PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Mankins Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
More hilarity - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/brady-is-indeed-upset-about-mankins-trade/

"per a source familiar with Brady’s thinking on the topic." ..hahaha

If you want laughs...read those comments from the brain squad at the bottom. Also the cesspool has some great lines from the loveable jets fans!

This is the best:

I don’t blame him…..How much do the Patriots really care about winning at this point if they don’t put good players around him and aren’t willing to spend the money? It says to me they see the end of Brady’s time in NE coming, and a rebuild will commence thereafter, and they don’t want to be tied up in salary cap BS….A shame for guys in the “win now” mode, but I guess he’s stuck, and surely frustrated. Probably now feels like he should have gone all Drew Brees on them and demanded big $$$ when he had the chance

This is the most overblown story. Brady just lost a friend from the team. Is he upset that he feels it was a bad move or yet another one of his friends were let go. And let's not forget that was his initial reaction because he was told in practice. When he digests the situation, he may feel differently.

Oh, sure. He's dealt with this kind of thing before. It's part of the deal when you work for Bill Belichick. But Ken's "It should be clear to one and all that THIS day was coming" was going a bit far, I think. It was a shock that no one predicted, although as good travellers on the Patriots bandwagon we can now see why it makes sense.

OMG does this mean I will have to change my jersey?

If you want laughs...read those comments from the brain squad at the bottom. Also the cesspool has some great lines from the loveable jets fans!

This is the best:
I love the hate! Most people don't realize that the Patriots have rebuilt already. They're a young team. They just did it without going in to tank mode or having a down year. They went to the SB (2011) during their reubuilding year!

in sort of related news, apparantly Tim Wright is going to wear #81 with the patriots...kind of funny considering the last move TE who wore #81

Lets hope by December that Wright will have us all saying "Aaron who?" ;)

A few comments on the comments of the last few pages.

1. I think it was Nunchucks who made a very insight comment (BTW an insightful comment is often equal to one I agree with. ;) ) He stated that the Pats didn't NEED a move TE, they LACKED one. I think this is an important distinction and one that should temper the expectations of fans about Tim Wright.

2. I see Wright as being a player who now creates more formation flexibility for Josh, and several more options for him down on the GL. But that's all. I have few expectations for him over the next month or so. For me, I'd be happy with 30 catches THIS year as long as 5 of those are for TD's

3. My biggest fear is having to deal with the mediots who will all be on "I told you so mode" the first time Brady is sacked, and every time he's sacked. They will instantly forget that Brady was sacked 40 times last season, and Mankins was supposedly responsible for about a quarter of them.

4. The opportunity to get a developmental move TE who has the kind of potential and proven production on the cheap for the next 3 season, combined with the elimination of big cap number from a player wasn't play up to it. (BTW- in fairness its almost impossible for a player to play up to the cap numbers some of these back end loaded contracts create) And I would hope the development of Devey, Kline, and the 3 draft picks were also part of that equation.

5. So here are my predictions (hopes) for this season. Mankins will have another solid year for the Bucs, and they will be very happy with him. Wright will catch at least 30 passes and have 5 TD. And most importantly, Brady will be sacked less than 30 times this season.

6. Like all the trades of this kind, it carries a certain level of risk and reward along with a ton of emotional baggage and regret. It should be clear to one and all that THIS day was coming for Logan Mankins because of a combination of his cap number, his unwillingness to restructure, and the fact he was no longer playing at an elite level. What is surprising is that it happened this soon and this suddenly at the end of TC.

I look forward to revisiting this this thread in the dog days of the next off season to see how it all turns out.

Ken,

I usually agree with you, but the Pats needed Wright or another receiving TE. Maybe not a move TE, but a TE who could back up Gronk and be insurance if he is hurt again (and I am a guy who believes that Gronk will play the entire season this year).

To your other comments:

• I agree with this position flexibilty. Think of all the different formations they can throw at opposing offenses this year. Two TEs, two RBs, four and five wide sets. The addition of Wright just makes it that much harder for other teams to prepare for the Pats.
  • As for the mediots' "I told you", unfortunately it is the name of the game. If the Pats cut the sacks down to something like 10 this season and Brady is sacked up the middle in the Super Bowl and the Pats lose because the Pats give up a last minute TD, those guys will be in "If Mankins was on the team, the Pats would have won the Super Bowl" even if Wright has three TDs in the Super Bowl. Felger and Mazz already say the Pats could have both Mankins and Wright if they wanted to.
  • The whole idea of a Win-Win for this trade is being missed by both sides of the argument. The Pats may not miss Mankins, get solid production from Wright, and Mankins plays well for the Bucs. Granted then both sides will be in "I told you so" mode.
  • If I remember correctly I said before the offseason that I thought Mankins could get cut. I said after Wilfork renegotiated and he didn't that this would be last year here. He was doomed to be divorced from the team either before this season or next.

And then you are not arguing anything except that Wright won't do much of anything and being anything but objective. The guy had arguably a better rookie season than either Gronk or Hernandez (although Gronk did have a lot more TDs) yet you think there is no way he could upgrade the offense even with the loss of Mankins.

But that is the type of rational objectivity I would expect from you after all those years of you objectively predicting doom for this team. :rolleyes:

Dude, are you dense. I'm not saying he doesn't have the physical skills. I'm saying it's going to be hard for him to overcome the fact that he hasn't had OTA reps, training camp reps, and preseason reps with Brady for Brady to trust him to the point that his impact will be greater than what Mankins would have done for us this year. And add to the fact that Brady has a pretty solid group of receivers he already trust, it's not a far fetch idea that Wright is going to be even less productive than last year where he was the #2 guy in Tampa.

You are either a fool or drinking too hard the Patriot cool aid if you can't understand the simple logic in what I'm saying.

I love the hate! Most people don't realize that the Patriots have rebuilt already. They're a young team. They just did it without going in to tank mode or having a down year. They went to the SB (2011) during their reubuilding year!
A lot of it isn't even hate..it's pure not knowing anything about the situation.

I dont think its Maninks production could be > Wrights production or potential

Isnt it Mankins potential product VS Wights potential + Mankins replacement. Or something

Math is not my thing.

A lot of it isn't even hate..it's pure not knowing anything about the situation.
Ignorance? Hate? I welcome all because it just makes it much sweeter when NE beats their team's ass.

I'm sorry, but the Pats are an old team. It's a well-known fact. I hear it on ESPN and NFL Network all the time.

I'm sorry, but the Pats are an old team. It's a well-known fact. I hear it on ESPN and NFL Network all the time.
No young guys on D at all...I am very mad like TFB right now!

Dude, are you dense. I'm not saying he doesn't have the physical skills. I'm saying it's going to be hard for him to overcome the fact that he hasn't had OTA reps, training camp reps, and preseason reps with Brady for Brady to trust him to the point that his impact will be greater than what Mankins would have done for us this year. And add to the fact that Brady has a pretty solid group of receivers he already trust, it's not a far fetch idea that Wright is going to be even less productive than last year where he was the #2 guy in Tampa.

You are either a fool or drinking too hard the Patriot cool aid if you can't understand the simple logic in what I'm saying.

Dude, I have already said multiple times that there is a chance that he doesn't pan out. I never said otherwise. I just think the Pats seem to love the guy and are going to make him part of the offense. So I expect him to have a similar year he had last year which on an offense with Brady is not a huge stretch even if he drops to the third to fifth option (Remember in 2011 there were four receivers with 50 plus catches on this team and that was a year Welker caught 122 balls) or better. I am not guarantee it.

On the other hand, you have already guaranteed the offense is going to be worse without Mankins and with Wright and seem to guaranteed Wright will have a significant drop off from last year.

Plus, if Klein becomes the LG and he is 80% of Mankins (not last year's Mankins which would suck for a guard to be 80% of him, but when Mankins was really good) and Wright gives the Pats 25-30 catches, 300-400 yards, and 3-4 TDs; the offense will be better without Mankins.

100% on the money, that's exactly what has taken place, they are now positioned for a great 3 year run with this team. It could extend beyond that but the next 3 seasons they primed to win another Lombardi.

Dude, I have already said multiple times that there is a chance that he doesn't pan out. I never said otherwise. I just think the Pats seem to love the guy and are going to make him part of the offense. So I expect him to have a similar year he had last year which on an offense with Brady is not a huge stretch even if he drops to the third to fifth option (Remember in 2011 there were four receivers with 50 plus catches on this team and that was a year Welker caught 122 balls) or better. I am not guarantee it.

On the other hand, you have already guaranteed the offense is going to be worse without Mankins and with Wright and seem to guaranteed Wright will have a significant drop off from last year.

Plus, if Klein becomes the LG and he is 80% of Mankins (not last year's Mankins which would suck for a guard to be 80% of him, but when Mankins was really good) and Wright gives the Pats 25-30 catches, 300-400 yards, and 3-4 TDs; the offense will be better without Mankins.

I agree with some of this rob but Kline is not 80% of Mankins at All Pro level. I don't even know if he's ever taken a regular season snap let alone 4/5 of one of the best guards of this era.

This is the best:

To be fair the jets last Super Bowl was before the Carter Administration so no fan base knows more about not winning now than they do.

I was worried about the Oline before the trade . Loss of a good team player and leader ....Didnt see this coming.
We will remember it well if Brady gets killed because he lacks protection......

I agree with some of this rob but Kline is not 80% of Mankins at All Pro level. I don't even know if he's ever taken a regular season snap let alone 4/5 of one of the best guards of this era.

I didn't mean All Pro level. I don't know if Mankins has been 80% of his All Pro level for a while. I meant when he was really good which is probably two or three years ago. Mankins was not all that good last year. Eighty percent of that would be a a major failure.

To be fair the jets last Super Bowl was before the Carter Administration so no fan base knows more about not winning now than they do.

Bills fans are up there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey