PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins could hold up NFL settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall that when Reggie White won his case, the Eagles received a first round pick as compensation for him becoming a free agent. Give the Pats a first round pick and we will be happy to pack his bags for him

Question, did the Eagles get a free 1st round pick or a 1st round pick from the Packers (since White signed with them)?

Question, did the Eagles get a free 1st round pick or a 1st round pick from the Packers (since White signed with them)?

Neither. White's existing contract was up in 1993 and the Eagles didn't tender him as teams used to be able to do at will because the settlement no longer allowed it. He was a UFA and he ultimately signed with GB as the team of his choice. He could have been franchise tagged since that was part of the new CBA, but as lead plaintiff in the case (which had been ongoing for years and went to trial and a jury reached a verdict in his favor which rather than appeal spurred the league to negotiate a whole new CBA with limited FA) he was granted exemption from franchise tagging in order to settle the case before Doty had to impose a penalty against the league for the verdict or award White damages. But again, that was after nearly 4 years in court as the lead plaintiff during which he was the property of the Eagles whether he liked what they offered him periodically or not...

There has been no verdict in Brady et al vs. the NFL yet. Hasn't even gone to trial. All we've had so far are motions and a temporary injunction against a lockout while the case was pending that the appeals court threw out. No one has won or lost the anti trust suit (damages arising out of which would have been unavailable unless the lockout cost them a season, so there is no rational basis for any settlement bones being tossed at the plaintiffs. The whole suit to date was a negotiation tactic and it won't proceed now because the NFLPA and the league have settled on a new CBA and once the union recertified it's members cannot be party to an anti trust suit because the rules applied to them were collectively bargained for...

Ergo the suit has to go away before the players can vote to recertify or vote to ratify a new CBA...

So let me get this straight: Borges has no scource and is just speculating, Florio picks it up and now fans are blaming Mankins for possibly holding up the settlement talks of the antitrust case?

That's not what was said.. But, go ahead and believe that if you want.

*cough* Vollmer *cough*

vollmer is a tackle and can't fill in for Mankins. and if light and mankins go, we would have a makeshift offensive line next year. we can't wait on a 33rd overall pick in next year's draft.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't the plaintiffs decide to drop their case since it hasn't gone to trial and is still just in the preliminary stages? The reality is that their suits were filed to pressure the league into continuing business as normal.

vollmer is a tackle and can't fill in for Mankins. and if light and mankins go, we would have a makeshift offensive line next year. we can't wait on a 33rd overall pick in next year's draft.

You clearly missed the point. He was mentioning Vollmer as an example of a player being able to come in and be successful.

BTW, your whole response is BS also because the Pats could EASILY take the 10 million that would be freed up and sign either Harvey Dahl or Justin Blalock (or both) and the Line would be significantly better than it was and the Pats would still have that pick.

A bit of thought on your part instead of going to the absolute worst extreme possible would certainly help..

Let me repeat what you wrote:

Need to extend mankins......the 33rd pick in the 2012 draft will not make a difference until Brady is done.

I'm not arguing whether Vollmer can play LG.

I'm simply arguing that you can't validly conclude that "the 33rd pick in the 2012 draft will not make a difference until Brady is done." Vollmer was at the end of the second round, and he made a big difference his rookie season.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't the plaintiffs decide to drop their case since it hasn't gone to trial and is still just in the preliminary stages? The reality is that their suits were filed to pressure the league into continuing business as normal.
Yes, of course they can drop their suit but I think the whole point of the article is what if one (or more) of them says "even though there is a new CBA agreement in principle in place, we refuse to drop our suit unless we get XYZ."

I honestly don't know what happens if (for example) 7 plaintiffs want to drop it and 3 want to keep it. But if a CBA is signed, then there's no way they win their suit since the whole basis of the suit is anti-trust violations.

Last edited:
Yup. Looks like someone needed copy and just dashed off something without thinking it through. :cool:

If Borges was involved, that would be photocopy.:D

That's a tautology.

Is that anything like Tautogs Of Taunton?

I saw a tautog with a Chinese menu in his fin
swimmin' through the streets of Soho in the rain.
He was lookin for the place called Lee Ho Fooks, gonna get a big dish of green crab chow mein.

Chorus:
Aaahoo,
werewolves of London
Aaahoo(2x)

Is that anything like Tautogs Of Taunton?

I saw a tautog with a Chinese menu in his fin
swimmin' through the streets of Soho in the rain.
He was lookin for the place called Lee Ho Fooks, gonna get a big dish of green crab chow mein.

Chorus:
Aaahoo,
werewolves of London
Aaahoo(2x)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cantbrain.jpg

There is no way any one plaintiff is going to deprive the players of a deal if they vote to ratify it.

There is no way any one plaintiff is going to deprive the players of a deal if they vote to ratify it.
I agree, but the issue is neither side can vote until they agree to a settlement that makes all the court cases go away. Reportedly both the NFLPA and NFL are working on that as we speak. They want to roll it all up into a neat package (anti trust suit, Doty TV case, collusion charge hanging since last December, retirees seperate suit) and essentally have all the proceedings dismissed. Their should be no consideration for any party in order to achieve that since nobody has won an actual court verdict in any case to date.

They should declare an out of court settlement for one dollar with terms not being released.

The point GWEDD is making is that a rookie can quickly contribute very quickly as we have evidence in Vollmer and McCourty of that happening in the past two draft classes.

Breer has tweeted that the procedure for settling the lawsuit is for the 32 player reps to vote to recommend they settle it and than pass that recommendation on to the 10 named plaintiffs. So it really would be on one or more of them to hold everyone else up if they demand any kind of compensation for agreeing to settle. Don't see that happening. The NFLPA filed a motion for summary judgement in the anti trust case today, but they filed it without any accompanying arguments because it was per their spokesman just a required filing due today which could not be missed for procedural reasons.

As for voting on a new CBA that requires half of the 1900 members plus 1 vote yes to pass. Owners vote requires 24 of 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back