PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead: A timetable of next steps

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We now have vacancies at every Football Operations position. There's two parallel tracks needing to be filled in GM and Head Coach.

1. A GM will likely want to have a say in who the next HC is
2. We can't make a HC hire without also interviewing two coaches from an underrepresented background
3. Thus, Mayo is the only quick HC hire we could make. Eric Bienemy is the other but we still likely find a GM first.

Am I missing anything?

That sounds right. Seen yesterday there were like 16 GM interviews across the league?

We now have vacancies at every Football Operations position. There's two parallel tracks needing to be filled in GM and Head Coach.

2. We can't make a HC hire without also interviewing two coaches from an underrepresented background
3. Thus, Mayo is the only quick HC hire we could make. Eric Bienemy is the other but we still likely find a GM first.
The only possible exception to the Rooney rule is if a coach has a contract clause automatically promoting them in the case of a vacancy. [I say possible b/c this may have been rescinded.]

By all accounts, Mayo was not given such a clause; if he were, he'd be the HC right now. Therefore, the Patriots must interview two external candidates.

This is why I preferred to have this decision made as quickly as possible.

Washington first put together a 5-man advisory committe, and has already interviewed five top candidates. The Raiders have also interviewed multiple candidates.

We have no way of knowing where the Patriots are in this process, but they are competing with other teams that have already gotten off to a head start and quick lead. They need to request for interviews as soon as possible, but who will be doing the interviewing?

Bringing in some experienced outsiders like Washington has done sounds like a good idea. Would the Krafts be open to that idea? And would doing so just put them further behind? I would have hoped that they would have planned this all out several weeks ago - but the fact that they waited four days just to make today's BB announcement doesn't give me much confidence that the Krafts made such a plan.

Am I missing anything?
I think the Rooney Rule still applies if we want to hire Mayo.

This is why I preferred to have this decision made as quickly as possible.

Washington first put together a 5-man advisory committe, and has already interviewed five top candidates. The Raiders have also interviewed multiple candidates.

We have no way of knowing where the Patriots are in this process, but they are competing with other teams that have already gotten off to a head start and quick lead. They need to request for interviews as soon as possible, but who will be doing the interviewing?

Bringing in some experienced outsiders like Washington has done sounds like a good idea. Would the Krafts be open to that idea? And would doing so just put them further behind? I would have hoped that they would have planned this all out several weeks ago - but the fact that they waited four days just to make today's BB announcement doesn't give me much confidence that the Krafts made such a plan.
I wish we could put together an outside team who has skin the game. I do not trust the Krafts with this decision.

I wish we could put together an outside team who has skin the game. I do not trust the Krafts with this decision.
I'm fine with Mayo or Vrabel because I want continuity for the defense.

I might even prefer Vrabel more because he'll bring over coaches with him.

Mayo is concerning in that he'll be competing with Belichick for coaches.

Of course, the O'Brien/McDaniels situation should be an even bigger concern for everyone.

Why don't you trust the Krafts? What makes you not trust them?

In BB and Pete Carroll they arguably hired the two most successful coaches in the NFL the last 20+ years.

Why don't you trust the Krafts? What makes you not trust them?

In BB and Pete Carroll they arguably hired the two most successful coaches in the NFL the last 20+ years.
Robert is older and Jonathan doesn't come off as being nearly as capable as younger Robert was.

Of course, the O'Brien/McDaniels situation should be an even bigger concern for everyone.
What’s the concern for BoB and McD? They’re both not part of the organization, right? Am I missing something?

That's also my thought. Mayo has only been coaching for 4 seasons, never a coordinator and has never left New England. Who is he reaching out to for positions??? How can this possibly even work? All he's been around is Bill's guys so what would be the point?

BoB was brought over by Kraft. Now what?
I was asking you a genuine question. What is your concern. In regards to your now what, well I believe once a new head coach is hired BoB will be gone. That is if he doesn’t find a job somewhere else first.

Anybody have any thoughts about Slowik the Texans OC. If we are making a break from the old Patriots way, let make it clean and start a new Patriots way.

Just listening to Barth/Lazar on Catch 22 and they made a fantastically interesting point. BB made pretty much EVERY football decision. BB is now gone. As such there is a complete vacuum on the football side when it comes to making decisions. At such a crucial time of the year we can't afford to have that vacuum in place. As such you have to think decisions will be made soon.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back