PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NFL experiencing an O-line crisis?

I can't argue with you about the college angle and the rawness of an offensive lineman entering the league. I'll submit to your knowledge in that area and just say I agree that it's a part of the issue. But I'm still not sure how much of an issue it really is.

Question: How long would you say that was an issue? The last 15 or so years? I don't know.

I checked total sacks in the NFL during four seasons and don't see a significant difference. (I know that sacks isn't the only factor but it was the only stat I could find for every team on one site atm. )

Team Sacks and Sack Yards: 2016 NFL Season

2009 - 1101
2010 - 1130
2015 - 1187
2016 - 1118

I do think teams balance their cap expenditures differently. We still had top ten Offensive lines last season.

I just took a quick look. 7 of the top ten passing teams (FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis) ranked in the top 11 cap expense for the offensive line. 6 of the bottom ten passing teams ranked in the bottom 11 cap expense for the offensive line.

I'm not saying it's the only factor. I know rookie contracts, injuries skews ranking and stats etc. I also know coaching is a huge factor so am just adding to the discussion with this.

View attachment 17977

Sorry for late response but like a lot of things it's a combo of things. Most of which you alluded to.

I def believe that it starts in college though. The style, the things their asked to accomplish on a certain play.

You see it every Sunday when young and even vets forget to or half ass their first block in hurry to get to the 2nd level against the LB'S. Mostly because that's what they've been doing in college.

Not explode, roll into leverage and move your man. Then search and destroy on the 2nd level.

vs Kansas City
Mason showed his usual power at the point of attack while also cutting down linebackers at the second level like he was back in Georgia Tech’s option offense. Mason also stayed clean in pass protection, other than a quick loss to Justin Houston that did not lead to an official pressure

Your shtick is old, piss off.

He's so close to becoming a great linemen.

NFL Channel...Sirius Radio...channel 88

already heard the segment....my reaction? meh...let's see what the state of NFL O lines is in early November. The first couple of games this season are actually what used to be called pre-season games, where the 1st unit works out the kinks.

I mentioned Scar above, and am very happy he's around. However, DeGuglilemo helped the team win a Super Bowl. Veteran line there, aside from Stork, but have to give the man his due.

Dave D was hired because he had a solid resume. For some reason his methods did not resonate during his second year with the Patriots.

Dave D was hired because he had a solid resume. For some reason his methods did not resonate during his second year with the Patriots.

Googs may not have been the best coach to develop the young players drafted in 2015. In fairness, the lineman dealt with a very bad stretch of injuries, and it didn't seem like there was enough continuity for the line to have any cohesion.

Scar deserves every last bit of credit for helping this team win a Super Bowl. It's amazing what he's done for this franchise over the years!

Last edited:
We were lucky to have Karras pass through waivers. Belichick took a big chance.

After all, there were several veterans who would have agreed to wait a day to be signed.

Last edited:
Scar deserves every last bit of credit for helping this team win a Super Bowl. It's amazing what he's done for this franchise over the years!
Especially when one considers with what he's had to work, particularly during this decade.

Last edited:
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, so it may have been mentioned already;
I think I read some articles, or maybe another poster linked it.?

Anyway, it talked about how the defense friendly penalties are not helping.

They are not up to par with the size and aggressiveness of todays defenses. I mean, look at the size of the corners these days.

These rules were introduced when the there were not enough points being scored.

I really think the holding calls need to be lightened up on the O linemen.
There's such a fine line between doing your job and "Holding" on the O line. Very skewed.

Times have changed.
It's time to level the playing field on the 2 opposing lines. IMO

Im sure this bodes well for what it will cost us to extend Solder lol

I guess Nate Solder will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Interesting. I was listening to the Ringer NFL show today and I believe they had a similar take.

It could be a bit of an early-season headline grab situation - things don't have to stay as bad as they were last week.

It kinda puts Dante Scarnecchia's rise to stardom over the last few seasons into a little more context. He was always good and has steadily improved (especially relative to his peer group of coaches) to the point where he's head and shoulders above the competition and we're at the point where fans of other teams know who coaches the Patriots' OL.
Or maybe the competition has declined and Scarnecchia has made sure we do not.

So, we have a crisis because we almost break a record that is a year old?
Total sacks alone isn't enough without knowing how many pass attempts it took to reach that number. I wish that sacks per attempt were more easily visible, as well as sacks per 3rd-down attempt.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back