PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis & Galloway, anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about the play in the 1st quarter or the should've-been-a-TD in the 2nd? For the latter, I'm guessing that if Galloway had been seeing what Brady was seeing, he would have turned earlier and caught it in stride for 6.

Like patchick, based on this game and practices, I'm disappointed in Galloway thus far - suffice to say, he doesn't seem to be on the same page as Brady,yet.

I was referring to the near-TD in the 2nd quarter; I forget the play in the 1st quarter.

Early days, Brady was as much out of timing with Galloway as he was with Tommy - let's allow the professionals to take the steps they know are necessary and see what they make happen.

I was really underwhelmed with Galloway's performance last night.

Edelman shined though. He looked great.

Edleman is NOT a one-day wonder. He has spent most of camp working with the first unit. He has been the #3 WR receiver throughout camp. Galloway has looked lost since he got here. I expect him to get better or be cut.

If Galloway make the team, Lewis will need to make the team as a special teamer. I expect him to make the team. He has a reasonable long-term contract.

Several posters have said, in praise of Edelman, that he looks like our third-best receiver. And he certainly does -- but is that by default?

Galloway didn't look good vs. Philly, and to my eyes hasn't shown up well in practices either. As for Lewis, the only reason he didn't show up on anybody's "losers" list last night is that he was too invisible to notice.

Any thoughts on the presumed #3 & 4 receivers?

I think the big story is Edelman making the roster. A lot of people scratched their heads when we took the QB/conversion project in round 7. Amazing that a 7th round rookie is going to stick to this stacked of a roster.

Last edited:
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Edelman wasn't getting jammed at the line at all ... let's see how he does when teams scheme against him before we annoint him #3. He's not going to be #3 anyways as he's a duplicate of Welker. We would be more apt to see Edelman in 4 man sets as opposed to 3 man sets. We will see him on series where Welker needs a breath or when we have 4 man sets. He's more of a #4 than a #5 ... is he strong enough of a receiver to play outside ... I doubt it. Perhaps in a year or 2 if he adds more muscle.

I didn't see him fight off jams, catch with someone hanging all over him or see him leap and fight for a high throw. He ran cherry plays and the Eagles were letting him run free. He was running against LB'ers and SS's. I'll like him better when he proves he can deek out a CB or do any of the above 3 things.

Last edited:
Early days, Brady was as much out of timing with Galloway as he was with Tommy - let's allow the professionals to take the steps they know are necessary and see what they make happen.

Hey Box, want to try that post again with different names? :confused:

Hey Box, want to try that post again with different names? :confused:
Early days, Tommy was as much out of timing with Joey, as Joey was with Tommy - somedays it takes two to screw up... Clarify things any better? :)

(I haven't seen Tommy throw anything to Lewis yet when watching this game, but Greg did have a nice screen block as well as his block to help spring that new kid's PR TD, what's his name, you know who I mean?)

All I know is that with Moss and Welker on one side and Galloway and Edelman on the other side, opposing defenses are going to have fits.

Ok, I just got through watching the 1st half again and Patchick I want to let you know that Lewis shined in the offense.

Catches (0) - Blocks (Priceless)

He will make the 53. He is the best blocking receiver I've seen. (Plus he blew away two defenders on the punt to free Edelman.)

He was out there to free Edelman, Moss, RB's etc to get into the secondary. He was like a TE. In the Philly game he was there for that. After its on film, in another game they could mix it up and pass to him when the defenders are avoiding his blocks.

Football is about STRATEGY not the BALL.

Totally agree. On that 5 yd TD inside slant (probably not a route Galloway is typically used to running :cool: ), by the time Joey (Galloway :D) got his head around, the ball was alreadly bouncing off his arm. He clearly wasn't expecting it in there that quick. He had the inside step and Tommy (Brady :D) prolly didn't need to Cannon the ball in at Mach 2 either. For sure Galloway spent a career catching balls from the likes of Garcia, King and Quincy Carter :singing: , so this "new ball" must be taking more time to "get" . I expect that that thier timing will significantly improve with more game reps (it better).

Also, I'd put that 1st incompletion on both of them. Not a great ball. Plus Moss was open not 5 yards away. :eek:

Last edited:
So IMO..........

Moss - Starting flanker/split end
Galloway - Starting flanker/split end
Welker - Starting slot
Edelman - 4-wide, backup slot, special teams
Aiken - Backup split end, special teams

Lewis looking for injuries to stick but time runs out when/if Tate comes off PUP.

Bravo. Excellent analysis. I was assuming though, that Tate was not going to be available at all this year. Is it really possible he could join the team later on?

Bravo. Excellent analysis. I was assuming though, that Tate was not going to be available at all this year. Is it really possible he could join the team later on?

He hasn't gone on IR yet, AFAIK, so, yes (although if he's on PUP to start the season, he has to come off sometime before Week 12 or so).

Lewis is a JAG. Always has been. I don't know why anyone would expect a whole helluva lot out of the guy. As for Edelman, I'd like to see a little more out of him before he's anointed the second coming of Biletnikoff.

Last edited:
It's too bad he has problems with the rowdy powder.

Its called booger sugar

Edelman may be the third QB for this team so we can have 6 WR on the roster. Also how about a quick screen pass to Edelman where he then throws it downfield.

I thought it was called shnizzy?

I really, really want to see the Edelman Option used (successfully, of course) against the jesters & dolts & esp. doofins (will serve 'em right).

"The Edelman Option": sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel.

Ok, I just got through watching the 1st half again and Patchick I want to let you know that Lewis shined in the offense.

Catches (0) - Blocks (Priceless)

He will make the 53. He is the best blocking receiver I've seen. (Plus he blew away two defenders on the punt to free Edelman.)

He was out there to free Edelman, Moss, RB's etc to get into the secondary. He was like a TE. In the Philly game he was there for that. After its on film, in another game they could mix it up and pass to him when the defenders are avoiding his blocks.

Football is about STRATEGY not the BALL.

Understood, he's a fine blocker, and I don't discount that. But how are you seeing him used?

If we call 3 WR the Patriots' "base" with Moss wide and Welker in the slot, there's a "starting" spot left to be claimed. (Let's assume that Edelman is a slot alternative and 4-wide guy.) Does Lewis routinely line up wide opposite Moss due to his blocking skills? Or are you proposing he makes the roster as a core special teamer with occasional strategic reps on offense?

It seems to me that this offense is really relying on Galloway to come around. It's still likely that he will. (Remember how in the pre-Moss&Welker days we assumed it took ages for a QB & WR to develop rapport?) But in the practices I've watched as well as the Philly game, Galloway stood out to me as being completely off-kilter and out of sorts. I'll be reassured when that starts turning around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe