PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of Competition For Roster Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like 4 WR's at all. We need a 5th.....whoever it is from wherever. Use Watson's spot.....seems like the best fit for me.

Edelman will make it at WR (5) and due to the versality he brings to the roster. Wildcat as a change of pace a package could be developed for him.

Redd I think has the tools to be a contributor at OLB. If McKenzie isn't seriously injured I think he will stick at ILB. IO Alexander & Appleby don't make it 9 LB's will be on the roster.

Edelman will make it at WR (5) and due to the versality he brings to the roster. Wildcat as a change of pace a package could be developed for him.

Redd I think has the tools to be a contributor at OLB. If McKenzie isn't seriously injured I think he will stick at ILB. IO Alexander & Appleby don't make it 9 LB's will be on the roster.

Doubt it on Edelman; he has practice squad written all over him.

Aiken, Slater, and Ventrone were our #5, #6 and #7 WR last year. I listed all three competing for the last three roster spots. I expect one of them to make it, giving us 5 receivers on the 53 man roster. Also Tate will be on the PUP list.

Three TE's are absolutely required, given Belichick's greater emphasis on the run game. I think four is more likely than two, although I don't expect four.

I don't like 4 WR's at all. We need a 5th.....whoever it is from wherever. Use Watson's spot.....seems like the best fit for me.

Aiken, Slater, and Ventrone were our #5, #6 and #7 WR last year. I listed all three competing for the last three roster spots. I expect one of them to make it, giving us 5 receivers on the 53 man roster. Also Tate will be on the PUP list.

Three TE's are absolutely required, given Belichick's greater emphasis on the run game. I think four is more likely than two, although I don't expect four.

I'd argue Aiken was a clear #4 on the depth chart last season. I personally don't think Lewis is a lock.

Can't argue with any of the other choices on your roster.

Why so many have Slater being on the bubble puzzles me...He was one of their better special teamers last year on both coverage and returns, hard to see him not as one of the leading candidates to replace Hobbs as the kick returner this year.

Why so many have Slater being on the bubble puzzles me...He was one of their better special teamers last year on both coverage and returns, hard to see him not as one of the leading candidates to replace Hobbs as the kick returner this year.
For the same reason Hobbs is hated by so many of the same folks, one mistake, or perceived mistake, and that player must be a failure and cut from the team.

I'll want to see how well Slater does on returns in preseason. For now I'd prefer to list Maroney as the primary returner with Slater as his up man and lead blocker, something he excelled at last season. The lead blocker's role may also be affected by the impact of the new wedge rules, a lead blocker may not be as important as he has been in the past.

Tate's progress will also decide who gets worked out as returner. Shun White is another excellent returner now on the roster. Wheatley was pretty good in college, but I suspect he won't get used there. Butler might though.

For the same reason Hobbs is hated by so many of the same folks, one mistake, or perceived mistake, and that player must be a failure and cut from the team.

I'll want to see how well Slater does on returns in preseason. For now I'd prefer to list Maroney as the primary returner with Slater as his up man and lead blocker, something he excelled at last season. The lead blocker's role may also be affected by the impact of the new wedge rules, a lead blocker may not be as important as he has been in the past.

What about Faulk being used in the role again? He was the primary returner for a couple of years and has gotten kicks every year since he was drafted, any chance he takes it over while Slater readies for the role?

Tate's progress will also decide who gets worked out as returner. Shun White is another excellent returner now on the roster. Wheatley was pretty good in college, but I suspect he won't get used there. Butler might though.

That's assuming White can make the team or is even allowed to play in the pros(for another thread...)...Tate I can see taking over in 2010 once he's fully recovered. I don't think Wheatley would be the right choice, I'd rather see him blocking than receiving.

What about Faulk being used in the role again? He was the primary returner for a couple of years and has gotten kicks every year since he was drafted, any chance he takes it over while Slater readies for the role?
Faulk is an emergency return man, he or Morris should have been the guys getting the call last Fall against Pittsburgh. He won't get you much more than 20 yds, but he's a good mudder. Like I said earlier, I'd like to see Slater work as a return man, he may settle down and be good at it, we'll see.
That's assuming White can make the team or is even allowed to play in the pros(for another thread...)...Tate I can see taking over in 2010 once he's fully recovered. I don't think Wheatley would be the right choice, I'd rather see him blocking than receiving.
Wheatley as a blocker? No thanks, I'm counting on him challenging for a starter's job at CB. I can see trying him as a return man to build depth, but with his injury history to date I'd be hesitant about taking him from his primary job.

When Larry Okie started to get old, BB imported another pro-bowl Tcaptain type from Buffalo that was younger. Sam Akins is that guy. He surpised me in that he actually produced some important catches as a WR too. He stays at Captain of the ST teams and a nominal WR.

When Larry Okie started to get old, BB imported another pro-bowl Tcaptain type from Buffalo that was younger. Sam Akins is that guy. He surpised me in that he actually produced some important catches as a WR too. He stays at Captain of the ST teams and a nominal WR.

He's on the bubble because he is just a special teamer. Guys like Slater come and go all the time especially if they are victims of the numbers game of the 53 man roster. The Pats drafted 12 players this year with six of them in the first three rounds and eight of them in the first five. You gotta think 7-8 rookies make the roster. The Pats have also added a lot of free agents without losing that many players. Somebody has to get cut.

Personally, I think any player that hasn't contributed on offense or defense so far in their career (other than the rookies) are potential targets to be cut. That includes Slater. There are only 53 roster spots and the Pats have added a lot of free agents and rookies many of which will get roster spots.

Personally, I think any player that hasn't contributed on offense or defense so far in their career (other than the rookies) are potential targets to be cut. That includes Slater. There are only 53 roster spots and the Pats have added a lot of free agents and rookies many of which will get roster spots.

This year, even more than before, may find all 53 players, and certainly all 45, having starter-level skills. Slater was an exciting prospect last year, but every position he COULD flex to is full, in my mind. I'd like to see this crazy speed, but with some many decent KR options... gonna be hard for him to make the cut, I think.

And Faulk and Welker are good Punt Returners. That's nerve-wracking enough. Returning kicks? Blargh! No thanks.

Anyone else think Le Kevin Smith might get the nod over Jarvis Green for the 6th D-line spot? Green has a cap hit of 5.4 million (we save 2.04 mil if we cut him) and i don't think he played well last year at all. Also, i think 5 WRs are a must, so i include Aiken as a roster lock.

I guess if we really needed the cap money to get Taylor, we might cut or trade Green. However, I don't see us cutting Green to keep LeKevin.

I expect the last 3 roster spots to be LeKevin Smith, a WR/ST (Aiken, Slater or Ventrone) and a LB/ST (Redd or Alexander), so I expect both Green and Smith to make the team.

I don't see why Aiken would be a lock as the #5 receiver over Slater and Ventrone.

Anyone else think Le Kevin Smith might get the nod over Jarvis Green for the 6th D-line spot? Green has a cap hit of 5.4 million (we save 2.04 mil if we cut him) and i don't think he played well last year at all. Also, i think 5 WRs are a must, so i include Aiken as a roster lock.

Is there any chance of Jarvis Green playing OLB on 3rd downs?

I think that was the expectation when he was drafted, and he has done so in the past. But, who is who the best pass rusher among Green, Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain?

Is there any chance of Jarvis Green playing OLB on 3rd downs?

I think that was the expectation when he was drafted, and he has done so in the past. But, who is who the best pass rusher among Green, Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain?

Yeah, good point. Just seems like that makes Green the least bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back