone tomorrow and I had to go to HS games to get my football fix, I'd be fine with it. Because of who they have running it, the NFL doesn't deserve to exist. I know I'm not alone in this.

f. Now the Pats are going to HAVE to sign a QB for the next 2 games. That being said, if I am wrong about Jimmy and there is a good chance for him to be there for Buffalo, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't sign anyone, and went with Julian as an emergency guy for Houston only. He knows the system, and you can't get ANYONE in here for one practice who would be better, unless the Titans want to let us borrow Matt Castle until for a week.

That being said, if there is ANY question about JG being ready for Buffalo, you HAVE to get someone. Even if its just to run the scout team.

f. I turned on channel 4 to watch 60 minutes and I happened to catch one play of the Denver Indy game. I figures that one play would be a critical PI penalty on Indy that was almost as bad as the one we had on Logan. :rolleyes: I couldn't turn it off fast enought
On the positive side, Houston doesn't have any real game tape on JB. I am reminded of how often the Pats defense has struggled against rookie QBs or backups making their first start.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Was it my imagination - or did I see Harbor in to throw three excellent run blocks (two outside run seals - including the Edwin Moses Memorial Hurdle Play and a wham) as part of that fourth quarter clock killing drive that lead to the missed field goal?

Once again a seemingly "baffling" roster move (keeping the extra tight end) comes up roses for BB down the line.

The play of Jimmy G reminds me of the play of Cassell, they play well in this O as we have the knowledge as to how to play to their strengths.. and do not put him in embarrassing situations. Remember "dink and dunk" Brady early on.. young QB's need confidence boosters for their journey.. too many times we see too high expectations for young QB's in other teams only to relegate them to the dustbin of NFL history.

Brissett played better than I expected, perhaps it had to do with lack of snaps with first team. He managed the game as best as could be expected, hats off to Parcell..

When we lost the aggressiveness on defense, then Miami started their comeback.. once they had them down need to keep foot on their throat... none of this prevent stuff.

Gostkowski missed a field goal, really??? Get all this stupid stuff out of your systems early ST'ers...

4 days is not a lot of time to bring in a qb to back up Brissett.

We are very lucky to experience the consistency in coaching that the NE Patriots have.. the same D and O philosophy with a few wrinkles..

Seems rare that we get out dueled in 2nd half adjustments. So, I'm hoping it just the defense going more to zone, though Tannehill seemed to have little problem with it.

It does drive me crazy to watch it happen, but then again it gave the NFL what it wanted and that was a sense of tension that the game was on the line.

I would prefer to just relax into the 4th quarter and enjoy my team dominate.

"h. Another plus that should be mentioned was we finally cracked our TO cherry. It ended up being a 4-1 win, and where would we have been without it."

The hell does that mean?

"I just read where Aquib Talib will NOT be getting any NFL punishment DESPITE carrying a weapon illegally and having it go off in a public place. Didn't Plaxico go to JAIL for doing the same thing. I just don't get it. "

What's not to get? Denver and NYC have very different gun laws. NYC has mandatory jail time for gun violations. Colorado does not.

"h. Another plus that should be mentioned was we finally cracked our TO cherry. It ended up being a 4-1 win, and where would we have been without it."

The hell does that mean?
He means the Pats won the turnover battle 4-1. It's worded badly, because 1) it's vulgar, and 2) it's worded in such a way to make it seem like the Pats finally got a turnover after a really long drought, as opposed to the one game it actually was.

Christian Fauria made what I thought was a interesting observation when they showed him the replay of the JG injury play. He said that would never happen to Brady because he knows how to position himself on how to fall.

That's something I've often wondered about, having no experience with football training. In the martial arts classes I've seen, there's a huge emphasis from day one on learning to fall properly -- they drill it over and over in multiple positions until it's instinctive. But of none of the scenarios involve falling safely with multiple large men falling on top of you, while keeping firm hold on a football. :eek:

Any insights on how football teaches falling? Is it position-specific, e.g. quarterbacks learning to protect their throwing arms?

That's something I've often wondered about, having no experience with football training. In the martial arts classes I've seen, there's a huge emphasis from day one on learning to fall properly -- they drill it over and over in multiple positions until it's instinctive. But of none of the scenarios involve falling safely with multiple large men falling on top of you, while keeping firm hold on a football. :eek:

Any insights on how football teaches falling? Is it position-specific, e.g. quarterbacks learning to protect their throwing arms?
No, PC, none at all. I just remember reading about it in some report that talked about how arduous and detailed Brady's off season program was. It struck me, at the time, as another example of how he leaves no stone unturned in his preparation. But I have no clue as to exactly what he actually does. However, since you mentioned it, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something similar to a martial arts drill.

No, PC, none at all. I just remember reading about it in some report that talked about how arduous and detailed Brady's off season program was. It struck me, at the time, as another example of how he leaves no stone unturned in his preparation. But I have no clue as to exactly what he actually does. However, since you mentioned it, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something similar to a martial arts drill.

In judo one of the first things they teach you is to slap the mat with (usually) one arm as you're falling. Indeed, there's a lot of rolling -- i.e. somersaulting -- practice connected with that. At least, that's how it was when I took a judo class 50 years ago.

I also took an ice skating class around the same time. There wasn't any explicit instruction about falling, but I sure got some practice in.

The key to falling safely, in my opinion, is:
  • Don't brace the fall in unsafe ways (e.g. by putting your hand out).
  • In general, go limp and relaxed ...
  • ... perhaps with limited, necessary exceptions.
In judo, the exception would be the targeted mat slap. In football, it would be to hold onto the football for dear life. On a city sidewalk, it might be to ensure that what you're carrying lands on top of you, especially if it's valuable and breakable.

It seems to me that some type of training on how to relax properly when you fall would be unbelievably beneficial to players, particularly QB's. Think of how valuable it would be to the Cowboys if some type of "how to fall properly training" could cut Romo's injuries by 30%, for example (or, for that matter, Jimmy G.). Could anyone find more information on this? Or, does some poster have connections with Reiss so that he could ask this question of Brady. I'm very curious about what Brady does.

f. Now the Pats are going to HAVE to sign a QB for the next 2 games. That being said, if I am wrong about Jimmy and there is a good chance for him to be there for Buffalo, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't sign anyone, and went with Julian as an emergency guy for Houston only. He knows the system, and you can't get ANYONE in here for one practice who would be better, unless the Titans want to let us borrow Matt Castle until for a week.

That being said, if there is ANY question about JG being ready for Buffalo, you HAVE to get someone. Even if its just to run the scout team.

Great minds think alike, Ken.
I'd posted elsewhere...
"Former QB The Squirrel will be our backup.
If JAG can throw a pass to himself and catch it, my man The Squirrel can do the same.
OK, Bennett & Gronk will be wicked pissed with no targets.
Opposing DCs will not be able to counter this surprise offense.
The NYJFC Competition Committee will have an emergency meeting to out law it, but too late as Brady will be returning."

I'm sure you'll agree. :)

I don't think there are enough words to express how good Jimmy was yesterday. If I could put it as simply as possible, if he was wearing number 12, many of us would be talking about another classic Brady game. He was that good. His two misses were even classic Brady misses, throwing long on deep balls where no one else could get it.

That said, the skill positions we have right now are tailor maid to space a defense, and win one-on-one battles. Having Bennett blocking and catching, amendola as a 3-4 receiver and slippin Jimmy white and Dj foster as change of pace backs is something that would give every young qb success.

With that said, his decision making was flawless, this throws were as accurate as you will see, and his ability to hunt out defensive weaknesses was incredibly impressive. His first touchdown pass to amendola was a WOW throw, and that wasn't the only one.

All that to say, I was counting first rounders in my head last week. Now? I don't know, but if he goes it's going to have to be a kings ransom. He really has been that impressive and it's just the beginning for him. Could be scary how good he will be.

3.)I thought you couldn't land with your entire body weight on the qb anymore? How did kiko get away with that?

Just my memory, so I could be wrong, but I think the rule is that you can't do one of those: "pick the QB up and drive him into the turf" moves. I think it would be pretty difficult to have a rule saying you can't land with your full weight on the QB, too subjective.

Exhibit A...

That was just ridiculous. I laughed out loud at the heavyweight-division hurdling exhibition -- but don't do it again, big guy. :)

I'm not sure I want to practice "relaxing" while I'm being ridden to the ground by an angry 250+ person. Though, you'd have practice falling into a cheese pit to avoid injuries (as you can only take so many of those before something pops)

:D

Spot on Ken....but.....I'm not ready to label the NE defense "really good" ....far from it. The pass rush is nonexistent and this defense resembles the Bend and Break defenses that Manning carved up with ease a few years ago.
That being said, I have hope that this defense will be able to scheme more to increase QB pressure once Hightower returns. Now that NE has to deploy a #3 QB, this defense needs to offer more resistance and less bend.

PS....loved Blount's work horse effort...but wished McDaniels mixed in more play calling that resembled the first series of the 3rd quarter when Brissett effectively lead a scoring drive via air and ground. That was Josh at his best and JB responded positively. Can't wait to see the kid go again

PSS.....Having watched JG in preseason for a few years and now 2 starts, my skepticism had nothing to do with his skill level and everything to do with his body type. IMO, he doesn't have a body frame that can withstand shots week in and week out...IMO. Obviously, the key is to avoid contact and TB12 with his particular frame has learned how to remain upright. Yesterday, I had flashes of Romo and broken collarbones and an inability to make it through long hard seasons. Here's hoping my trepidations are off the mark....but JG is slight of build compared to most NFL QBs

Should be noted that Arizona put up some serious points (46?) on the Bucs (who many thought would be very competitive). The Bend but Don't Break defense is maddening and didn't seem to give our defense any advantage, other than possibly, chewing time (which is huge, but you know we all hate having "one of those" plays not go our way).

Exhibit A...

Thanks for that clip OR, it's something that you can watch over and over and it doesn't get old (like us ;) ). But almost equally as impressive as the leap, was the fact that after he got what he could he didn't take the easy way out and go out of bounds, but ran into the contact to stay in bounds and keep the clock running. That is an example of a very small detail that BB will love because it wins football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back