PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NFL experiencing an O-line crisis?

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Great piece from @AdamKilgoreWP on the NFL's O-line crisis and how it's leading to early offensive struggles

Atrocious offensive line play, in many ways, harms the viewing experience more than terrible quarterback play. A cruddy quarterback behind an adequate line will make bad decisions and poor throws and fail to score points, but those mistakes occur within the flow of an otherwise pleasant game. An adequate quarterback behind a horrible line doesn’t even have the chance to initiate what fans would recognize as football. He’s just engulfed by chaos.

The drop in quality line play has already reshaped NFL offenses, in subtle fashion. Last year, quarterbacks averaged 8.25 yards per throw in the air, the shortest average pass in the past decade, at least. Running backs and slot receivers are catching more passes than at any point in recent memory. Quarterbacks and coordinators have little choice — with less time to throw, dump-offs and checkdowns are the best, safest options.

The NFL is fundamentally changing, for the worse. It could use more and better quarterbacks. It more badly needs better linemen to protect them, to give them a chance and to make the sport palatable.

Other articles and observations...

All these players come from the collegiate system, which over the years has become far more wide open, quick moving, and almost a different game entirely. While you still get some teams that run the “pro style” offense with a variety of techniques and formations, most are wide open shotgun offenses with linemen in two-point stances most of the time and working with a two-second clock in mind in protections. In the NFL there’s no such leeway. Every team works under center, requiring new mechanics, angles and instincts that a blocker simply hasn’t had to work with before.

The transition from the college to the pros is stark for every player with the exception of maybe running backs, but for offensive linemen it can mean learning to play effectively an entirely different game.

You’ll never get colleges going back to a two-back, run-dominant offense because unless you are Alabama or Wisconsin you can’t consistently recruit 300-pound monsters for a mauling offensive line. And so to get any offense to work with a light offensive line you have to spread it out and get rid of the ball quickly.

It’s a style of offense that Seattle tried to play, but against an NFL defense it was hard work for anyone to take short catches and turn them into long gains, and when Russell Wilson did try to hold onto the ball Mike Daniels and the rest were on him.

There is no clear answer to the problems the likes of Houston, Seattle, and the Giants are facing. With the draft becoming more pot luck than science on the offensive line and the college system continuing to ill-prepare a lot of linemen for the NFL it is hard to see where they can really take the strides they need. For all the talented ball carriers those sides have, their offenses stalled over and over again because they couldn’t make the blocks they needed to, and it is going to scupper their season.

Last edited:
Interesting. I was listening to the Ringer NFL show today and I believe they had a similar take.

It could be a bit of an early-season headline grab situation - things don't have to stay as bad as they were last week.

It kinda puts Dante Scarnecchia's rise to stardom over the last few seasons into a little more context. He was always good and has steadily improved (especially relative to his peer group of coaches) to the point where he's head and shoulders above the competition and we're at the point where fans of other teams know who coaches the Patriots' OL.

I'd be interested to know how many OTs by origin are playing snaps as a 2nd TE (or 1st) in certain formations. Wouldn't be surprised if the number is increasing rapidly over the last years.

But the substandard offensive play could be the first glimpse of a wider trend resulting from a confluence of factors, including a decline in offensive line play, an influx of explosive and dynamic defensive linemen, and a shortage of franchise-caliber quarterbacks.

The NFL’s Crisis on Offense

For those teams with bad offensive lines who can’t just line up with their five guys and block a four-man rush, they must ask the quarterback to get rid of the ball quickly or utilize a “max protect” blocking scheme, i.e., keep running backs and tight ends in to help slow those rushers. In those cases, it may help slow the pass rush down, but it leaves a major disadvantage downfield, as Brian Baldinger explained here.

Last edited:
the big problem is teams are too impatient with O-lines.

they dont keep the same 5 together and let them go through the lumps of learning each other and building cohesion as a unit.

Instead they are constantly swapping guys in or changing a players position (G to T or left to right) and resetting the chemistry clock constantly. Same way you'd expect a WR to struggle if you made them play as a blocking TE.

O-line play is as much about knowing and trusting the guys next to you as it is your own play. If you know the other 4 know their job and execute, you can concentrate on your own job and the line overall will be good. When you have guys worrying about rushers that arent their assignment because they dont know if others will pick them up, they fail to do their own job and the line fails.

Having been an offensive lineman through college (not at pro level though guys I played with made it to the pros) at the high school level, it is just a matter of who will be big enough. The Dante's of the world worked at the college level and grabbed the giant high school kids who were the right size and trainable Unlike "Skilled Positions" in football, many if not most lineman who could make it can't play before high school because size limits in things like Pop Warner. I was able to play in a town league in 4th and 5th grade, then was too big for Pop Warner so was out till high school where as a Freshman I was as tall and big as the seniors. The Town league is long gone now all replaced by soccer.

I wonder how much if any this is an element of kids not playing as much because of CTE concerns of parents. The 2017 draft class would have been 2012 or 2013 high school graduates so they would have entered high school football in 2008 or 2009. Timeline: The NFL’s Concussion Crisis – League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis - FRONTLINE

The one thing I know it is not is if there are enough kids the right size. I was much bigger than almost everyone growing up but when I walk around now I see so many kids who are tall now it is interesting. These kids all played soccer though. I started in football at 4th grade as a lineman. That does not happen now really. The pros are basically having to train lineman the way they use to be trained as red shirt freshman in college.

Most people blame the rise of the spread offense at the college level. Many of the lineman coming out of college now, have no experience in NFL style offenses, zone blocking, drive blocks, reach blocks, pulling, and straight drop back pass protection.

The spread offense is basically the same play over and over again, they spread the field out and basically just work on cutting off the defensive lineman's path to the ball carrier. So not only do they lack technique, the NFL lacks an ability to effectively scout them. A perfect example is Shaq Mason, although he didn't come from a spread offense, he played at Georgia Tech in basically a wishbone offense. So BB knew he could run block, the big question is could he pass protect? Nobody really knew, because he never had to do it in college. Luckily for the Pats he has worked out great, but it was all pure conjecture when he was drafted. I think that is why a guy like Andrews who wasn't highly touted coming out of Georgia has found great success in the NFL. Georgia is one of a few college teams that run a NFL style offense. I would think that teams like Georgia, Stanford, FSU, etc. that run more Pro style offenses are going to see more of their offensive lineman drafted. I would bet in a few years Michigan will be putting out o-lineman at a record pace.

At work but honestly nothing new. This is a major issue thays been going on for a decade now. I and most draft geeks have been saying the same for a long time. Olinemen are 2nd hardest group to eval coming out behind QB.

Imagine drafting a QB that has been under center less than 50 times in his high school and college career?

That's what happens every year now and it's basically the same thing for Olinemen.

Crisis sounds click bait-ish or lazy. (Not aiming that at the OP. Good thread)

I'm not sure how much weight to put on the college angle. How many OL players are drafted each year? 30? How many OL players play at the College level? 500? Just some thoughts.

The factors that affect any position are:

1. Coaching
2. Salary Cap management
3. Talent + experience.
4. Injuries
5. Drafting

Seattle (32), the Texans (30), and the Giants (23) rank at the bottom of the league in O-line spending. Pats rank 24th. KC ranked 13th fwiw.

NFL Offensive Line Spending - Cap

Defensive line spending:

NFL Defensive Line Spending - Cap

...A perfect example is Shaq Mason, although he didn't come from a spread offense, he played at Georgia Tech in basically a wishbone offense. So BB knew he could run block, the big question is could he pass protect? Nobody really knew, because he never had to do it in college. Luckily for the Pats he has worked out great...
Mason still can't pass-block very well.

Most people blame the rise of the spread offense at the college level. Many of the lineman coming out of college now, have no experience in NFL style offenses, zone blocking, drive blocks, reach blocks, pulling, and straight drop back pass protection.

The spread offense is basically the same play over and over again, they spread the field out and basically just work on cutting off the defensive lineman's path to the ball carrier. So not only do they lack technique, the NFL lacks an ability to effectively scout them. A perfect example is Shaq Mason, although he didn't come from a spread offense, he played at Georgia Tech in basically a wishbone offense. So BB knew he could run block, the big question is could he pass protect? Nobody really knew, because he never had to do it in college. Luckily for the Pats he has worked out great, but it was all pure conjecture when he was drafted. I think that is why a guy like Andrews who wasn't highly touted coming out of Georgia has found great success in the NFL. Georgia is one of a few college teams that run a NFL style offense. I would think that teams like Georgia, Stanford, FSU, etc. that run more Pro style offenses are going to see more of their offensive lineman drafted. I would bet in a few years Michigan will be putting out o-lineman at a record pace.

I think this is a good post. It takes time for college OLinemen to get up to speed in the NFL game. In the meanwhile, defenses are teeing off.

And this is why Dante Scarnecchia is probably the most valuable assistant in the NFL. Offensive linemen come into the league now needing more coaching than ever before, and if you have someone that can get four starter-caliber linemen out of the likes of David Andrews, Joe Thuney, Shaq Mason, Tre Jackson, and Marcus Cannon, then you're putting your team at a huge advantage.

I do find it interesting that the one lineman Scar couldn't work his magic on, Jackson, was the one who came from a pro-style offense. Although I guess, like with Stork, background doesn't matter when you can't get and stay healthy.

A few posters mention Dante.

BINGO!!!

Remember life without him? Since he is aging, I hope that he is coaching a future coach as well as coaching the players.

Crisis sounds click bait-ish or lazy. (Not aiming that at the OP. Good thread)

I'm not sure how much weight to put on the college angle. How many OL players are drafted each year? 30? How many OL players play at the College level? 500? Just some thoughts.

The factors that affect any position are:

1. Coaching
2. Salary Cap management
3. Talent + experience.
4. Injuries
5. Drafting

Seattle (32), the Texans (30), and the Giants (23) rank at the bottom of the league in O-line spending. Pats rank 24th. KC ranked 13th fwiw.

NFL Offensive Line Spending - Cap

Defensive line spending:

NFL Defensive Line Spending - Cap

I think it's absolutely a result from coaching and the college game.

You just don't see olinemen exploding from their stance, snapping their hips and finishing blocks anymore at a young (er) age. Among other things.

Just like the QB their not down in the dirt or under center nearly as much.

Conversely you have better athletes playing along the line, at the RUSH position to make their job that much harder.

A few posters mention Dante.

BINGO!!!

Remember life without him? Since he is aging, I hope that he is coaching a future coach as well as coaching the players.
I mentioned Scar above, and am very happy he's around. However, DeGuglilemo helped the team win a Super Bowl. Veteran line there, aside from Stork, but have to give the man his due.

You got bingo!;)

I think it's absolutely a result from coaching and the college game.

You just don't see olinemen exploding from their stance, snapping their hips and finishing blocks anymore at a young (er) age. Among other things.

Just like the QB their not down in the dirt or under center nearly as much.

Conversely you have better athletes playing along the line, at the RUSH position to make their job that much harder.

I can't argue with you about the college angle and the rawness of an offensive lineman entering the league. I'll submit to your knowledge in that area and just say I agree that it's a part of the issue. But I'm still not sure how much of an issue it really is.

Question: How long would you say that was an issue? The last 15 or so years? I don't know.

I checked total sacks in the NFL during four seasons and don't see a significant difference. (I know that sacks isn't the only factor but it was the only stat I could find for every team on one site atm. )

Team Sacks and Sack Yards: 2016 NFL Season

2009 - 1101
2010 - 1130
2015 - 1187
2016 - 1118

I do think teams balance their cap expenditures differently. We still had top ten Offensive lines last season.

I just took a quick look. 7 of the top ten passing teams (FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis) ranked in the top 11 cap expense for the offensive line. 6 of the bottom ten passing teams ranked in the bottom 11 cap expense for the offensive line.

I'm not saying it's the only factor. I know rookie contracts, injuries skews ranking and stats etc. I also know coaching is a huge factor so am just adding to the discussion with this.

upload_2017-9-13_16-59-35.png

Mason still can't pass-block very well.

vs Kansas City
Mason showed his usual power at the point of attack while also cutting down linebackers at the second level like he was back in Georgia Tech’s option offense. Mason also stayed clean in pass protection, other than a quick loss to Justin Houston that did not lead to an official pressure

Your shtick is old, piss off.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back