PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Mainly Speculation on next years draft FA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not tortured, they're just pressured in a way that leaves no lasting physical or psychological damage.

PFIV, I'm angry because I just laughed so hard that I spit out my drink. And I'm drinking a very nice glass of port, thank you very much.

you know what they say about port drinkers, don't you....?

They're not tortured, they're just pressured in a way that leaves no lasting physical or psychological damage.

Good counter, though I disagree. Not on Washington, although we do still have 8 games left. I think he's gone too. I agree Welker stays, and Moss stays unless he makes truly stratospheric demands. Gaffney, yes. Stallworth...?

If I'm his agent if/when he is cut for not restructuring, I say -

- My guy caught ___ of Tom Brady's TD passes
- My guy woulda coulda shoulda caught more, except, well, RANDY MOSS.
- My guy has a super bowl XLII ring, and knows about winning and team building (this seems to have worked for Patten, Givens, and Branch.)
- My guy is worth 6M a year, just not to the Patriots.

The above assumes good numbers through the rest of this season for Stallworth, and obviously a super bowl. Neither of these seem unlikely to me.

I think he gets that 6M/y if he wants it elsewhere. I have no idea whether he values playing in NE enough to do so under a restructured deal that cuts him down a peg.

PFnV

A restructured deal doesn't have to cut him down a whit. It's bookeeping, that's what cap management is. The going rate for top tier #1 WR's is in the $7-8M+ range. Having this guy tied up at $6M per through 2012 with the ability to simply re-structure his cap hits at $3.5M in 2008 and $4.3M in 2009 - that's comparable to what they were willing to have Givens count in 2008-2009 in a deal structured back in 2005 - the era before the cap exploded.

And Stallworth has proven over time to be more productive and explosive than Givens ever was. Givens was never more than a very solid #2. Stallworth is a very solid #1 willing to play the #2 role on a roster that includes a certifiable freak, for a while. You won't find a potential future #1 willing to assume that role because they all have egos and aspirations. Or like Caldwell they lack the talent to even cover as a #1 in a pinch (all the while stressing a HOF QB to the max...). Then replacing Stallworth on the roster in 2010-2012 when Randy is either gone or no longer as freakish will cost a lot more than $7.5M against what will by then be a $130-140M+ cap. By then #1's will be routinely commanding $8-10M.

If they want Tommy to continue to play nice at extension time, as he has here from the outset, they will not frig with "his receivers" having for once located and secured 3 high functioning models. Were they to do that and say Randy pulls both hammies over the course of the 2008 season, or CJ blow out the other ACL in his first pre season, we might be looking to draft a QB high as early as 2009. Because the 6th highest paid QB in the league full of overhype could be getting a little too pissed to keep playing nice. :rolleyes:

I've already mentioned in another thread that the fourth pick in the draft would be worth both first round picks from Dallas and Marion Barber III.

Even better. I'll take both and Marion Barber. I don't know if Dallas would do it (the Patriots wouldn't in their place), but I sure would.

Even better. I'll take both and Marion Barber. I don't know if Dallas would do it (the Patriots wouldn't in their place), but I sure would.

I would not dismiss this trade idea.

1.) Jerry Jones has proven that he will pay big bucks for what he wants. Honestly that mindset has got to factor in to his thinking when he is drafting players he is obsessed with (Mcfadden)

2.) McFadden is a franchise type back. If he stepped into Dallas and ran like everyone thinks he can that = less carries for Barber.

3.) The cowboys have two lower first round choices. Cleveland's will prob be in the late teens, and Dallas could pick as late as 28 - 31. Both those first round choices and Barber are worth the fourth overall and a possible "game breaker" type player. Adding Mcfadden to an already explosive Dallas D would bring the wow factor jones craves.

4.) I would love this trade. I know it will not happen , but I would love it. Maroney has proven he has game breaking ability, but at this point in his career he is injury prone. Barber would be perfect to compliment Maroney.

5.) Imagine a rb core of Maroney , Barber , Morris and Faulk?

Last edited:
I would not dismiss this trade idea.

1.) Jerry Jones has proven that he will pay big bucks for what he wants...
3.) The cowboys have two lower first round choices. Cleveland's will prob be in the late teens, and Dallas could pick as late as 28 - 31. Both those first round choices and Barber are worth the fourth overall and a possible "game breaker" type player.

I would tend to think Jones is willing to part with his 2 1st rounders just to trade up to get to the Pats' selection. No way do I believe he'll part with Barber.

Recall that when he and Jimmy Johnson were rebuilding Dallas 17 years ago, the Pats (pre-Kraft) traded their #1 overall pick to the Cowboys for several lower picks and a couple of roster players. The Pats have been pretty kind to Jerry.

Personally I would like to have McFadden and Maroney in the backfield. It is not often that you get a chance to get a top 10 draft pick. If there is a guy there that BB likes he will keep it and pay the money. With all of the compliments he has given Moss this year I can't see Moss signing with any other team. He will get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back