PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins could hold up NFL settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selfish, self absorbed jerks... Mankins and Jackson ARE attempting to hold up the settlement unless they can extort something ($10M cash or UFA) out of their respective teams...

If Mankins doesn't back off I really don't have any interest in him remaining here on a long term basis.

Mankins, Jackson make demands that could halt deal - Extra Points - Boston.com

Unreal. I can't believe what's more shocking - that Borges actually predicted something correctly or that Mankins would have the audacity to hold up this agreement for completely selfish reasons. It's truly sickening.

That said - if we've learned anything over the last couple years, its that Mankins' agent is an unrivaled jacka** and moron. I don't begrudge Mankins himself for this move as I do Frank Bauer.

Either way, it has to make you sick. A lot of people on both sides have put in an awful lot of exhausting effort, and now, without having contributed anything himself, Mankins is holding it up.

I do.......he's a good player.

Not good enough to be worth the aggrevation he causes. Reportedly the owners are pretty dug in that they will not agree to these demands. Notice Manning and the others haven't joined the chorus. Just the two resentful 2010 problem children 6th year RFA's because their union agreed to it... Jackson has reportedly privately told sources he will back down if forced to accept the tag. Mankins on the other hand is believed to be willing to back any play his agent makes. Both Bauer and Schwartz are considered hardline agents who don't care if they piss people off... No kidding...

After all he's put into brokering a deal I could see Kraft washing BB's hands of Logan if this actually delays or derails an agreement. The players want all sorts of TC concessions so they can catch up before the real work begins, so this impacts them too. And if it costs them a pre season game the owners will make sure they know their cut drops by $100M a week and that will impact the cap for the other 1900.

Bedard just asked the legal eagles on twitter if these two can hold up a settlement. ABrandt says that they cannot, they can only opt out of the class... So this may be merely a self inflicted PR black eye for the two self absorbed plaintiffs.

Last edited:
Not good enough to be worth the aggrevation he causes. Reportedly the owners are pretty dug in that they will not agree to these demands. Notice Manning and the others haven't joined the chorus. Just the two resentful 2010 problem children 6th year RFA's because their union agreed to it... Jackson has reportedly privately told sources he will back down if forced to accept the tag. Mankins on the other hand is believed to be willing to back any play his agent makes. Both Bauer and Schwartz are considered hardline agents who don't care if they piss people off... No kidding...

After all he's put into brokering a deal I could see Kraft washing BB's hands of Logan if this actually delays or derails an agreement. The players want all sorts of TC concessions so they can catch up before the real work begins, so this impacts them too. And if it costs them a pre season game the owners will make sure they know their cut drops by $100M a week and that will impact the cap for the other 1900.

I wonder what the pats would have looked like if they didn't yield to john hannah and leon gray......

you can't keep letting your best players walk and expect to be competitive come playoff time.....the difference between mankins and no mankins was quite glaring last year.

some players are worth the hassle........right now, mankins is. if you are replacing your entire left side, then expect your offense to struggle.

Bedard just asked the legal eagles on twitter if these two can hold up a settlement. ABrandt says that they cannot, they can only opt out of the class... So this may be merely a self inflicted PR black eye for the two self absorbed plaintiffs.

self-absorbed players.....gee, what a notion.......

the owners are not self-absorbed, right?

This whole thing makes no sense to me. Two players are going to hold the negotiations hostage? And the other players are going to go along with it?

And what about all of the other players who have been franchised this year? Their name isn't on some law suit so they get nothing while Mankins and Jackson get rewarded for what? Signing their name to a piece of paper? What exactly have those 2 guys done to move this forward?

They happened to get unlucky timing-wise due to a CBA that THE PLAYERS SIGNED. They act like they had the Franchise Tag and all of this other stuff shoved down their throat. This is the deal they agreed to.

What about Von Miller? He's on the lawsuit isn't he? Does he get to bypass the new rookie salary rules?

And what about Peyton? Is his Franchise Tag gone as well?

The whole ting is utter bull****. There should be a few thousand other players telling these guys to shut up take their 10 million this year and be happy.

Also if players are pushing back so much on crap like this, the owners should be putting draconian rules in place for players who hold out while under contract (not necessarily talking about Manks and Jackson last year because they had every right to not sign their tender). But any player ('cough' Chris Johnson) who holds out while he has a contract should get smacked hard.

The Union only plays by the rules when it helps them and ignore them otherwise.

I wonder what the pats would have looked like if they didn't yield to john hannah and leon gray......

you can't keep letting your best players walk and expect to be competitive come playoff time.....the difference between mankins and no mankins was quite glaring last year.

some players are worth the hassle........right now, mankins is. if you are replacing your entire left side, then expect your offense to struggle.

Remind me what that yield gained them in the final analysis...

The difference was so glaring we flipped another problem child in the interim and then he returned early, and in the end he wasn't a difference maker cause we flopped again in the post season. Remind me again how many rings we've won in the Mankins era....

.I don't think this whole thing makes any sense for Mankins. They CANNOT hold up the deal. The rule is that if half the NFLPA members, the deal is done for ALL the NFLPA members. The named plaintiffs don't have any special powers. Though it is true that Mankins and Jackson COULD if they choose, refile their complaint independently. But to what end. What would be their legal argument? That their own union conspired with the NFL to keep them out of FA longer? That the deal that was binding on everyone else in the "union" isn't binding on them?

I say let them do their worst. They will only be hurting themselves. In the meantime both would be walking away from franchise money that guarantees them lifetime financial security....unless they choose to piss it away.

Logan Mankins has been portrayed as a man of principle. IF its true, and there is nothing that is coming from Mankins OR his agent. It just shows how much BS that portrayal really is. IF ITS TRUE, then Mankins real legacy is that of greed and selfishness.

IMHO, this is a great deal for the players. They got some amazing concessions. If 2 guys want to try and hold it up so they can EXTORT even more money just for them at the expense of 1498 of their peers then......SHAME ON THEM

....AGAIN, if its REALLY true

Need to extend mankins......the 33rd pick in the 2012 draft will not make a difference until Brady is done.

Agree with this 100% because it's all about protecting Brady at this point, more than ever. Mankins is a proven commodity in this system and is invaluable to keeping Brady protected. None of us really know what is ACTUALLY going on, until I hear it from Kraft, BB, Brady, or Mankins mouths, then I say lock him up long term.

self-absorbed players.....gee, what a notion.......

the owners are not self-absorbed, right?

I have been pro-player since this thing started, and will remain to be so in spite of these two moron players and their agents.

But here's the difference - both the players and owners have been acting "selfishly" throughout these negotiations, as well they should. They are negotiating a deal that will hopefully be in place for 10 years, they have to look out for themselves. The difference is that they, either the players or the owners, are - largely - looking out for what is best as a unit. Now, I'm sure there have been lots of exceptions to this rule, but there has been nothing as blatantly selfish as what Mankins and Jackson have done here, trying to reap benefit for one singular individual when for months, the owners & players have tried to find common ground between what's best for their two entities, not individuals.

I have no problem with Mankins threatening to keep the awsuit alive if he isn't given $10 million or make him an UFA. I mean it is worth a shot to make the attempt to try to get something.

Now I will have a problem if he follows through with his threat. I would be the ultimate selfish act to screw over your fellow players for your own selfish interests. Make them lose money so he can get more money.

If Mankins does follow through with his threat (which I doubt), all the people who blasted the Patriots for how they handled the Mankins situation owe them a huge apology. Everyone blasted Bob Kraft for ruining a deal because "he demanded a public apology" should send him a letter to apologize. If Mankins is willing to screw over his roughly 1800 breathern to get himself more money, it shows he is just an unreasonable selfish prick. Again, I doubt Mankins will follow through with his threat, but if he does it will be one of the most selfish things I have seen in a while.

BTW, if I am the league, I refuse to give into their demands and just demonize Mankins and Jackson pointing out they are going to ruin the season and make a lot of hard working people who make less in a year than they make in a game lose money because of their own self interest.

Last edited:
Last edited:
BTW, if I am the league, I refuse to give into their demands and just demonize Mankins and Jackson pointing out they are going to ruin the season and make a lot of hard working people who make less in a year than they make in a game lose money because of their own self interest.

Florio is in rare form this AM and he's got that covered. Along with Kessler...

Kessler’s last stand? | ProFootballTalk

no guarantees that history repeats.......when was adrian klemm drafted?

Adrian Klemm was a 2nd round pick. And he was drafted using Booby Grier's scouting reports...People seem to forget how little time BB had to actually Prepare for the 2000 draft and the limited resources he had available..

Yes, Florio made a great presentation of the "people's case".

BTW can anyone explain to me on how these 2 or any of the "named" litigants have a right or even legal standing to hold this deal up. In a class action suit, being the named litigant doesn't mean you get more if the suit is settled.

And what would be the basis of their complaint if they filed separate suits assuming they opt out of the settlement.

I need those answers other wise it makes no sense for either the NFLPA or the NFL to even contemplate this extortion attempt. What's the down side of telling them to crawl back into their holes.

BTW - if Mankins doesn't say something on the record today, then he's dead to me. If he can't at least come out and man up about his petulant little hissy fit then it only goes to show his REAL character. What he SHOULD do is publicly disavow this entire story

Adrian Klemm was a 2nd round pick. And he was drafted using Booby Grier's scouting reports...People seem to forget how little time BB had to actually Prepare for the 2000 draft and the limited resources he had available..

AND we never really had the chance to find out about him, since he was hurt almost the entire time he was here. IIRC he eventually wound up with TB. I have no idea how he did there.

Finally if this DOES play out, it time for the Pats to do some kind of sign and trade deal and ship this guy out. I don't care if its for a 5th round pick. Get rid of him, resign Light. Move him to LG and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back