PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins could hold up NFL settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that everybody is giving Mankins grief. The Krafts have had all the power for the last couple of years. Mankins sat out most of last year rather than accept the Franchise Tag. Does anyone here really think he cares on bit about the Krafts? He has stated publicly that they reneged on some agreement.

As far what the others players think about Mankins I am betting he does not really care?
Mark Sanchez does not like him? Booo Hooo. Pats fans don't like him, so what? Seriously,
too many people fail to understand that this is a cut throat buisness.

Mankins will get what he wants. When the NFL looks at the prospect of loosing pre-season games due to this there will be an accomodation made.

If you don't know or can't understand why EVERYONE is giving him grief than you really don't understand the issue or to use an old movie quote "are you obtuse?".

Mankins should have NO beef with anyone but his own union. It might be unfortunate that he was caught up in a numbers game and had to spend an extra year as a RFA. and he might not like being franchised, but all those thing were the RULES. The owners being able to opt out were IN THE RULES. These are RULES that both parties AGREED to.

Just because its its inconvenient for Mankins and a few others, why does HE have the right to try and extort money with some threat that has NOTHING to do with anyone but him....and a few others

BTW Im still waiting for find out what he actually CAN do to try and derail this deal. As I see it all he has a right to do is to vote yea or nay when the time comes. If the vote is to accept the plan, what could he do except file as an individual, AND on what basis could he possibly win.

I don't see how this is even an issue since, again, what can he do.

Someone please help me out here

Last edited:

stock-photo-single-green-door-closed-door-frame-only-no-walls-31875358.jpg

;)

If you don't know or can't understand why EVERYONE is giving him grief than you really don't understand the issue or to use an old movie quote "are you obtuse?".

Mankins should have NO beef with anyone but his own union. It might be unfortunate that he was caught up in a numbers game and had to spend an extra year as a RFA. and he might not like being franchised, but all those thing were the RULES. The owners being able to opt out were IN THE RULES. These are RULES that both parties AGREED to.

Just because its its inconvenient for Mankins and a few others, why does HE have the right to try and extort money with some threat that has NOTHING to do with anyone but him....and a few others

BTW Im still waiting for find out what he actually CAN do to try and derail this deal. As I see it all he has a right to do is to vote yea or nay when the time comes. If the vote is to accept the plan, what could he do except file as an individual, AND on what basis could he possibly win.

I don't see how this is even an issue since, again, what can he do.

Mankins hasn't said or done anything to derail the deal so people are simply making sh.t up and throwing it at the wall.

Mankins hasn't asked for anything according to Schefter 10 seconds ago. This deal will be done in short time and nothing is going to stop it from happening.

If that's true, my apologies to Mankins. :)

Vincent Jackson is being the a-hole, via Schefter, he wants a $10 Million Settlement, BOOO.

EDIT: Yep, Mankins too. Schefter doesn't know specifics yet.

Last edited:
No, that's not what he said. What he said is unlike Jackson Mankins hasn't requested any financial settlement. Jackson is looking for $10M or no tag. Mankins is apparently looking for no tag. Brees and Manning (or more likely Condon) has now entered the fray requesting no franchise tag (which would have to be going forward if the league even considered it for all because no way Polian will let Manning out of his present tag...and tagged twice won't work since Peyton was briefly tagged in 2004 (which clearly proved what a travesty franchise tags represent since it only resulted in his signing a 9 year $108M deal with $34.5M in signing bonus money that same year...).

Media twitter speculation is rampant that Ben Leber will request all green M&M's and Brady will demand all the Victoria Secret models be his...or as Bedard suggests Cape Cod be deeded over to him.

Somebody needs to remind the plaintiff's and their lawyer Kessler or their agents that their case hasn't even been to trial yet let alone won them any kind of judgement...

Frankly I bet Brady is shaking his head because all he wants is to get back to work.

Last edited:
The "agreement" that the Pats supposedly reneged on was that Kraft and Co. promised to address his contract situaton after the season ended and that they would take care of him. They offered him a contract that would have made him the 3rd highest paid Guard in the league. And for that, Kraft and Co. became liars, I mean after all how dare the cheap bastards come to the table with such an insulting offer? :rolleyes:

Not an insulting offer it was a travesty of an offer. ;)

I find the anti-Mankins sentiments in this thread way too emotional and shortsighted. Frustration with an entire offseason of lockout is being irrationally focused against Mankins.

I sincerely doubt either Kraft or Belichick will hold this against Mankins one bit. Business is business, and Mankins (or his agent) is just trying to get the best deal they can for themselves.

Last edited:
Duh! I fergot that Manning is also franchised so I'm reversing my prediction that Goodell in a move to screw the Pats gets 31 owners to let Mankins escape the slavery of Franchise Tag because no way Polian lets Goody put Peyton on the market. There are a handful of clubs with LOTS of cap room.

Duh! I fergot that Manning is also franchised so I'm reversing my prediction that Goodell in a move to screw the Pats gets 31 owners to let Mankins escape the slavery of Franchise Tag because no way Polian lets Goody put Peyton on the market. There are a handful of clubs with LOTS of cap room.

And there's several teams without much cap room at all...including the Indianapolis Colts.

I'm surprised Manning is doing this. He wants to remain a Colt and the Colts want him back. He already has so much leverage as it is due to how high his franchise tag is. He can just point to the tag and say "pay me this much per year over X amount of years." Are the Colts really going to say no? How much more does he really get out from them by getting the tag removed?

Last edited:
Mankins hasn't asked for anything according to Schefter 10 seconds ago. This deal will be done in short time and nothing is going to stop it from happening.

I was hoping it was Kessler grandstanding, and it sounds like it was. Mankins minus the contract disagreement / holdout situation has always come across like a good guy. I didn't want to think that he was actually pushing for this, because that would cement that he is truly a mental midget that is greedy and selfish.

Last edited:
I would think people might hesitate a little after last year's hold-out stories that Mankins was out ropin' doggies and nowhere to be found when he was actually in Massachusetts pretty much the whole time in contact with the other linemen. Now he is Dr. Evil contemplating how to destroy the NFL if it does not meet his demands.

Frankly, I'll wait to see what happens when this CBA negotiation ends. If there is anything true of media speculation in terms of Mankins, it tends to be that it is misinformed.

I find the anti-Mankins sentiments in this thread way too emotional and shortsighted. Frustration with an entire offseason of lockout is being irrationally focused against Mankins.

I sincerely doubt either Kraft or Belichick will hold this against Mankins one bit. Business is business, and Mankins (or his agent) is just trying to get the best deal they can for themselves.

I only will blame him if he actually derails the process. Trying to use his name on the lawsuit to leverage something extra is a little ridiculous, but I don't blame him from trying. Going beyond that and stopping the deal from going through is a whole different sack of potatoes though.

And regardless, players have been holding out and demanding trades and all this other bull**** for years because they don't like the system which they helped put into place. My favorite is when they take a huge bonus up front in lieu of higher salaries and then claim 2 years later that they are 'underpaid'.

Yes, but to the players credit they can be cut at any time and only receive the guaranteed money. It is a two way street IMO. But I hear what you are saying on the underpaid issue. I to hate that, they take the big bonus because it is usually guaranteed and then whine about being underpaid.

Last edited:
The 2006 CBA extension was done on March 9th of 2006 - he most definitely was in the NFL. Honestly, whether he voted against it (doubtful)or not is irrelevent; his union voted for it. So as a group, the players approved a CBA extension that allowed the owners to opt out. End of story, if he has a problem with the 6th year RFA issue then he needs to send a letter to his fellow players, maybe he can call the player reps liars too.

I'm failing to see your argument here. :confused:

ther eis no argument.....mankins alone did not have the power to deny the voting of the CBA.......like I said, maybe he did vote against it.

but the fact is that the owners decision to opt out was the actual action that made mankins be an RFA instead of a FA. I have no problem with mankins taking exception to the way things worked out and then following it up with an attempt to recoup some of that money.

I actually take more exception to the fact that brady has his name on the lawsuit even though he is under contract for several upcoming years.

I would not pass up on any opportunity to squeeze 10M out of the other side for my own behalf.......if you would not do the same in his spot, it is only because you're a homer or incredibly stupid

john hannah is a hero around these parts, and what did he do? he sat out while under contract until the pats ponied up 38 grand......then he came back. yeh......real classy guy

Last edited:
Brees and Manning are reportedly looking for lifetime exclusion from the franchise tag. They are looking to gain something for being on the list. Mankins and Jackson, OTOH, are just seeking to right a wrong done them by their teams last season. If San Diego and New England had treated the players the way they should have, this wouldn't be any kind of issue. Instead, the teams decided to screw over their players, and we're now seeing the results of that. I hope the players get their wish, whether it be a cash increase to make up for what they lost last year, or free agency without the tags.

Brees and Manning are reportedly looking for lifetime exclusion from the franchise tag. They are looking to gain something for being on the list. Mankins and Jackson, OTOH, are just seeking to right a wrong done them by their teams last season. If San Diego and New England had treated the players the way they should have, this wouldn't be any kind of issue. Instead, the teams decided to screw over their players, and we're now seeing the results of that. I hope the players get their wish, whether it be a cash increase to make up for what they lost last year, or free agency without the tags.

at a minimum, they do have a point of contention

Not knowing the details of the Mankin's offer for a long term contract, only Mankins and his agent know if he was stiffed or just greedy..........BB and Pats went by the rules and Logan or his agent didn't like it after he held out and got docked $$$$......

If the offer was in the neighborhood of $7.5mil/year and a signing bonus, how is that a bad deal? NOBODY knows the length of the contract as far as I know...

As an aside, those who were pointing to Florio earlier should take note of the difference in tone in the articles posted by Rosenthal, especially now that Manning/Brees are also reportedly asking for a little something. It's an interesting difference in approaches over there at PFT.

Were the Patriots not doing what was within their rights? Mankins and Jackson were screwed by the system - not their teams for taking advantage of it. Football is too competitive to put principle above winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News