PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Mankins Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are arguing that size isn't a problem with blocking for the guy who is probably the smallest TE in the NFL?

Wright's not being brought in to block in the trenches. He's a pass catcher. He will have to do some downfield blocking, but Hooman and Gronk will handle the road grading workload. Wright is the same size as Jacob Tamme, and will have a similar role.

My Pats picker is all screwed up now. Keeping three TEs? Three QBs? No Mankins? So many decisions to make, so little time.

40-70? That's quite a scale. That's 42% gap.

Why don't you narrow it down there champ.

Because unlike you I am not ready to make definitive statement, but if you want a number I will say 50 catches. That will make him fourth or fifth on the team.

Rob said it was POSSIBLE. I agree with that, though I think it's unlikely given that Wright hasn't had an offseason to get familiar with the system or on the same page with Brady. I'm not going to make a prediction until I get a sense of how Wright is adjusting and how he develops with TB, but I think your 30 is on the low side. Given what Thompkins and Dobson produced last year, I think that is a reasonably starting point for Wright this year given his late arrival. I also don't think Mankins is anywhere near a Pro Bowl caliber guard at this point, though the Pro Bowl is based more on reputation than play (he wasn't Pro Bowl caliber last year, either).

Of course it's POSSIBLE.

But the reason why I don't think it will happen is because the same reasoning your giving (not familiar with the offense, having Brady's trust) and the fact that we have established guys who clearly have Brady's trust already.

Mankins, as much bashing as everyone has dished on him since he became and ex-Patriot, is still a good player. One of the best guards in the league.

That is my argument to Robo and Bruins.

Huh?!? Your argument that the offense is definitely worse this year because of this trade. If you weren't sure what we are getting you wouldn't be arguing that.

I am actually arguing what you claim to be arguing even if I am optimistic about Wright.

Of course it's POSSIBLE.

But the reason why I don't think it will happen is because the same reasoning your giving (not familiar with the offense, having Brady's trust) and the fact that we have established guys who clearly have Brady's trust already.

Mankins, as much bashing as everyone has dished on him since he became and ex-Patriot, is still a good player. One of the best guards in the league.

Mankins is a good guard, but not one of the best guards in the league. There are probably 10-15 guards better v

Of course it's POSSIBLE.

AS is Tim Wright as a move TE...a place we have a complete void.

And as mentioned, these established guys, again, 2 are a question mark as far as performance and 2 others have had 1 healthy season between them.

And then Gronk and nobody behind him. And Gronk has been injured.

You cant play the Mankins "history of quality play" game but not play the "WR injuries/question marks" history game.

past history shows us that Mankins was very solid and dependable and our receivers are not at all.

Last edited:
LOL. No that was not mocking.

Me posting about bumping this thread at the end of the year and saying how silly your argument is, is mocking you.

Making fun of your 40-70 reception prediction is mocking you.

When this thread is bumped at the end of the year and Wright has less than 30 receptions. That will also me me mocking you.

You have fun with that Skippy. You mock yourself far better than I could. You are all over the place with your "objectivity". You on one breath say the offense will definitely be worse and the claim you don't know what Wright will bring.

If you can't see I gave wide range because I don't know how the Pats are going to use him to start, whether Gronk or Edelman will stay healthy all year, etc. means I cannot make a hard prediction before he ever even takes the field, I am sorry for you.

Condon, Wright may not be a big factor of all of the other receivers are killing it. And if they are and Brady is not on his ass, then good trade.

If it falls apart and Brady is knocked around all year, then you can say it was a bad trade. But somehow this team keep succeeding. Its a next man up philosophy that seems to be working.

Condon, Wright may not be a big factor of all of the other receivers are killing it. And if they are and Brady is not on his ass, then good trade.

If it falls apart and Brady is knocked around all year, then you can say it was a bad trade. But somehow this team keep succeeding. Its a next man up philosophy that seems to be working.

I'm not disagreeing with all this man. I was just assessing the trade and how I thought our team was after the fact for this year.

Hopefully Wright will not have to be called on to be a main target and Mankins' replacement is good enough.

The team always has had to take a decline in one area to improve in another. And lets face it TE depth sucked.

Your Record speaks quite eloquently enough for itself.

But this Post, in particular, was magnificent.

Thanks for the too-kind words and I'm glad you found something to like there. But when I talk about the smart football guys here I mean exactly that - I am just happy to have this board to learn from.

I see there is a lot of debate about Wright's value to the team, so here's my two cents.

The "move tight end" or, in other words, the big wide receiver who doesn't block and typically lines up on the inside but can be flexed out (or even occasionally put in the backfield), has become almost a regular position in the NFL. Almost all of the good offenses in the last five years have had someone at this position who makes a big impact.

Patriots- Aaron Hernandez
Saints- Jimmy Graham
Packers- Jermichael Finley
Broncos- Julius Thomas
49ers- Vernon Davis

These guys cause a big problem, as we've seen with Hernandez and Thomas first hand, since they require a defense has a freak Jamie Collins-type or a big defensive back (think Talib on Graham) to shut them down. Of course, it often requires the defense's best player to move to cover the move tight end, leaving someone else to handle the outside receivers.

Particularly with the Patriots history of the two TE offense, I think it's critical that they have someone who is a threat in that position. If Gronkowski is injured, we saw that Hernandez did a good job picking up the slack, even though he was not a blocker, the offense was still breaking records. When Gronkowski is on the field along with the TE2, the offense is running at full strength, and we've seen how unstoppable they can be.

I am guessing that Belichick brought in Brandon LaFell as a guy who could fill-in as the move tight end from time to time, but I think that Wright fits the mold better and provides depth to a position that is overlooked, as some think he is a "backup tight end" when in fact his role in the offense is critical. In addition, there are very few real "move tight ends" in the NFL that can really play the position well, which is why we've seen teams try to convert basketball players like Graham and Thomas. Basically, it is someone who is in between a WR and TE but who can handle the physicality of playing inside. Wright was a WR in college.

I don't think that he is that similar to Hernandez in the sense that he isn't as shifty or fast, so I'm not expecting miracles, but he is far better than LaFell at that position. Just because he doesn't have the talent of Hernandez doesn't mean he won't be very successful in this offense. Hernandez was more explosive, but Wright is 6'4", whereas Hernandez was 6'1". He will be difficult to cover in other ways.

Hernandez and Wright had roughly the same amount of catches, yards, and TDs in their rookie years. Hernandez had Brady, whereas Wright played in one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Belichick likely got the inside info on Wright through Schiano.

I like this acquisition. I predict he will have a much more important role in the offense that people are forecasting.

They don't run the rote tree most WRs do. It all depends on how they are used. Hernandez in 2012 had a more complicated one working as both an H-Back and TE.
I dont agree that a WR has a more complicated playbook that a TE, and of course Wright will be learning at least HBack and TE.

Tom E. Curran @tomecurran
Asked source if Tim Wright was in danger of being released had he not been dealt..."No chance he was going to be cut." #PatriotsTalk

Glad that was put to bed. Of all of the reasons not to like this trade, that was a pretty dumb one. Bad system fit or not, they weren't going to cut the guy.

He's no Logan Mankins

Tom E. Curran @tomecurran
Asked source if Tim Wright was in danger of being released had he not been dealt..."No chance he was going to be cut." #PatriotsTalk

I always thought it was ludicrous to think that a team would cut a second year player who was second on the team in receptions, yards, and TDs. The whole he was getting cut thing is based on one comment by Lovie Smith that he back tracked on several days later saying Wright had a good camp, but a bad day the day he made the original comment.

This jibber jabber continues on talk radio, so much so have to switch the channel.. the underlying argument seems to be that in his waning years BB wants to weaken the protection for Brady.. but they keep saying he allowed 11 sacks on Brady last year. Classic doublespeak...

They keep referring how BB let Welker walk, while in reality the Pats offered him more money at least twice, and his agent advised him to walk away, but they never mention that.. then they revert to Randy Moss or something else.

The underlying implication is that BB is doing this to make this team weaker... I think sometimes they should be forced to listen to themselves in some sort of "Clockwork Orange" aversion therapy sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft