PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead: A timetable of next steps

Who isn't supporting him?

I think people are looking around, as we should, to see what the structure is.

The easiest thing in the world for management is to make coaches their sacrificial lamb.

Most of the NFL has a structure that places all the blame on the coach, and that's what the coaches are paid for, but very few have a structure that consistently wins.

In every case where a team wins consistently over years, the coaches have enormous power (KC, SF, LAR, BUF, BALT, PITT). Dallas and Philadelphia are the only 2 outliers. And Philly hasnt been winning for more than 2 years anyway. Denver is the only team with a strong HC who hasn't won, but he just got there.
U get everything your saying. It's not yourself in particular however he's the next HC and we need to have faith In him is all I'm saying.

Who isn't supporting him?

I think people are looking around, as we should, to see what the structure is.

The easiest thing in the world for management is to make coaches their sacrificial lamb.

Most of the NFL has a structure that places all the blame on the coach, and that's what the coaches are paid for, but very few have a structure that consistently wins.

In every case where a team wins consistently over years, the coaches have enormous power (KC, SF, LAR, BUF, BALT, PITT). Dallas and Philadelphia are the only 2 outliers. And Philly hasnt been winning for more than 2 years anyway. Denver is the only team with a strong HC who hasn't won, but he just got there.
BB managed everything, he didn't do that his first year, he got that power over time. With Mayo as coach he won't have that power, they'll hire a GM and every other job down the line. If the GM sucks, they'll fire him and hire another. Same with OC. Let's see who they hire for these positions over the next few weeks.

BB managed everything, he didn't do that his first year, he got that power over time. With Mayo as coach he won't have that power, they'll hire a GM and every other job down the line. If the GM sucks, they'll fire him and hire another. Same with OC. Let's see who they hire for these positions over the next few weeks.
Agreed. People in all types of professional sports got thier start somehow one way or another. Erik spolstra was a video assistant in the beginning for the Miami heat who got a chance, Bill was a staffer, then STs who got a chance with the Giants as DC.

Mayo will now have his. We know about Vrabel and other possible coaches however Mayo was chosen. He will be able to create his own legacy let's hope he does well!

Mayo has only been coaching for a few years. He has split the job on defense with Steve B. So, not even a coordinator on his own. Yes, he may be very smart and in a few years make a very good HC somewhere but not now with the NEP. You have a proven commodity in Mike Vrable. Vrable should get the job. Mayo would be a colossal gamble. We don't need to gamble!!!

Mayo has only been coaching for a few years. He has split the job on defense with Steve B. So, not even a coordinator on his own. Yes, he may be very smart and in a few years make a very good HC somewhere but not now with the NEP. You have a proven commodity in Mike Vrable. Vrable should get the job. Mayo would be a colossal gamble. We don't need to gamble!!!
They know more about Mayo in the building than we do from the outside and the Krafts usually don't make dumb decisions. We'll see how it goes but I'm optimistic they put the right people in the right positions to turn this around.

BB cut and traded several stars in those first 2 years. He certainly had a huge say over personnel.

U get everything your saying. It's not yourself in particular however he's the next HC and we need to have faith In him is all I'm saying.
Again, this was a critique of management structure. Not Mayo. Read my post.

Again, this was a critique of management structure. Not Mayo. Read my post.
I did. Again I wasn't specifically saying you were NOT in support there were a few other posters who were. Mayo is tied to Bill he'll have to create his own style and create his own legacy here. No one of course will ever replace a man who dedicated his life to the NFL. Bill reportedly asked Mayo mulptile times when he was at NBC sports Boston to come coach. So the succession clause will start to become a popular tool whenever owners want certain coaches elevated on thier teams. I'm more concerned about the talent who will be the QB? What to do with Mac? If Mayo can get the right QB and we can have say a Texans like resurgence that would be great.

Mayo is a BB guy, drafted, was a team captain and was asked to come coach by Bill. Mayo was also asked by BB if he wanted the title of DC he said no he wanted to earn it. He's been a coach for 5 seasons here. He's not a former volleyball player or lacrosse player that was asked to coach NFL football. Vrabel is a dam good HC, however the last few seasons with the coaching staff here was a disaster. Let's worry about the talent well have to get and judge Mayo when the games count.

Kraft is not going to intentionally sabotage his 5 billion dollar assets. I am sure he is very confident that Mayo will be successful.

Kraft is not going to intentionally sabotage his 5 billion dollar assets. I am sure he is very confident that Mayo will be successful.
Kraft lost me with this one. It's a gamble at best. No experience at all. Hasn't even been a coordinator.

Kraft lost me with this one. It's a gamble at best. No experience at all. Hasn't even been a coordinator.
any head coach here is a gamble.
Pats decision makers have had years to watch Mayo on a daily basis from innside the organization.

For Vrabel, Harbaugh or any other external candidate, they have no idea how they would fit in with culture or commitment to the region.

Mayo loves living in New England and teh Krafts know he will get along within the organization...those are 2 big risk factors taken of the board.

any head coach here is a gamble.
Pats decision makers have had years to watch Mayo on a daily basis from innside the organization.

For Vrabel, Harbaugh or any other external candidate, they have no idea how they would fit in with culture or commitment to the region.

Mayo loves living in New England and teh Krafts know he will get along within the organization...those are 2 big risk factors taken of the board.
My opinion is that both Vrable and Harbaugh are proven coaches. Mayo IS NOT. I believe that someday Mayo MAY be a good coach but he hasn't shown anything yet. All he's been is a Co-cordinator with Steve B. I don't believe you can equate that to the level of Vrable or Harbaugh.

My opinion is that both Vrable and Harbaugh are proven coaches. Mayo IS NOT. I believe that someday Mayo MAY be a good coach but he hasn't shown anything yet. All he's been is a Co-cordinator with Steve B. I don't believe you can equate that to the level of Vrable or Harbaugh.
Siriani in his first year as head coach took Eagles to the SB. He was not a proven head coach.

He gambled on Bill too! Mayo wasn't playing lacrosse and decided to coach football. Guy brings some pedigree as a player and a coach to the position. So have some hope!

If he loses this weekend, I am convinced Bill will go there and they could be a SB team in 25
And the good thing about that is Bill would be strictly a HC. Roseman has the GM job on lock there! What hurt Bill was his staff and roster decisions the past few seasons. Wherever he goes he'll be the HC not personnel guy!

He gambled on Bill too!
All coaching decisions are somewhat of a gamble but BB already had two Super Bowl rings as a DC and defensive success at multiple franchises over nearly 2 decades.

All coaching decisions are somewhat of a gamble but BB already had two Super Bowl rings as a DC and defensive success at multiple franchises over nearly 2 decades.
Even after that he was tarred and feathered in Cleveland.
joe pesci feathers GIF

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back