PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac as 2024 Pats QB still possible

It’s March 2021, Cam Newton and what remains of his right shoulder has surprisingly been resigned and is the presumed starting QB. Patriots agree to deals with Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor within the first 24 hours of the legal tampering period. It’s about the money.

Unless someone offers them an incredible offer to trade down in the first round, the Patriots are drafting a QB despite their other areas of need. There are 3 QBs in this draft with elite skill sets. When that opportunity presents itself, you can’t pass it up.

I believe Drake Maye will be the one still on the board at #3. He’s young and less experienced than you like. There’s no way he should get on the field until he’s ready and until he has an Oline that can adequately pass block and another receiver who can get open against man coverage. The same for Jayden Daniels if he should be the pick.

Bridge midge, what’s wrong with competition people? You don’t get the drafted QB ready by having a Jacoby Brissett around to show him how to make poor reads and throw interceptions. Bailey Zappe, as a rookie, totally outclassed Brissett when they started against each other in 2022. Competition is how you establish a QB not anointing one.

With reclaimed confidence, Mac Jones is better than any QB available this offseason other than Cousins or Mayfield, and neither of them is signing here in March. If Jones beats out Zappe, let him play and see what happens. Maybe, you can get a 2nd for him at the trade deadline from a team desperate for a QB because of an injury or if he plays real well then franchise him to trade like Cassel in 2009.

I’m an optimist and don’t believe we’re necessarily looking at a multi- year rebuild here. But, we’re not competing for a Lombardi in 2024. Why sell low on an asset that you might be able to reclaim its value to get a higher return especially when other short-term options available to you aren’t any better?

Great post. If we look at it rationally we would want to sell stock when it has appreciated and not when it us at its lowest.

We need to be realistic and know where we stand w. At this point of time , we still need 1 game changing wide receiver, 1 franchise qb, 1 Solid LT, 1 solid swing tackle and 1 TE and 1 backup QB.

Can we get all these in a single draft. Probably not.

Can we make the postseason this year in the hyper competitive AFC... chances are remote .

Considering these our expectation this year is to build the team to trenches and find the core pieces for 2025 something that lions did in 2022.

Kraft might say he wants to go to postseason and win another ring but reality is this is a multi year rebuild and Kraft would want fans to come and see the games for next 2 years before the team gets back to relevancy. So uts all about the dollars. So with all these permutations and combinations I see the Patriots doing the following

1. Draft a qb at 3 - its a given . They would need this to make sure they attract competent OC, Get people excited to buy tickets and possibly get one of the marquee wide receivers in free agency. But more than these the most important reason to draft qb would be the incentive to have qb on rookie contract for another 4 years. They are not picking MACs option .

2. Keep Mac as QB3 and start the season with him to see what he can do with a new coordinator and if he has the urge to excel in a do or die year for him. If Mac excels we trade him for decent comp and if he fails we get a Decent draft position in 2025. Win win either way. Only challenge is will people come to watch games. They need to sign tee higgins. I don't think he will get franchise tagged .

3. Release zappe and get a veteran qb - brissett if available for 6 million AAV. Or Russell wilson on 2 year contract 12 million guaranteed with no trade clause.

Jimmy G still shouldn't be in a sentence with those two based on accompaniments I wish both had his ceiling. I wouldn't want him as bridge QB either he's too injury prone.

Jimmy G's ceiling has gotten lower and lower with every injured season. And I still think he was a product of the Shanahan offense and not that he was ever that good.

Says to me he knew he failed his coach. Kraft knew then. It was either the Coach, or Jonathan and the Master of Interceptions, Captain of Tattletales, Pinocchio, pulling Stromboli's strings.

Jimmy G's ceiling has gotten lower and lower with every injured season. And I still think he was a product of the Shanahan offense and not that he was ever that good.
Rob it doesn't matter about his ceiling I am saying Jimmy G will have more wins that those two scrubs in their NFL careers. Jimmy can play he just have durability issues 7 games Jimmy then IR.

Fair. I was trying to outline a possible path back to being a relevant NFL QB. It’s a tough climb. He might fail or he might learn.

Mayo heralded conditioning in his intro speech. He talked about leaders on that side of the ball. Mac (and a few others) should have been listening. If he doesn’t adapt, he won’t be around much longer.
Sorry to belabor the point, Mac already puts a lot of effort into conditioning. He is reported to have put on muscle since he was demoted and was at the Mayo press conference because he was in the building working out. The amount of work he puts in is the only thing that his teammates respect about him. There are others who should heed your warning.

mac jones to the new rookie qb in camp

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Office

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
Rob it doesn't matter about his ceiling I am saying Jimmy G will have more wins that those two scrubs in their NFL careers. Jimmy can play he just have durability issues 7 games Jimmy then IR.

But I am not advocating having either of those guys back.

And I don't know if the 2024 Jimmy G is much better than either of those guys. He was downright awful last year and was benched for performance issues and his replacement, a rookie 4th round draft pick, was better than him.

It’s March 2021, Cam Newton and what remains of his right shoulder has surprisingly been resigned and is the presumed starting QB. Patriots agree to deals with Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor within the first 24 hours of the legal tampering period. It’s about the money.

Unless someone offers them an incredible offer to trade down in the first round, the Patriots are drafting a QB despite their other areas of need. There are 3 QBs in this draft with elite skill sets. When that opportunity presents itself, you can’t pass it up.

I believe Drake Maye will be the one still on the board at #3. He’s young and less experienced than you like. There’s no way he should get on the field until he’s ready and until he has an Oline that can adequately pass block and another receiver who can get open against man coverage. The same for Jayden Daniels if he should be the pick.

Bridge midge, what’s wrong with competition people? You don’t get the drafted QB ready by having a Jacoby Brissett around to show him how to make poor reads and throw interceptions. Bailey Zappe, as a rookie, totally outclassed Brissett when they started against each other in 2022. Competition is how you establish a QB not anointing one.

With reclaimed confidence, Mac Jones is better than any QB available this offseason other than Cousins or Mayfield, and neither of them is signing here in March. If Jones beats out Zappe, let him play and see what happens. Maybe, you can get a 2nd for him at the trade deadline from a team desperate for a QB because of an injury or if he plays real well then franchise him to trade like Cassel in 2009.

I’m an optimist and don’t believe we’re necessarily looking at a multi- year rebuild here. But, we’re not competing for a Lombardi in 2024. Why sell low on an asset that you might be able to reclaim its value to get a higher return especially when other short-term options available to you aren’t any better?
Play powerball much?? get me a winning ticket too that's the only way that would happen. After last year we shouldn't be making bold predictions regarding Mac when you wish upon a star.
Wish Upon A Star GIF by Super Simple

Last edited:
Mac's continuous panic attack of a season led him to be the 30th ranked QB by DVOA this year at -21.8%.

Truly awful.

Somehow, Zappe managed to be even worse, 36th out of 36 by DVOA with an incredible -43.5% DVOA.

2023 QB DVOA (pay walled)

I guessed at 200 attempts as a cutoff, resulting in a list that had 36 QBs on it.

It’s January and Mac is still on the roster? You don’t say? Things change quickly in a matter of months.

There is no way this guy can be on the roster come training camp unless he has a miraculous turnaround that they make a movie about. I don’t want him anywhere near a rookie franchise qb as some kind of mentor come April as it stands.

They need to define who will be the OC and the system ASAP in order to evaluate all those things, Mac staying , draft, and FA

Until that definition its hard to evaluate anything

Why would anyone want Garropolo at this point? You cannot count on him to stay healthy. And he looked as bad as Mac Jones or Zappe did last year. He was awful. And he had real weapons to work with. Hard pass unless he comes in on the veteran minimum (which would never happen) and the Pats get another starting quality QB (then why would they need Jimmy G anyway?).

I’m just throwing out names of veteran QB’s who won’t cost too much to get through 24’ while the rookie learns the offense. I don’t want guys like Cousins or Wilson, but I would be fine with Tannehill, Minshew etc..

Sorry to belabor the point, Mac already puts a lot of effort into conditioning. He is reported to have put on muscle since he was demoted and was at the Mayo press conference because he was in the building working out. The amount of work he puts in is the only thing that his teammates respect about him. There are others who should heed your warning.
It didn’t look like it at the beginning of year 3.

I have no idea, probably the week of the trade deadline. It doesn't matter since nothing materilized, just like during the spring. There was zero interest from other teams. That's why part of a package deal w/ draft pick swaps is the more likely way he'll get traded. He's damaged goods.
Week 7 looks like a bad week for you since Corky beat Buffalo. That was on 10/22 and 9 days till the trade deadline.

Assuming your story is true, don't these deals take time to negotiate?

What's well documented is that Bill wanted to keep Fat Matt as OC and Kraft insisted in bringing in a real OC
Because BB was dealing Corky away.
but left it up to Bill to conduct the search. Bill picked BoB.
Nope.

Patricia got canned and BOB replaced him per GM Bob Kraft.

"Well, everyone manages in a different way. I can only speak for myself. I try to hire the best people I can," Kraft said. "I give them accountability, full authority to do as they please, hold them accountable. But if things aren't going the way I'd like, we meet in private and have our discussions and make changes. It's something we've done this year. I'm very happy that we were able to bring in a new offensive coordinator to help develop our young quarterback Mac Jones. I think bringing in Bill O'Brien has been a big plus for our franchise. And that was done in full cooperation with Coach Belichick. I'm very excited about our team for next year."
es, that's the reaction of an owner you insist wants to keep Mac as QB1. Lol

That will also be your reaction when you finally realize that Kraft is running show.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back