PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett will never succeed Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
go away if you are just trying to troll/annoy people, I'm talking about Mallett here. If you expect everyone to detect sarcasm in the internet then you are mistaken

At some point, you need to learn to stop digging.

Everyone else seemed to note the sarcasm............ :rolleyes:

Mallett has one good half in a preseason game and all of a sudden everybody is in a panic.

Even if he only plays for 3 or 4 years only it will be too long and Mallett will be gone by then.
Seeing as how the Pats control him for four years, I doubt he will be gone if brady only plays for three.

Besides, while I agree that QBs can play until late 30's, that doesn't mean that Brady will. He might have other plans for his life. And he could get hurt. Planning for that eventuality is not wishing he gets hurt as said above, it is just planning for contingencies.

Bottom line: whatever happens, Mallett > Curtis Painter

Brady will be 37 at end of contract and I do not see him playing until he is 38-40

Offer him a a 1-2 deal at most. how will Mallett not be a viable candidate for the job? We have yet to see him audible or pick up blitzes yet.... I'm just saying if he is the next coming he beats Brady out. Best case scenario would be Mallett beating out a "healthy" Brady on the last yr. of Both deals.

I love TFB we don't know enough intel yet, but assuming Mallett progresses into an ELITE QB how do we not lock him up?:confused:

How can you say that? Were we saying that when brady was on the bench in relationship to bledsoe? You never know

In five years we trade Brady to the Dolphins, how old will Chad Henne be?
For three number ones and Tony Sporano signs a new ten year deal.

How many QB have won SB's at 40 yrs old?

That is the goal around here you know......

There is of course no guarantee Mallett will become a great QB, just as there is no guarantee Brady will be this productive at 39 yrs old. The history seems to say that QB's don't play at an elite level past 38, if Brady is the exception fine with me.

IF Mallett develops and fulfills the potential of his arm with the ability to become an elite qb in terms of reading D's the I would pay top $$$ to keep him around the year or 2 until Brady retires.

This is a silly thread at this time however.

thing is Mallett wont ever get the chance to show he's an elite QB as long as he is in NE, and like I said as long as he is here he wont because preseason games mean about as much as a team winning 11 games and not making the playoffs

Seeing as how the Pats control him for four years, I doubt he will be gone if brady only plays for three.

Besides, while I agree that QBs can play until late 30's, that doesn't mean that Brady will. He might have other plans for his life. And he could get hurt. Planning for that eventuality is not wishing he gets hurt as said above, it is just planning for contingencies.

Bottom line: whatever happens, Mallett > Curtis Painter

Brady says himself he plans to play till he's 40 and I see thats reasonable as medicine is better and Brady doesn't use athleticism to succeed anyway so he should be able to play till 40

At some point, you need to learn to stop digging.

Everyone else seemed to note the sarcasm............ :rolleyes:

well I'm not everyone so why do you keep bringing this up? sarcasm on the internet is like winking on the phone for crying out loud.

Brady will be 37 at end of contract and I do not see him playing until he is 38-40

Offer him a a 1-2 deal at most. how will Mallett not be a viable candidate for the job? We have yet to see him audible or pick up blitzes yet.... I'm just saying if he is the next coming he beats Brady out. Best case scenario would be Mallett beating out a "healthy" Brady on the last yr. of Both deals.

I love TFB we don't know enough intel yet, but assuming Mallett progresses into an ELITE QB how do we not lock him up?:confused:
haha Mallet wouldn't beat out a corpse of Brady are you kidding me?
How can you say that? Were we saying that when brady was on the bench in relationship to bledsoe? You never know

Implying Bledsoe is anywhere near as good as Brady... I was hearing these same exact things too when Brady went down and Cassel came in and did "good" which wasn't even good... Unless Brady quits his production will always be top 3

Brady has 5 or 6 years left to play and by then Mallett will be in his late 20's where you are expected to have 3 or 4 years of starting experience to be considered a franchise QB. I see Mallett being a franchise QB though, except not in NE, and you have to be wishing Brady to suck or get injured to think Mallett will ever be the face of the Patriots. Mallett is not wating 6 years on the bench to finally start lmao

Stop posting about football Gisele.

Implying Bledsoe is anywhere near as good as Brady... I was hearing these same exact things too when Brady went down and Cassel came in and did "good" which wasn't even good...

Huh? There are plenty of teams that would kill to have a QB do what Cassel did in 2008...and yeah it was 'good', very good considering his lack of experience. and two 400 yards games...

11-5 327/516 63.4% 3693 yds 21 TD 11 int 89.4 rating

8th in yardage
11th in %
10th in rating

thing is Mallett wont ever get the chance to show he's an elite QB as long as he is in NE, and like I said as long as he is here he wont because preseason games mean about as much as a team winning 11 games and not making the playoffs
Out of curiosity, when the Patriots have the game in hand and Brady is taken out of the game, if Belichick inserts Mallett into the game ahead of Hoyer (or vice versa) does that not constitute an opportunity?

Brady says himself he plans to play till he's 40 and I see thats reasonable as medicine is better and Brady doesn't use athleticism to succeed anyway so he should be able to play till 40
Brady plays as long as he's the best QB on the roster and producing.

well I'm not everyone so why do you keep bringing this up? sarcasm on the internet is like winking on the phone for crying out loud.
Stupidity on the internet is the same as stupidity in a physical environment.

haha Mallet wouldn't beat out a corpse of Brady are you kidding me?
I disagree.

Implying Bledsoe is anywhere near as good as Brady... I was hearing these same exact things too when Brady went down and Cassel came in and did "good" which wasn't even good... Unless Brady quits his production will always be top 3
Refer to my comment about stupidity on the internet.

Last edited:
Brady has 5 or 6 years left to play and by then Mallett will be in his late 20's where you are expected to have 3 or 4 years of starting experience to be considered a franchise QB. I see Mallett being a franchise QB though, except not in NE, and you have to be wishing Brady to suck or get injured to think Mallett will ever be the face of the Patriots. Mallett is not wating 6 years on the bench to finally start lmao

none of us, including Tom Brady, knows how many years he has left to play effectively at a high level. The averages say he's got three, maybe four years to do so (the average retirement age for an SB era HOF QB is 37), which is about how many years Rodgers waited behind Lord Favregaard. only Elway won an SB after the age of 35.

Of course, we all hope that TB will be an exception and play at a high level into his late 30's and beyond, but he's taken a lot of hits over the years and we just don't know. he's already missed an entire season to injury and has spent at least one other off-season rehabbing from surgery. Let's wait, hope and see.

As for who will replace him, I'd be willing to bet that he isn't on the Patriots roster today; just a hunch.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, when the Patriots have the game in hand and Brady is taken out of the game, if Belichick inserts Mallett into the game ahead of Hoyer (or vice versa) does that not constitute an opportunity?

Brady plays as long as he's the best QB on the roster and producing.

Stupidity on the internet is the same as stupidity in a physical environment.

I disagree.

Refer to my comment about stupidity on the internet.

I don't see how Brady can't produce at an old age when Favre could and he isn't even as good as Brady... same with Manning. This is the 21st century now and medicine is better so we should expect guys to play to 40. also what does stupidity have to do with sarcasm? I can't tell if he was sarcastic or not because there are people out there who think that

I don't see how Brady can't produce at an old age when Favre could and he isn't even as good as Brady... same with Manning. This is the 21st century now and medicine is better so we should expect guys to play to 40. also what does stupidity have to do with sarcasm? I can't tell if he was sarcastic or not because there are people out there who think that
If everyone else can judge the tone of sarcasm perhaps it's wiser to accept that and move on.

Medicine has nothing to do with the projection for the rest of Brady's career. As far as I'm concerned, if he produces to a consistently high level year in year out he can play until he's 60. If not, he's replaced. It's that simple.

If everyone else can judge the tone of sarcasm perhaps it's wiser to accept that and move on.

Medicine has nothing to do with the projection for the rest of Brady's career. As far as I'm concerned, if he produces to a consistently high level year in year out he can play until he's 60. If not, he's replaced. It's that simple.

why do you keep bringing it up though? You guys make it a big deal that I should know that he was being sarcastic, I don't care if everyone else in the world judged the tone of sarcasm because I didn't. Brady will probably play to 40, at max 41 or 42 because after that no QB is going to want to take hits with a higher chance of injury, otherwise Favre would still play

George Blanda played QB for the Raiders in the playoffs at age 43 and played until he was FORTY EIGHT....(Pesky-Facts.com)

I personally do not wish to live in a world where Tom Brady is not the quarterback of the New England Patriots.

why do you keep bringing it up though? You guys make it a big deal that I should know that he was being sarcastic, I don't care if everyone else in the world judged the tone of sarcasm because I didn't. Brady will probably play to 40, at max 41 or 42 because after that no QB is going to want to take hits with a higher chance of injury, otherwise Favre would still play
Yep, ignore it is.

Due to the new CBA we have Mallet locked up for five more years. That means his sixth year will be Brady's age 39 season. Are you sure Mallet isn't his heir apparent?

Due to the new CBA we have Mallet locked up for five more years. That means his sixth year will be Brady's age 39 season. Are you sure Mallet isn't his heir apparent?

I have no doubt Mallett will be gone by then, and we will have a 1st rounder or traded QB here

I think you guys are all forgetting a key scenario here. Brady wins his 4th Superbowl this year, or next year, or the year after that. Either way I think if he wins the 4th ring within the next 3 years he will retire. Cue Ryan Mallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes