PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett already comparing himself to Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep,can you name another HOF first ballot guaranteed QB right now that has played like Brady and Manning since 1996??

Uh, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner are 1st ballot HOFers. Hell, Warner ought to get in for his one appearance in the SB with the Cardinals, much less his 2 SBs with the Rams.

The other guys still in the the running are Brees, Rivers and Matty "Ice" Ryan.

Last year's rookies were very impressive as newbie QBs.

Mallett might be one of those guys but let's wait 12 years or so before deciding. Geez, I wonder what the internet will look like in 2023.....

The other guys still in the the running are Brees, Rivers and Matty "Ice" Ryan....

heh - -reminds me of a great Bill Simmons tweet after the Falcons' playoff lost last year: "I have a new nickname for Matt Ryan. 'Matt' "

Uh, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner are 1st ballot HOFers. Hell, Warner ought to get in for his one appearance in the SB with the Cardinals, much less his 2 SBs with the Rams.

Mallett might be one of those guys but let's wait 12 years or so before deciding. Geez, I wonder what the internet will look like in 2023.....

Favre is likely a first ballot HOF'er, but he hasn't played like Manning and Brady have over the course of their respective careers... Warner was a bubble HOF'er before he took the Cardinals to a SB and lost. That likely makes him a HOF lock, but not on the first ballot.

Brees in on pace to be a HOF QB. It would take another couple of years of consistency for him to approach lock status and another ring or a couple of NO trips to the ring game to make him a first ballot lock. Rivers and "Ice" will have to win something beyond their division before they even enter the discussion... Rogers has, but again - can he perform as consistently for over a decade as Manning and Brady already have? Who knows.

Please don't even start on rookie asessments. Mallett won't even start here for at least another 5-6 years (which means he likely never does) or he'll be starting or backing up somewhere else, so let's wait half a decade or so before we even utter his name in this context...

There is a reason why the QB rankings are teired and there are only two guys firmly entrenched on that top tier over the last decade. There are a couple of guys within spitting distance and a few more arguably knocking on the door, but as of now the correct response to the question you attempted to answer is...NONE.

Favre is likely a first ballot HOF'er, but he hasn't played like Manning and Brady have over the course of their respective careers... Warner was a bubble HOF'er before he took the Cardinals to a SB and lost. That likely makes him a HOF lock, but not on the first ballot.

Brees in on pace to be a HOF QB. It would take another couple of years of consistency for him to approach lock status and another ring or a couple of NO trips to the ring game to make him a first ballot lock. Rivers and "Ice" will have to win something beyond their division before they even enter the discussion... Rogers has, but again - can he perform as consistently for over a decade as Manning and Brady already have? Who knows.

Please don't even start on rookie asessments. Mallett won't even start here for at least another 5-6 years (which means he likely never does) or he'll be starting or backing up somewhere else, so let's wait half a decade or so before we even utter his name in this context...

There is a reason why the QB rankings are teired and there are only two guys firmly entrenched on that top tier over the last decade. There are a couple of guys within spitting distance and a few more arguably knocking on the door, but as of now the correct response to the question you attempted to answer is...NONE.

I agree with most everything except the Brady longevity thing. He's very close to being done. The Mallett selection sent us all a strong signal to look down the road a couple of years to see TB on his way to his swan song a la Unitas and Montana. Mallett may not be the next guy. But Kraft/Belichick are now looking for the next guy.

Sadly, Brady's been back there under the gun for 10+ seasons now and he's officially a geezer. A really good geezer, but a geezer nevertheless. Those 10-plus seasons were long ones with lots of playoff games that make Brady (and Manning) much older in wear and tear than other guys of their vintage. His "value" is greatest in a trade in a year or so, particularly if his understudy is even remotely as good as the guy from Arkansas keeps saying in this particular thread.

Let's hope that we're not hanging our hopes on a 39-year-old Brady to get the Patriots through what will probably be an 18-game regular season plus playoffs. Time to prepare to move on.

At 33 Brady isn't even in the area code of close to being done. He sat his rookie season and sat out 2008 rehabbing his ACL. He's only played 9 seasons to date. Manning is probably just about on the verge of approaching close to being done. He's been at it for 13 years...

The only signal the Mallett drafting sent those of us who know what we're looking at was the same one the KOC drafting sent us in 2007. Belichick wasn't happy with the value depth in this draft so he took a shot at a developmental player at a position where he knew he had room for him on the roster.

Had someone else taken Mallett in earlier or had anyone been willing to trade value for the pick he used on him, Mallett wouldn't be here...but some other late round developmental QB prospect would have been.

I agree with most everything except the Brady longevity thing. He's very close to being done. The Mallett selection sent us all a strong signal to look down the road a couple of years to see TB on his way to his swan song a la Unitas and Montana. Mallett may not be the next guy. But Kraft/Belichick are now looking for the next guy....

Hmm, where's that "not sure if serious" Heath Ledger/Joker thing when you need it?

The only signal I actually saw with the Mallett pick is that BB didn't like the draft so much, didn't see any better value, and liked the kid enough to say "why not?" Of course you can argue that any QB (or other NFL player) is one play away from being done, and this is a risk worth taking to protect against that. But I think that Brady is a model for taking care of his health and a player like him can — barring major injury — play at a high level for a while.

Last edited:
You gotta face facts, man. Brady turns 34 in August.

So, where are you guys on Donovan McNabb? Same age as Brady. Already dumped for longer-term value a shift to a younger more mobile guy and a great back-up.

So, where are you guys on Donovan McNabb? Same age as Brady. Already dumped for longer-term value a shift to a younger more mobile guy and a great back-up.

Now you're comparing apples and oranges. Donovan was never in Tommy's league despite the affection many in the media manufactured towards him. He was never a student of the game, he was a guy who made his living early on with his legs and as they gave out he became increasingly ineffective. He was unable to play through injury. Neither mentally nor physically tough enough to. He was never accountable, he was thin skinned and disinclined to work at his own game - easier to point fingers at teamates or management when you fail. Then of course there was the under pressure factor, one was poised and patient and had nerves of steel. The other rattled and made stupid mistakes and got the dry heaves...

Stop me when you're heard enough...

Now you're comparing apples and oranges. Donovan was never in Tommy's league despite the affection many in the media manufactured towards him. He was never a student of the game, he was a guy who made his living early on with his legs and as they gave out he became increasingly ineffective. He was unable to play through injury. Neither mentally nor physically tough enough to. He was never accountable, he was thin skinned and disinclined to work at his own game - easier to point fingers at teamates or management when you fail. Then of course there was the under pressure factor, one was poised and patient and had nerves of steel. The other rattled and made stupid mistakes and got the dry heaves...

Stop me when you're heard enough...

I think it's apples and apples. You're talking about his intangibles. McNabb's tangibles are that he holds the Philadelphia Eagles team records in career wins, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns. Impressive for one of the storied franchises in the NFL.

McNabb also led the Eagles to five NFC Championship games, one Super Bowl and numerous NFC East titles including four in a row during Brady's heyday in the early 2000s. McNabb is second all-time to Tom Brady in TD to Interception ratio.

McNabb overcame tremendous adversity and his coach's success will forever be linked directly with his ability to run an offense.

Still, the Eagles pulled the plug when they had depth at QB and McNabb's salary and productivity made it a good move. By the way, I think the Eagles pulled the plug at precisely the right time to move onto the next phase in their evolution.

So, what do the Pats do? I agree that Brady isn't there yet. But I think it's coming soon.

Last edited:
Here is the only way Mallett sees the field in NE

1) Mallett has to beat Hoyer for backup
2) The team is winning by 40 in the 4th quarter and Brady sits for final plays
3) Brady gets injured for a part of the game or season
4) Mallett see the field in NE....As starting QB of ANOTHER team that is visiting.

Mallett is TRADE BAIT about 3 years down the road...Hoyer will likely stay with the team this year and then a low round trade perhaps for a 6th or 7th pick for some team in 2012

Last edited:

So....

Did McNabb just come off a near MVP season that I missed or something?

I think it's apples and apples. You're talking about his intangibles. McNabb's tangibles are that he holds the Philadelphia Eagles team records in career wins, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns. Impressive for one of the storied franchises in the NFL.

McNabb also led the Eagles to five NFC Championship games, one Super Bowl and numerous NFC East titles including four in a row during Brady's heyday in the early 2000s. McNabb is second all-time to Tom Brady in TD to Interception ratio.

McNabb overcame tremendous adversity and his coach's success will forever be linked directly with his ability to run an offense.

Still, the Eagles pulled the plug when they had depth at QB and McNabb's salary and productivity made it a good move. By the way, I think the Eagles pulled the plug at precisely the right time to move onto the next phase in their evolution.

So, what do the Pats do? I agree that Brady isn't there yet. But I think it's coming soon.

hahahaha! McNabb? You have to be kidding me. That guy isn't anywhere close to Tom Brady. He is inconsistent in his accuracy and his mechanics are lazy. The eagles one of the storied frachises in the NFL? Are you crazy? What kind of adversity did he overcome? Tom retiring is at least 5-7 years away.

hahahaha! McNabb? You have to be kidding me. That guy isn't anywhere close to Tom Brady. He is inconsistent in his accuracy and his mechanics are lazy. The eagles one of the storied frachises in the NFL? Are you crazy? What kind of adversity did he overcome? Tom retiring is at least 5-7 years away.

Yeah, Donovan is an odd choice. In his entire career, he has had one season that compares favorably with Tom's last three. And that was 7 years ago.

Tom Brady has been the MVP two out of his last three season. That doesn't scream "end of the line" to me.

Tom retiring is another low shot to the knee away....I think another Pollard hit and its over...otherwise I see him playing until 38

Last edited:
So....

Did McNabb just come off a near MVP season that I missed or something?

No. See my previous post. The Eagles built depth at QB with Kolb and Vick, so that when McNabb dropped off, they could pull the plug. I think that the Patriots are moving in the same direction with the selection of Mallett and having Hoyer as a capable back-up from a Big Ten program.

Can you compare Hoyer and Mallett to Kolb and Vick? Not yet. But if Brady show's signs of his age at 34 this year, I like this situation a whole lot more than the likes of Rohan Davey or Michael Bishop.

This will be a big year for Brady - I love the addition of the running backs to add youth and versatility in the backfield. Combined with last year's upgrades at TE, the offense is really a nice mix of veterans and young talented players. I hope Brady flourishes but I also like that BB/Kraft are looking ahead.

No. See my previous post. The Eagles built depth at QB with Kolb and Vick, so that when McNabb dropped off, they could pull the plug. I think that the Patriots are moving in the same direction with the selection of Mallett and having Hoyer as a capable back-up from a Big Ten program.

Can you compare Hoyer and Mallett to Kolb and Vick? Not yet. But if Brady show's signs of his age at 34 this year, I like this situation a whole lot more than the likes of Rohan Davey or Michael Bishop.

This will be a big year for Brady - I love the addition of the running backs to add youth and versatility in the backfield. Combined with last year's upgrades at TE, the offense is really a nice mix of veterans and young talented players. I hope Brady flourishes but I also like that BB/Kraft are looking ahead.

Strengthening the QB backup situation is not the same thing as building a succession plan.

And positioning this as a critically important season from Brady is downright ridiculous. He is a HOFer coming off probably the best regular season of his career, with MVPs in 2 out of his last 3 seasons.

When Kolb was drafted, he was done so because McNabb was already on the downside by 2007. The situations aren't comparable in the least, aside from both being quarterbacks. :bricks:

Tom retiring is another low shot to the knee away....I think another Pollard hit and its over...otherwise I see him playing until 38

I disagree. With Tom's seemingly burning passion and desire to play this game + his work ethic, I could easily see him coming back again from another major injury.

I see Brady more of a Favre-ian type QB, who you will have to literally pry away from the game. I think Brett Favre was 'one Bernard Pollard hit away' from retiring, and that was at the age of 40..not Tom Brady.

Brady would be back the next yr, and would obviously still be the HOF QB that he was before this supposed 'hit.'

Matt Ryan in the running for 1st ballot HOF?

That's hilarious. Maybe he can battle it out on the first ballot with Joe Flacco.

Matt Ryan in the running for 1st ballot HOF?

That's hilarious. Maybe he can battle it out on the first ballot with Joe Flacco.

Don't forget Ryan Mallett. He's got to be up there as well.

'Signs of his age' at 33 yrs old??? / 34 into next season? And you bring up Donovan McNabb, who's actually older and has to improvise/scramble around more in an athletic setting? Brady hardly has to move, besides an occasional side-step away from pressure. Even when he gets sacked, he goes down a lot more carefully (it seems) now.

He's 3 yrs removed from his 20's, maybe we should take him out back and shoot him like an old dog? In the meantime, he can shuffle around with his cane or his walker and wing the ball downfield for another MVP season.

He's not playing RB, CB, or WR--although as we have seen, there have been many that have continued to play even those high speed positions very well into their mid-late 30's. With 4 yrs left on a brand new contract, I would suspect that Brady will, at the very least, finish his contract out here. That takes us into the spring of 2015 before having to make a decision. By then, there's the possibility that you yourself, may be getting further along in your late 20's/early 30's ;)

He's as immobile as a planted tree, who needs to gather enough breath to call out the audibles/reads, snap the ball and throw it--lol. I imagine that he will be able to do that just fine, and that would take him into a season where he'd be 38. His practices may be cut down over the course of time, he may not be there for 2x a days in TC in a few yrs (every time), and he may take it easier with certain aspects, but he is still always going to be the golden boy QB who is the center of the NFL--even if he has to wheel himself out to the huddle every series.

I do agree with you in the sense that the QB position as a whole looks better than in yrs past, and that it is great to be looking toward the future. I do not mind the Mallett pick in the least, actually I was a big supporter of reloading the offense, despite leading the NFL in pts again. What you have to be careful of though, is giving into the hype machine for Mallett, who has not done one single thing as of yet. I do agree that he likely has an incredible skillset, and that any off the field concerns should be put to rest in this specific setting. He will have the opportunity to learn, work hard, and flourish under the masters of BB/Brady. On the other hand, just keep in mind that he still needs to eventually somehow prove himself--and that is a major unknown right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday