PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL works with college presidents to form “Super League”

FortressX

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The current system would be blown up. The conferences would fold. The playoff system would go extinct. In their place would be a league with 70 fixed teams and 10 others that will be subject to relegation and promotion from the remaining 60 schools.

The “Super League” would have eight 10-team divisions, with the division winners and eight wild-cards qualifying for a 16-team playoff.

As a non-American who has grown up watching football (soccer), divisions with promotion and relegation just make sense.

As an American, I just see capitalism at work to make the rich, richer, and the poor, poorer.
It's a meritocracy. Good teams get rewarded, bad teams sink. You improve and you move up appropriately.

You don't get situations where a committee decide who gets to play in the playoffs. You earn it on the field.

Ask Florida State how they feel about your somewhat lazy capitalism analogy

This will never happen. Why would the 34 teams of the Big 10 and SEC, who are making far more money than all the rest (except maybe Notre Dame) sign on to this proposal? They would lose tens of millions of dollars.

If anything, those 2 conferences will be the ones who break off and form their own League. They'd probably grab a few of the top draws such as Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame. 16 of last year's final top 20 would be represented.

Big lawsuits might wipe out these conferences

Big lawsuits might wipe out these conferences
The conferences are still profitable entities, so they are not going to be "wiped out" even if they have to pay huge penalties/fines/whatever from their past sins.

What might get "wiped out" is all those college sports that no one cares about or watches. Those sports rely on all that money the big 2 sports (football and basketball) generate. The money makes it worth it for colleges to keep playing football but geez, all of a sudden cross country is more trouble than it is worth.

Might as well ruin NCAA football for good with this plan.

All these teams moving all over the country was the beginning.

Two corrupt, greedy, and selfish organizations like the NFL and the NCAA coming together to create a league. What could go wrong? College football obviously has a ton of work to do as far as conference alignment, NIL, the transfer portal etc but I don’t think the NFL is the group to help them. The TV deals are already screwing up all the conferences and unless the current conferences are abolished and everything becomes regional the non power 5 teams better just pack up shop now.

It's a meritocracy. Good teams get rewarded, bad teams sink. You improve and you move up appropriately.

You don't get situations where a committee decide who gets to play in the playoffs. You earn it on the field.

Ask Florida State how they feel about your somewhat lazy capitalism analogy
This just isn't true.

As a non-American who has grown up watching football (soccer), divisions with promotion and relegation just make sense.
Doesn't make any sense whatsoever in an American context.

Schools have budgets. Sports are not the primary thing they do. The sports budgets pale in comparison to the academic budgets. Some of these schools have $5b a year budgets. Sports is between 2-4% of that.

You can't have non-guaranteed income at such schools and expect them to run their sports programs. It's not going to happen.

When a European team gets demoted, it immediately starts to shed contracts.

Do you imagine they'll kick football players out of school for losing?

The problem is football is the revenue driver for all other sports and this only addresses the football programs so then where does that leave everything else? This would be a huge upheaval for college sports as a whole and if they let greed dictate things (which they will) other sports at these schools could suffer. Seems like people love to look at things like this and only think of the Caleb Williams's and Marvin Harrison Jr’s of the world without considering the thousands of kids who won’t ever make a dime off of being a college athlete. Those are the ones who will suffer because football decides the other sports futures.

What gets me about this is that they are blowing up the relationship between schools, students and players. Only old alumni will end up caring in the end. We're already seeing student body attendance drop at the games. TV interest is as strong as ever. But let's face it, so much of the money coming into these programs comes from alumni interest. If you start severing the relationship between the students and players (i.e. players are no longer students but hired pros), I wonder what's going to drive the interest. No doubt in Alabama they will still be absolutely engaged since there's really nothing else there, but I wonder about Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.

What gets me about this is that they are blowing up the relationship between schools, students and players. Only old alumni will end up caring in the end. We're already seeing student body attendance drop at the games. TV interest is as strong as ever. But let's face it, so much of the money coming into these programs comes from alumni interest. If you start severing the relationship between the students and players (i.e. players are no longer students but hired pros), I wonder what's going to drive the interest. No doubt in Alabama they will still be absolutely engaged since there's really nothing else there, but I wonder about Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.
Good point.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever in an American context.

Schools have budgets. Sports are not the primary thing they do. The sports budgets pale in comparison to the academic budgets. Some of these schools have $5b a year budgets. Sports is between 2-4% of that.

You can't have non-guaranteed income at such schools and expect them to run their sports programs. It's not going to happen.

When a European team gets demoted, it immediately starts to shed contracts.

Do you imagine they'll kick football players out of school for losing?
The highest paid PUBLIC (state) official in 43 states is a college coach.

That is truly f'ed up.

The highest paid PUBLIC (state) official in 43 states is a college coach.

That is truly f'ed up.
Well most of them are a helluva lot better at their jobs than the politicians are, so maybe it isn't all that f'ed up.....

Besides, it isn't taxpayer funds which pays their salaries. It is the revenue that the programs generate. A good coach is worth millions. A great coach is worth tens of millions.

Last edited:
My first thought was someone forgot to check the date on the article they read...:poop:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back