PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett will never succeed Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the new CBA we have Mallet locked up for five more years. That means his sixth year will be Brady's age 39 season. Are you sure Mallet isn't his heir apparent?

Not quite.

The fifth-year option only applies to first-round draft picks (i.e., Solder).

Locking up Mallett for a fifth year would require using the franchise tag on him, and I don't think we want to see that happen. :eek:

Am I the only one that finds it difficult to see the word/name "loloooooooooooo", and then take anything written after that seriously?

I mean, what is that? Laugh out loud, ..... oww, I need a band aid????

"The Anti Fairweather fan" seems to have no doubt that Brady has 5-6 years left......oh, the irony.

Irony? look up the definition of irony before you try to to insult me because of my title, same with the guy trying to take shots at me for my username. It's pretty obvious you guys have nothing good to say when you have to insult me personally. I also don't see what the point of telling me I'm being ignored is too... really people grow up.

I would like to see Mallett start for a team like the Patriots but hey if he doesnt then he can start somewhere else and he would have learned from the best. Its a good situation for him.

Teenuh is back maybe?

Anyway, never say never.

I'm changing my handle to Jokerererererererererererererer....:wha:

Irony? look up the definition of irony before you try to to insult me because of my title, same with the guy trying to take shots at me for my username. It's pretty obvious you guys have nothing good to say when you have to insult me personally. I also don't see what the point of telling me I'm being ignored is too... really people grow up.

I might be the only soul in New England who nearly agrees with your OP.

I'm 99% with you: But I Never Say Never.

But you need to take a look in the mirror, Bro: Your UserName is a JOKE.

It's something a 4 year old would come up with.

My unsolicited advice to you: BURN it. And come on back with a new name.

If Brady does have 5 or 6 yrs left, it's not written in stone that he will play all of those years here.

Sadly that is probably true. I would like for him to remain a Patriot until he retires but only time will tell if that really will happen.

Going militant on us OTG?

5410057_gal.jpg

Drop down and give me 20 tubby. :p

I would like to know how my interpretation of irony was incorrect....please tell me. And if you take that as insult.......well, maybe you shouldn't post anything that can be criticized.

Oh, and to respond to your topic: I don't believe Brady has 5-6 years at a level that will keep his job here....BB is ruthless.

Going militant on us OTG?

5410057_gal.jpg

Drop down and give me 20 tubby. :p

Yes.

Yes, I AM. :D

I hope I'm not coming across as PICKING on Lolo, there.

But he seems to be going out of his way to antagonize people. :confused:

Intelligent guy, though...I hope he sticks around, one way or another. :)

Am I the only one that finds it difficult to see the word/name "loloooooooooooo", and then take anything written after that seriously?

I mean, what is that? Laugh out loud, ..... oww, I need a band aid????

I would like to know how my interpretation of irony was incorrect....please tell me. And if you take that as insult.......well, maybe you shouldn't post anything that can be criticized.

Oh, and to respond to your topic: I don't believe Brady has 5-6 years at a level that will keep his job here....BB is ruthless.

I don't see a situation how Brady 5 years from now could be beaten in camp by a guy who never started a game in the NFL unless Brady becomes an interception machine which he never will

I'm not trying to antagonize anybody. I just don't understand why people make it such a big deal that I didn't see the irony in some guy's post...

I don't see a situation how Brady 5 years from now could be beaten in camp by a guy who never started a game in the NFL unless Brady becomes an interception machine which he never will

You started with the premise that "Mallett will never succeed Brady". That leaves a lot of room for contingencies and disagreement. The whole point is that none of us have any idea what will happen between now and then.

I'm not trying to antagonize anybody. I just don't understand why people make it such a big deal that I didn't see the irony in some guy's post...

Dude, let it go.

You started with the premise that "Mallett will never succeed Brady". That leaves a lot of room for contingencies and disagreement. The whole point is that none of us have any idea what will happen between now and then.

Dude, let it go.

I can let it go but everyone seems to be interested in arguing about sarcasm :bricks:

The whole premise of this thread is based on observations after one half of preseason football in the first game after a lock out. BB said early on that there are only 9 plays in the playbook.. so our O is fairly vanilla.

Mallett looked good, but his development will be interesting throughout the year.. right now the only job that is available is back up quarterback, and Thursday Nite Hoyer looked pretty good. So he is third on the depth chart.

Not many of us expected a rapid ascendancy for Mallett in his first year, so all expectations need to be realistic.

OTOH do not see Brady being the second coming of Favre, he has enough interests outside of the game that might allow him to walk away at the end of his contract. Every year we seem to see less of him offseason, it has not effected his play, but he seems to be putting his ducks in a row for the future.

Let's take your opening post bit by bit.

Brady has 5 or 6 years left to play

Nobody knows if that's true. He could play 1 more and walk away with a Super Bowl, he could play until he's 45.

and by then Mallett will be in his late 20's where you are expected to have 3 or 4 years of starting experience to be considered a franchise QB.

Ok you're right that Mallett will be in his late 20s. Beyond that you aren't saying anything of value. Every situation is different and right now there is little info to suggest that Mallett wouldn't be happy to stick around for a few years on the bench. That of course ignores the possibility that he is called into duty much sooner.

I see Mallett being a franchise QB though, except not in NE

The former is speculative opinion based on half a preseason game against a crappy team. He's not even as good as Hoyer right now.

, and you have to be wishing Brady to suck or get injured to think Mallett will ever be the face of the Patriots.

No you don't, you have to be realistic and know that the chances of Brady playing another 5-6 years at an elite level are likely pretty slim.

Mallett is not wating 6 years on the bench to finally start lmao

Probably not, but the chances of him needing to do that are hardly 100% which is what you seem to be implying.

So to your thread title of "Mallett will never succeed Brady" where it is an absolute, if you changed it to "Mallett likely won't succeed Brady" you may have made a decent argument. Oh and taking somebody calling a HoF quarterback coming off an MVP season "washed up" as a serious comment really didn't help your cause.

There are no "never"s in football. Troy Brown will never make it in the NFL as a WR. Tedy Bruschi will never make it. Tom Brady and Matt Cassell will never be more than a #3 QB. And so on.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line here, loloooooooooooo, is that you seem to have a crystal ball (with a broken sarcasm meter ;) ) that the rest of us do not have access to. This is all very speculative. Why not just wait and see how things play out? A lot can happen in 3 years.

See: Joe Montana/Steve Young

End thread.

Thank you pyper, well said.

Mallet was not brought in to replace Brady. He was brought in to replace Hoyer who will be an RFA after this season. The plan is to unload Hoyer and have a guy already on the roster who has had a year to learn the system.

If Brady only lasts a few more years before hanging them up, Mallet will be an option to succeed him. If Brady stays longer, then Mallet can be dealt for draft picks and the process repeats itself all over again.

Can we now stop talking about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes