PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett will never succeed Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
See: Joe Montana/Steve Young

End thread.

See no FA and salary cap. Apples and Oranges.

What people keep ignoring is Brady's stated intent to play well into his 40's. Now something may happen on the field that makes that an unachievable goal. But until it does, I'd take the QB at his word. And while BB may be ruthless, and I don't think that is really the case at all, he's not stupid.

Too many here are so anxious to predict the future they have lost sight of both the not yet so distant past not to mention the present...

And stop with the anti Favre analogies. Brady isn't self absorbed, but he's more genuinely driven and competitive than the eternal gunslinger ever was. Brady will play as long as he knows he can consistently perform at a level befitting his legacy. And Belichick and Kraft will let him because they are also football businessmen. When he realizes he can't he won't need Bill to tell him. Unlike most players he's always been his own harshest critic (aside from a handful of idiots who periodically show up and post drivel here). He enjoys spending quality time with his young family. But there is nothing on his immediate career horizen that remotely compares to the rush he still gets playing football.

And for the love of god can't some mod at least merge the Mallett threads??? He's the effin' third string QB.

In the spirit of objective, fact based evaluation, Greg Bedard had this analysis of Mallett's first pro game:

Ryan Mallett had about the same kind of night as Hoyer, but got more comfortable as the night went on. On his first pass he held the ball for 4.82 seconds, which just can’t happen. Then he and Taylor Price hooked up on a very nice quick out. Then on Mallett’s third pass he left the pocket too early, and that caused the pass to Darnell Jenkins to be late. Sometimes you just have hang in and take the shot. Mallett had a delay of game penalty, and two throws that were off target after that, but on the whole he showed a lot. And the more he stayed in designed rhythm of this offense, the better he did. Mallett’s 15-yard laser beam to Price with 14:37 left in the fourth quarter showed his immense promise. All in all, a very good first outing.

I think it is safe to say that if Mallett builds on this and corrects the errors, he could become a good quarterback. If he continues to play like this, however, he won't ever be the Pats' starter.

I think the bottom line here, loloooooooooooo, is that you seem to have a crystal ball (with a broken sarcasm meter ;) ) that the rest of us do not have access to. This is all very speculative. Why not just wait and see how things play out? A lot can happen in 3 years.

I'm amazed to see this troll thread getting so much attention.
Obvious troll is obvious.
:bricks:

I'm amazed to see this troll thread getting so much attention.
Obvious troll is obvious.
:bricks:

Not really a response to what you said, just wanted to say cool name.

Are you subliminally suggesting the Pats trade Welker for a 1, a 2 and 3 ...? :D

this isn't real life buddy it's pretty hard to see the tone in his posts, and considering there are tons of people who are slow in the head in the internet I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious

No. It's very easy to see when someone is being sarcastic. Just because you lack the ability doesn't mean others do..

Are you subliminally suggesting the Pats trade Welker for a 1, a 2 and 3 ...? :D

LOL NO!!
Lawrence Welker under center.... the snap count? "Annna one, annna two..."

It all depends on Brady's health. If he's still an elite QB in 4 years, Mallett will probably be gone after that no matter how good he is (unless, perhaps, he's around Damon Huard level -- quality backup and questionable starter). Otherwise, Mallett has a shot, if not in his year 5, than perhaps in 6 or 7.

With QBs playing till 40 nowadays I don't see why Brady won't be the starter until he retires. He's never been a guy who used his feet so I can't see him regressing like a Mike Vick or Mcnabb. Unless Brady's arm gets injured he will never be below number 1 in the depth chart. Even if he only plays for 3 or 4 years only it will be too long and Mallett will be gone by then.

You may be right. The effect of the new rules might extend careers, but...

The only over 40 QB I can think of is Bret Favre. If in his last 4 years 3 suck and 1 is awesome, he can have his bad years with the 49ers - I'll root for him in the 4th.:)

this isn't real life buddy it's pretty hard to see the tone in his posts, and considering there are tons of people who are slow in the head in the internet I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious

You are right. One way to tell is look for an "emoticon" after the post. An "emoticon" is one of these things ":D:rolleyes::confused:"

Let me preface my comments by stating that I am probably the #1 Brady fan on this board.

I agree that Mallett will not succeed Brady, simply because, barring injury, Mallett will never have that opportunity. Brady will retire a Patriot, perhaps the greatest Patriot ever.

In addition, isn't it pretty well known throughout the league that Brady is a system quarterback who excels under BB, but would struggle to make most NFL rosters? Therefore, I would expect that the Pats wouldn't get much for him in a trade.

In conclusion, I look forward to Brady remaining a superstar in the Patriots' system, and I hope he brings us at least 2 more Super Bowls!

Go Pats!

Last edited:
Responding to the troll bait, no it is NFW known throught the NFL that Brady is a system QB who would struggle to make most NFL rosters.

Worst post ever, NEP4Life

I can let it go but everyone seems to be interested in arguing about sarcasm :bricks:

Persistence,-It's-over,-man,-let-her-go.jpg

Brady said himself he is going for 40, so why can't we take his word for it? also this argument for me not getting the sarcasm is going too far, go away trolls.

Brady said himself he is going for 40, so why can't we take his word for it? also this argument for me not getting the sarcasm is going too far, go away trolls.

Doesnt mean BB wants him until he is 40.

Best case senario for me, would be to get two or three great/good seasons out of him, still deal him off for a day one pick, and the kid (Mallet) is fully groomed and ready to step in for the next 10-15 yrs.

I dont want to see a washed up Brady trotting out there every Sunday trying to recapture the glory of days gone. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back