PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead: A timetable of next steps

I did. Again I wasn't specifically saying you were NOT in support there were a few other posters who were. Mayo is tied to Bill he'll have to create his own style and create his own legacy here. No one of course will ever replace a man who dedicated his life to the NFL. Bill reportedly asked Mayo mulptile times when he was at NBC sports Boston to come coach. So the succession clause will start to become a popular tool whenever owners want certain coaches elevated on thier teams. I'm more concerned about the talent who will be the QB? What to do with Mac? If Mayo can get the right QB and we can have say a Texans like resurgence that would be great.
This is the thing. If Belichick had a QB, he could've succeeded too!

So the move can't be about finding a QB. It has to be more about Belichick and Kraft simply not being able to abide by one another any more.

Even after that he was tarred and feathered in Cleveland.
joe pesci feathers GIF
For getting rid of their favorite hometown boy Bernie Kosar. They immediately went 9-4 after he was given the heave-ho.

Apparently, some people don't like winning very much.

I guess this thread never needed to exist given that there was a clause in Mayo's contract that he becomes the next head coach. Move along...

So the move can't be about finding a QB. It has to be more about Belichick and Kraft simply not being able to abide by one another any more.
Or Jerry Jones keeps reminding Kraft behind those closed door owners meetings how his Team sucks without Brady.

It from this point on is about getting the QB.. as Kraft said the last 4 years we're Unacceptable. Bill is gone and he deserves to be celebrated. However Mayo is the coach, and from this date on is about the QB. And you perfectly said it! "If Bill had a QB" he had one from 2001-2019.

All coaching decisions are somewhat of a gamble but BB already had two Super Bowl rings as a DC and defensive success at multiple franchises over nearly 2 decades.
He did, that's Bill true. like Brady are NFL unicorns there will never ,ever be another coach or QB who were as dedicated and committed as they were. His coaching tenure was contentious in NYJ as be didn't get along with ownership.

I think smart leadership would be to have an independent "football operations guy" that is on the sidelines but reports to GM/Jonathan.

Mayo will need some equal-powered accountability because he's so young & new.
If he chooses his own asst's and they're all young/new that will be bad for the organization and winning, so the Krafts need to have some sort of approval system in place for filling out this staff.

I think smart leadership would be to have an independent "football operations guy" that is on the sidelines but reports to GM/Jonathan.

Mayo will need some equal-powered accountability because he's so young & new.
If he chooses his own asst's and they're all young/new that will be bad for the organization and winning, so the Krafts need to have some sort of approval system in place for filling out this staff.
The benefit that Mayo has that is so important is he has been part of the organization as a player and of course coach since 2008. He is connected to Bill and has been a sponge to what Bill has given him. He knows the operation inside and out. He should be focusing on brilliant offensive people that believe in analytics, sports science.. things like that.

I believe BOB stays and he gets to fully implement his offensive system and additions to his staff.

The benefit that Mayo has that is so important is he has been part of the organization as a player and of course coach since 2008. He is connected to Bill and has been a sponge to what Bill has given him. He knows the operation inside and out. He should be focusing on brilliant offensive people that believe in analytics, sports science.. things like that.

I believe BOB stays and he gets to fully implement his offensive system and additions to his staff.
I think that would be about as good as it could get - with BOB staying (I just don't know if Mayo wants to keep competition around?)

If BOB kept Asst. HC title, and got some say in drafting and FA offensive players, that'd be the quickest road to a winning season...
We'll see if the decision makers have wisdom or not.

Patriots.com has announced there will be a press conference announcing the appointment of Mayo as head coach on Wednesday the 17th January at noon.

I think that would be about as good as it could get - with BOB staying (I just don't know if Mayo wants to keep competition around?)

If BOB kept Asst. HC title, and got some say in drafting and FA offensive players, that'd be the quickest road to a winning season...
We'll see if the decision makers have wisdom or not.
That's very true. I believe BOB would have a choice to stay if he wanted. The good thing is judge is gone. We do know that Mayo will have this defense top 5.. if we can get the offense to be top 15 we are back In contention.

Zappe and Jones are not the answer so time to move on. Find a quality back up and then draft Jayden Daniels??
Or after the QB debacle that took place in the '21 draft pick an OT Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu.
No matter what they do, there are many QB's who could perform better than what we witnessed this year, never recall in my 50+ years of Patsfandom such poor QB play as I did this year, abysmal is too nice a word.

Zappe and Jones are not the answer so time to move on. Find a quality back up and then draft Jayden Daniels??
Or after the QB debacle that took place in the '21 draft pick an OT Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu.
No matter what they do, there are many QB's who could perform better than what we witnessed this year, never recall in my 50+ years of Patsfandom such poor QB play as I did this year, abysmal is too nice a word.
Agreed! Let me ask. What do you think about a second for fields? Taking Harrison Jr at #3?

Referring to post brady. The QB position is so bad right now. We don't even have a capable back up.
This is irrelevant but Zappe is a capable backup. He's 4-4 as a starter, the definition of capable backup.

I'm also referring to post Brady. Belichick didn't have a QB, he was fired. So... Mayo has 2 losing seasons and a medicre season because they don't have a QB, then what happens? He gets fired?

Maybe the trick is to get a QB!

Agreed! Let me ask. What do you think about a second for fields? Taking Harrison Jr at #3?
Either that or Bowers, after Gronk I have huge affinity for TE's...
Many will say that is a step down from Harrison, but don't trust Marvin's son, cause never liked dad. That is a stupid reason, but my mind works in mysterious ways.

This is irrelevant but Zappe is a capable backup. He's 4-4 as a starter, the definition of capable backup.

I'm also referring to post Brady. Belichick didn't have a QB, he was fired. So... Mayo has 2 losing seasons and a medicre season because they don't have a QB, then what happens? He gets fired?

Maybe the trick is to get a QB!
Mayo won't be the GM, the last 2 seasons were self inflicted, bad contracts to players, absolutely a botch job on the O line, poor staff, not 1 QB on the roster is even back up worthy right now. Yes I even meant Zappe. A capable backup IMO is browning in Cincy. Bill the GM got Bill the coach fired. Yes we are in agreement get at QB and let's go from there! Just being honest...

Either that or Bowers, after Gronk I have huge affinity for TE's...
Many will say that is a step down from Harrison, but don't trust Marvin's son, cause never liked dad. That is a stupid reason, but my mind works in mysterious ways.
No worries you have a good reason not to like someone responsible for shooting a person. I like Bowers as well. I'm not sure on what our FAs will stay/go. I'd like HH to stay but who knows?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back