PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lewis & Galloway, anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do indeed suggest that Lewis makes the roster as a core special teamer with occasional reps on offense. We then have: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Lewis and Aiken. Absent injuries, the top three should get almost all the reps. After all, our #4 receiver is Faulk and our #5 receiver is touchdown maker Chris Baker.

BTW, if Edelman continues to progress, Tate could end up on IR instead of PUP.

Understood, he's a fine blocker, and I don't discount that. But how are you seeing him used?

If we call 3 WR the Patriots' "base" with Moss wide and Welker in the slot, there's a "starting" spot left to be claimed. (Let's assume that Edelman is a slot alternative and 4-wide guy.) Does Lewis routinely line up wide opposite Moss due to his blocking skills? Or are you proposing he makes the roster as a core special teamer with occasional strategic reps on offense?

It seems to me that this offense is really relying on Galloway to come around. It's still likely that he will. (Remember how in the pre-Moss&Welker days we assumed it took ages for a QB & WR to develop rapport?) But in the practices I've watched as well as the Philly game, Galloway stood out to me as being completely off-kilter and out of sorts. I'll be reassured when that starts turning around.

Last edited:
Lewis is a JAG. Always has been. I don't know why anyone would expect a whole helluva lot out of the guy. As for Edelman, I'd like to see a little more out of him before he's anointed the second coming of Biletnikoff.

Everyone's a jag with people on here !

Hobbs in a JAG. Beisel is a JAG, Fernando is a JAG, C. Brown is a JAG... oh, wait a minute...

I doubt BB will be judging either Lewis or Galloway on a single preseason game or on a dropped ball or two. If the drops become consistant then something will be done. Until then he is looking for the proper technique and correct route running. For a wideout being in the right place at the right time is the name of the game. And a drop or two doesnt change the fact that the route was run correctly. Only time will tell for these guys.

I do indeed suggest that Lewis makes the roster as a core special teamer with occasional reps on offense.

Yep, I know you were suggesting that...and I agree with you. :) (I was responding to another poster who seemed to be proposing a broader offensive role for Lewis based on his blocking prowess.)

We then have: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Lewis and Aiken. Absent injuries, the top three should get almost all the reps. After all, our #4 receiver is Faulk and our #5 receiver is touchdown maker Chris Baker.

Again, I agree completely...which is why I'm getting a little anxious for signs that Galloway's ready to start clicking with this offense. Perhaps I'm more anxious than most because he looked particularly bad in the practices I've attended.

BTW, if Edelman continues to progress, Tate could end up on IR instead of PUP.

Assuming that Tate is recovering as expected, PUP should fit his schedule perfectly. The 3 weeks of live practice pupsters are allotted before decision time can be his personal training camp, even if they do IR him afterward.

The question has it's own thread, oddly enough one you started, this one is talking football instead of comedy, please don't hijack it.

not to mention it is the second time he said it in this thread.

The question has it's own thread, oddly enough one you started, this one is talking football instead of comedy, please don't hijack it.

not to mention it is the second time he said it in this thread.

Intential duplicate

Again, I agree completely...which is why I'm getting a little anxious for signs that Galloway's ready to start clicking with this offense. Perhaps I'm more anxious than most because he looked particularly bad in the practices I've attended.

If Edelman continues to progress and Galloway continues to show struggles than Yuo can use Welker as split end 3 wide and Edelman in the slot as well as Lewis split end and Welker in the slot. Welker has proven he can do it all.

With Welker and Moss likely to catch between 80-100 passes, Faulk being Faulk, and some versatile TEs who can line up all over I think the split end opposite Moss becomes less urgent.

Not to mention Galloway and Lewis are good options for it and should they both not pan out there is a possibilty of getting Tate back though I wouldn't rely on Tate he is the 3rd option here and likely it would take a few weeks into the season before you called the first to option a bust.

I am anxious to so who gets the reps but not anxious of bust because most teams would love to have our A and B options and be worrying about C which with the players above is more like option E or F

If Edelman continues to progress and Galloway continues to show struggles than Yuo can use Welker as split end 3 wide and Edelman in the slot as well as Lewis split end and Welker in the slot. Welker has proven he can do it all.

No disrespect to Welker, but that is not an optimal situation. The Pats are at their best when they can force the defense to defend all areas of the field. Moss demands the attention of a corner and a safety over the top. Welker in the slot forces the defense to be in a nickel formation a lot of the time and he still owns the short middle of the field. Galloway outside makes the other safety stay home to defend the deep half of the field opposite Moss. Add in a TE that can threaten the deep middle of the field and a RB that can block and take a swing pass in space...and the defense doesn't have much of a chance against Brady.

Now split Welker out wide and put Edelman in the slot. The deep half opposite Moss is relatively unthreatened and that allows the defense to press up and blitz more effectively.

While I'm not saying that a Welker/Galloway grouping opposite Moss is "better" than an Edelman/Welker pairing, I do contend that just the threat of getting deep on a #2 CB in single coverage is a significant advantage. Galloway doesn't have to catch many passes to make life easier for the rest of the Pats offense.

No disrespect to Welker, but that is not an optimal situation.

never said it was optimal....I was refering to someones angst over if Galloway, who seems to be struggling a little, were to not work out.

Personally I am not that worried about Galloway because of whay Stallworth did 2 years ago...he was a good threat opposite Moss in 07 and eventually lost his job to Gaffney because he persumably struggled with the playbook. I think A) Galloway is likely a smarter player than Stallworth and B) he is at least the deep threat that can keep a safety home as you mentioned.

Now watching the replay on NFLN; and looking a second time at the near-TD, I place more blame on Galloway now than I did after the first viewing. He should've turned around much sooner than he did; he was wide open almost from the get-go, and as soon as he knew that, he should've been looking at the QB.

We need Galloway as our other outside guy; if Bill doesn't see improvement vs. the Bungles, then he needs to start considering other options before the season starts.

Are you talking about the play in the 1st quarter or the should've-been-a-TD in the 2nd? For the latter, I'm guessing that if Galloway had been seeing what Brady was seeing, he would have turned earlier and caught it in stride for 6.

Like patchick, based on this game and practices, I'm disappointed in Galloway thus far - suffice to say, he doesn't seem to be on the same page as Brady,yet.

O.K. Cousins I am going to start something to get nailed for. THE TRADE! The Bengals are hurting on the O-Line and TE. We have a surplus of OT's and TE's but I am not sold on Galloway, and Lewis is just a # four or five WR his career. The Bengals have gotten Coles as a FA and they say Chris Henry is having a spectacular camp and is still young. They say he has got his act together. They also have some younger receivers in Andre Caldwell and Purify. How about OT Wes Britt or O'Callaghan and Ben Watson for Chad #85 and a reasonable pick? With Vollmer, Levoir and the remainder of these two, you have decent depth at OT. One of these guys is going from above mentioned.

For any Chad haters, who would you rather have, Galloway or Chad on the field with Welker and Moss? Then Galloway, Edelman and Lewis as your reserve WR's? With Aiken as your ST role and emergency WR.

I believe that Watson and Chad are on their last year contract. That is a wash.
DW Toys

Last edited:
O.K. Cousins I am going to start something to get nailed for. THE TRADE! The Bengals are hurting on the O-Line and TE. We have a surplus of OT's and TE's but I am not sold on Galloway, and Lewis is just a # four or five WR his career. The Bengals have gotten Coles as a FA and they say Chris Henry is having a spectacular camp and is still young. They say he has got his act together. They also have some younger receivers in Andre Caldwell and Purify. How about OT Wes Britt or O'Callaghan and Ben Watson for Chad #85 and a reasonable pick? With Vollmer, Levoir and the remainder of these two, you have decent depth at OT. One of these guys is going from above mentioned.

For any Chad haters, who would you rather have, Galloway or Chad on the field with Welker and Moss? Then Galloway, Edelman and Lewis as your reserve WR's? With Aiken as your ST role and emergency WR.

I believe that Watson and Chad are on their last year contract. That is a wash.
DW Toys
How do we have a surplus of OTs? The expectation is four make the roster, well Bussey's still nursing an injury, LeVoir remains on PUP, and there are five OTs practicing, hardly a surplus.

No disrespect to Welker, but that is not an optimal situation. T

You do realize, when the patriots go 2-wide, Welker plays outside, right? And that they don't seem to have any problem moving the ball?

You do realize, when the patriots go 2-wide, Welker plays outside, right? And that they don't seem to have any problem moving the ball?

Watch the tone. Metaphors consistently brings some of the best analysis, specifically WR-related, on this board.

Watch the tone. Metaphors consistently brings some of the best analysis, specifically WR-related, on this board.
What are you, my Mom?

Welker has proven he can play split end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing