PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leave it to Mike Lynch to make a derogatory comment about the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: leave it to Lynch to make a derogatory comment about the Patriots

"They sure didn't seem "out of gas" against Jacksonville, just to point to an easy example."

That's your opinion, which you have a right to, as do I have a right to mine. I go with what my eyes tell me and they were toast down the stretch and in the playoffs.

They beat a Jacksonville team that had won 7 of 9, losing one to the Colts by only 3 points, in Indianapolis, despite some horrible calls going against them, and the other to Houston on the last week of the season when they were resting players (quarterback included) for the playoffs. They then defeated a Chargers team that had won 8 straight games.

They were 18-0 and ahead of the Giants in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl. Every team in the history of the NFL would want to be "toast" like that.

"They beat a Jacksonville team that had won 7 of 9, losing one to the Colts by only 3 points, in Indianapolis, despite some horrible calls going against them, and the other to Houston on the last week of the season when they were resting players (quarterback included) for the playoffs." The Colts to the Jags are the Yankees to the Red Sox pre 2004; until they beat out the Colts and win that division, they are a speed bump on the way to the promised land. If you honestly can tell me they had a shot in that game vs the Patriots, let me know what you are smoking because I want some.

"They then defeated a Chargers team that had won 8 straight games." Wow. I mean just wow. You left out four tiny little details; they beat perhaps the biggest chokers in the history of the NFL (aside from two quarters in the AFCCG two years ago) in a playoff game to get to the AFC Championship game, a game in which their starting QB was playing on one leg, their starting all world tight end was playing on one foot and their all world RB was on the bench for almost the entire game. They should have blown the beat up, banged up, M*A*S*H unit Chargers off the field, yet the Chargers to their credit hung in there into the fourth quarter.

"They were 18-0 and ahead of the Giants in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl." They never, ever should have been in that position vs that team; needing a defensive stand vs Eli Manning to win the game; it should never, ever, ever, ever have come down to that. The fact that it ended the way it did shows me they were toast.

You don't think so, but guess what; you thinking it doesn't change the way it ended.

I know Mike Lynch is on All Access....and supposedly a good reporter..(Frankly I watch All Access not in anyway because of him and Halloran, who I can not stand.) But why in this time of celebrating the Celts does he make a comment about the Patriots? And I did miss some of it...so I missed the start of how he brought it up, but it was a bit about resting starters and how the team limped into the playoffs and won but barely..? Huh?? What kind of a bandwagon jumper is he?? Brings back more reason I think he's a jerk...
You are wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over-reacting. I heard the comment, and I though it was merely an honest observation. I don't recall that he literally said "limp into the playoffs". He definitely did imply that perhaps the Patriots peaked too soon, which was absolutely true.

"They beat a Jacksonville team that had won 7 of 9, losing one to the Colts by only 3 points, in Indianapolis, despite some horrible calls going against them, and the other to Houston on the last week of the season when they were resting players (quarterback included) for the playoffs." The Colts to the Jags are the Yankees to the Red Sox pre 2004; until they beat out the Colts and win that division, they are a speed bump on the way to the promised land. If you honestly can tell me they had a shot in that game vs the Patriots, let me know what you are smoking because I want some.

"They then defeated a Chargers team that had won 8 straight games." Wow. I mean just wow. You left out four tiny little details; they beat perhaps the biggest chokers in the history of the NFL (aside from two quarters in the AFCCG two years ago) in a playoff game to get to the AFC Championship game, a game in which their starting QB was playing on one leg, their starting all world tight end was playing on one foot and their all world RB was on the bench for almost the entire game. They should have blown the beat up, banged up, M*A*S*H unit Chargers off the field, yet the Chargers to their credit hung in there into the fourth quarter.

"They were 18-0 and ahead of the Giants in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl." They never, ever should have been in that position vs that team; needing a defensive stand vs Eli Manning to win the game; it should never, ever, ever, ever have come down to that. The fact that it ended the way it did shows me they were toast.

You don't think so, but guess what; you thinking it doesn't change the way it ended.

So, in other words, you have no argument except to just make things up. That's what I figured. If the Patriots were as gassed as you claim, of course Jacksonville would have had a chance to win. The Colts are by no means the biggest chokers in the history of the NFL, and saying so just shows your willingness to ignore the facts on the ground. You choose to ignore Brady's injury in the Charger's game while emphasizing the Chargers' injuries.

And claiming that the way the Patriots lost the Super Bowl shows they were toast is just ignorant and/or childish pettiness.

Last edited:

Captain of the high school debating team were you? If I don't see things the way you do, I'm making things up and ignoring the facts.

The Colts came into Foxboro in the 2004 playoffs with a historic offense, scored a whopping three points against a Patriots defense missing Ty Law and got their asses handed to them, choke number one. In 2005, they had the best record in the AFC and gagged at home to the Steelers, choke number two. Last year, they had the second best record in the AFC and lost at home to a back up QB, a banged up TE and a banged up RB, choke number three. That is a sterling 1-3 playoff record in years they had a great shot to go to and win the Super Bowl. If that is not choking, I don't know what is.

That is choking, like it or not, because you don't think so doesn't change the facts. And, they are facts, I'm not making anything up.

We'll just agree to disagree, this pissing contest is going noplace fast. The Patriots were world beaters last year in the playoffs, that's why the highest scoring offense in NFL history scored a whopping 14 points vs a team that was 13-6 going into the game and pulled what is widely ranked as the second biggest upset in NFL history (the Jets beating the Colts is and always will be #1).

Captain of the high school debating team were you? If I don't see things the way you do, I'm making things up and ignoring the facts.

The Colts came into Foxboro in the 2004 playoffs with a historic offense, scored a whopping three points against a Patriots defense missing Ty Law and got their asses handed to them, choke number one. In 2005, they had the best record in the AFC and gagged at home to the Steelers, choke number two. Last year, they had the second best record in the AFC and lost at home to a back up QB, a banged up TE and a banged up RB, choke number three. That is a sterling 1-3 playoff record in years they had a great shot to go to and win the Super Bowl. If that is not choking, I don't know what is.

That is choking, like it or not, because you don't think so doesn't change the facts. And, they are facts, I'm not making anything up.

You made up the notion of the team being toast. You have nothing of any substance to base it upon. That has nothing to do with choking, just like the Colts of 2,3 or more years ago have nothing to do with the Jaquars, or even Colts, of this past season.

We'll just agree to disagree, this pissing contest is going noplace fast. The Patriots were world beaters last year in the playoffs, that's why the highest scoring offense in NFL history scored a whopping 14 points vs a team that was 13-6 going into the game and pulled what is widely ranked as the second biggest upset in NFL history (the Jets beating the Colts is and always will be #1).

The Jaguars and Chargers were a combined 15-2 when they matched up against New England in the playoffs, yet you start spouting nonsense about the Colts choking history, the Yankees/Red Sox, and about Chargers injuries. Where were your comments about Patriots injuries in the Super Bowl? They were non-existent because they would have completely undercut your argument, such as it is. Even with Brady dealing with his ankle injury and the team losing Neal early in the game, it took a fluke catch off a receiver's helmet for the team to lose. They happen sometimes: Ask Franco Harris about it some day.

You are wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over-reacting. I heard the comment, and I though it was merely an honest observation. I don't recall that he literally said "limp into the playoffs". He definitely did imply that perhaps the Patriots peaked too soon, which was absolutely true.
It was as much the fact that he said this on a day when Boston was celebrating the Celtics...why even say anything about the Patriots..I just found it petty and out of place.and when I think of Mr Lynch talking with CoachB..nary a word like that about that to him. It's fine to have an observation that might be correct, but have the guts to say it to the right people at the right time.

It was as much the fact that he said this on a day when Boston was celebrating the Celtics...why even say anything about the Patriots..I just found it petty and out of place.and when I think of Mr Lynch talking with CoachB..nary a word like that about that to him. It's fine to have an observation that might be correct, but have the guts to say it to the right people at the right time.

I have Mike Lynch at number two on my (very short) list of Boston journalists I'd like to buy a beer (and he looks more like someone who appreciates one than Mike Reiss ;)).

Couldn't it be like this? ML had to bring in the Patriots when Boston was celebrating the Celtics because the Patriots' last game is burned deep in his mind -- like so many of us on this board!

Anyway, greetings from Europe, Stan!

Wow, Boston sports fans are a bunch of whiny sissies.

We have the best teams, the most competent coaches and all three teams (Bruins don't count... yet) played well on the highest stage of their sports; winning 2 out of a very close 3, the only loss coming after a perfect season.

Really? How must Cleveland and Philadelphia be feeling?

Get over yourselves. Spygate aside (and that's a very big aside, I'll admit), We really have very little to complain about. Go celebrate and stop whining.
No, pats726 is.:)

"you're all individuals." "I'm not."

This is assinine. Now sports anchors who work with Bill are not allowed to make mention of the team possibly peaking early in contrast to another team who appeared to peak entering their final 6 games unless they have first confronted Bill with that scenario...In one of the two 2 minute interview segments they've had since February...And I'm not sure why unless you think it's somehow insulting to consider that as a possible explanation for what happened in February. As opposed to they were out executed or outcoached, which if he did ask him, and he may have, would likely be Bill's spin in any event because he tends to perceive any other attempts (like citing injuries we're overcome in past championships sporting nohwere near the offensive fire power) to fathom what happened as looking for an excuse.

And furthermore anchors who climb on the bandwaggon of some other team they've been covering for their entire career just because they happened to win it all are apparently no longer qualified to cover the Patriots because they have failed some insane exclusive loyalty litmus test. There's a lot wrong with the attitude of the sports media in this town, and that makes it a shame when someone here smears one of the good guys who has never taken the cheap shot approach to furthering his career at any teams expense by insinuating he should have been expected to and did. He did nothing of the sort.

There is also something disturbingly wrong headed going on with a segment of this fan base who suddenly look for insult or inuendo or potential enemys behind every comment made about this team. I guess it's rooted in defensive hypersensitivity born of the whole spygate period. And as I said before in this case, discomfort rooted in dire predictions about this Celtics management that were obviously in hindsight totally off the mark.

Wow, Boston sports fans are a bunch of whiny sissies.

We have the best teams, the most competent coaches and all three teams (Bruins don't count... yet) played well on the highest stage of their sports; winning 2 out of a very close 3, the only loss coming after a perfect season.

Really? How must Cleveland and Philadelphia be feeling?

Get over yourselves. Spygate aside (and that's a very big aside, I'll admit), We really have very little to complain about. Go celebrate and stop whining.

Amen, Brotha!!!!!

Somw of thw Pats fans here are overly sensitive - and that is an understatement. My Gawd! Relax already.

Last edited:

Perhaps. Although I heard the comment, I've since forgotten the context of the moment, so I can't really press any further points on this.

I like Mike Lynch. I think he's somehow managed to slide through all the mudslinging that seems to go on within the local media. They all point fingers at each other trying to accuse each other of homerism.. He just stands there and does his job. I don't blame 726 though, this spygate crap has made us all a little crazy.... I mean, sensitive.;)

I know Mike Lynch is on All Access....and supposedly a good reporter..(Frankly I watch All Access not in anyway because of him and Halloran, who I can not stand.) But why in this time of celebrating the Celts does he make a comment about the Patriots? And I did miss some of it...so I missed the start of how he brought it up, but it was a bit about resting starters and how the team limped into the playoffs and won but barely..? Huh?? What kind of a bandwagon jumper is he?? Brings back more reason I think he's a jerk...
i heard the whole thing, he said if the pats had adam seward they would of won the superbowl

There are some on this board who think they are royalty and everyone needs to bow down to them..one can't disagree at all. Even when one doesn't even understand what was written, if one disgarees, the attacks go out personal and otherwise. Apparently there are some that must do that if one doesn't agree, bow down to the ones that "KNOW it all".
But many are just rumpswabs for the media personalities in this town..and any criticisms are smears. Forget the facts, the context or other things. Get in line and think the same.

Nah...this is just what happens when people fly off the handle and then can't intelligently back it up or admit they over reacted. It's always everyone elses fault...you know the bow down royalty, the know it alls, the personal attackers...:rolleyes:

The only problem I have with Mike Lynch is his bony ankles. You'd think a guy who obviously earns a substantial income and who clearly spends a lot of money on clothes would buy a pair of socks.

This is fun, let the pissing contest resume.......

"Where were your comments about Patriots injuries in the Super Bowl?" 18-0 all world teams overcome injuries. The Celtics had Perkins, Rondo and Pierce, three of their starting five, injured vs the Lakers, the same Lakers who were heavy favorites in the series. The Celtics won the series in six games. Everyone said Brady was fine leading up to the Super Bowl, remember? Do you have some sort of inside information you'd like to share? So the Patriots weren't toast in the Super Bowl, they had an injured Brady (according to you Sherlock) and they lost the greatest lineman in the history of the NFL in the game, so that is why they lost.

The Patriots beat the Panthers in 2004 with Russ effin Hockstein starting vs a DOMINANT Panther D line and Brady got sacked how many times in that game? Try zero. Try to bring something more to the table as this is weak ass stuff.

"it took a fluke catch off a receiver's helmet for the team to lose." Right again; the game was lost on that one play, the other 59 minutes, 50 seconds of the game had nothing to do with the final outcome right?

You are unreal.

Do we really need a new thread anytime something supposedly negative is said about the Patriots? Geesh... grow a pair and stop being such women. This woe is me complex, which a lot of Pats fans are taking on lately, is making me sick

"He contrasted how the Patriots seemed to peek early and struggled down the stretch and didn't rest anyone perhaps because of the undefeated season and seemed to run out of gas down the stretch in the playoffs. While the Celtics team seemed to be continuing to grow and really only hit their stride as they advanced through the playoffs. I think that is a pretty valid observation. And one that has been made here before."

It's a 100% valid observation, they clearly were not the same team in December and January that they were earlier in the year.

You may not like to hear it; the truth hurts, they were on fumes by the time they got to the Super Bowl.

Fumes seems a bit strong. Yes they weren't playing as well but fumes is a real leap

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes